REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? #2795173
05/19/18 12:52 AM
05/19/18 12:52 AM
D
DroppingOn Offline OP
Nep status
DroppingOn  Offline OP
Nep status
D

I'm starting to think that they onlyfeel faster because they are light but in reality they are not. I'm getting annoyed at the lack of momentum and drive I'm getting out of these things. Unless the waves are perfect PU feels better. I've had a few DDs in different EPS techs. The only ones that felt decent to me were carbon wrap (still a bit tinny and chattery at times), Stretch CFT, and FW LFT. The lighter techs like FST, Hyfi, Helium among others have all felt like they lack momentum and drive. Anybody else?

Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795180
05/19/18 01:13 AM
05/19/18 01:13 AM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

It blows my mind that with all of the competition among board builders that no one has definitively solved the issue of durability + performance

I feel like if the auto makers started manufacturing surfboards they would solve this in about 6 months

Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795187
05/19/18 01:21 AM
05/19/18 01:21 AM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

A lot of us are just used to poly

It works really good and if it's made with care then it lasts

Eps epoxy has 2 significant advantages,

1, use more cloth on a lighter core for a strong shell type build for a durable product. If u get used to the feel that's great

2, a nice light small wave board

Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795212
05/19/18 02:47 AM
05/19/18 02:47 AM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Offline
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
Why dont they make epoxy boards just as heavy as PU?

Then theyd be bullet proof.

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: Duffy] #2795244
05/19/18 03:22 AM
05/19/18 03:22 AM
D
DroppingOn Offline OP
Nep status
DroppingOn  Offline OP
Nep status
D

Originally Posted By: Duffy

Very true haha.

I see pretty clear differences in the heavier vs lighter construction in this vid

Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795248
05/19/18 03:36 AM
05/19/18 03:36 AM
S
Sniper Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Sniper  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Any shaper using poly resin just likes the fact that it is so cheap! I get my pu blanks glassed with one single layer of 6 ounce s glass and epoxy resin.150 dollars more but it lasts 5 years and never loses its flex. Most shapers will do this but I think most surfers want to replace boards often and love getting new shiny toys. I have a few guys I get boards from who say no chemical bond between epoxy and pu causes delamination but I have yet to experience that. Glad I figured it out. I used to buy 5 boards a year and am down to maybe one and they work better for me anyway.

Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: Duffy] #2795266
05/19/18 04:29 AM
05/19/18 04:29 AM
Nar
C
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Clamsmasha  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar

Thats the best way imo. Some guys do that as standard, and the board has some of the dampness of a poly with the upsides of epoxy. Still respectably light too.

You know consumers though...they walk along the rack, pick up a 2lb K15lly board and its like theyre staring straight up a strippers snapper. Money changes hands and disappointment ensues.

Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795269
05/19/18 04:33 AM
05/19/18 04:33 AM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
I've never heard of them being faster, just lighter and stronger.

Call me old school but I'll take poly any day of the week. By the time it's worn out I'm ready for a tweak anyway.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795277
05/19/18 05:27 AM
05/19/18 05:27 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
I love my lightweight EPS Stamps boards for most waves up to head high or so. Going on a year on the most recent ones and no dings loss of liveliness just some comfy little foot wells. The lighter boards are more responsive and I feel like EPS has a faster rebound which is good or fitting in tighter turns in smaller waves.

I have some Stretch EPS tech boards that are pretty heavy and more suited to medium to large surf.

Big and bumpy, windy, I go to poly boards.

Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795348
05/19/18 01:14 PM
05/19/18 01:14 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
I hate PU. They feel dead to me. I surf mostly small So Cal waves so a lively EPS board feels much better underfoot.

Also, not all EPS is created equal. If you get an EPS blank with the same density as a PU blank, then they don't lack drive at all. When people say EPS is too light, they are comparing an EPS blank that is much less dense than their PU counterpart. Not a fair comparison.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: Clamsmasha] #2795386
05/19/18 02:33 PM
05/19/18 02:33 PM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Offline
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
Originally Posted By: Clamsmasha

Thats the best way imo. Some guys do that as standard, and the board has some of the dampness of a poly with the upsides of epoxy. Still respectably light too.

You know consumers though...they walk along the rack, pick up a 2lb K15lly board and its like theyre staring straight up a strippers snapper. Money changes hands and disappointment ensues.

I generally dont like really light boards, in the weight to length ratio.

If I want a really light feel then I just ride a really small board.

- The Wasp
Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795388
05/19/18 02:35 PM
05/19/18 02:35 PM
S
surfy1476 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
surfy1476  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

My XPS board has tons of drive and momentum. It beats huge sections like no other. I think its glassed somewhat heavy though, I don't remember the schedule. It might have s cloth on the deck.

Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: jkb] #2795389
05/19/18 02:36 PM
05/19/18 02:36 PM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Offline
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
Originally Posted By: jkb
I hate PU. They feel dead to me. I surf mostly small So Cal waves so a lively EPS board feels much better underfoot.

Also, not all EPS is created equal. If you get an EPS blank with the same density as a PU blank, then they don't lack drive at all. When people say EPS is too light, they are comparing an EPS blank that is much less dense than their PU counterpart. Not a fair comparison.

One mans dead is another mans solid.

As far as comparing and eps blank to a pu blank not being fair...

...well when youre comparing an eps blank to a pu blank and you feel the eps is too light, how is this not a fair comparison? One is lighter than the other. We cant point that out?

- The Wasp
Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: Duffy] #2795427
05/19/18 03:28 PM
05/19/18 03:28 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: jkb

One mans dead is another mans solid.

As far as comparing and eps blank to a pu blank not being fair...

...well when youre comparing an eps blank to a pu blank and you feel the eps is too light, how is this not a fair comparison? One is lighter than the other. We cant point that out?

It's because you're probably not comparing a 2lb PU blank to a 2lb EPS blank. More than likely, people are comparing a 2lb PU blank to a 1.5 lb EPS blank. Of course it will be lighter socrazy

....and a lighter blank will translate to less down the line momentum (drive), but quicker acceleration out of the gate.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Epoxy marketing - are they really fast? [Re: DroppingOn] #2795484
05/19/18 05:37 PM
05/19/18 05:37 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Havent ridden much PU, but could see how a heavier board could seem faster when the conditions are choppy.

EPS Epoxy faster? Hmmmmm. Maybe quicker in certain movements but it cant trim faster down the line, no way.

Im pretty much a small wave surfer, and who doesnt love morning glass, so my EPS Epoxy I can pick up wth 2 fingers is pretty sweet.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Page 1 of 2 1 2