REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970105
06/19/19 12:35 AM
06/19/19 12:35 AM
Tuna Town/Baja
G
grg Offline
Miki Dora status
grg  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Tuna Town/Baja
Didnt Anthony Bourdin do a show about that island?

google search

yes he did, https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hawaii-bourdain-parts-unknown/index.html

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970108
06/19/19 12:44 AM
06/19/19 12:44 AM
M
McHatin Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
McHatin  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

It's so localized, you can't even mindsurf it

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970115
06/19/19 01:20 AM
06/19/19 01:20 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
[Linked Image]

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: wouldie] #2970116
06/19/19 01:28 AM
06/19/19 01:28 AM
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

Originally Posted by wouldie
Originally Posted by manbearpig
Originally Posted by PPK96754
Originally Posted by manbearpig
The outer islands seem kind of gnarly to surf as a visitor unless you know a local.

I do really want to do a fly fishing trip there.

Bonefish ~

Yes sir!

You guys got some monsters over there.

Also one of the few areas it’s not heralded as a game fish only, but eaten too if I remember correct. Unique to HI.
Some Molakai guys taught me how to make "spoon meat" from o'io

hahaha
my uncle taught there's three types of "spoon meat"

the first is for lomilomi oio and opelu
you know your mom/aunty loves you when she spends the time to give you a boneless experience to gobble up
one scoop lomilomi (with limu kohu, green onion and inamona) with a little chili pepper water followed by a spoon of poi
yum yum so ono

the second is the meat of a baby coconut
just like haupia

which leads to the third..
the lucious inner thighs
of your young innocent haole lady friend

whenever my cousin who was a well known local surfer/musician in the 70's would show up with his newest haole girlfriend at a family occasion at a chopsuey house all my drunk uncles would be hilariously screaming "spoon meat" and raising a toast to my cousin and his friend. It was years before it was explained to me what they were all talking about.

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: oneula] #2970130
06/19/19 02:13 AM
06/19/19 02:13 AM
J
JSC Offline
Grom
JSC  Offline
Grom
J

Folks on Moloka'i and Hawai'i in general can afford to be locals - with some of the most generous welfare benefits in the US, up to the untaxed equivalent of an income USD $60k annually. With that kind of money, you can drive off all visiting surfers and enjoy your island and your traditional values of pig hunting, mullet fishing, drinking beer, smoking methamphetamine and beating up on visiting haole.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/it-pa...-receive-highest-welfare-benefits-in-us/

Unlike say surfing locations like Morocco, Costa Rica or Bali where local surfers get all the waves they want and have businesses that provide accommodation, food and drink, transportation and information to visiting surfers - and get paid for it. They can't live off welfare benefits so they work and welcome visitors - and their money.

Tahiti and the other Society Islands receive generous welfare benefits from the French government - and share a similar "locals only" attitude with Moloka'i. Don't see or hear of many surfers going to Raiatea or Huahine, do you?

Localism is an attitude born of economics, not culture.

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970132
06/19/19 02:21 AM
06/19/19 02:21 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
^^^
This is important and needs to be shared. It's had a generational effect on the community.

I just didn't want to share it.

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970166
06/19/19 05:21 AM
06/19/19 05:21 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Lived on Oahu for a while back in the early 90's after college. Randomly met a Canadian Guy that lived in a guest house right on the beach at Portlock area when I was scoping out surf shortly after arriving (I was in Hawaii Kai). He couldn't legally work there since a Canadian citizen...was a computer whiz (designed video games, etc.) and got free rent. Googled him recently...apparently he got in early on the internet...one of the early founders of a company that they sold for a lot of money...did well and back in Canada now.

