REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf #2930013
03/19/19 06:13 PM
03/19/19 06:13 PM
T
TangTonic Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
TangTonic  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

My son is 8 and is pretty confident in the water. Still needs work on his duck dive but can catch his own waves and ride the line. He's comfortable to about 6' crumbling faces but if its pitching it would need to be a bit smaller.

Wife is comfortable up to about 8' faces and doesn't mind some hollowness to the wave.

I like anything in the 4-12' range.

Looking for recommendations where the three of us can go and all have something that suits our abilities? I'm more about getting the kid on some good waves, followed by by wife, and if I can get a little juice too, all the better.

I've been looking at the chancletas beach resort in Nica. El Salvador also seems like it could be a good call.

I've been to costa and panama but not to El Sal or Nica. Wife went to Nica years ago.

Thansk for any suggestions you might have!

Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: TangTonic] #2930034
03/19/19 06:50 PM
03/19/19 06:50 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
The wave out front of Chancletas does not have a reputation of being an easy drop.

Sunzal in El Salvador is a good choice for a softer, anyone can surf it type of wave.

Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: TangTonic] #2930047
03/19/19 07:18 PM
03/19/19 07:18 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Online happy
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Online Happy
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Stayed at Chancletas in 2008, back when they still catered to dirtbags with dorm and budget "flashpacker" private rooms with no bathroom. Looks like they've upgraded a bit, like every other Nica resort that started as a surf camp roflmao They probably figured they can both reduce the crowds and fetch more cash by getting rid of dorms and upgrading all around, so I certainly understand the rational. Overall it's a cool place that is well managed.

Like SB said, the drop is trickier in the sense that you have to angle straight into the barrel from takeoff (at least that's how it broke when I was there). There are probably other options for easier beachbreaks in Nica, but I haven't been since that 2008 trip.

ES is cool, but the waves are longer paddles with bigger playing fields, so it may be tougher to keep an eye on your son if that's a concern.

It may be played out, but Costa Rica hits all the bases for an easy family trip. Nosara and the neighboring beaches seems to have something for everyone shrug

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: TangTonic] #2930056
03/19/19 07:35 PM
03/19/19 07:35 PM
T
TangTonic Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
TangTonic  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

Cool thanks guys! Nosara could be the best call. Anywhere else in Costa worth looking into?

Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: TangTonic] #2930069
03/19/19 07:56 PM
03/19/19 07:56 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Online happy
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Online Happy
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Originally Posted By: TangTonic
Cool thanks guys! Nosara could be the best call. Anywhere else in Costa worth looking into?

I've heard good things about the deep south of CR but never been.

In Nica, the beachies around the Los Cardones eco lodge are pretty user friendly beer

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: TangTonic] #2930118
03/19/19 09:00 PM
03/19/19 09:00 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Online content
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Online Content
Duke status
S

Tower 13
I know everyone shits on CR but a trip is what you make of it. I wouldn't hesitate to take my family to Nosara. Enough surf around to keep everyone happy and most importantly it has a gradual beach that isn't really tide dependent like other spots so they can play inside.Tons of stuff to do outside of surfing too.

Salina cruz would be cool but not a ton of "family" stuff to do

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: TangTonic] #2930467
03/20/19 05:00 PM
03/20/19 05:00 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
V
VaB Offline
Michael Peterson status
VaB  Offline
Michael Peterson status
V

Virginia Beach, VA
I don't know that i'd take the family to el salvador. Every store and even the hotel had an armed guard.

Nica is good with good options for all; variety of spots if the polictal climate is safe.

CR is also good; I stayed near Punta negra which had some good options and was not very touristy at all

CR is most americanized and thus safest.
Nica #2
El Sal #3.

Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: TangTonic] #2930480
03/20/19 05:27 PM
03/20/19 05:27 PM
T
TangTonic Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
TangTonic  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

Thanks guys, CR it is! I haven't been there since the year 2000 when I was staying in Playa HErmosa and had the time of my life. Got pulled onstage at Hollywood nights!

Anyways, Nosara seems like a good call. We would probably go for 7-10 days and rent a car. Where else should we go besides Nosara and what things we should do besides surf?

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

For your time:

Last edited by TangTonic; 03/20/19 05:28 PM.
Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: TangTonic] #2942841
04/16/19 08:39 PM
04/16/19 08:39 PM
N.S.D
N
nrthcty Online happy
Gerry Lopez status
nrthcty  Online Happy
Gerry Lopez status
N

N.S.D
Just returned from Miramar in Nicaragua and the place is great. Family friendly too. Waves good and nearby. Food is great and family running the place has kids there too.

Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2943081
04/17/19 06:59 AM
04/17/19 06:59 AM
A
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline
Michael Peterson status
A

[quote=Sharkbiscuit

Sunzal in El Salvador is a good choice for a softer, anyone can surf it type of wave.[/quote]

nice hotel on cliff overlooking too at least there used to be.
I never stayed there but guessing it aint cheap.

Re: Where in Central to take wife and son on surf trip - both surf [Re: acnjusa] #2943146
04/17/19 01:59 PM
04/17/19 01:59 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted by acnjusa
Originally Posted by Sharkbiscuit

Sunzal in El Salvador is a good choice for a softer, anyone can surf it type of wave.

nice hotel on cliff overlooking too at least there used to be.
I never stayed there but guessing it aint cheap.

By my surf trip standards there are at least two. I've stayed at Kayu, and next door, is the Casa de Mar, that place is supposedly fancy. El Tunco is a better bet for cheaper lodging.

"Do da chair know we goin' look like some punkass bitches?" - Poot Carr

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32