REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: waxurDyl] #2888487
12/17/18 10:09 PM
12/17/18 10:09 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
I heard Kelly ordered a couple boards each from various local shapers here (some big names, some not so big names) for testing and R&D, nothing was promised as far as future models, but it was somewhat implied.

Last edited by Racer1; 12/17/18 10:09 PM.
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Oeste858] #2888494
12/17/18 10:19 PM
12/17/18 10:19 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Kelly's seem to be semi replicas of what he is riding . Best and normal starting point .

Travis Lee is mentioned helping . Kelly has said Travis orders most of his boards and knows more about them .

Not Wades normal look or fin placements .

Wade is probably one of the best shapers he will ever work with - congrats to both cheers

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Racer1] #2888497
12/17/18 10:24 PM
12/17/18 10:24 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
Is he's going to scan them and call'em Slater Design?
pokestick

NOT THAT KIND
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: need 4 speed] #2888514
12/17/18 10:49 PM
12/17/18 10:49 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Kelly credits his shapers and realizes the benefits .

I've been told he's making a push here on the east coast picking up a top pro and some lower ones to promote Slater Designs .

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Greg Griffin] #2888546
12/17/18 11:45 PM
12/17/18 11:45 PM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia

Looking at Schroff's bio on his website I think its a bit rich of him to call out people who choose to ride a Firewire surfboard a sellout when he's done work for the big surf corporations for decades.
So what's he up to now? Making copies of McCoy and MR boards and wandering around in his van to surf away from the crowds he helped create.

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: deforest] #2888582
12/18/18 01:35 AM
12/18/18 01:35 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
I doubt any pro, that is competing on tour, rides a board that everyday non-pro surfers would ride (i.e. OTR). Those guys are on a different level and require different boards.

Ive ridden boards made for Dane Reynolds and Ive ridden boards made for Jordy. They worked fine and I would have kept them had it not been for the shit glass jobs.

Im not a pro. Not anywhere near a pro.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Duffy] #2888619
12/18/18 05:24 AM
12/18/18 05:24 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Quote:
I doubt any pro, that is competing on tour, rides a board that everyday non-pro surfers would ride (i.e. OTR). Those guys are on a different level and require different boards.

Ive ridden boards made for Dane Reynolds and Ive ridden boards made for Jordy. They worked fine and I would have kept them had it not been for the shit glass jobs.

I think you miss-read the post. I said the opposite of what you said. Pros dont usually ride OTR boards on the CT or QS.

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: waxurDyl] #2888657
12/18/18 01:41 PM
12/18/18 01:41 PM
O
OlafHM Offline
Grom
OlafHM  Offline
Grom
O

Hey IndoDreams, could you tell us something about the board Michel Bourez used in Round4 ???? What firewire tech is that???

WPOWS Tech? (White pigment over wood stringer)

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: waxurDyl] #2888888
12/18/18 08:50 PM
12/18/18 08:50 PM
I
indodreams Offline
Nep status
indodreams  Offline
Nep status
I

I just watched the heat again to see, but no sorry i can't tell you what it was commentators just said a 6,2 Firewire.

He does sometimes ride FST, or could be helium or just could be LFT without the spray on the deck.

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: deforest] #2888927
12/18/18 10:40 PM
12/18/18 10:40 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Originally Posted By: deforest
Quote:

I think you miss-read the post. I said the opposite of what you said. Pros dont usually ride OTR boards on the CT or QS.

Yes, pros don't usually buy a board out of a shop, but you said that " those guys are on a different level and require different boards" Duffy says he has similar needs and likes pro boards but not a pro and he seems everyday. Not sure how's that opposite of what you said. Please explain.

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: surfwhere] #2888944
12/19/18 12:05 AM
12/19/18 12:05 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: surfwhere
Quote:

Yes, pros don't usually buy a board out of a shop, but you said that " those guys are on a different level and require different boards" Duffy says he has similar needs and likes pro boards but not a pro and he seems everyday. Not sure how's that opposite of what you said. Please explain.

Yeah, also some of my favorite boards were models designed for Slater (Wizard Sleeve, Tangent, Semi-pro, Kstep) but my dims arent the same because Im significantly heavier.

I do know for a fact that Kellys Fred Rubbles were not the same as OTR Freds, so theres that.

- The Wasp
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Duffy] #2889000
12/19/18 02:12 AM
12/19/18 02:12 AM
Beast Coast
C
ciscojaws Offline
Michael Peterson status
ciscojaws  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

Beast Coast
Originally Posted By: surfwhere
Quote:

Yeah, also some of my favorite boards were models designed for Slater (Wizard Sleeve, Tangent, Semi-pro, Kstep) but my dims arent the same because Im significantly heavier.

I do know for a fact that Kellys Fred Rubbles were not the same as OTR Freds, so theres that.

How is that Wizard Sleeve?

I’m just here to drink some beer and ride high volume boards.
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: ciscojaws] #2889067
12/19/18 12:50 PM
12/19/18 12:50 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
How is that Wizard Sleeve?

My all time favorite board.

Not so great in a crowd. Its small size and low volume puts you at a disadvantage moving around in the lineup. Usually not much of an issue.

Also, at spots where a lot of water is moving around its better to have more foam.

As for the act of riding waves its the best board Ive ever had from punchy chest high to as big as I can catch with it.

- The Wasp
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Duffy] #2889077
12/19/18 02:00 PM
12/19/18 02:00 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka

The beauty of a genuine surfboard company like CI is that if you want one exactly like Kelly's you just write it on the order sheet and get it custom.

Although some might say even with a similar outline if his rockers etc. exceeded the spirit of the actual model then his shouldn't have been called FRs.

Possible deceptive marketing..

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: surfwhere] #2889084
12/19/18 02:29 PM
12/19/18 02:29 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
Although some might say even with a similar outline if his rockers etc. exceeded the spirit of the actual model then his shouldn't have been called FRs.

Ive seen a couple of his Freds that had a single concave and one with single to vee.

- The Wasp
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4