REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: hal9000] #2972904
06/26/19 01:03 AM
06/26/19 01:03 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by hal9000
Why does it seem like 75% of surfers are trying to get sponsored, trying to be Instagram "influencers", trying to maintaining some social media presence, or are trying to be part of the surf "industry"?

Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore and not take sh*t too seriously? Am I just getting too old and jaded?

A lot of people do things, surfing being one of them, for (in their minds) the benefit of others thinking they are cool. I know a few people that “surf” in that they go to surf spots (usually well known ones), suit up and paddle out (on boards that are not for them but very popular “models”) but rarely actually catch waves. Then their IG posts will go on and on about the great session they had at (names the spot). All I can think of is that I saw you paddle out, catch zero waves (not even really making much effort), paddle back in and take photos.

Most of the time when people ask me if I surfed (usually when an overhyped swell is running) I just tell them “no”. It’s easier than saying “yes” and then avoid telling where.

I’ve made such a conscious effort NOT to promote surfing (especially my own) that after almost 40 years of riding waves there isn’t one single photo of me doing it (I am in a video on YouTube, one wave, drone footage).

Go find waves. Go surf. Have fun. I don’t really need you to tell me about it.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: hal9000] #2972908
06/26/19 01:30 AM
06/26/19 01:30 AM
Trona
K
keenfish Offline
Duke status
keenfish  Offline
Duke status
K

Trona
Social media ruined surfing. mad

And the wannabe's that came with it.

\_(''/)_/

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax
Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: hal9000] #2972909
06/26/19 01:36 AM
06/26/19 01:36 AM
Leucadia
B
b.r. Offline
Miki Dora status
b.r.  Offline
Miki Dora status
B

Leucadia
I’m the guy who my friends hate because I always go out. It’s the largest geographic feature on earth let’s go!

Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: b.r.] #2972910
06/26/19 01:37 AM
06/26/19 01:37 AM
Leucadia
B
b.r. Offline
Miki Dora status
b.r.  Offline
Miki Dora status
B

Leucadia
2nd largest when I’m in the Atlantic

Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: hal9000] #2972923
06/26/19 01:57 AM
06/26/19 01:57 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Why does it seem like 75% of surfers are trying to get sponsored, trying to be Instagram "influencers", trying to maintaining some social media presence, or are trying to be part of the surf "industry"?

Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore and not take sh*t too seriously? Am I just getting too old and jaded?

Is this observation based on viewing through the lens of social media, or are you observing people posing for pics a lot where you surf?

Yea, I see a lot of people 'thanking' a shop for supplying them with stuff® , when said stuff® was just paid for and delivered (thats how transactions work), and posting thoe hashtags to be instacool ... but that's a very narrow/skewed view. At our local beaches, luckily, you seldom see that sort of thing and everyone's just plain surfing.

I'm probably being a little hypocritical, as I've posted pics of fresh new boards thanking a shaper... but that's OK in my mind :p

Last edited by Waxfoot; 06/26/19 02:02 AM.
Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: Waxfoot] #2972929
06/26/19 02:27 AM
06/26/19 02:27 AM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Offline OP
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted by Waxfoot

Is this observation based on viewing through the lens of social media, or are you observing people posing for pics a lot where you surf?

Yea, I see a lot of people 'thanking' a shop for supplying them with stuff® , when said stuff® was just paid for and delivered (thats how transactions work), and posting thoe hashtags to be instacool ... but that's a very narrow/skewed view. At our local beaches, luckily, you seldom see that sort of thing and everyone's just plain surfing.

I'm probably being a little hypocritical, as I've posted pics of fresh new boards thanking a shaper... but that's OK in my mind :p

Both.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: GromsDad] #2972930
06/26/19 02:28 AM
06/26/19 02:28 AM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Offline OP
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted by GromsDad
Its all about the Insta.

Unfortunately true.

Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: Duffy] #2972932
06/26/19 02:29 AM
06/26/19 02:29 AM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Offline OP
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted by Duffy

Most of the time when people ask me if I surfed (usually when an overhyped swell is running) I just tell them “no”. It’s easier than saying “yes” and then avoid telling where.

I’ve made such a conscious effort NOT to promote surfing (especially my own) that after almost 40 years of riding waves there isn’t one single photo of me doing it (I am in a video on YouTube, one wave, drone footage).

Go find waves. Go surf. Have fun. I don’t really need you to tell me about it.

Agree 100%.

I look at guys out on the basketball courts or soccer fields just playing pickup games and I'm like: these guys are doing it for the pure fun of it. They're doing it right.

Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: hal9000] #2972937
06/26/19 02:44 AM
06/26/19 02:44 AM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
I really can’t stand the new generation and where surfing is going.

I’ll always love it until I die but it’s sad to see where it’s going.

I’m not even that old and I sound like a grumpy old guy.

Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: hal9000] #2972943
06/26/19 03:43 AM
06/26/19 03:43 AM
OC
F
Firebird Offline
Nep status
Firebird  Offline
Nep status
F

OC
No one is looking to sponsor my surfing, so fun is the only reason to I can think of to paddle out.
.........And maybe to hit the reset button in my brain from all of the gnarly sh!t I see at work.

Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: manbearpig] #2972946
06/26/19 04:13 AM
06/26/19 04:13 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by manbearpig
I really can’t stand the new generation and where surfing is going.

Yes, millenials suck.

Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: hal9000] #2972958
06/26/19 07:39 AM
06/26/19 07:39 AM
A
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline
Michael Peterson status
A

Its all about the Insta.

Unfortunately true.

this explains why so many of the faces at the peak are unfamiliar.

gone in a year or two - like suppers - only to be replaced by yet another unfamiliar face.

Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: manbearpig] #2972964
06/26/19 09:17 AM
06/26/19 09:17 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Online sick
Duke status
ifallalot  Online Sick
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted by manbearpig
I really can’t stand the new generation

That, in a nutshell

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: acnjusa] #2972975
06/26/19 10:38 AM
06/26/19 10:38 AM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Originally Posted by acnjusa
Its all about the Insta.

Unfortunately true.

gone in a year or two - like suppers - only to be replaced by yet another unfamiliar face.

You could be onto something. I'm now one of the old guys. These days it seems to be a constant rotation of new faces and none of them seem to get any better than that stage where they are just good enough to be a pain in the ass. Sad thing is that thanks to modern wetsuits, surf forcasting and flex work schedules its now a year round problem where it used to only be a thing for about 8 weeks in the summer.

I really miss the 80s and 90s before all the technology made it too easy to be a "surfer". I miss surfing with a hardcore group of regulars who were on it because they got up and drove to the beach and checked it in person. It took effort and you pretty much had to live locally to pull it off.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Does anyone just go out and surf for fun anymore? Or am I just getting old? [Re: GromsDad] #2972993
06/26/19 01:18 PM
06/26/19 01:18 PM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Offline OP
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted by acnjusa
Its all about the Insta.

Unfortunately true.

You could be onto something. I'm now one of the old guys. These days it seems to be a constant rotation of new faces and none of them seem to get any better than that stage where they are just good enough to be a pain in the ass. Sad thing is that thanks to modern wetsuits, surf forcasting and flex work schedules its now a year round problem where it used to only be a thing for about 8 weeks in the summer.

I really miss the 80s and 90s before all the technology made it too easy to be a "surfer". I miss surfing with a hardcore group of regulars who were on it because they got up and drove to the beach and checked it in person. It took effort and you pretty much had to live locally to pull it off.

I remember when kids would have to ride their bikes or skateboards to the beach to check surf. Now they have their own personal limo service. Surf mom and surf dad are way too accommodating.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32