REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2969902
06/18/19 06:48 PM
06/18/19 06:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,017
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
**
O

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,017


meanwhile on PPK's bit of heaven

locals fighting back against tourist disruption

Last edited by oneula; 06/18/19 06:55 PM.

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2969905
06/18/19 06:58 PM
06/18/19 06:58 PM
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 6,737
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
***
R

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 6,737
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been a couple times, there's a place on the East end that my wife likes to stay. There's a couple spots, but nothing crazy good. A left reef, a right river mouth and the beachbreak sandbars on the west side. I wouldn't call it a surf destination. All the shores that face directly north (to get NW Winter swells) are inaccessible by car - you need a boat. There's probably spots on the North side but I have no idea. Surfers on that island don't surf unless it's firing.

Kauai and Oahu are so much better and have so many more spots that Molokai doesn't seem worth a surf trip to me.

I have a friend who's family goes back 5 generations on the island. He told me three crazy stories.
1. Back in the 70s a group of Oahu heavies went over and bought some land to start growing weed. They started growing weed then went to strong arm the local on Molokai. Told them that Oahu was taking over and beat the shit out of one Molokai heavy. Well, the other Molokaians heard and got together with rifles. These guys are all hunters. Chased the Oahu guys up into the valleys and shot them all. No other mafia went over after that.

2. Kelly Slater was heading over to Molokai with a filmer in the 90's and word got out before hand (probably through flight attendants and pilots). He was greeted at the airport by a bunch of Molokai heavies. They told him he was welcome to surf there but could not film one clip. If they saw the camera out, then there would be a punishment. The camera never came out.

3. Two Californians were filming on the Westside. A truck rolls up and a local paddles out on a longboard with a 5gal bucket on his board. He paddles right up behind the two Californians and flips his bucket full of pig guts, then catches a wave in.

Last edited by Racer1; 06/18/19 07:00 PM.
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2969956
06/18/19 08:17 PM
06/18/19 08:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 602
California/Hawaii
M
Muscles Offline
Nep status
Muscles  Offline
Nep status
**
M

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 602
California/Hawaii
Kauai is fine to surf as a visitor as long as you use common sense. Wait your turn, don't snake people and back paddle others, and don't be an ass and you will probably be OK at most spots. I've never been hassled.

My friend lives on Molokai and said it gets good but it is nothing like Oahu and Kauai because of its location.

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2969979
06/18/19 09:30 PM
06/18/19 09:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,017
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
**
O

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,017
there was a spot by the old sheraton that keone downing told my brother about but ts a long sharky paddle only good in the winter
but its not worth the hassle when there's other options

its funny how Ha'ole minded surfers think about breaks looking at maps trying to "score"

way different than when the pioneers back in the 70's kind of just went out and "discovered"
fiji, garangan, uluwatu, lost island of santosha

My calabash cousin (Nakeu Awai's nephew) married a Dudoit but got blackballed off the island for being a druggie, He eventually died of an overdose in the gutters of oahu. They had two boys who are probably in their 30's-40's by now.

I heard of a rift between Emmett Aluli and Walter Ritte. I think Walter felt Emmett sold out to the "man"

A full hawaiian (punahou grad) UW classmate got his masters in social work and wanted to better the state of Hawaiians (this was just after Hokulea). So they shipped him to molokai as a social worker to work with the local hawaiians but after a half a dozen years he got so pissed off and upset at the lazy ass hawaiians he was trying to help that he returned to Oahu, got his law degree and became a corporate lawyer to "get his" instead of helping others.

Molokai people are proud bunch. My grand aunt taught there for many years in the 40's-50's. At a party whenever Molokai Nui Ahina plays she and anyone else from molokai would stand and sing proudly the words to that song. I've only seen that with people from Molokai. It's like their national anthem.

Molokai Nui Ahina by the Tita

Last edited by oneula; 06/18/19 09:35 PM.

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2969987
06/18/19 09:56 PM
06/18/19 09:56 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,780
.`..`.><(((>
F
Fuller Offline
Tom Curren status
Fuller  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
F

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,780
.`..`.><(((>
Just imagine "Deliverance" being played on a Ukulele


Aloha
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: oneula] #2969995
06/18/19 10:09 PM
06/18/19 10:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,480
9
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
*
9

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,480


Damn, that's dark times. I love Kauai, but resist going back because I know I am only perpetuating an already strained situation.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done to make it better..??.. The information age has changed things, and nothing is sacred unless it is very very hard to get to.


"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: PPK96754] #2970040
06/18/19 11:09 PM
06/18/19 11:09 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,716
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
M

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,716
in the bathroom
Originally Posted by PPK96754
Originally Posted by manbearpig
The outer islands seem kind of gnarly to surf as a visitor unless you know a local.

I do really want to do a fly fishing trip there.



Bonefish ~

Yes sir!

You guys got some monsters over there.

Also one of the few areas it’s not heralded as a game fish only, but eaten too if I remember correct. Unique to HI.

