REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2967393
06/13/19 12:18 PM
06/13/19 12:18 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta
My 2 cents

I'm shocked the Fever won.

I didn't think Mick looked that great on it compared to the other boards...I would have guessed one of the worst of the bunch.

Mick is still my favorite to watch surf. Prob the best surfer on the planet right now.

That said, other than watching Mick surf a variety of waves in pretty much unknown locations, WTF was the point of all that?
A bunch of shapers with a bunch of different constructions shaping a bunch of different boards. There was no real constant (standard foam with a stringer) to make a real valid comparison.
You could have great board ruined, or complimented, by the materials it's made from.
Further - very few of us have the money to be fvcking around with alternative constructions. Who is buying these gimmicky boards?

I thought the Roberts looked good, but is anyone buying the RFT-XXX tech (or whatever it's called)?

You can have a great board ruined by a bad stringer. Stringered blanks aren't a constant. Variations in one stringer to the next for the exact same everything can add variability to performance. Lots goes on with blanks behind door number 1 in the process.

The current surfboard market is more than just about the shape. For many that has just become a starting point. Dial in a shape and then get one that lasts longer on the next go around. And like new models there are guys that move around in different constructions for the chase of it.

There are many that go all the way with the most complicated constructions like Rob's RFT-TDD where the blank is built for the board you ordered. With epoxy he has 4 options on the site plus a kiteboard option and a suggestion of epoxy over poly as an option. That's not counting what you can get from XTR, Varial or in a Sustainable build. And beyond those as a custom shop there's all kinds of derivatives customers ask for or Rob suggests. Some only who see the board in person get to know about. Many surfboards made where for the customer cost isn't much a concern, crazy colors on top of those constructions.

Then aside from working on new designs at a knowledge that goes way beyond what most assume, many board makers like Rob are material scientists on top of it. He is constantly working on new construction options with blank, cloth, graphite and resin manufacturers. For him it's fun and he feels his duty as an innovator to come up with new versions or combinations of those components to improve or create ways how a design might be built.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: surfwhere] #2967399
06/13/19 12:29 PM
06/13/19 12:29 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by surfwhere
Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta
My 2 cents

I'm shocked the Fever won.

I didn't think Mick looked that great on it compared to the other boards...I would have guessed one of the worst of the bunch.

Mick is still my favorite to watch surf. Prob the best surfer on the planet right now.

That said, other than watching Mick surf a variety of waves in pretty much unknown locations, WTF was the point of all that?
A bunch of shapers with a bunch of different constructions shaping a bunch of different boards. There was no real constant (standard foam with a stringer) to make a real valid comparison.
You could have great board ruined, or complimented, by the materials it's made from.
Further - very few of us have the money to be fvcking around with alternative constructions. Who is buying these gimmicky boards?

I thought the Roberts looked good, but is anyone buying the RFT-XXX tech (or whatever it's called)?

You can have a great board ruined by a bad stringer. Stringered blanks aren't a constant. Variations in one stringer to the next for the exact same everything can add variability to performance. Lots goes on with blanks behind door number 1 in the process.

Good point

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967404
06/13/19 12:34 PM
06/13/19 12:34 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Oh My

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967494
06/13/19 02:55 PM
06/13/19 02:55 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida

Last edited by Greg Griffin; 06/13/19 02:58 PM. Reason: Wrong thread :-)
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: Greg Griffin] #2967553
06/13/19 03:53 PM
06/13/19 03:53 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted by Greg Griffin
"It's Kelly's own design that he made on CAD."

Creating such a board as your first in CAD is close to IMPOSSIBLE .

Well it says in the description that Kelly had help and from various sources along the way with the design. As we all know, he has access to a lot of different shapers.

Being that Kelly is also very interested in board design and has studied it for years, I don't think it's too far fetched that he had a go on CAD and got advice from various people on how to tweak things to make it what it is now.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967599
06/13/19 04:36 PM
06/13/19 04:36 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Well it says in the description that Kelly had help and from various sources along the way with the design. As we all know, he has access to a lot of different shapers.

