REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902327
01/22/19 09:07 PM
01/22/19 09:07 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
"The ocean is for everyone", says the swimmer who is treading water right where everyone needs to do their bottom turn. They're not wrong about the resource, but they sure are in the way.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902359
01/22/19 10:13 PM
01/22/19 10:13 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Leave it to Casa to put up a politically charged 6 page runner... applause2 roflmao

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902375
01/22/19 10:36 PM
01/22/19 10:36 PM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

black people are the same color as seals

which are eaten by racist great WHITE sharks....

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902489
01/23/19 03:18 AM
01/23/19 03:18 AM
T
Topeslide Offline
Grom
Topeslide  Offline
Grom
T

Was anyone else offended that Ms Harper called you a racist and is stereotyping?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Topeslide] #2902497
01/23/19 03:51 AM
01/23/19 03:51 AM
Trona
K
keenfish Offline
Duke status
keenfish  Offline
Duke status
K

Trona
Originally Posted By: Topeslide
Was anyone else offended that Ms Harper called you a racist and is stereotyping?

I have never looked at a person and judged them or treated them differently by the color of their skin.

Ms. Harper on the other hand is doing exactly that so who is the racist here?

Pardon me while I leave this conversation to turn on the WET channel. Oh. wait.. my bad. I meant the BET channel.

\_(''/)_/

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GromsDad] #2902499
01/23/19 03:58 AM
01/23/19 03:58 AM
LA
N
NDG80 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
NDG80  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
N

LA
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Stink eye exists for good reasons and ought to be brought back for the same reasons that fighting exists in the NHL. The pussification of everything needs to stop.

Stinkeye and barking is still very much a thing around here. For or better or worse, now adays it never gets any further than that.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902507
01/23/19 04:30 AM
01/23/19 04:30 AM
Los Angeles~California!
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Los Angeles~California!
I agree with lots of the view~points expressed here.
BUT that said, allow me to reverse the scenerio, ok?
Say that the line~ups have mostly black surfers out there,
and you, still in the beginner to intermediate stage of ability, wanna paddle out + ride some waves too. Think that you might not feel a lil' intimidated being a white surfer, maybe not knowing anyone else out there in the water either?

Yea, bet you would.
You're white, + probably don't believe me.
So go grab a basketball and hit up any public basketball court in an urban inner city. Be the only white dude there. Be curious to see if you get starred at, stink eyed, clowned, told to beat it like some surfers tell other surfers who just might also want to enjoy a public resource like ridin' waves...
jam_on

PS ~ In Sept. of '96,
I had to go to court for fighting on the sand at Venice Beach. This was the anniversary month of my 20th year of having learned how to surf at this same beach, of being a local. Prosecutors did not like localism, nor what they might interpret as being such, even waaay back then. Especially so for 1 very large, black female prosecutor who 1st had my case. You will learn quick that No One owns the waves that you, I, everyone else likes to ride. Go argue it with your attorney and The Court if ya do not believe me. Localism, stink eye, what~ever ya wanna call it, is just a form of modern day segregation: "YOU can't surf here, because, well I said so, + your board is the wrong length, brand, style, color, you're from a different town, you are a kook, etc, etc, on+on+on...
See ya.
wave2
RW

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902511
01/23/19 05:05 AM
01/23/19 05:05 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline OP
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline OP
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: RWVBWL
I agree with lots of the view~points expressed here.
BUT that said, allow me to reverse the scenerio, ok?
Say that the line~ups have mostly black surfers out there,
and you, still in the beginner to intermediate stage of ability, wanna paddle out + ride some waves too. Think that you might not feel a lil' intimidated being a white surfer, maybe not knowing anyone else out there in the water either?

That's not a reverse scenario, that's an invented scenario.

In Southern California - the location being referenced in the article - the lineup is somewhat diverse culturally/racially.

IMO - both in my observation and having been the obvious minority in the lineup before - outside Hawaii that racial shit does not exist in the lineup.

