REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) #2959183
05/26/19 04:33 PM
05/26/19 04:33 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
Floaters outscore barrels.

reasoning behind this?

floater shows the entire beach crowd (and internet watchers) the full display of a competitors sponsor stickers.

barrel just doesn't score anymore, stickers out of sight, nothing being sold for those instants, must underscore to dissuade in future events.

360° carving rail turn executed cleanly barely registers due to the messy white foam covering the sponsor stickers... no kandui!!!

any more???

this has full on become the new surfing meme tour... What A Joke Surf League.

hahahaha, so easy to h8 if you've ever surfed or know anything about the activity.

roscoe jones
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: SurfFuerte] #2959211
05/26/19 05:36 PM
05/26/19 05:36 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Has the carving 360 ever scored? I don’t remember kelly ever getting a good score for one.

Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: Hdip] #2959212
05/26/19 05:41 PM
05/26/19 05:41 PM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Online content
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
Originally Posted by Hdip
Has the carving 360 ever scored? I don’t remember kelly ever getting a good score for one.

Haleiwa.

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: SurfFuerte] #2959213
05/26/19 05:43 PM
05/26/19 05:43 PM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Online content
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
If you’re holding a contest in an “Asian” market like Bali then the “Japanese” surfer is awarded an extra two points for each scoring wave.

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: SurfFuerte] #2959256
05/26/19 07:34 PM
05/26/19 07:34 PM
Hawaii
B
Barney808 Offline
Grom
Barney808  Offline
Grom
B

Hawaii
So many issues with the WSL and judging.
WSL hides judges behind a curtain. They should introduce the judges at the beginning of each day. They should show the name of the judge (and country of origin) next to each score. Human nature to have biases. This would help determine which judges have these biases.

Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: Barney808] #2959310
05/26/19 09:29 PM
05/26/19 09:29 PM
S
SharkBoy Offline
Miki Dora status
SharkBoy  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted by Barney808
WSL hides judges behind a curtain. They should introduce the judges at the beginning of each day. They should show the name of the judge (and country of origin) next to each score. Human nature to have biases. This would help determine which judges have these biases.

it's weird though, because even if I don't understand how they are thinking with certain scores, they all seem to be pretty close in scores across the panel

Like a blind man at an orgie, I was gonna have to feel my way around.
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: SurfFuerte] #2959317
05/26/19 10:18 PM
05/26/19 10:18 PM
A
acnjusa Online content
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
A

i like the circus cause it gives the likes of JJ + Gabby cool-pray.
but they did...drop...cloudbreak....which speaks volumes.

Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: SharkBoy] #2959321
05/26/19 10:27 PM
05/26/19 10:27 PM
Hawaii
B
Barney808 Offline
Grom
Barney808  Offline
Grom
B

Hawaii
Originally Posted by SharkBoy

it's weird though, because even if I don't understand how they are thinking with certain scores, they all seem to be pretty close in scores across the panel

I know Porta is not the head judge anymore but...

Porta stated in an interview that if he thinks a score is wrong, he'll ask a judge to, in effect, conform with the other scores. That's why you rarely see scores that are different per wave.

Another article, someone sits near the judges box and writes this:

"In the booth, I see a surfer catch a wave and watch the judges react. A man in a black shirt — the head judge — speaks in a commanding tone. “OK, he did a major turn and had a little bobble, but finished strong. Should be a mid-range score. No better than red’s last.” The judges then type their scores in and the head judge glances over their shoulders and reviews every single score, sometimes saying something about the wave that leads a judge to change their score. Once he agrees with all of them, he instructs the judges to push send and the score goes live.

In other words, there is one judge masquerading as five.

After watching that, I spoke with an old friend from home who’s judged a few contests on the East Coast. His role sounded less like interpreting the criteria and more like trying to please the head judge so that he could keep his job. “You just try not to be the highest or the lowest score,” he said."

Here's the interview
https://www.surfer.com/surfing-maga...ou-do-here-head-asp-judge-richard-porta/

Last edited by Barney808; 05/26/19 10:40 PM.
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: Duffy] #2959325
05/26/19 10:45 PM
05/26/19 10:45 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Originally Posted by Duffy
If you’re holding a contest in an “Asian” market like Bali then the “Japanese” surfer is awarded an extra two points for each scoring wave.

