REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: Greg Griffin] #2876307
11/16/18 07:41 PM
11/16/18 07:41 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Last i checked Japan is "Oversea "

“It reinforces the Americanization story of Toyota,” says Bill Fay, general manager of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S. “We operate ten plants in the U.S., build more than 2 million vehicles here, and 71% of our sales [here in America] are vehicles built in North America.”

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: surfwhere] #2876316
11/16/18 07:48 PM
11/16/18 07:48 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
These responses are Very confusing .

I've said nothing about Chinese boards .

Marketing has completely taken over surfboard building and design .

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: Greg Griffin] #2876326
11/16/18 08:00 PM
11/16/18 08:00 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Someday you'll realize that the real world has entered the surfboard industry.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: jkb] #2876328
11/16/18 08:02 PM
11/16/18 08:02 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Originally Posted By: jkb
Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
too. ad the bufo didnt take off. they had sum great ideas. qc maybe the issue?

The one's you could pressurize were pretty expensive, right?

Somewhere around $800 in the mid 2000's, if I am remembering correctly.

I don't think people were ready for that back then.

They'd probably sell well now, however.

Too much chief not enough Indian.

Could have stayed in business if they went to Asia to cover costs of keeping their no production workforce.. same problems Firewood had. There is no telling the salary requirements of someone that was a previous VP of an international billion dollar flip flop/bottle opener company.

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: Greg Griffin] #2876342
11/16/18 08:28 PM
11/16/18 08:28 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Yes.

Japanese company builds majority of cars for American in America. That's like how CI build boards for Europe in Europe except for small percentage. Firewire is American company that builds boards in Asia and ships to America except for very very small percentage which are built for marketing purposes to be used by influencers. Ford builds some cars in Mexico. Which board company builds boards in Mexico again?

Easily discussed.

Marketing has driven surfboard sales since the first surfboard magazine so I'm not sure how to combat that unfortunately. I'm not saying it but some might say you commenting here is your marketing. I see it as you trying to be the ref of a soccer game between 6 year olds where no one knows what they are doing, the rules are being taught while the game is being played, & all the while the score doesn't matter

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2876364
11/16/18 09:20 PM
11/16/18 09:20 PM
I
indodreams Offline
Nep status
indodreams  Offline
Nep status
I

Even though i now have more choice of boards and shapes and much better durable boards than ever.

I do kind of wish we could go back to the days when the only boards you could buy in my local area where from local board shapers (about half a dozen shapers/outlets) and you could tell where a guy was from, from the board he rode.

Then one shop in the late 90s started selling all big name brands CI, Merricks, DHD's, Mayhems, Simon Andersons, Maurice Coles etc

Some of them not even Australian brands.

I also wish we could also go back to days without mobil phones and internet and surf reports etc but sadly we cant, personally i just make the most of change.

Last edited by indodreams; 11/16/18 09:21 PM.
Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2876404
11/16/18 10:46 PM
11/16/18 10:46 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
"Someday you'll realize that the real world has entered the surfboard industry."

Wowzummm

Already have 25- 30+ years ago

Of course none of you bought all those Nylon FCS fins in the 90's correct ? :-)

And yes without being Too negative I have tried to educate and counter some of this "inaccurate" marketing .

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2876521
11/17/18 05:24 AM
11/17/18 05:24 AM
I
indodreams Offline
Nep status
indodreams  Offline
Nep status
I

I don't think i ever bought those crappy FSC fins but you always got them with a new board, i don't even remember any other fins being sold back then?

Still one of the best things to happen to surfboards, remember the days when you had to pack foam around your fins for airline travel and you would still get the odd cracked fin, don't miss those days.

I don't get this marketing thing, maybe I'm naive i don't even notice it...does anyone actually take any notice of advertising and promoting of products with gimmicks?.

I think the only marketing that some people follow or get influenced by is sponsorship, if a pro rides a board then they want one.

Im more influenced by word of mouth than anything friends, guys down the beach, guys in local shop or might get curious on a board etc if i read others views on it online.

First firewire i rode was only because my mate that worked in local surf shop that sold about twenty different shapes and their local label, raved about them.

I tried one of the test boards, didn't like it and didn't ride one for a year or two after that.

Only bought one after i saw a brand new one in the secondhand racks for a good price and it was the exact dims & shape i was looking for, i then learnt from experience that you could have a board that went good was light and lasted.

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2879207
11/24/18 08:43 PM
11/24/18 08:43 PM
I
indodreams Offline
Nep status
indodreams  Offline
Nep status
I

I see DHD are partnering up with another company (Modum to get into clothing etc)

Also bringing out a range of EPS/Epoxy boards made in Asia.

"DHD are moving into epoxy boards. Most will be made in the Cobra factory, Thailand. They’ve just taken delivery of 1,000 of them."

https://www.swellnet.com/news/surfpolitik/2018/11/23/darren-handley-and-wisdom-crowd

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: indodreams] #2879235
11/24/18 10:43 PM
11/24/18 10:43 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida

"I don't get this marketing thing, maybe I'm naive i don't even notice it...does anyone actually take any notice of advertising and promoting of products with gimmicks?."

FCS owned all sales in the 90's

You were one of those sheep .

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: Greg Griffin] #2879293
11/25/18 02:02 AM
11/25/18 02:02 AM
I
indodreams Offline
Nep status
indodreams  Offline
Nep status
I

"I don't get this marketing thing, maybe I'm naive i don't even notice it...does anyone actually take any notice of advertising and promoting of products with gimmicks?."

FCS owned all sales in the 90's

You were one of those sheep .

I don't think it was marketing to why myself or even my friends bought FCS fins it was more the fact our local shaper started using the system and slowly went from fixed fins to FCS system.

I actually had a friend that was involved in developing another system with a clip more similar to FCS 2's, i would have preferred to use his system just to support him, but it wasnt an option. (like many of those early systems, they are no longer around)

Last edited by indodreams; 11/25/18 02:05 AM.
Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: indodreams] #2879296
11/25/18 02:28 AM
11/25/18 02:28 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
I made boards thru this era

All boards had to have FCS fins to sell in stores .

I worked for a company at this time that had all glass on custom fins - mine

Dont fight history , just accept it and move along . wave2

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2880018
11/27/18 01:09 AM
11/27/18 01:09 AM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
FCS became the standard at some point.

Shapers were actually charging you more to install glass-on fins.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: Greg Griffin] #2880094
11/27/18 05:23 AM
11/27/18 05:23 AM
I
indodreams Offline
Nep status
indodreams  Offline
Nep status
I

I made boards thru this era

All boards had to have FCS fins to sell in stores .

I worked for a company at this time that had all glass on custom fins - mine

Dont fight history , just accept it and move along . wave2

I know you see FCS as a negative

But personally I love fin systems.

Awesome for traveling no busted out fins anymore.

And ability to mix things up and get a different feel or fins to suit different waves or styles of surfing.

Re: Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards? [Re: indodreams] #2880144
11/27/18 02:28 PM
11/27/18 02:28 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
"I know you see FCS as a negative"

Love having this system to use

"And ability to mix things up and get a different feel or fins to suit different waves or styles of surfing."

That can be fun , There is a level of performance - design you will never be aware of too .

That would change your whole outlook .

Systems have no idea it exists and want you to buy as many fins as possible for your board .

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18