REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 34 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 33 34
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2967662
06/13/19 06:38 PM
06/13/19 06:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,338
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
S

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,338
Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted by manbearpig

He was demonetized, his videos remain.


Wait this is true? The content remains and is just demonetized???


"Do da chair know we goin' look like some punkass bitches?" - Poot Carr
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2967673
06/13/19 06:49 PM
06/13/19 06:49 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,384
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
M

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,384
in the bathroom
For the crowder example I believe so.

Which is a non issue.

Last edited by manbearpig; 06/13/19 06:49 PM.
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2967674
06/13/19 06:51 PM
06/13/19 06:51 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
B

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
Originally Posted by Sharkbiscuit
Originally Posted by manbearpig

He was demonetized, his videos remain.


Wait this is true? The content remains and is just demonetized???


You can view the asshole in question's still very much live YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIveFvW-ARp_B_RckhweNJw

Which is why I tried to explain the very real concept of "brand safety" to these jabronis and why I continue to wonder what it is they're actually upset about.

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: manbearpig] #2967678
06/13/19 06:58 PM
06/13/19 06:58 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,338
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
S

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,338
Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted by manbearpig
For the crowder example I believe so.

Which is a non issue.


It looks like you're right. I saw sites from TheBlaze to CNN saying the same thing.

The speech remains; monetization is "suspended" until he stops linking to his site with the t-shirts and whatever else he was up to.


"Do da chair know we goin' look like some punkass bitches?" - Poot Carr
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: bird.] #2967680
06/13/19 07:02 PM
06/13/19 07:02 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,656
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Online sick
Duke status
ifallalot  Online Sick
Duke status
**
I

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,656
HB, CA
Originally Posted by bird.
Originally Posted by Sharkbiscuit
Originally Posted by manbearpig

He was demonetized, his videos remain.


Wait this is true? The content remains and is just demonetized???


You can view the asshole in question's still very much live YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIveFvW-ARp_B_RckhweNJw

Which is why I tried to explain the very real concept of "brand safety" to these jabronis and why I continue to wonder what it is they're actually upset about.


You keep repeating this but you're only half right. Google has a stated Leftist agenda, and they can do whatever they want with the videos people post, either by ghosting them, demonetizing them, or outright deleting them. And they don't need to be defended or attacked for doing what they want with their platform. The problem I have is with people outright denying the agenda that Google has. Yes they are beholden to their advertisers, but that' not the only thing driving this.

The real tell is that the advertisers themselves are not making a huge show of saying they're going to pull advertising like they often do for TV pundits. That's free advertising in itself. Also, with Google's targeted ad system, the ads that would go to people watching something like Louder with Crowder aren't going to pull because he went against the Church of Political Correctness.

The proper answer is- "Youtube/Google doesn't agree with the views of this creator. We are pulling his videos because its our platform and we can. Deal with it"


My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2967689
06/13/19 07:09 PM
06/13/19 07:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
B

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
Originally Posted by ifallalot
The real tell is that the advertisers themselves are not making a huge show of saying they're going to pull advertising like they often do for TV pundits. That's free advertising in itself. Also, with Google's targeted ad system, the ads that would go to people watching something like Louder with Crowder aren't going to pull because he went against the Church of Political Correctness.


^^^ thanks for the expert opinion. You're wrong though. Aside from the one that advertisers have not made this a huge show YET. That's why Google gets out ahead of these things.

You can moan and complain that the left's out to get you all you want (you're a huge, huge victim after all), but the fact of the matter is your politics are unpopular on a macro level, especially within the demo of people who have disposable income. Like it or not, the advertisers who control vast amounts of ad spend do not want to be associated with video content which includes an asshole derogatorily calling people he has disagreements with "lispy queers." Sorry.

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: bird.] #2967700
06/13/19 07:25 PM
06/13/19 07:25 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,656
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Online sick
Duke status
ifallalot  Online Sick
Duke status
**
I

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,656
HB, CA
Originally Posted by bird.
Originally Posted by ifallalot
The real tell is that the advertisers themselves are not making a huge show of saying they're going to pull advertising like they often do for TV pundits. That's free advertising in itself. Also, with Google's targeted ad system, the ads that would go to people watching something like Louder with Crowder aren't going to pull because he went against the Church of Political Correctness.


^^^ thanks for the expert opinion. You're wrong though. Aside from the one that advertisers have not made this a huge show YET. That's why Google gets out ahead of these things.

You can moan and complain that the left's out to get you all you want (you're a huge, huge victim after all), but the fact of the matter is your politics are unpopular on a macro level, especially within the demo of people who have disposable income. Like it or not, the advertisers who control vast amounts of ad spend do not want to be associated with video content which includes an asshole derogatorily calling people he has disagreements with "lispy queers." Sorry.

The fact that Google is making these decisions ahead of complaints, and the fact that you're so sure these politics are unpopular on a macro level, is simply living in a mindset of the coastal bubble. The number of people in the middle of the country that would have a problem with someone jokingly calling someone a lispy queer is a definite minority. On top of that, this is simply proving that the outrage/PC/"high-empath" people simply cannot handle anything. Talk about victims.


My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2967704
06/13/19 07:34 PM
06/13/19 07:34 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,338
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
S

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,338
Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by bird.
Originally Posted by ifallalot
The real tell is that the advertisers themselves are not making a huge show of saying they're going to pull advertising like they often do for TV pundits. That's free advertising in itself. Also, with Google's targeted ad system, the ads that would go to people watching something like Louder with Crowder aren't going to pull because he went against the Church of Political Correctness.


^^^ thanks for the expert opinion. You're wrong though. Aside from the one that advertisers have not made this a huge show YET. That's why Google gets out ahead of these things.

