REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 1976 Ventura downhill/slalom contest (GO FOR IT!) [Re: hal9000] #2962737
06/03/19 06:31 PM
06/03/19 06:31 PM
P
PhatCruiser Offline
Michael Peterson status
PhatCruiser  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Originally Posted by hal9000
How they rode pools on those narrow boards I'll never know.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cKC-XBwQ_pA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slalom and grass skating at Kate Sessions at the 9:00 mark.

"Keep it together, keep it together, keep it together"
Re: 1976 Ventura downhill/slalom contest (GO FOR IT!) [Re: hammies] #2962743
06/03/19 06:41 PM
06/03/19 06:41 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted by hammies
There used to be a parking garage in downtown San Diego we called Skateboard Paradise. Also, one of the first skate parks was out on I-94 and Home Ave. The La Costa hills was the top of the heap, though. A guy I know put trucks on an old water ski and would bomb it.

There was one in Beverly Hills we used to hit up at 2AM, always empty, so fun doing slalom carves on that smooth concrete.
Best part was using the elevator back to the top, it was like 6-7 stories, nice long runs.
I left a lot of flesh up at the Beverly Glenn bowl, that's for sure.
How many of you skated Kenter Ave., Belagio, Paul Revere? Those were some of the the DT crews spots.
Also, as far as the downhill deal, that road coming down from the dump area up by Mulholland was a screamer, I even think there was a speed record set there.
Good times for sure jam_on

Re: 1976 Ventura downhill/slalom contest (GO FOR IT!) [Re: hal9000] #2962745
06/03/19 06:48 PM
06/03/19 06:48 PM
Oceanside,CA
S
Surfdog Offline
Duke status
Surfdog  Offline
Duke status
S

Oceanside,CA
We were always on the prowl for new skate spots like the infamous Toilet bowl, Tidy bowl, Viper bowl and others until they got either destroyed or horizontal bars cemented in the walls to prevent us. Schools in hilly areas had these paved over playgrounds with banks on the edges, and those lasted a little while, but not long either. Kind of like searching for new surf spots.

Back then, many of use groms made our own skateboards in wood shop at school. Our crew in So. Redondo got elaborate with exotic woods and laminated some with multiple wood types like surfboard stringers. I was partial to mahogany for its subtle flex qualities. Not the hardest of woods but still decent. A guy I knew made a rosewood, oak and something else laminate at school. Beautiful piece that looked like pinned out Pipeline gun. He kinda babied it, and didn't skate radical or harsh with it.

We also shaped the boards as if they we mini versions of surfboards, 70's style. When local pro-skaters like Tye Page and a few others innovated the kick tail on wood boards and widened them for better stability, it kinds killed the whole surfing/skating bond, and skateboarding took off on its own path.

Only to come back in later decades with aerial skating moving into surfing. A full 360 to its roots.

Surf 'em if you got 'em
Re: 1976 Ventura downhill/slalom contest (GO FOR IT!) [Re: hal9000] #2962751
06/03/19 06:55 PM
06/03/19 06:55 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

We made our own boards also, funny thing in High School wood shop is that half the class made 2 things. 1. Skateboards 2. Bongs. We had to tell the teacher we were making lamps for the bongs and skateboards were eventually banned from being made in shop.

Re: 1976 Ventura downhill/slalom contest (GO FOR IT!) [Re: SBSteve] #2962752
06/03/19 06:57 PM
06/03/19 06:57 PM
Oceanside,CA
S
Surfdog Offline
Duke status
Surfdog  Offline
Duke status
S

Oceanside,CA
Originally Posted by SBSteve
Originally Posted by hammies
There used to be a parking garage in downtown San Diego we called Skateboard Paradise. Also, one of the first skate parks was out on I-94 and Home Ave. The La Costa hills was the top of the heap, though. A guy I know put trucks on an old water ski and would bomb it.

There was one in Beverly Hills we used to hit up at 2AM, always empty, so fun doing slalom carves on that smooth concrete.
Best part was using the elevator back to the top, it was like 6-7 stories, nice long runs.
I left a lot of flesh up at the Beverly Glenn bowl, that's for sure.
How many of you skated Kenter Ave., Belagio, Paul Revere? Those were some of the the DT crews spots.
Also, as far as the downhill deal, that road coming down from the dump area up by Mulholland was a screamer, I even think there was a speed record set there.
Good times for sure jam_on

I remember Belagio. The others probably went by different names for our crew. There was this steep walled smaller one we called Tidy bowl. It was not rounded well on the bottom except a few small spots and had super steep walls. Forgot what street it was on the Hollywood Hills? We also skated "The Channel" in PV. Nothing exotic, just a drainage channel with ridable banks that curved downward at the end into the dirt. The end section was nice and almost like a half pool, but ended in dirt and bushes. Good fun for free.

Surf 'em if you got 'em
Re: 1976 Ventura downhill/slalom contest (GO FOR IT!) [Re: Mr Doof] #2962777
06/03/19 07:14 PM
06/03/19 07:14 PM
Oceanside,CA
S
Surfdog Offline
Duke status
Surfdog  Offline
Duke status
S

Oceanside,CA
Originally Posted by Mr Doof

Our crew also went down to the Carlsbad skatepark not long after it opened. Another ditched day of school to get it uncrowded. We happened on a pro-crew doing a photo shoot for Skateboard mag that day, mid-week. They were a bit peeved that we were barging in on their "private" time photo shoot in a public park.

Anyway we shared runs into the main end pool section that it was famous for. They were getting impatient because we'd do more than one or 2 re-entries off the top of the coping. The nerve of us. There was one hot looking girl skater, the blond one doing 360's in that movie above. I took my run, she was going to go next after I finished my run. I get to the pool section, do a re-entry or maybe 2. She decides to go right then. I'm doing one more re-entry off the top, come down and we collide full force. I broadsided her and she goes down hard. Not sure if she hit her head, but the photo crew comes running down giving me stink-eye big time. She was OK, but was kinda bad blood from there on. It wasn't my fault, just bad timing on her part. We moved on to other parts of the park from then on and stayed out of their way. Skateboarding was getting too cool for it's own good.

Surf 'em if you got 'em
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32