REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: Kento] #2946535
04/25/19 09:16 PM
04/25/19 09:16 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Originally Posted by Kento
Originally Posted by bird.
Originally Posted by grapedrink
Originally Posted by jkb
I think Casa’s just trying to stir the pot with another Millennial mention.

Which is funny because he can’t be far off from being one himself.

What are you Casa, 37 or 38?

Does being a year older than the official Millennial generation cutoff really preclude someone from Millennial mentalities?

I'm that exact age, which technically makes me a millennial, but I can say for certain that most people my age relate more to Gen X culturally than to Millennials. We were raised with the same pop culture and played Oregon Trail in Elementary School computer

Sorry bro, you're a millennial with the rest of us Oregon Trail players. computer

That came out in the early 70s. Even before Space Invaders. Funny - I don't think I ever played Oregon Trail. Little Brick Out was the first.

Generation X here (born mid-70s). All about Galaga, Rastan, Cadash, Ultima series, original Mario Bros, Spy Hunter, Dig Dug, Pitfall, Zaxxon, Missile Command, Zork, Gauntlet, Dragon's Lair (next level along with Space Ace for the time), Elevator Action, Pole Position, Conan, Rolling Thunder, and so many more. Day care? My parents gave me between 5 and 20 bucks and dumped me off at the local arcade parlor while they did whatever it is they did for several hours. roflmao

I don't know what millennials play but it better not be on my lawn! monkey

Oregon Trail was played in computer lab at school. Not sure what the actual education value was 🤔 Other than learning the names of ancient diseases that have made a resurgence due to anti vaxxers roflmao
I played a lot of the games you listed above. We had an old Atari system, then upgraded to the Nintendo in 1st grade jam_on
Those of who were born from 80-82 are the tweener generation. The only people who had cell phones in high school were drug dealers, and I still used pay phones well into my early 20s. We also had older siblings and kids we looked up to who were on the mid-to-tail end of Gen X, so we tend to lean that way culturally as opposed to people younger than us.
-Millenial in Denial, Out! beer

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: jkb] #2946539
04/25/19 09:21 PM
04/25/19 09:21 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Originally Posted by jkb
It’s just an attempt at improved customer service, rather than a Mellennial thing. You have to realize the bosses that are training them on customer service most likely aren’t Mellennials.

Think about a supermarket in the 1950’s and the types of questions they might ask. How are you today? Can I help you with anything? How about those Yankees? Can I help you to your car?

Yes, social norms might be a bit more intrusive to some today, but the goal is essentially the same. Making the customer feel welcome and giving them a positive experience.

Doesn’t work for everyone, but it works for most.

Basically this. It’s definitely policy at Trader Joe’s, as has been pointed out.

Also, the checkout person is part of the American grocery store tradition whether we like it or not. I remember hearing on NPR about a chain of stores with self checkout that didn’t do so well, and they hypothesized that the lack of the checkout chat experience made the chain feel more cold and impersonal.
Just a theory, but I can see that being at least partially true shrug

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: grapedrink] #2946541
04/25/19 09:27 PM
04/25/19 09:27 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline
Duke status
Kento  Offline
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by jkb

Does being a year older than the official Millennial generation cutoff really preclude someone from Millennial mentalities?

I'm that exact age, which technically makes me a millennial, but I can say for certain that most people my age relate more to Gen X culturally than to Millennials. We were raised with the same pop culture and played Oregon Trail in Elementary School computer

Sorry bro, you're a millennial with the rest of us Oregon Trail players. computer

That came out in the early 70s. Even before Space Invaders. Funny - I don't think I ever played Oregon Trail. Little Brick Out was the first.

Generation X here (born mid-70s). All about Galaga, Rastan, Cadash, Ultima series, original Mario Bros, Spy Hunter, Dig Dug, Pitfall, Zaxxon, Missile Command, Zork, Gauntlet, Dragon's Lair (next level along with Space Ace for the time), Elevator Action, Pole Position, Conan, Rolling Thunder, and so many more. Day care? My parents gave me between 5 and 20 bucks and dumped me off at the local arcade parlor while they did whatever it is they did for several hours. roflmao

Oregon Trail was played in computer lab at school. Not sure what the actual education value was 🤔 Other than learning the names of ancient diseases that have made a resurgence due to anti vaxxers roflmao
I played a lot of the games you listed above. We had an old Atari system, then upgraded to the Nintendo in 1st grade jam_on
Those of who were born from 80-82 are the tweener generation. The only people who had cell phones in high school were drug dealers, and I still used pay phones well into my early 20s. We also had older siblings and kids we looked up to who were on the mid-to-tail end of Gen X, so we tend to lean that way culturally as opposed to people younger than us.

I hate myself that I left Joust off that list. bawling roflmao I didn't have TV growing up, just a computer. I think of all the games, only 2 were paid for. The rest were all pirated and we had programs that could crack even the best of copyright protection. The dirty play with 2-player Mario Bros. always degenerated into tears and fists.

No cell phones in high school although my parents had one where the battery was the size of a cinder block. I did have a pager in college which was annoying especially when the *420 *911 message came up 5 times in 20 minutes while I was working in the lab. They'd be lucky if that 8th was even 3.2 after that nonsense. censored I resisted the cell phone until my mid-30s and I don't think they have made life better at all.