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: GromsDad] #2970055
06/18/19 11:22 PM
06/18/19 11:22 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,017
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
**
O

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,017
Awa and oio
poke and lomilomi
super ono
grew up catching and eating awa poke most of my youth

right in front of our beach houses and inside of our surfspot
we would paipai net in the morning and evening and catch up 30lbers
spent an hour cleaning the limu off the next while the adults cleaned and cut up the catch for the families and then patched net
deboning oio with a spoon for lomilomi oio is a lost art

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by oneula; 06/18/19 11:36 PM.

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: Racer1] #2970060
06/18/19 11:29 PM
06/18/19 11:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,561
Gig Harbor
S
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status
shiver_me_timbers  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
S

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,561
Gig Harbor
Originally Posted by Racer1
I've been a couple times, there's a place on the East end that my wife likes to stay. There's a couple spots, but nothing crazy good. A left reef, a right river mouth and the beachbreak sandbars on the west side. I wouldn't call it a surf destination. All the shores that face directly north (to get NW Winter swells) are inaccessible by car - you need a boat. There's probably spots on the North side but I have no idea. Surfers on that island don't surf unless it's firing.

Kauai and Oahu are so much better and have so many more spots that Molokai doesn't seem worth a surf trip to me.

I have a friend who's family goes back 5 generations on the island. He told me three crazy stories.
1. Back in the 70s a group of Oahu heavies went over and bought some land to start growing weed. They started growing weed then went to strong arm the local on Molokai. Told them that Oahu was taking over and beat the shit out of one Molokai heavy. Well, the other Molokaians heard and got together with rifles. These guys are all hunters. Chased the Oahu guys up into the valleys and shot them all. No other mafia went over after that.

2. Kelly Slater was heading over to Molokai with a filmer in the 90's and word got out before hand (probably through flight attendants and pilots). He was greeted at the airport by a bunch of Molokai heavies. They told him he was welcome to surf there but could not film one clip. If they saw the camera out, then there would be a punishment. The camera never came out.

3. Two Californians were filming on the Westside. A truck rolls up and a local paddles out on a longboard with a 5gal bucket on his board. He paddles right up behind the two Californians and flips his bucket full of pig guts, then catches a wave in.


These stories make me happy. Thanks Racer1.


"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: oneula] #2970067
06/18/19 11:36 PM
06/18/19 11:36 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,267
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
***
P

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,267
Originally Posted by oneula
Awa and oio
poke and lomilomi
super ono
grew up catching and eating awa poke most of my youth

right in front of our beach houses and inside of our surfspot
we would paipai net in the morning and evening and catch up 30lbers
spent an hour cleaning the limu off the net while the adults cleaned and cut up the catch for the families and then patched net
deboning oio with a spoon for lomilomi oio is a lost art



bowdown


It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: manbearpig] #2970072
06/18/19 11:45 PM
06/18/19 11:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 57
Heaven, Corner of Red Stripe a...
W
wouldie Offline
Grom
wouldie  Offline
Grom
*
W

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 57
Heaven, Corner of Red Stripe a...
Originally Posted by manbearpig
Originally Posted by PPK96754
Originally Posted by manbearpig
The outer islands seem kind of gnarly to surf as a visitor unless you know a local.

I do really want to do a fly fishing trip there.



Bonefish ~

Yes sir!

You guys got some monsters over there.

Also one of the few areas it’s not heralded as a game fish only, but eaten too if I remember correct. Unique to HI.
Some Molakai guys taught me how to make "spoon meat" from o'io

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: wouldie] #2970081
06/19/19 12:13 AM
06/19/19 12:13 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,716
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
M

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,716
in the bathroom
Would love to try it.

Always found it interesting as a fly fisherman. Hawaii is a bit of an outlier with bones. Even the islanders in the Caribbean seldom eat them; they’re fished for extensively but almost exclusively as catch and release game fish.

Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: wouldie] #2970086
06/19/19 12:17 AM
06/19/19 12:17 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,048
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
H

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,048
Neck deep
Went for small masonry jobs a few times, expensive cost since production is low and barging materials in was it. Went on boat trips there with fellow valets. Some for escort boat, mostly for fishing, surfing, experience no people. Bummed at the floatsam and jetsam on the N/NW side beaches. Serene is the word I think of when someone says Molokai. The cliffs are just pure beauty.

Or is it Moloka'i? Any wiser then me know?


I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: HarryLopez] #2970088
06/19/19 12:18 AM
06/19/19 12:18 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,048
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
H

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,048
Neck deep
Beautiful stories as well all! bowdown jam_on


I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Re: Surfing on Molokai??? [Re: oneula] #2970100
06/19/19 12:29 AM
06/19/19 12:29 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,230
Trona
K
keenfish Offline
Duke status
keenfish  Offline
Duke status
***
K

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,230
Trona
Originally Posted by oneula
Awa and oio
poke and lomilomi
super ono
grew up catching and eating awa poke most of my youth

right in front of our beach houses and inside of our surfspot
we would paipai net in the morning and evening and catch up 30lbers
spent an hour cleaning the limu off the next while the adults cleaned and cut up the catch for the families and then patched net
deboning oio with a spoon for lomilomi oio is a lost art

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]


Those look like Milkfish? Beeg ones!


\_(''/)_/

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32