REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Big Island breaks #2967889
06/14/19 01:48 AM
06/14/19 01:48 AM
F
Frosurfer Offline OP
Grom
Frosurfer  Offline OP
Grom
F

Hey guys... so I used to be active on here under a different name, JakeC, but I lost the login info so I had to create a new account. Anyways since then I moved to Arkansas and haven’t surfed in years. I am traveling to the big island in two weeks, and I definitely want to paddle out. Can anybody suggest some good breaks that someone who is probably basically a beginner again could surf. Preferably close to Kona (staying near the Four Seasons)

Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Frosurfer] #2967891
06/14/19 01:54 AM
06/14/19 01:54 AM
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

kahalu'u-keauhou
has a beachcam on surfline
board rental across the street

or banyans

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Frosurfer] #2967914
06/14/19 02:40 AM
06/14/19 02:40 AM
san diego
T
tsenn Offline
Gerry Lopez status
tsenn  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
T

san diego
Check with the couple in Puna...

Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Frosurfer] #2967946
06/14/19 04:33 AM
06/14/19 04:33 AM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Banyans is locals spot. The entry is a bit tricky.

Lymans is a good wave and on the softer side when it’s smaller. Still a bit of a tricky entry.

I’d start with Pine Trees just past the airport. Good access and novice friendly for sure.

If you make it to the east side Honoli’i is a really cool spot.

Only naming spots because these are all well known and right off the side of the road.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Frosurfer] #2968256
06/14/19 07:18 PM
06/14/19 07:18 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
when you paddle out at pine trees start far to the left and work your way over to the main peak. some of the coral closer to the main wave as you walk out is brutal sharp.

Re: Big Island breaks [Re: obslop] #2968416
06/15/19 01:43 AM
06/15/19 01:43 AM
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

Neck deep
Dad had a friend with a boat in Keahou. We stayed in Kona town always and bodysurfed when in town. Always felt sharky out there!

I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Re: Big Island breaks [Re: 92122] #2968425
06/15/19 02:19 AM
06/15/19 02:19 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by 92122

Lymans is a good wave and on the softer side when it’s smaller. Still a bit of a tricky entry.

I’d start with Pine Trees just past the airport. Good access and novice friendly for sure.

Only naming spots because these are all well known and right off the side of the road.

Yeah, the boys at Banyans don’t fook around. I paddled out there last august on a Wavestorm and a skinny little Hawaiian kid called me out right away. Signaled to some moke who paddled out to (I assumed) kick my ass. Turns out this guy was someone I had trained with the night before.

After some laughs he told I should go pick up an Arakawa for the next time...

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Frosurfer] #2969648
06/18/19 06:59 AM
06/18/19 06:59 AM
Hawai'i
B
Bullnutts Offline
Nep status
Bullnutts  Offline
Nep status
B

Hawai'i
Originally Posted by Frosurfer
Hey guys... so I used to be active on here under a different name, JakeC, but I lost the login info so I had to create a new account. Anyways since then I moved to Arkansas and haven’t surfed in years. I am traveling to the big island in two weeks, and I definitely want to paddle out. Can anybody suggest some good breaks that someone who is probably basically a beginner again could surf. Preferably close to Kona (staying near the Four Seasons)

Near the Four Seasons. So you at Kukio or across the street at the Charles Schwab compound? Don't think Kona Village opened up again.

Best bet for you is get a wavestorm from Costco and surf Pinetrees (access through Kohanaiki), Wear booties if you get haole feet.

Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Bullnutts] #2969904
06/18/19 06:53 PM
06/18/19 06:53 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Honokohau (Kohanaiki) up to PineTree's once belonged to my Ohana. You had to drive over the lava in a jeep to access the beach. The PineTree's, was a "landmark" for the fishermen out on the ocean and very prominent. Throughout the years they were slowly cut down to provide fires on the beach in the evenings. Not much left anymore.

If you dive around the Kohanaiki area, some very interesting things to see related to old Hawaii.

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Duffy] #2969909
06/18/19 07:04 PM
06/18/19 07:04 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted by Duffy

Yeah, the boys at Banyans don’t fook around. I paddled out there last august on a Wavestorm and a skinny little Hawaiian kid called me out right away. Signaled to some moke who paddled out to (I assumed) kick my ass. Turns out this guy was someone I had trained with the night before.

Good to know everything is working accordingly over there.

Re: Big Island breaks [Re: PPK96754] #2969942
06/18/19 07:52 PM
06/18/19 07:52 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by PPK96754
Honokohau (Kohanaiki) up to PineTree's once belonged to my Ohana. You had to drive over the lava in a jeep to access the beach. The PineTree's, was a "landmark" for the fishermen out on the ocean and very prominent. Throughout the years they were slowly cut down to provide fires on the beach in the evenings. Not much left anymore.

If you dive around the Kohanaiki area, some very interesting things to see related to old Hawaii.

We really enjoyed walking up the shoreline from old harbor north past the golf course to nearly the point west of the airport.

Had to zig-zag our way in parts, cool off in the ocean more than once, but boy, did I wish there was some swell to see that part of the coastline holds. Probably just wishful thinking on my part since it was so beautiful.

Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Racer1] #2969961
06/18/19 08:28 PM
06/18/19 08:28 PM
California/Hawaii
M
Muscles Offline
Nep status
Muscles  Offline
Nep status
M

California/Hawaii
Originally Posted by Racer1

The wavestorm is ruining one of my favorite spots. I surf a restricted east side break on Oahu and it is overrun with wavestorm riders who have no understanding of etiquette. They constantly get in the way, try to back paddle, drop in, shoulder hop, and just annoy the regulars. Not one of them can surf competently. All they do is stand up and ride down the shoulder.

Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Racer1] #2970117
06/19/19 01:32 AM
06/19/19 01:32 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by Racer1

Yeah, I picked up a used Arakawa at a little shop on Ali’i that afternoon and surfed it again and then again the next day. On our way out I saw that skinny kid (probably in his 20s) parked at Banyans in his ridiculously lifted and beat up old Toyota pick up (with tiny little wheels on it shrug). I walked up to his truck and from the look of him he thought I was going to kick his ass.

I gave him the Arakawa.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Big Island breaks [Re: Frosurfer] #2970125
06/19/19 01:58 AM
06/19/19 01:58 AM
lava tube, Hawaii
K
Kincaid Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Kincaid  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
K

lava tube, Hawaii
Limited choices, but beginners are best going to Kahalu'u or the bay at Pinetrees. Small beach break waves at the Waipio or Polulu might work too. Also, fun body surfing Magic Sands or Kua Bay near 4Seasons. I can loan you a wavestorm or log if you need a board.

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32