REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Waxfoot] #2966312
06/11/19 05:13 PM
06/11/19 05:13 PM
San Francisco
K
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status
kool-aid  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

San Francisco
Originally Posted by Waxfoot
Given that we’re on the volume topic, instead of creating a new thread… I have a clumsy worded question for the more knowledgeable ones in this thread.

I have been slowly upping the volume on my shortboard, by adding width and thickness to my boards, which seems a reasonable approach. At 177cm and 83KG (5.10’ 180+ish in freedom units), my boards tend to range from 5.7’ grovelers, to 6’ HPSB (excluding step ups and novelty short things).

My question is, at what point does adding width and thickness become levers pulled too much, and I’ll need to go longer with my HPSB? The relationship between width, length and thickness (both centre and rail) has me in a bit of a spin sometimes, and I’m reluctant to go longer.

I have been resisting getting my board too long, as I quite like the trend that started years ago, and don’t really want to go back to when I was a grom surfing 6.4’ boars, as they simply do not fit as nicely on the waves I surf the most of the time. When I grew up, I had a world class long walled point break on my doorstep, but now mostly surf beahbreaks, so struggling with longer boards on a smaller canvas.

This has probably been the single biggest struggle in ordering shortboards for the last couple years.

And it doesn't help when there are a myriad of variables that are also present in the equation like rocker, outline, foil, wave type etc.

What I find almost consistently however is that I feel like I do better surfing on the boards that are typically on the lower end of the volume spectrum for me. For me that's 30L. I have a handful of small(ish) wave boards that are in the 30L range and I find I surf them quite well.

For my standard HPSB, the volume usually fluctuates anywhere between 31L and 32.5L and what I find there is foil is the biggest determining factor. Some of the lower volume boards I've ridden have gotten me used to more sensitive foil.

Unfortunately, there's only so much volume you can pack into a 6'0 x 19.13 x ??? without ending up with super round rails.

For instance, I ordered two 5'11 x 19.25 x ??? to get them to be 31.5L and they both came out too thick and don't surf that well. So I have experienced the tradeoffs.

I know some people think .5L differences are marginal but I disagree. Especially when you're surfing paddle dependent spots like OBSF.

The long and the short of it is that I have a sold set of shortboards that are 31L to 32L. I'm going to try a few that are 30L - 31L and see what the tradeoffs are.

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966325
06/11/19 05:20 PM
06/11/19 05:20 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
I have upgraded Sooo many to higher volume boards with great success

This .5 L or 1 L making a board suck is BS

Its the design that your not "clicking" with , even if its the same model - twisted , fins off etc.

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966412
06/11/19 06:54 PM
06/11/19 06:54 PM
W
Waterlogged05 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waterlogged05  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Greg, you seem to have a good grasp on foiling rails. Hidden volume.
Some shaper just slap more volume on their for float and it really hurts performance. (could also be an issue in scaling various models below or ahead of sugested guidelines)

But like I said, I weigh dick and a half so I have a hard time "Engaging" rails that aren't tucked or thin enough (my vernacular may be lacking here)

Rumour is that Slater has a full-size tattoo of himself over his entire body
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Greg Griffin] #2966414
06/11/19 06:59 PM
06/11/19 06:59 PM
San Francisco
K
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status
kool-aid  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

San Francisco
Originally Posted by Greg Griffin
I have upgraded Sooo many to higher volume boards with great success

This .5 L or 1 L making a board suck is BS

Its the design that your not "clicking" with , even if its the same model - twisted , fins off etc.

Thanks, Greg, for another timely, high-value comment

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966431
06/11/19 07:12 PM
06/11/19 07:12 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

medinas a kook riding over foamed boards semi-fun shapes roflmao

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Waterlogged05] #2966470
06/11/19 07:52 PM
06/11/19 07:52 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
A foiled rail line like this requires less effort to " Engage" it

The contact surface reduces size , naturally setting in as you press into the maneuver

[Linked Image]

Many "Modern" rails ride thicker , full round at center increasing size into a box edge rail in the tail

You can ride more volume using a foiled rail .

This board is 2 7/8" thick

It has less contact surface than a 2 1/2" thick Fever + it foils into the tail instead of a growing blocky edge .

This will "Engage" with very little input

[Linked Image]

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966494
06/11/19 08:28 PM
06/11/19 08:28 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Greg had the best looking rails in the game facelick

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966507
06/11/19 09:05 PM
06/11/19 09:05 PM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Thanks Greg, that makes a lot of sense, and the rails on that board looks nuts!

