REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2968207
06/14/19 05:43 PM
06/14/19 05:43 PM
California USA
J
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status
JEwing  Offline
Tom Curren status
J

California USA
Oceanside? I've lived in Carlsbad almost a decade now and unless I'm getting paid to go, I don't even bother going to the beach there. But I have in the past and everything I've read on this thread is 100% accurate. I was lucky enough to spend an hour with the mayor of Oceanside who lived right on the Strand next to Tyson Sreet Park, hanging out on his 2nd-floor deck overlooking the ocean. He'd seen it all and we compared notes, OB to O'sde and I was overwhelmed by the activity going on in his hood.

I was a little bit smarter and quicker than everyone else, so I've been able to live the way I've wanted to live - Mickey Dora
Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2968292
06/14/19 08:52 PM
06/14/19 08:52 PM
Oceanside
R
ReefTeef Offline
Michael Peterson status
ReefTeef  Offline
Michael Peterson status
R

Oceanside
Now it's official.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/wave-pool-coming-oceanside/54087

Surflie
Surflie
Jun 14th, 2019. Updated about 2 hours ago.

What is happening to the wave pool vision? At the moment, it seems like a fever dream, frantic activity everywhere. Even with the scrapping of Florida’s wavepool, artificial wave technology is still moving at warp speed, with operating systems in distant, desert-like places: Arizona, Palm Desert, Dubai, and of course, Waco, Texas, and the ranchlands of Lemoore, California. But so far, there are no major wave pools near a beach or within a heavily surf-populated area.

That may soon change, however, and the very nature of surf culture will change right along with it.

Leslee Gaul, the director of Visit Oceanside, the city’s tourism arm, confirmed the tantalizing rumor of a 35-acre wave park being built at the recently purchased site of the Oceanside Swap Meet, on Mission Avenue in the San Luis Rey Valley. Earlier this week, Oceanside Mayor Peter Weiss had responded to several media requests with, “discussions are in process with Zephyr Partners,” while the city revealed that the Encinitas-based developer presented preliminary plans on June 13th to the city to devote 35 acres of the property to a wave park. (The details of which remain confidential.)

Visit Oceanside confirmed that Zephyr’s plans include acreage for a wave park, accompanying restaurants, businesses and hotels. Twenty acres would be set aside for open space, while the remainder would be devoted to residential homes, roads and other public needs. The actual plans have not been released to the public, so at this moment no one knows exactly what technology will be used, existing or new, much less what the wave will look like. (Travis Macks, co-owner of The Surfboard Collective, says the word on the street is that Wave Garden’s new ‘Cove’ technology is the leading candidate.) Excitement abounds nonetheless, and numerous builders will likely be vying for the bid, if they haven’t already.

The ongoing negotiations are confidential, and so far, nothing has been finalized. But it appears that Oceanside is enthusiastically supportive of a wave pool — any wave pool — being built in their city.

Interestingly enough, the proposed site is directly across Highway 76 from Oceanside’s booming surfboard manufacturing center, one of the largest producers of surfboards in Southern California.

Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2968294
06/14/19 08:57 PM
06/14/19 08:57 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
It won't happen.

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2968307
06/14/19 09:41 PM
06/14/19 09:41 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
"But it appears that Oceanside is enthusiastically supportive of anything — literally anything — being built in their city."

Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2968356
06/15/19 12:01 AM
06/15/19 12:01 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Yeah, Oceanside is like a slutty girl that will bone anyone for the right price.

But man, with a good combo swell and good wind conditions.

It's paradise.

Years ago, there was a three week run of swell around easter. I was surfing three times a day.

I thought, if it was like this all the time, I would never have a reason to leave my house. I would just surf. I would buy my food at Pepe's liquor store.

Last edited by Autoprax; 06/15/19 12:05 AM.

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2968809
06/16/19 03:52 PM
06/16/19 03:52 PM
D
Doppelgangster Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Doppelgangster  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
D

Here’s what Zephyr has on their website. Sounds like the previously approved project is an outdoor mall. There are graders on the site now.

OCEANSIDE
3480 MISSION AVE
OCEANSIDE, CA 92058

COMMUNITY STATUS
In Development
PROPERTY DESCRIPTION
Q: What is being done on the site today?
A: The swap meet is being demolished and the site is being graded pursuant to the approved Pavilion Project.

Q: What is the approved Pavilion Project?
A: The Pavilion Project was approved in 2008 for approximately 950,000 square feet of commercial uses such as various retail shops and restaurants.

Q: How long will the grading activities last?
A: The grading will take about 12 months to complete.