You can moan and complain that the left's out to get you all you want (you're a huge, huge victim after all), but the fact of the matter is your politics are unpopular on a macro level, especially within the demo of people who have disposable income. Like it or not, the advertisers who control vast amounts of ad spend do not want to be associated with video content which includes an asshole derogatorily calling people he has disagreements with "lispy queers." Sorry.

The fact that Google is making these decisions ahead of complaints, and the fact that you're so sure these politics are unpopular on a macro level, is simply living in a mindset of the coastal bubble. The number of people in the middle of the country that would have a problem with someone jokingly calling someone a lispy queer is a definite minority. On top of that, this is simply proving that the outrage/PC/"high-empath" people simply cannot handle anything. Talk about victims.


bird imho addressed that. Do you think youtube is popular with the Trump demographic, or the Fortnite demographic?

50% of the population or so lives in a coastal county. What percent might live in a coastal state? How much of the money you think lives there?

The under 30 demo is 66/33 tipped away from the GOP.

If it's the fault of Google's leftist agenda, why does Laura Ingraham lose advertisers on her Fox News show for trying to step to The Hogg, or promoting the white supremacist (or white nationalist if you prefer) IN SPITE OF INCREASING RATINGS?????

If the middle of the country was worth the meat they're made out of, things might be different. As it stands, based on what we see on Laura Ingraham's show, to borrow one from GDaddy, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Does that not seem striking to you? The negative association is adjudged to be less lucrative than reaching a wider audience?

Last edited by Sharkbiscuit; 06/13/19 07:37 PM.

"Do da chair know we goin' look like some punkass bitches?" - Poot Carr
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2967705
06/13/19 07:36 PM
06/13/19 07:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
B

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
Originally Posted by ifallalot

The fact that Google is making these decisions ahead of complaints, and the fact that you're so sure these politics are unpopular on a macro level, is simply living in a mindset of the coastal bubble. The number of people in the middle of the country that would have a problem with someone jokingly calling someone a lispy queer is a definite minority. On top of that, this is simply proving that the outrage/PC/"high-empath" people simply cannot handle anything. Talk about victims.


How is this so hard to grasp? Let me lay it out for you:

1. Advertisers do not want their ads to be associated with potentially offensive content. Right wing or left wing or not political at all. Doesn't matter, they don't want it.
2. There are more right wing YouTubers and since the right wing is the political wing of anti-PC, they are MUCH more likely to get attention for posting offensive content.
3. Coastal elites (a.k.a. college+ educated professionals with money to spend) skew left especially on social issues. That's undeniably true and there's tons of polling data to back it up. These are the people advertisers most want to reach. And if they reach some less privileged right wing leaning folks with their ads on politically neutral, brand safe content hey that's cool too.
4. Advertisers have a history of using stories like this as a lever against Google's dominance in the digital ad space. They don't have much power in this relationship. So they pull ads and cost Google millions in revenue over the course of a few months. This has happened multiple times over the past decade.
5. Google prefers to get out ahead of these things because missing out on millions in revenue, what inevitably happens when they're not proactive about this kind of stuff, doesn't look good on a quarterly earnings report.

The videos are still on YouTube, so people who think that calling people "lispy queers" is a really funny, clever joke still get to watch what they like. They can even buy merch or support their guy on Patreon or whatever.

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2967738
06/13/19 08:39 PM
06/13/19 08:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23,258
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
**
G

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23,258
Carlsbad
Crowder's primary Youtube channel has 3.9M subscribers.

That's less than CNN's channel on YT (6.9M) or Vox (6M) but it's more than Fox News (3M), MSNBC (1.7M), or the NYT (~2M). It's 5x the actual circulation of the LA Times print edition.


Meaning, whether his views appeal to the majority of society or not he has a sizable presence on that one platform. People can call him and his views fringe but that doesn't necessarily make it so.



#sowhat
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: GDaddy] #2967740
06/13/19 08:40 PM
06/13/19 08:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
B

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
Wow thanks for that valuable insight foreheadslap

Edit: To address your edit and to give you some perspective, The Young Turks, who are probably the closest thing to a left wing version of this and who Sharkbiscuit accurately describes as irrelevant, have 4.3MM subscriptions.

If you want to consider scale vs traditional media, you are looking at the wrong accounts. For example, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon has 21.2MM.

Last edited by bird.; 06/13/19 09:24 PM.
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2967766
06/13/19 09:29 PM
06/13/19 09:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 33,957
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
**
F

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 33,957
your mom
Originally Posted by Sharkbiscuit
Originally Posted by GDaddy
Maza is just as guilty of violating the TOS as Crowder and is probably more guilty than at least some of the other channels that are getting banned and demonetized.


What do you base this assertion on?


100% vagina feels

He's been asked to explain and he doesn't want to because he can't.

Dumbest thing ever.


"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2967767
06/13/19 09:32 PM
06/13/19 09:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 33,957
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
**
F

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 33,957
your mom
Originally Posted by Sharkbiscuit
Originally Posted by manbearpig

He was demonetized, his videos remain.


Wait this is true? The content remains and is just demonetized???


It's true and it's also fvcking temporary. foreheadslap

From the amount of whining you would think they put him in YouTube jail.

He's been given a chance to not be an asshole to people.

3 strikes and you're out type thing.

But no.


"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2967794
06/13/19 10:01 PM
06/13/19 10:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23,258
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
**
G

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23,258
Carlsbad
It's being reported that Black Pidgeon Speaks just got removed from YouTube. No explanation provided.


#sowhat
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: GDaddy] #2967809
06/13/19 10:24 PM
06/13/19 10:24 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
B

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,710
LA
There's another one to file under bawling

Page 27 of 34 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 33 34

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32