That may have been a factor. The scoring in the K v K heat was a little off. That could be it.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: Barney808] #2959338
05/26/19 11:56 PM
05/26/19 11:56 PM
Nigrn, Galiza, Europe
C
Coque Offline
Miki Dora status
Coque  Offline
Miki Dora status
C

Nigrn, Galiza, Europe

Porta stated in an interview that if he thinks a score is wrong, he'll ask a judge to, in effect, conform with the other scores. That's why you rarely see scores that are different per wave.

"In the booth, I see a surfer catch a wave and watch the judges react. A man in a black shirt — the head judge — speaks in a commanding tone. “OK, he did a major turn and had a little bobble, but finished strong. Should be a mid-range score. No better than red’s last.” The judges then type their scores in and the head judge glances over their shoulders and reviews every single score, sometimes saying something about the wave that leads a judge to change their score. Once he agrees with all of them, he instructs the judges to push send and the score goes live.

I can tell you it doesn't work that way with Pritamo.

Btw, competitor know the judges and they know which judge gave every single score.

SurfFuerte, I can't believe you're so disconnected with how competitions work and still criticize the judging criteria...

Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: SurfFuerte] #2959418
05/27/19 03:57 AM
05/27/19 03:57 AM
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

you can see its all about self promotion fo the WSL not the contest itself

they should take some of the subjective-ness out of the scoring and break it down into specific categories so that you see how each final individual judges scores was obtained. 1-10 for speed, power, flow, originality of move and level of risk. and like diving and gymnastics make the moves worth more by a factor the more risk involved. If they want to make it legit then they should be held accountable for the scores. Also having actual surfers be judges would help just like at merry monarch they use kumu hula's not fashion industry folk who make more money from the promotion of the event than someone with the actual knowledge of what it takes to be out there competing.

Time to get out of the carnival aspect of these events

Jeremy like Aleandro was robbed for the new good looking face

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: Coque] #2959429
05/27/19 04:23 AM
05/27/19 04:23 AM
Hawaii
B
Barney808 Offline
Grom
Barney808  Offline
Grom
B

Hawaii
Originally Posted by Coque

Btw, competitor know the judges and they know which judge gave every single score.

SurfFuerte, I can't believe you're so disconnected with how competitions work and still criticize the judging criteria...

Can you enlighten us then?

Serious question because I really want to know what goes on in the judges tent.

Do judges talk at all before posting their score? Do they know exactly what score is needed to push a surfer?

And I think the public should know who the judges are. They should be open to criticism, something that the surfers cannot do.

BTW, competitors don't think Ahrendt is any different that Porta.

"The WSL’s Head-Commissioner, Kieren Perrrow, doubled-down on Renato's defense, explaining that the Head Judge does not interfere with the other judges’ scores. Instead, he creates the daily criteria, evaluates judges’ performance, and develops their skills.

Unsatisfied with this response, the WPS* requested to implement a system with audio/video in the judges’ booth, explaining that 27 CT surfers voted Yes on this idea."

*WPS is a group that advocates for surfers’ rights, essentially like a Surfers’ Union. CT surfers Ace Buchan and Sage Erickson are representatives on the WPS board.

Last edited by Barney808; 05/27/19 04:43 AM.
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: Coque] #2959467
05/27/19 07:47 AM
05/27/19 07:47 AM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
Originally Posted by Coque

HEY IT'S COQUE!!!! AND ON HIS BIRTHDAY NO LESS!!!!

HIGH COQUE!!!

as far as your last comment, armchair quarterback judging panel wants a full inquiry into your comments, what is this "one must know of what one speaks before preaching on the erBB soapbox".

do you even erBB bro?

the less you know bout sumptin on here, the diametrically opposed increase in your ability to discuss/critique/opine...

erBB rule no. 1 brah!

get with the program!

hahahaha.... also there's the "I don't give 2 poops" clause in there somewhere...

happy day to you cockey!

una brazo bien fuerte desde fuerte!

roscoe jones
Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: SurfFuerte] #2959503
05/27/19 01:14 PM
05/27/19 01:14 PM
Sao Paulo/Brazil
B
brukuns Offline
Phil Edwards status
brukuns  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

Sao Paulo/Brazil
The scoring was weird.... buuuuuuut...

It seems the best surfer won the comp, nothing wrong with that. Kanoa was totally in tune with the waves, specially on Finals day.

Re: understanding the NEW wsl scoring system... (help if you can) [Re: brukuns] #2959521
05/27/19 02:33 PM
05/27/19 02:33 PM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

I watched a bit. There was a lot of tube dodging IMO. Obviously because it don't score. Not there anyway. Chopes and Pipe the tube is everything. Which bums me out man. I want to see air reverses on 2nd reef Pipe.

"fvck this country." - Frvcus
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32