REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2797562
05/23/18 05:14 PM
05/23/18 05:14 PM
R
rts265 Offline OP
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
R

I suspect mine is oversized. The guy who traded it said it was 5’10 x 21.5

It looks bigger than my same dims quadfish

No worries - having a blast on it. Wondering if I should try to dial in dims on a new one? I guess if it’s not broke why fix it.

I think I saw an article about rk riding longer Vader

How do these shapes scale? Say I wanted a Short gmm2 or Vader but want to go wider than stock dims? Will that work?

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2797629
05/23/18 07:10 PM
05/23/18 07:10 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2797640
05/23/18 07:33 PM
05/23/18 07:33 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: rts265
I suspect mine is oversized. The guy who traded it said it was 5’10 x 21.5

It looks bigger than my same dims quadfish

No worries - having a blast on it. Wondering if I should try to dial in dims on a new one? I guess if it’s not broke why fix it.

I think I saw an article about rk riding longer Vader

How do these shapes scale? Say I wanted a Short gmm2 or Vader but want to go wider than stock dims? Will that work?

As for the GMM2:

I've only ridden the one I have now, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you have some flexibility on sizing. Somewhere from chin height to eye height is probably optimal. I think you could go as tall as you are if you really want some extra foam.

As for width, I go with my standard hpsb width. I gear mine for high performance surfing but you can add a little width if you're looking for stability.

After you know the width, I would dial in the thickness to get whatever volume you're looking for. I go right around hpsb volume as well since it planes at really low speed.

But if you're having fun on the one you have then ride it. Worry about dialing dims on a new one once you beat that one to shit. I've had mine for 4 years now and ride it 90% of the time. I finally just put in an order for a new one because I started getting paranoid that if by some rare occurrence I broke it, I wouldn't have anything that worked for NCSD waves.

How tall are you? Weight?

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2797661
05/23/18 08:02 PM
05/23/18 08:02 PM
R
rts265 Offline OP
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
R

I’m 6’1 200ish

Currently narrowest board is 21

Really got into fish and other short fat shapes

Could go 20.5, 20.75

Width is a killer for me at this point

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: jkb] #2797677
05/23/18 08:13 PM
05/23/18 08:13 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: SharkBoy
My two cents on the Vader.
Before the Nano/Vader, i basically only surfed hi performance shortboards. Weighing 165, i got the nano 5'4 stock from firewire and absolutely loved it,
immediately bought the 5'3 vader which also scaled perfectly to what i guess would be based off of a 6'0 18 3/8 2 1/4.

Both boards were awesome and i'd put them both in the same wave range as that 6'0 18 3/8 squashtail, basically that of a high performance surfboard.

Vader is more reactive than the Nano, with a quicker and tighter turning radius.

I'd say the major difference in it's range compared with the high performance shortboard is that it planes earlier, thus you are on your feet earlier, and it also stays planing at lower speeds making it a great performance shortboard in smaller surf than a hpsb. you can cruise on by slow sections that are a dead end on an hpsb. but generally it's got the same range.

Great description of the Vader. I rode mine today and it never fails. I always have a great time on it. Also, RT265, I think the Vader handles barreling waves pretty good because its so narrow. It fits in the curve of the wave nicely! wink

Originally Posted By: jkb
Thanks man shaka Full disclosure.....I didn't land it frown2

Hey Oeste,

Can you tell me a little more about your GMM1.5 and GMM2? What is the difference between the two? Do you like one better than the other? Are they sized similar?

Hahaha! It still counts! And still looks sick!

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2797729
05/23/18 09:11 PM
05/23/18 09:11 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: rts265
I’m 6’1 200ish

Currently narrowest board is 21

Really got into fish and other short fat shapes

Could go 20.5, 20.75

Width is a killer for me at this point

I think you should stick with what you have.

You can go shorter and/or narrower in the future if you want to get more performance out of it.

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: jkb] #2797753
05/23/18 09:48 PM
05/23/18 09:48 PM
San Diego, CA
O
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Oeste858  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
O

San Diego, CA

Hey Oeste,
Can you tell me a little more about your GMM1.5 and GMM2? What is the difference between the two? Do you like one better than the other? Are they sized similar?

jkb-
The GMM"1.5" blue SL is 5'8 x 19 x 2.5, 32.9 CL. Came from gbarsby3. It's version "1.5" due to refinements from the original GMM. Not positive, but I don't believe the original had the channels out the back like this one. I like that it has Tomo's logo also, which I don't think he is allowed to do any longer by the FW overlords. I liked this board a lot in the smaller/mushier days (coming from an Evo), but felt it could be a little shorter (I'm 6', 180), in keeping with the Tomo MPH ethos.

The GMM2 Stringered one is 5’6 x 20 x 2.5, 33 CL. I bought it from Havoc4k just this winter. I wanted to try the shorter / wider outline which seems closer to the miniSimmons (Casper) design that Dan & RK evolved the GMM design from. I feel like the 2" shorter length frees up the design a bit, and really allows me to whip it around easier. it felt like a magic carpet the first time I rode it at small, inside Swamis. The main difference from the 1.5 is the full Evo/QISC channel runs down the whole bottom of the board, not just the back. It definitely gives it a different feel planing and when on rail. Might even be a tiny bit faster than the other one. This one has so much effortless speed in small surf! If I wanted to ride a GMM in chest- to head-high surf, I'd probably switch to the longer one. Interestingly, the couple times I was out and the wind changed and the waves got hollower / bowl-y, the board did not seem to fit the wave very well on the drops (I suppose due to the blocky outline or wide tail) and I felt like a total kook.