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: grapedrink] #2946551
04/25/19 10:38 PM
04/25/19 10:38 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted by jkb

The best way to play Oregon Trail was to try and see how fast you could kill your family

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: ifallalot] #2946552
04/25/19 10:41 PM
04/25/19 10:41 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Originally Posted by ifallalot

The best way to play Oregon Trail was to try and see how fast you could kill your family

Yes. And of utmost importance to give them 'clever' names.

YOUR BUTT DIED OF DYSENTERY. lols for days.

Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: Kento] #2946558
04/25/19 11:04 PM
04/25/19 11:04 PM
Trona
K
keenfish Offline
Duke status
keenfish  Offline
Duke status
K

Trona
Originally Posted by jkb

I've never even heard of Oregon Trail. confused2

All we had growing up was Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoy, Lego and Hot Wheels. bricks

\_(''/)_/

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax
Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2946560
04/25/19 11:10 PM
04/25/19 11:10 PM
R
Random Guy Offline
Duke status
Random Guy  Offline
Duke status
R

I’ve been seeing the same people at Trader Joe’s every other week for the past bunch of years. I don’t mint at all if there’s some general small talk. I actually like it it.
But only Trader Joe’s!
Try that on me at shop rite, and I’m going full Eunice response. I mean, with my expression. I couldn’t actually say the words “it’s none of your goddamned business how I’m doing”, but I can say it without a word
cowabunga
rg

Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: bird.] #2946562
04/25/19 11:26 PM
04/25/19 11:26 PM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

Life's a lot easier if you're just pleasant to people that you meet throughout the day I've found shrug

This.

Decency is a lot easier to accept when you're a decent person.

Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: manbearpig] #2946564
04/25/19 11:28 PM
04/25/19 11:28 PM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

Originally Posted by manbearpig
How else can we help you get through everyday life casa?

The errb is here for you!

roflmao

Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: Random Guy] #2946565
04/25/19 11:31 PM
04/25/19 11:31 PM
A Magical and Wondrous Place
E
Eunice Offline
Kelly Slater status
Eunice  Offline
Kelly Slater status
E

A Magical and Wondrous Place
I just returned from Trader Joe's. The clerk did not try to engage in small talk, but he wasn't impolite either. He simply greeted me. "How's it going, boss." "Have a good one, boss." Calling me "boss" was non-threatening for the context, to use autoprax's analysis. I'd say he was in his 20s. In my head I was like, "Please ask me what my weekend plans are." facelick

PS, I always bag my own groceries, but sometimes I don't feel appreciated for doing so. Does that make me Gen X, millennial, Gen Y or Gen Z?? shrug

computer

Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2946575
04/26/19 12:18 AM
04/26/19 12:18 AM
Huntington Beach, California
R
ringer Offline
Tom Curren status
ringer  Offline
Tom Curren status
R

Huntington Beach, California
I don't mind the small talk at checkout lines. It is what it is. I do find the common question of "Did you find everything OK?" as pretty hilarious. "No, I gave up trying to find the cheddar cheese and went to checkout."

Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2946577
04/26/19 12:24 AM
04/26/19 12:24 AM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

Most people working retail have to deal with shitty customers for shitty wages. I commend any of them that can appear to be genuine and friendly. It makes the whole experience better. I'd take that any day over having some disgruntled malcontent shoving shit in my bag without saying a word to me. The only thing that would bother me is if the smalltalk seemed forced and scripted. As rice mentioned above the "did you find everything okay" type lines are kind of annoying. But thats about it. If somebody asks how my day is going I don't find that offensive or prying.

Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2946578
04/26/19 12:28 AM
04/26/19 12:28 AM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

If they’re not a little ill temepered, I assume something is wrong with them

Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2946592
04/26/19 01:11 AM
04/26/19 01:11 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta
Originally Posted by afoaf
I know, interpersonal communication is really scary stuff, man!

I'm just not into personal questions during momentary interactions with people who really DGAF and are unmotivated by genuine, purposeful interest.

You are framing it wrong. Think of them creating an opening for social engagement, which you should just be doing because it's super health and primes neuroception.

Content DOES NOT MATTER!

When they do this, you ask them the same question while sending the message of safety.

Then you are off to the races.

When you do this effectively the people unmotivated by genuine, purposeful interest are left feeling really good and they don't know exactly what happened.

And you feel really good too.

You both get a free hit of dopamine.

Or is is seritonine?

With your job you should be tapping into this shit.

Last edited by Autoprax; 04/26/19 01:14 AM.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: Why are retail employees suddenly probing us about our daily activities and personal lives? Are they told to do this or just nosy? [Re: ringer] #2946593
04/26/19 01:17 AM
04/26/19 01:17 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted by ringer
I don't mind the small talk at checkout lines. It is what it is. I do find the common question of "Did you find everything OK?" as pretty hilarious. "No, I gave up trying to find the cheddar cheese and went to checkout."

I always say this too. I laugh and say, I am a trader Joe shopping loser.

It's all about vocal tone and facial expression.

The checker knows I'm having fun.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32