REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964824
06/07/19 10:40 PM
06/07/19 10:40 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Great idea that I never expect to see implemented in my lifetime.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: rowjimmytour] #2964833
06/07/19 10:58 PM
06/07/19 10:58 PM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

Originally Posted by rowjimmytour
Originally Posted by i_shapes
Never happen. Not here anyway. If you put something artificial in the longshore drift and someone downstream has their multimillion dollar "beach house" eaten by a NW swell at high tide... you are going to be in court defending a civil suit. Not to mention what happens when some dork goes headfirst into your "reef."

There have been some great waves made with jetties. Just simple jetties. Set them at the right angle and it seems fairly predictable. That can never happen either for the above stated reasons.

Skate parks have signage to knowledge fault from law suits and could only install in places with no homes within mile etc boundry shrug

Do we still have privately owned skateparks? The last one here went out of business when my kid was little. The owner told me it was because some kid got a compound fracture, sued him and then his liability insurance went through the roof. Liability releases aren't worth the paper they are signed on. Everyone that gets surgery signs a liability release. And that release means fvck-all when the attorney goes after the Doctor for malpractice.

You could be ten miles away from a house that gets destroyed. If the insurance company can make a case that the sand that would have been in front of their clients house is not trapped ten miles away in your artificial reef? I just don't see it.

Last edited by i_shapes; 06/07/19 10:59 PM.
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: i_shapes] #2964834
06/07/19 11:03 PM
06/07/19 11:03 PM
Goleta
B
Boneroni Offline OP
Tom Curren status
Boneroni  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
B

Goleta

You could be ten miles away from a house that gets destroyed. If the insurance company can make a case that the sand that would have been in front of their clients house is not trapped ten miles away in your artificial reef? I just don't see it.

I may be wrong, but it seems that even for coastal geologists it's exceedingly difficult to prove the direct influence an up current structure on the down current sand accumulation. I mean, if we can't figure out a way to make the sand stay in one place, how could they prove the effect of something miles away?

Then again, they are lawyers and this is California, so could probably BS the judge and win the case.

Originally Posted By: PPK96754
Don't stir the pot if you don't know the ingredient.

Originally Posted By: HarryLopez
I guess the ocean is always ready to kill someone for free. laugh
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964835
06/07/19 11:04 PM
06/07/19 11:04 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
My question is this...

Why?

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964838
06/07/19 11:07 PM
06/07/19 11:07 PM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

I would love it if I was wrong. Longshore drift goes north to south in CA. If you put a structure to the north of anything that eats crap to the south, I'm thinking they will state their sand is in your reef.

And I don't see the movable thing as practical. Jetties would work. Simple.

As to why, it's crowded. There are miles upon miles of beach that contain no surf able waves.

It's like chocolate and peanut butter.

We just need to kill all the lawyers.

Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964841
06/07/19 11:13 PM
06/07/19 11:13 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
I'll be at my wave pool at O'side drive in while you losers wait around for this. I heard you get a discount if you bring a homeless person.

Last edited by Autoprax; 06/07/19 11:14 PM.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: i_shapes] #2964868
06/08/19 12:41 AM
06/08/19 12:41 AM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
T

north of the bridge
I would love it if I was wrong. Longshore drift goes north to south in CA. If you put a structure to the north of anything that eats crap to the south, I'm thinking they will state their sand is in your reef.

And I don't see the movable thing as practical. Jetties would work. Simple.

As to why, it's crowded. There are miles upon miles of beach that contain no surf able waves.

It's like chocolate and peanut butter.

We just need to kill all the lawyers.

this dovetails well with my longstanding desire to build a wall from roughly Oxnard -> Palmdale -> Needles, which would also curtail all NorCal water heading south. But your idea of extending it into the sea and blocking all swell and sand from flowing south seems prudent and reasonable as well.

Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964869
06/08/19 12:43 AM
06/08/19 12:43 AM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
Coastal circulation is a complex thing. Drop something in the water and currents change and certain areas get cut off from flow.

Imagine getting one of these things north or south of your local and suddenly you local is the next Long Beach.

Last edited by sd_101; 06/08/19 12:43 AM.
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964883
06/08/19 01:49 AM
06/08/19 01:49 AM
J
JSC Offline
Grom
JSC  Offline
Grom
J

Greg has some great ideas, some of them can work if they can get funded.

Many of the most popular and best waves in North America are completely artificial constructs - Sandspit in Santa Barbara, Huntington Pier, Newport Jetties, Ala Moana, Sebastian Inlet, etc.

All built with no reference or research into their viability to produce good surfing waves - was not a consideration at all.

If it can be done by accident it can certainly be done by intent.

Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964908
06/08/19 03:06 AM
06/08/19 03:06 AM
NOC
L
laidback Offline
Kelly Slater status
laidback  Offline
Kelly Slater status
L

NOC
I always thought Newport style jetties all the way up through Huntington & up to sunset would be the best thing

Nobody surfs here anymore..........it's too crowded

shaka
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964919
06/08/19 03:32 AM
06/08/19 03:32 AM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
They should dig a huge canyon just off the coast from La Jolla Farms.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964942
06/08/19 07:45 AM
06/08/19 07:45 AM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

used tire reef. Thought about writing a proposal w/ my prof buddy as a summer research job. bounce off the reef? no problem... until it's covered in mussels.

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964968
06/08/19 01:06 PM
06/08/19 01:06 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted by Boneroni
I'm still a big fan of jetties too smile

As am I

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: Boneroni] #2964995
06/08/19 02:08 PM
06/08/19 02:08 PM
H
huryanpost Offline
Michael Peterson status
huryanpost  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

12 years ago, off Corpus Christi’s coast nueces county secured the funds to reopen the packery channel. Also there were funds for new jetties. The longshore current runs south to north. The initial install of the jetties was the south jettie was started first, then work was started on the north jettie. Long story short, the south jettie was taken to full length, and a period of time was longer than the north jettie. In that situation the setup was a dream come true. It kept the sand moving not allowing for fill in either in the channel or on the leeward side. It was an excellent wave. But the design was to make the jetties equal length. The surfers knew upon completion of equal length would change everything in a negative way.
So when there is surf what happens is the channel has a breaking wave , so to get out in your boat you must time sets. The surf suffered tremendously, where it went from a great wave through all conditions to mediocre at best.
What I don’t understand is couldn’t somehow involved with the project really see the real impact. And yes, 20 miles down the road one of are piers sandbars was affected by the disruption in the longshore current.

Last edited by huryanpost; 06/08/19 02:09 PM.

The Sport of Vagabonds is now the Sport of Barons. - D. Hynd?
Re: Some crazy and amazing ideas from Greg Webber [Re: ghostshaper] #2965035
06/08/19 03:32 PM
06/08/19 03:32 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

Originally Posted by ghostshaper
used tire reef. Thought about writing a proposal w/ my prof buddy as a summer research job. bounce off the reef? no problem... until it's covered in mussels.

Several years ago I read an article in the Mexican news about millions of used tires from the Mexico City metro. I wrote a letter to surfrider asking about any available technology about using tires for artificial reefs. I used the island in front of Barra de Potasi as an example place here and stated that the reef wouldn’t have anything to do with generating breaking waves or sand movement, that the purpose would be to modify the bottom structure to attract sea life. The answer I got could only have been written by Smackdaddy. Unpossible. Tires will end up on the beach due to breaking waves. Ecological disaster. How stupid am I? I wrote back that the tires would be anchored 3 kilómetros off shore in 30 meters of water so breaking waves wouldn’t be an issue. I never got a response back.

There are a couple hundred miles of shoreline in Guerrero and Michoacán where artificial reefs/jetties would work. My front yard is one of them.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32