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966509
06/11/19 09:06 PM
06/11/19 09:06 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
I do often wonder about Danes preferred rail shape and it’s impact to the CI team riders.

Aside from my DFR I have not cared much for OTR rails on “his” shapes. Even then, mine was one that was thinner than “stock”.

Last edited by sd_101; 06/11/19 09:37 PM.
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966511
06/11/19 09:08 PM
06/11/19 09:08 PM
W
Waterlogged05 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waterlogged05  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

SD, the board I was talking about with the chunk rails in the midsection was a Dane board lol
It glides well but my sharpeye feels like a scalpel after riding it

Rumour is that Slater has a full-size tattoo of himself over his entire body
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Waxfoot] #2966514
06/11/19 09:12 PM
06/11/19 09:12 PM
San Diego
D
delmartian Offline
Grom
delmartian  Offline
Grom
D

San Diego
Originally Posted by Waxfoot
Given that we’re on the volume topic, instead of creating a new thread… I have a clumsy worded question for the more knowledgeable ones in this thread.

I have been slowly upping the volume on my shortboard, by adding width and thickness to my boards, which seems a reasonable approach. At 177cm and 83KG (5.10’ 180+ish in freedom units), my boards tend to range from 5.7’ grovelers, to 6’ HPSB (excluding step ups and novelty short things).

My question is, at what point does adding width and thickness become levers pulled too much, and I’ll need to go longer with my HPSB? The relationship between width, length and thickness (both centre and rail) has me in a bit of a spin sometimes, and I’m reluctant to go longer.

I have been resisting getting my board too long, as I quite like the trend that started years ago, and don’t really want to go back to when I was a grom surfing 6.4’ boars, as they simply do not fit as nicely on the waves I surf the most of the time. When I grew up, I had a world class long walled point break on my doorstep, but now mostly surf beahbreaks, so struggling with longer boards on a smaller canvas.

LOL. I don't think anyone addressed the actual question yet.

I think I understand what you are asking: As you find the need or desire to surf an incrementally larger board (eventually we all need to), should we only increase width and thickness or is it OK to also start adding length?

IMO, given our collective current starting point of surfing boards that are historically shorter/wider, adding a bit of length is definitely not a bad thing. In my experience, the extra length might take a very short adjustment period at the beginning, but then it quickly starts to feel very natural.

The biggest adjustment in my experience when going up in length, has been getting used to the extra nose length on steep/late drops when there is a lot of curve in the wave. But it's not harder IMO, you just get used to needing a certain amount of clearance and just have to adjust your angle of takeoff to avoid any nose pokes on the new board.

As for fitting in the wave, I've found that longer shapes can actually fit the wave better sometimes than the shorter/wider boards simply because the nose is pulled in more. Once I'm up and riding, it's not usually the tip of the nose that has a hard time fitting in the curve of the wave, it's usually the front rail somewhere. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about true grovel conditions -- in those situations I still like a pretty stubby board.

The other component of shorter boards that we all like is lack of swing weight. In that regard, the lighter epoxy construction really helps minimize that negative (as well as having a slightly more refined and pulled in nose).

Anyway, my point is that it's OK to go longer, but as others on this thread have hinted, its probably not a great idea to simply go longer on the same design that was intended to be surfed shorter/wider. But rather, look towards boards that are intended to be ridden a tag longer anyway and find your volume sweet spot there. That way you get the extra length and all it's benefits without the awkward problem of having a big wide nose that is very far forward.

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966531
06/11/19 09:39 PM
06/11/19 09:39 PM
SOCAL
20W-50 and blood Offline
Duke status
20W-50 and blood  Offline
Duke status

SOCAL
this rail taper conversation calls for it:

big shout out to brian bulkley....made me handfuls of boards with killer tapered rails over the years....allowed me to ride thick stuff without being pyscho boaty

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: 20W-50 and blood] #2966553
06/11/19 10:16 PM
06/11/19 10:16 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
allowed me to ride thick stuff without being pyscho boaty

Unpossible !

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: delmartian] #2966588
06/11/19 10:59 PM
06/11/19 10:59 PM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Originally Posted by delmartian

LOL. I don't think anyone addressed the actual question yet.

Thanks mate, I've found my answer in a combination of rail taper and your length post. I was also at a point where I thought going much over my preferred 2 1/2" thickness ( 2 7/16th rails) was going to become cumbersome, but I didn't consider that there's a lot of foil to play with (given GG's example above).

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: jkb] #2966602
06/11/19 11:19 PM
06/11/19 11:19 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
Originally Posted by jkb