REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WSL has a looooong way to go #2962615
06/03/19 03:46 PM
06/03/19 03:46 PM
S
SBSteve Offline OP
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
S

Before they even have an ice cube's in hell chance of becoming a mainstream sport that appeals to the masses.
I was channel surfing Saturday and stumbled across the Volcom Pipe Pro.
Not into contests at all but still like to watch the surfing.
To a non-surfer or anyone not familiar with the ocean, it would have to be the most boring thing to watch.
Conditions were crappy and windblown, but still the guys were eking out a few gems here and there. Even if the conditions were good, I can't see how it would appeal to John Nebraska.
But IMO the biggest deal breaker is the nonsense that drops out of the mouths of the commentators.
Have these guys ever listened to themselves? Absolutely embarrassing. foreheadslap

Last edited by SBSteve; 06/04/19 01:39 PM.
Re: WSL has a looooong way to go [Re: SBSteve] #2962817
06/03/19 08:00 PM
06/03/19 08:00 PM
S
sussle Offline
Michael Peterson status
sussle  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

someday, the moths of the commentators will become butterflies. just wait and see.

ideologically vacant
Re: WSL has a looooong way to go [Re: SBSteve] #2962840
06/03/19 08:27 PM
06/03/19 08:27 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Why would anyone want surfing to become a mainstream sport that appeals to the masses. Fook the masses and fook anyone who wants to make it mainstream so it can appeal to the masses. Make surfing underground again!

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: WSL has a looooong way to go [Re: SBSteve] #2962868
06/03/19 08:58 PM
06/03/19 08:58 PM
Goleta
B
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status
Boneroni  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Goleta
Originally Posted by SBSteve
Have these guys ever listened to themselves? Absolutely embarrassing. foreheadslap

Nailed it Steve. And I mostly like watching a surf contest. Most of the commentary is just cringeworthy though.

I firmly believe that ocean surfing contests will NEVER become mainstream for the simple reason that you can not plan on when, exactly, the surfing will take place.
What if, at noon on suberbowl sunday, the NFL said "We are gonng to go on hold for the next 5 hours, but might also just play the game tomorrow. But stay right where you are and be ready to watch"
Seems self explanatory to me. Could never work.

Wave pools, though. They could schedule that.
Kinda funny that I'm not the least bit interested watching that, though.

It's like, without the ocean, WTF is the point? shrug

Originally Posted By: PPK96754
Don't stir the pot if you don't know the ingredient.

Originally Posted By: HarryLopez
I guess the ocean is always ready to kill someone for free. laugh

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32