REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Maz] #2956798
05/20/19 07:56 AM
05/20/19 07:56 AM
San Francisco
K
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status
kool-aid  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

San Francisco
I dunno if it's rude to not take a round tail to the ments but it's definitely rude to take 5 boards.

I kid, but in all honestly, lugging around 5 boards is going to be a huge pain and boats aren't that big so I'm not sure that bringing 5 boards would be particularly well received.

Also, you'll get dinged pretty bad for travelling with all that weight. Lion Air and the Mentawai Fast both charge for bags based on weight and you'll pay a pretty penny for a bag with 5 boards in it.

Noise has the right idea: small wave board, medium wave board, bigger wave board. Obviously, check the forecast before you go but generally you should be prepared for 4' - 12' foot faces and you really shouldn't bring more than 3 boards.

Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: noise] #2956814
05/20/19 12:37 PM
05/20/19 12:37 PM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted by noise
I go to indo every year and only ever take 3 boards. A 5'9 black box 2 / 3 type shape for up to 4 foot (a bit overhead for size scale) My 6'0 shortboard for up to 6 foot + and then a step up a few inches bigger for 8 foot plus. I've always found indo waves are pretty easy to paddle into (unless you want to surf nias / kandui / bankvaults / outside corner on those mega swells that really only come once or twice a year). You will surf your regular shortboard most of the time.

(I'm just under 6 foot and 78kg)

Are you me?

I do the same. 3 boards - a 5'9, a back-up, and 6'0 step-up. I don't go longer than 6'0 because I'd probably just sit in the channel and watch if the swell called for a bigger board than that! Haha...

A lot of the 'normal' bigger swells still break in the same spot on the reefs over there, so most of the time you don't need a massive board. The mega swells are another story. I was at a certain little island during that Muzza Swell a few years ago. Went out on the boat taxi to take a look. The skipper moored at the usual deep water spot in the channel. Saw some majestic , monster waves until we spotted a next level set approaching. The deckhand jumped up, unhooked us from the buoy, and we gunned it for a deeper spot in the channel. Was pretty scary...

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Goodfish] #2957097
05/21/19 12:03 AM
05/21/19 12:03 AM
N
noise Offline
Grom
noise  Offline
Grom
N

Originally Posted by Goodfish
Originally Posted by noise
I go to indo every year and only ever take 3 boards. A 5'9 black box 2 / 3 type shape for up to 4 foot (a bit overhead for size scale) My 6'0 shortboard for up to 6 foot + and then a step up a few inches bigger for 8 foot plus. I've always found indo waves are pretty easy to paddle into (unless you want to surf nias / kandui / bankvaults / outside corner on those mega swells that really only come once or twice a year). You will surf your regular shortboard most of the time.

(I'm just under 6 foot and 78kg)

Are you me?

I do the same. 3 boards - a 5'9, a back-up, and 6'0 step-up. I don't go longer than 6'0 because I'd probably just sit in the channel and watch if the swell called for a bigger board than that! Haha...

A lot of the 'normal' bigger swells still break in the same spot on the reefs over there, so most of the time you don't need a massive board. The mega swells are another story. I was at a certain little island during that Muzza Swell a few years ago. Went out on the boat taxi to take a look. The skipper moored at the usual deep water spot in the channel. Saw some majestic , monster waves until we spotted a next level set approaching. The deckhand jumped up, unhooked us from the buoy, and we gunned it for a deeper spot in the channel. Was pretty scary...

Haha. Great minds! I find I end up riding my 5'9 and 6'0 90% of the time over there too. My 6'2 step-up only gets used every so often.

Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Maz] #2957117
05/21/19 01:41 AM
05/21/19 01:41 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

LOL, sounds like an echo chamber in here.... I don't go that often, but I'm in the very same proverbial boat. I took 5.11, 6 and a 6.4. Any wave that needs a bigger board can go fook itself, I'll watch it from the safety of the channel :p

I could have surfed the 6 100% of the time... only took the 6.4 out at Thunders, as I thought it's a bit more of an 'open water' wave, but really didn't;t need it.

Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Maz] #2957136
05/21/19 03:17 AM
05/21/19 03:17 AM
T
toddo Offline
Nep status
toddo  Offline
Nep status
T

Like I said i've pre paid for 30kg worth of sports equipment. It's not going to cost me more to take 5 than 3 at this stage. As for lugging it around. I have to drag it about 30m at departures at the airport, pay a porter $5 to take it to our boat transport at the other end, and repeat on the way back.

if we get small waves i'll be kicking myself if i don't take the 5'6
if we get big waves i'll be kicking myself if i don't take the 6'8

Gunna be on a boat surfing for 12 days - bit of variety is the spice of life, I could probably get away with 2 boards if I had to, but I don't have to.

Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: toddo] #2957138
05/21/19 03:38 AM
05/21/19 03:38 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Originally Posted by toddo
bit of variety is the spice of life, I

Good call on all the swallow tails (I kiiiid I kiiiid)
Get the pulled in round tail to spice things up wink

Last edited by Waxfoot; 05/21/19 03:47 AM.
Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Waxfoot] #2957140
05/21/19 03:47 AM
05/21/19 03:47 AM
T
toddo Offline
Nep status
toddo  Offline
Nep status
T

Originally Posted by Waxfoot
bit of variety is the spice of life, I

Good call on all the swallow tails laugh (I kiiiid I kiiiid)
Get the pulled in round tail to spin things up wink

haha gotta say i was a bit surprised by the minimalist responses on the erbb, where people have 6 board grovel quivers for all types of summer surf!

Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Maz] #2957142
05/21/19 03:53 AM
05/21/19 03:53 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

We’re just jealous that you’re off to go surf the Ments and want you to have a shit time there, to make us feel better laugh

Which boat are you taking?

Last edited by Waxfoot; 05/21/19 03:53 AM.
Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Waxfoot] #2957154
05/21/19 04:43 AM
05/21/19 04:43 AM
T
toddo Offline
Nep status
toddo  Offline
Nep status
T

Originally Posted by Waxfoot
We’re just jealous that you’re off to go surf the Ments and want you to have a shit time there, to make us feel better laugh

Which boat are you taking?

D'bora

Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Maz] #2957158
05/21/19 05:19 AM
05/21/19 05:19 AM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

My preference for less boards on a trip is that it makes life less complicated. Also, getting to surf the same boards every day in quality waves for days and days really helps you to dial them in.

Have an epic trip, Toddo! Hope you score.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: toddo] #2957214
05/21/19 03:17 PM
05/21/19 03:17 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
haha gotta say i was a bit surprised by the minimalist responses on the erbb, where people have 6 board grovel quivers for all types of summer surf!

Do you even NCSD bro fight

In all seriousness, if I was going on a trip like this, I'd be taking 4 boards.

Step down
HPSB
Back up hpsb
Step-up

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver [Re: Maz] #2957287
05/21/19 06:45 PM
05/21/19 06:45 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Good boards for good waves.

Check the forecast before you leave. If it's not absolutely dire, there really is no need for a step down.

I didn't surf one wave below HH, and there's plenty of power, so a standard short board (or whatever your main decent-wave board is) is the smallest you need.

That said, the one board you really should bring is the one you really love (unless it's an ultra groveler).

Bring 4 if you must, but make them good ones. And if everybody brings 4 boards, there will be storage issues.

Happy travels. I heard good things about DBora.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4