Defroster needs to realize this .

GWS helps many make their boards .

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967619
06/13/19 05:16 PM
06/13/19 05:16 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Always nice to watch mick surf. It was impressive how accurate he was when guessing who shaped each board.

2 out of 4 SITD's has seen the JS board breaking in the first couple waves. foreheadslap

The pyzel looked interesting. Would like to go back and watch again but I felt like he was holding his rail a bit longer on it or something was different there.

Mayhem always gets the "easy to surf" label.

The DHD looked best under his feet which isn't surprising.

One thing which made this episode not my favorite was that he never really critiqued the boards. He's just too nice and diplomatic. Another thing I didn't especially enjoy was the narration. Something about that dude's voice makes me want to slap him. What happened to the woman who's done all the previous ones? She was awkward at first but she grew on me.

Also knowing the winner in advance really does spoil the first viewing but no one could have predicted that, right?

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: freeride76] #2967638
06/13/19 05:51 PM
06/13/19 05:51 PM
F
fishtank Offline
Gerry Lopez status
fishtank  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
F

not bad, still wouldn't shell out any money for it. probably the least entertaining of the 4 SITD thus far.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967682
06/13/19 07:04 PM
06/13/19 07:04 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Mick seems like a really cool guy, humble and grateful. It's not in his DNA to speak negatively like we'd want him to and I appreciate that.

If Stab wants someone to be brutally honest, they'll have to use someone who's detached from the industry or someone older. A retired pro, a promising grom that fizzled out or a really good surfer who works in a different industry (I can think of one who is an architect and two who are engineers and all surf at a high WQS level).

Last edited by Racer1; 06/13/19 07:05 PM.
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967685
06/13/19 07:06 PM
06/13/19 07:06 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
Gerrrrrrrrr would be entertaining.

Would love to see him meditate with the board before each surf.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967688
06/13/19 07:09 PM
06/13/19 07:09 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
But it's going to be Parko next

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967692
06/13/19 07:14 PM
06/13/19 07:14 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
I think Mick's surfing was really good... possible the best surfing out of all the SITD surfers. He is the only SITD surfer that has won a world title so its not surprising!

Of course I would have liked to have seen the Tomo board surfed in better conditions than 1ft slop in Japan. The DHD and the Tomo looked like the only boards that were surfed in the smaller conditions. All the other boards where surfed in the Typhoon swell and in AUS.

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: Racer1] #2967695
06/13/19 07:17 PM
06/13/19 07:17 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted by Racer1
Mick seems like a really cool guy, humble and grateful. It's not in his DNA to speak negatively like we'd want him to and I appreciate that.

If Stab wants someone to be brutally honest, they'll have to use someone who's detached from the industry or someone older. A retired pro, a promising grom that fizzled out or a really good surfer who works in a different industry (I can think of one who is an architect and two who are engineers and all surf at a high WQS level).

I think it would be awesome to see Bobby Martinez do a SITD....

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967712
06/13/19 07:50 PM
06/13/19 07:50 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Rather than saying "this board is a piece of shit," you can still be diplomatic and respectful to all the shapers by saying something to the effect of "this one didn't work for me because of xyz. I tend to like boards that have these qualities instead." I think many of the viewing public can respect the fact that there are certain characteristics in a board that are personal to an individual and those same characteristics may or may not work for others.

Attempting diplomacy by saying "this one was good" over and over ultimately makes you appear disingenuous.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: Racer1] #2967718
06/13/19 08:00 PM
06/13/19 08:00 PM
SoBay
W
waxurDyl Offline
Nep status
waxurDyl  Offline
Nep status
W

SoBay

Bobby fits that mold, that’s who I’d like to see next! He’d be brutally honest since he has no ties to the industry, other than being on CI’s team. Plus, they haven’t had a goofy footer participate yet. You listening Ashton?!?!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7