Well, he knew a Haole teacher on Molokai (originally from Washington), and they invited me over there for a while. He was teaching at the only school on the island...high school from what I recall. Everybody knew him and would wave at us wherever we went. The people were cool and down to earth although he complained about their lack of motivation as students. Recall him saying that some of their parents would grow pakalolo, and they will do the same thing so what good is school? I thought it was really authentic there with the local vibe...like Oahu 100 years ago. Only 3 hotels on the island back then and not much else...no fast food, or even stop lights from what I recall. Didn't surf, but bodysurfed a big wide expansive sandy beach that got deep quick and had some power one day. Kanemitsu Bakery had some great stuff! Beautiful waterfall hike in Halawa area. And yes, they did say that when the alcohol starts flowing at night if you go out as a Haole at the few nightspots and a fight breaks out, clear out of there real quick. And yes, that did happen when we were watching a local band at the Pau Hana Hotel one night...bailed out of there in a snap! Wonder if that hotel is still even there? Good memories of Molokai back then...will have to make it back there (and to the islands) someday!

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970176
06/19/19 06:17 AM
06/19/19 06:17 AM
S
slopokecr Offline
Billy Hamilton status
slopokecr  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
S

Halawa is one of those magical places. There is a public park there, but if you show up, you will be greeted by a Solatorio who will politely size you up to figure out wtf you are doing there. Pay him the $70 to take you to the waterfall-worth it. You will get a bona fide cultural experience. They will tell you that that their family owns the whole valley, which they do not. Ask the locals, about this and you will get various stories. Be respectful, give more than you take, and you will be fine.

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970208
06/19/19 12:13 PM
06/19/19 12:13 PM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Offline
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
Gotta love a classic GD ghosting.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: JSC] #2970262
06/19/19 02:55 PM
06/19/19 02:55 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted by JSC
Tahiti and the other Society Islands receive generous welfare benefits from the French government - and share a similar "locals only" attitude with Moloka'i. Don't see or hear of many surfers going to Raiatea or Huahine, do you?

Localism is an attitude born of economics, not culture.

Surfed both and the secret was dawn patrol.
I was able to get 2+ hours with one or two other guys. I was told by the concierge at the hotel that the locals like to sleep in.
As soon as you could see 'em coming out on their boats it was the next water taxi in for us.
To tell you the truth though, I was never really hassled by the locals, it was the damn tea bag'n froggies that were a pain in the ass.

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: Duffy] #2970408
06/19/19 06:58 PM
06/19/19 06:58 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Originally Posted by Duffy
[Linked Image]

MOLOKAI .... dummy
ooops duffy

wink2

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970514
06/19/19 11:04 PM
06/19/19 11:04 PM
Location Location
Y
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status
youcantbeserious  Offline
Michael Peterson status
Y

Location Location
We used to go a lot, but to hunt and fish, not to surf. There are a few surf spots, but nothing major. Great fishing and hunting though, mule deer, axis deer, tons of opihi all over. I have two good friends from there, one works for the DLNR and one runs a fishing boat, both born and raised. Great place but its best if you know somebody. Those guys don't fvck around.

The Norton Antivirus guy bought a bunch of acreage there when the ranch closed, moved there and built a house. He was pretty low key, bought computers for Ho'olehua High School, people liked him. He claimed he just wanted to retire somewhere quiet. But he was working to rezone the land on the down low, and after a year he took out a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal advertising mini estates. Long story short a few people bought in and started building. Big mansions, really nice. As soon as they were framed, boom, they got torched. Burned to the ground. No mini estates on that land today, and computer guy went home.

Moloka'i is la'a, sacred, ka wahi o na malu, a place of secrets. You can feel it. Nowhere to mess around.

I've been banned from better websites than this one.
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970524
06/19/19 11:37 PM
06/19/19 11:37 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline OP
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline OP
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
What did you hunt there? Hogs? Other critters?

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: grg] #2970552
06/20/19 12:54 AM
06/20/19 12:54 AM
kauai- excramento
J
James -Bummer Jim-Devlin Offline
Michael Peterson status
James -Bummer Jim-Devlin  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

kauai- excramento
Originally Posted by grg
Didnt Anthony Bourdin do a show about that island?

google search

yes he did, https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hawaii-bourdain-parts-unknown/index.html

https://archive.org/details/AnthonyBourdainPartsUnknownS05E07Hawaii

" It is not how good you are at something, it is how good that something makes you feel"
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970571
06/20/19 01:20 AM
06/20/19 01:20 AM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted by GromsDad
What did you hunt there? Hogs? Other critters?
:24

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32