Volume-wise for me, at around 33L these are both 2.5L more than my 30.5L XTR Evo, as I want these as my small wave board.
Fins: I ride it as quad on the smallest days, thruster around waist high. Was using FCS2 Reactors or FireWires, now just the Kryptsurf PowerDrive hatchet fins which give a boost outta turns.

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2797764
05/23/18 09:57 PM
05/23/18 09:57 PM
D
DroppingOn Offline
Nep status
DroppingOn  Offline
Nep status
D

I sometimes toy with the idea of a GMM2 + Omni + Hydronaut or Evo + Omni + Hydronaut as a three board quiver. I've ridden and enjoyed Tomos but haven't really committed to it. I feel like just having one in the quiver kind of screws you up. Considered getting the Cymatic to mix into my boards but going from nose to noseless is always weird - hence my hesitation. Those little feelings of magic you get with them are unmistakable though.

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: DroppingOn] #2797774
05/23/18 10:07 PM
05/23/18 10:07 PM
San Diego, CA
O
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Oeste858  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
O

San Diego, CA
I hear you. Since going "full Tomo" the past couple years, it is a trip anytime I get back onto a pointed nose- even the Sci-Fi. Which makes it baffling that so many of Tomo's current designs are going that way (I know, aesthetics for contest judges).
Pretty content with my current Tomo lineup: GMM2 (xtr) -> Evo (xtr) -> Cymatic (FW) -> Omni (FW)
Wish the last 2 were offered in xtr though!

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: DroppingOn] #2798215
05/24/18 05:08 PM
05/24/18 05:08 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Really good info Oeste. Thanks.

I'm going a little longer/wider on my next one. I feel I want a little more foam to push against sometimes. But it makes me nervous changing the dims of a magic board. I guess we'll see.

Originally Posted By: DroppingOn
I sometimes toy with the idea of a GMM2 + Omni + Hydronaut or Evo + Omni + Hydronaut as a three board quiver. I've ridden and enjoyed Tomos but haven't really committed to it. I feel like just having one in the quiver kind of screws you up. Considered getting the Cymatic to mix into my boards but going from nose to noseless is always weird - hence my hesitation. Those little feelings of magic you get with them are unmistakable though.

I think you can get away with just having a GMM2 as a groveler and having normal pointed nosed boards for anything bigger. The GMM2 fits mushy conditions and waves with tiny pockets so much better than anything else I've tried. My next board up was a Proctor Monsta. I would pull it out when things would get chest high and above. The transition from one to the other wasn't an issue IMO.

Not to say those other Tomo designs you mention aren't great as well, but the GMM2 is a good start without having to commit to an entire quiver overhaul.

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: jkb] #2798262
05/24/18 05:55 PM
05/24/18 05:55 PM
D
DroppingOn Offline
Nep status
DroppingOn  Offline
Nep status
D

Really good info Oeste. Thanks.

I'm going a little longer/wider on my next one. I feel I want a little more foam to push against sometimes. But it makes me nervous changing the dims of a magic board. I guess we'll see.

Originally Posted By: DroppingOn

I think you can get away with just having a GMM2 as a groveler and having normal pointed nosed boards for anything bigger. The GMM2 fits mushy conditions and waves with tiny pockets so much better than anything else I've tried. My next board up was a Proctor Monsta. I would pull it out when things would get chest high and above. The transition from one to the other wasn't an issue IMO.

Not to say those other Tomo designs you mention aren't great as well, but the GMM2 is a good start without having to commit to an entire quiver overhaul.

Good point. I'll definitely grab one if I find it in my dims. Currently riding a Quadfish when it's small then going to a Stubby bastard for 2/3-6 foot faces. I like the quadfish - it's cruisy - but I don't like the width of it.

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2798306
05/24/18 06:51 PM
05/24/18 06:51 PM
R
rts265 Offline OP
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
R

Made a sick one on my gmm2 today - 2 heavy barreling sections (wasn’t in the tube) but amazed I made it. Wish I had my russ short but the gmm2 handled the conditions surprisingly well. Steep fast drops, fast hollow waves.

Last edited by rts265; 05/24/18 06:52 PM.
Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2798307
05/24/18 06:53 PM
05/24/18 06:53 PM
R
rts265 Offline OP
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
R

Kind of want to explore a more traditional Simmons/hull from hydrodynamica. fook me I thought I had chilled on boards. Down to 4 right now.

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2798330
05/24/18 07:29 PM
05/24/18 07:29 PM
OB/NCSD
H
Hoarder Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hoarder  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

OB/NCSD
I'm kind of tempted by a GMM2 on craigslist locally, but it seems a bit big: 5'6" x 20 x 2 5/8 (34.4L). I'm around 190 and typically ride 31-32L. I don't have XTR experience but I've been told it's like an extra liter of float. Will this still be too bulky?

Re: Hydrodynamica gmm2 and others [Re: rts265] #2798334
05/24/18 07:40 PM
05/24/18 07:40 PM
R
rts265 Offline OP
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
R

Mine is more floaty than I’m used to but doesn’t seem to hurt. I don’t mind volume though.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8