REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: everysurfr] #2968328
06/14/19 11:05 PM
06/14/19 11:05 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by everysurfr

I'm honestly surprised casa isn't homeless. He fits the personality.

applause2 roflmao

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: bird.] #2968332
06/14/19 11:14 PM
06/14/19 11:14 PM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

Originally Posted by bird.
That sounds like mental illness to me shrug
Fine line between mental illness and just being a scumbag.

Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: Coat Hanger] #2968352
06/14/19 11:43 PM
06/14/19 11:43 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
All these white homeless people are dealing with loss aversion.

Getting stuff taken off your plate hurts your feelings and makes you not want to play ball anymore.

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: Coat Hanger] #2968358
06/15/19 12:03 AM
06/15/19 12:03 AM
California USA
J
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status
JEwing  Offline
Tom Curren status
J

California USA
Rumor is, the next busload of illegals from the DRC is unloading in an alley off the corner of East 5th and South San Pedro.

I was a little bit smarter and quicker than everyone else, so I've been able to live the way I've wanted to live - Mickey Dora
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: ifallalot] #2968363
06/15/19 12:06 AM
06/15/19 12:06 AM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by BillyOcean
I used to walk through Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village every morning and see this homeless guy passed out on a bench with a bunch of empty mouthwash bottles surrounding him

Imagine being such an alcoholic that you’d drink 3 large bottles of listerine every day

Can’t really call that a choice

It started as a choice, and even in the worst depths of addiction it requires choices to stay clean

These people are only victims of themselves

From the man who thinks that depression is a choice as well as poverty.

"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: BillyOcean] #2968367
06/15/19 12:10 AM
06/15/19 12:10 AM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Originally Posted by ifallalot
I used to walk through Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village every morning and see this homeless guy passed out on a bench with a bunch of empty mouthwash bottles surrounding him

Imagine being such an alcoholic that you’d drink 3 large bottles of listerine every day

Can’t really call that a choice

It started as a choice, and even in the worst depths of addiction it requires choices to stay clean

These people are only victims of themselves

Free will is a spectrum

I’m not saying addicts, homeless, etc have no responsibility but the level of meaningful choosing really varies

If you are mentally handicapped do you really understand the risk of taking heroin?

I had an uncle who developed schizophrenia in college

He was a math major at an Ivy then went completely off the rails and disappeared

My other uncle found out a couple of decades later that he died as a homeless man

People think they have their shit together but you never really know

But if they made the right choices in life they could live in a big house in the OC and in a sexless marriage.

"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: Coat Hanger] #2968372
06/15/19 12:16 AM
06/15/19 12:16 AM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

There are all kinds of homeless. Some are regular people who fell through the cracks, have no family and had a financial disaster and wound up on the street. Look at the stats on how few people can handle a 500 dollar emergency without financial stress. And from there, do they abuse drugs/alcohol? F yes. If I was living in a box down by the river and I could numb myself for a few hours, I'd probably want that more than food.

And yes, some are vets, but tons of them aren't. Tons of them are in fact mentally ill. And I don't mean slightly. I'm talking "I hear voices, I'm Jesus, aliens kidnap me every Thursday" etc. People who are mentally ill like that self medicate. I don't care where they are. In the absence of someone qualified taking care of them, they will deaden the voices any way they can. And I can't really blame them. I have one friend from high school who is schizophrenic. He lives in the river bottom. If he's still alive anyway. I haven't seen him in a few years now.

Then there are the ones who simply don't want to work. They dig the gutter lifestyle. I know a few of them. One of them is from a fairly wealthy home. Could go home anytime. Chooses not to. I had a father and son homeless family who lived under a bridge by my shop. I tried to help the kid. I gave him work. Roberts Surfboards did the same. I went so far as to secure housing for them. The condition of the housing was no drugs, no prostitution. They chose the bridge. Then the father was sending the kid over to me with obviously stolen merch for me to purchase. I had to stop trying to help. I found out the kid's mother lived in town and had a decent life. The son could have gone home anytime. But life with mom carried conditions. School, no police, no drugs/booze, clean up and come home at night. Kid didn't like it. He liked living the adventure underneath the bridge. Getting high, stealing shit, etc etc. I saw him a few months back. Barely recognized him. He started to wave at my truck but I pretended not to see. I can't do anything for someone who won't try. And a lot of them will NOT try. When I was setting up the housing, the people running it told me that was a common problem. You can't give free housing away to a lot of them.

Maybe they come to their senses down the line and get some help. And no matter how they got there, addicts? There's not much help for poor people that are addicted. Rehab is for rich people. Poor people either quit or die. And they do it alone.

"fvck this country." - Frvcus
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: i_shapes] #2968373
06/15/19 12:18 AM
06/15/19 12:18 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted by i_shapes

Then there are the ones who simply don't want to work.

The cost of living that way (working for low wages where the money doesn't go far) is perceived neurally as too high.

The parasite lifestyle is perceived as safer (lower resource cost).

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: Coat Hanger] #2968376
06/15/19 12:32 AM
06/15/19 12:32 AM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

I dunno about California

Living outside there is maybe not so painful

In the northeast, if you sleep outside in the winter, you might die

Being homeless up here seems de facto crazy

Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: Autoprax] #2968379
06/15/19 12:42 AM
06/15/19 12:42 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by Autoprax
Originally Posted by i_shapes

Then there are the ones who simply don't want to work.

The cost of living that way (working for low wages where the money doesn't go far) is perceived neurally as too high.

The parasite lifestyle is perceived as safer (lower resource cost).

To some extent I think you're correct.

Those that give panhandlers money have created a situation where they can make just enough money to maintain their addictions.

And then the homeless by preference have figure out how to work the system.

I think there are many other things that factor in though.

If you can't deal with following someone else's instructions, have anger issues, and have issues with maintaining your commitments or being punctual you're on the road to nowhere.

Factor in a pot or alcohol habit and you're fucked.

Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2968688
06/16/19 03:48 AM
06/16/19 03:48 AM
Central Cal
L
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status
Leaverite  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Central Cal
Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta
California is on it.

They already have a plan to euthanize them that's working through Sacramento even as we speak - it outlaws common types of rat poison.

Using typhus and bubonic plague to deal with the homeless problem - genius!

https://a50.asmdc.org/press-release...se-destructive-rat-poisons-moves-forward

I believe California has a plan to round them all up and put them to work building the high speed rail line.

Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: Leaverite] #2968696
06/16/19 03:59 AM
06/16/19 03:59 AM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Originally Posted by Leaverite
California is on it.

They already have a plan to euthanize them that's working through Sacramento even as we speak - it outlaws common types of rat poison.

I believe California has a plan to round them all up and put them to work building the high speed rail line.

roflmao
Live where you work shrug

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless? [Re: grapedrink] #2968721
06/16/19 11:53 AM
06/16/19 11:53 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by grapedrink
Originally Posted by Leaverite
California is on it.

roflmao
Live where you work shrug

Carbon neutral living

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32