Q: Are you going to build the Pavilion Project?
A: It is possible that we move forward with the Pavilion Project, however we are considering alternatives that would improve the development.

Q: How can I learn more about the project and any potential revisions?
A: Please email us at info@zephyrpartners.com to be added to our distribution list.

"How is this surf related?" - Scott Bass
Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2968812
06/16/19 03:55 PM
06/16/19 03:55 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
I'm going try to get a job there.

Trash clean up or kitchen.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2968880
06/16/19 06:58 PM
06/16/19 06:58 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
A wavepool operation is just another amusement park; except it will draw from a much smaller patronage. I can't imagine they could build a wavepool complex that would be economically viable when compared to other potential uses for that site such as a business park. Retail is basically dead so that would be a bad plan.

#sowhat
Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: GDaddy] #2969011
06/17/19 02:41 AM
06/17/19 02:41 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by GDaddy
A wavepool operation is just another amusement park....I can't imagine they could build a wavepool complex that would be economically viable when compared to other potential uses for that site such as a business park.

Pools and waterparks are notorious money losers.

Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2969031
06/17/19 05:06 AM
06/17/19 05:06 AM
B
BrownFish Offline
Michael Peterson status
BrownFish  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

The city is going to do what it is going to do. They only care about bringing more people in, not about the people who already live here. Sadly, many of my friends that live near me are all for it. I don't think they see the big picture. I personally don't have a fight in me. I am so tired of every fvcking city in the county just building, building, building, without building the infrastructure first. I remember when they put the 52 in from the east county to the 15. They had so much land to use, yet they made 2 lane bridges each way. Now the traffic is screwed and they have to modify bridges if they ever want to expand it. It's not that tough, make all the freeways 7 lanes each way THEN build whatever the fvck you want. Everyone is happy! It took me 60 minutes yesterday to head west from the 15 to my house. It's only 16 miles. And they wanna build a Wavepool. SO SUPER PSYCHED!

Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2969153
06/17/19 02:43 PM
06/17/19 02:43 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
You need chores to do at the stop lights.

I practice my harmonica.

I make that drive a lot.

It's amazing when you get all green lights.

Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: BrownFish] #2969155
06/17/19 02:47 PM
06/17/19 02:47 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by BrownFish
The city is going to do what it is going to do. They only care about bringing more people in, not about the people who already live here. Sadly, many of my friends that live near me are all for it. I don't think they see the big picture. I personally don't have a fight in me. I am so tired of every fvcking city in the county just building, building, building, without building the infrastructure first. I remember when they put the 52 in from the east county to the 15. They had so much land to use, yet they made 2 lane bridges each way. Now the traffic is screwed and they have to modify bridges if they ever want to expand it. It's not that tough, make all the freeways 7 lanes each way THEN build whatever the fvck you want. Everyone is happy! It took me 60 minutes yesterday to head west from the 15 to my house. It's only 16 miles. And they wanna build a Wavepool. SO SUPER PSYCHED!

They won't build it.

Smart people do not build waterparks or pools.

Pools are money losers.

Waterparks too, for the most part. The ones that stay open require very expensive tickets.

Last edited by casa_mugrienta; 06/17/19 02:55 PM.

Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2969156
06/17/19 02:48 PM
06/17/19 02:48 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Isn't that piece of property on a riverbed?

Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2969169
06/17/19 03:13 PM
06/17/19 03:13 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Consider the logistics.

- the project must be profitable (see as described above - need high ticket price to keep doors open or break even)
- the project is a bike ride away from a beach with relatively consistent surf
- CA business unfriendly environment - high operating cost, environ regs, employee cost
- back to the waterpark analysis - waterparks and pools can draw crowds from all walks of life. Surfing is a niche activity. Less potential customers = higher admission fee than the already high admission fee
- "The wind goes onshore by 10AM so as the window for ocean waves closes the pool will open." OK. How much are you willing to pay for that (shralp) session?

There is a reason why this project has not been built elsewhere already. It needs to profit. And to make a profit is difficult. Note with the rumored tech (Wavegarden Cove) they still have not released any footage of the "upscaled" wave that allows one to do non-shralp turns. My guess is that wave does not exist, because there is no investor capital, because wavepools are not profitable, and therefore the bigger wave is a theoretical wave.

Speaking of not profitable, isn't the Snowdonia wave government subsidized?

Re: Wave Pool in Oceanside? [Re: Doppelgangster] #2969170
06/17/19 03:14 PM
06/17/19 03:14 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
The effect of chlorine on wetsuits.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32