Quote:
Yea, bet you would.
You're white, + probably don't believe me.
So go grab a basketball and hit up any public basketball court in an urban inner city. Be the only white dude there. Be curious to see if you get starred at, stink eyed, clowned, told to beat it like some surfers tell other surfers who just might also want to enjoy a public resource like ridin' waves...
jam_on

I've spent a decent portion of my youth and parts of my 20s in the "urban inner city."
The "stink eye" you get in the African American 'hood as pretty much any lighter skinned group - white, Asian, mestizo - is serious shit. "What the fck you doin here, this ain't your part of town." "You're gonna get the fvck beat the f*ck out of you if you don't split. We ain't playin'." And they absolutely will.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902524
01/23/19 06:15 AM
01/23/19 06:15 AM
Los Angeles~California!
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Los Angeles~California!
Right on man, I bow down to your wisdom,
I mean if you say it is so, well it's gotta be true, right?
bowdown

So ah,
how many black surfers do you personally know? Know any from when times were grittier, '70's, '80's, pre~cell phone/cell camera dayz when fighting over a wave, local surf turf, maybe even the color of some~ones skin was happenin' more often back then due to the crowded conditions? If you know any black surfers, bet that they are probably not kooks nor beginning surfers, right, for from what I gather, you really don't like kooks or beginners, don't give 'em a tip or 2, even a wave, would ya agree? Please tell more about how black surfers should be, or how black beginners+kooks are supposed to behave, ok? See ya...

PS ~ 3rd grade, our Family moved to Inglewood, beginning of The '70's, lived there a year.
As 1 of the few white kids, a red haired freckled~faced kid catchin' the bus to a black elementary school right near The Forum, well I learned some things. Same too with growing up a surfer in Venice, a ghetto, in some parts, by the Sea. And so ah, I'm curious, where did you learn to surf at? Do you ever casually talk about race + what it was like for them to grow up surfin' in a white dominated surf culture here on Thee Mainland? Betcha The BSA's Ricky Blocker, Tony Corley, David Lansdowne, many others too could enlighten us all further if Surfer Magazine talked with 'em.

Have a look at this from Rick:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blacksurfing/with/4165028580/
there's people who might not surf as good as you do out there, still having fun!!!
wave2

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902526
01/23/19 06:26 AM
01/23/19 06:26 AM
Los Angeles~California!
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Los Angeles~California!

Betcha The BSA's Ricky Blocker, Tony Corley, David Lansdowne, many others too could enlighten us all further if Surfer Magazine talked with 'em.

Well, well, well, look~ie here!
It's 1983, Tom Curren is kickin' arse Down~Under,
and Surfer is gonna talk about
Black Surfers:
An Exclusive Report

I wonder if Black Surfing Association's Tony Corley got to talk of this below, in that interview:

F**kin' gnarly...

Link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blacksurfing/with/4165049350/
See ya.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902527
01/23/19 06:51 AM
01/23/19 06:51 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Great clip about Racism in Surfing here and the African-American experience...love to see people break stereotypes of any kind! Reading the comments...you can see what they have to overcome as black surfers...

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902530
01/23/19 08:07 AM
01/23/19 08:07 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Another Black surfer Mikey February...shattering stereotypes!! A ripper with style!

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902531
01/23/19 09:54 AM
01/23/19 09:54 AM
A
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline
Michael Peterson status
A

next: blacks winning at the pool.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902543
01/23/19 01:15 PM
01/23/19 01:15 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Right on man, I bow down to your wisdom,
I mean if you say it is so, well it's gotta be true, right?
bowdown

No, if you say it's so It's gotta be true.

Quote:
So ah,
how many black surfers do you personally know? Know any from when times were grittier, '70's, '80's, pre~cell phone/cell camera dayz when fighting over a wave, local surf turf, maybe even the color of some~ones skin was happenin' more often back then due to the crowded conditions? If you know any black surfers, bet that they are probably not kooks nor beginning surfers, right, for from what I gather, you really don't like kooks or beginners, don't give 'em a tip or 2, even a wave, would ya agree? Please tell more about how black surfers should be, or how black beginners+kooks are supposed to behave, ok? See ya...

Speak English.

Also, we are talking about the present, not the events of 30 - 40+ years ago.

I regularly see black surfers at Trestles and Scripps and they appeared to be enjoying themselves unhindered. I did, however, surf with Elishama Beckford not too long ago and can his out of control behavior in the water needed to be hindered, quite badly.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902545
01/23/19 01:26 PM
01/23/19 01:26 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island

I wonder if Black Surfing Association's Tony Corley got to talk of this below, in that interview:

F**kin' gnarly...

Yes, indeed fckin gnarly.

The last time I saw Tony Corley he looked like he was pushing 60, that was probably 10 years ago, so he's what, probably 70 by now?

Which would make that little note, considering the tone and spelling, probably written sometime in the early 60s. Over half a century ago.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32