REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972315
06/24/19 08:05 PM
06/24/19 08:05 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
I can’t figure out the hype of wavestorms.

I belly flop every bottom turn. Not my kind of rails.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Racer1] #2972332
06/24/19 09:11 PM
06/24/19 09:11 PM
S. Redondo
C
ChaseTMP Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ChaseTMP  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

S. Redondo
Originally Posted by Racer1
I had a 5'8 Hypto (I'm 6'1) and it felt crazy good in the barrel. It did not like going vertical or doing snaps. You'd have to wait till like the last second and kinda ollie it up into the lip, but then once you hit the lip the rocker was so flat that you'd have to immediately get back on the tail coming down or you'd nose dive. Doing that every snap meant you weren't linking snaps easily. It would rather be out on the should doing round houses. It felt pretty boring if the waves weren't barreling.

I had several Haydenshapes, including a 5'4 Hypto (furthest to the left). In beachbreak, it just felt kind of planky. I've seen guys surf them pretty well though, but the surfing looked like your'e describing. The 5'8 Psychedelic Germ (2nd from left) in comparison, was fun from knee high to slightly overhead and did everything well that I'd expect in a HPSB. My daughter was six in the photo (she's 12 now) and got artsy with some paint pens (skyscrapers, not sure why). The wave shot was at Colorado's (Nicaragua) on the Germ. The other two boards were a Unit Shifter and an Ando, neither of which I bonded with. My last board from Haydenshapes was a Love Buzz. That didn't go that well either and that right around the time my hookup with them was winding down, which was probably for the best, since I haven't liked the last several I've Awayco'd.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972339
06/24/19 09:20 PM
06/24/19 09:20 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted by Duffy

When I see guys entering the water with 6’ + Hyptos I know right away that they are kooks. Hell any size Hypto for that matter.

I rode a 6' 4" once in Santa Cruz. hah bricks

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: 92122] #2972341
06/24/19 09:30 PM
06/24/19 09:30 PM
F
FalseLight Offline
Gerry Lopez status
FalseLight  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
F

Had a FF Hypto that felt like I was dragging a pound of kelp, tried different fins, but ended up selling it

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: ChaseTMP] #2972355
06/24/19 10:39 PM
06/24/19 10:39 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted by ChaseTMP
The 5'8 Psychedelic Germ (2nd from left) in comparison, was fun from knee high to slightly overhead and did everything well that I'd expect in a HPSB.

I've always wanted to try a germ. A friend that I really respect as a surfer and gives honest feedback on boards said it's one of his all time favorites. He used to get them for free, but doesn't have the hook up anymore and like most super rippers only rides whats free.

Last edited by Racer1; 06/24/19 10:40 PM.
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972375
06/24/19 11:09 PM
06/24/19 11:09 PM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

I surfed in the 90's, so had a lot of dogshit boards.
Of late, the board that was a total dud for me was the Superbrand Mad Cat and the JR surfboards Donkey model (their other boards rock). Just didn't click for me.

Last edited by Waxfoot; 06/24/19 11:10 PM.
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972430
06/25/19 01:13 AM
06/25/19 01:13 AM
Bahamas
A
aldo1 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
aldo1  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
A

Bahamas
I have a friend in the Bahamas who rides a 5’8 hypo there and a 5’6 at home in the US. He absolutely rips on both in everything from waist high slop to well OH reef breaks.
I rode one once and could not get it to work. Felt fat and dead.

They have sold plenty so it must work for a lot of people.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Racer1] #2972436
06/25/19 01:42 AM
06/25/19 01:42 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
I had a 5'8 Hypto (I'm 6'1) and it felt crazy good in the barrel. It did not like going vertical or doing snaps. You'd have to wait till like the last second and kinda ollie it up into the lip, but then once you hit the lip the rocker was so flat that you'd have to immediately get back on the tail coming down or you'd nose dive. Doing that every snap meant you weren't linking snaps easily. It would rather be out on the should doing round houses. It felt pretty boring if the waves weren't barreling.

Interesting. My buddy is much shorter, like 5'9", prob weighs 160-170 and is also riding the 5'8" I think.

I bet when he's got his rear foot on the tail pad his front foot is further back than yours would be so maybe the nose stays up a bit easier.

I have a feeling even though his 5'8" is right around the volume I usually ride it will feel weird and short for me at 6'3".

Never heard such varied feedback on a board like this Hypto.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972463
06/25/19 02:38 AM
06/25/19 02:38 AM
California/Hawaii
M
Muscles Offline
Nep status
Muscles  Offline
Nep status
M

California/Hawaii
Once I went through a long board phase (don't judge me) and ended up buying this weird 10'0 Blane Chambers SUP hybrid that I wanted for deep water breaks that I surf. It had deep edge rails and was four inches thick. No idea WTF I was thinking. I had just got a bonus from work so maybe I just felt the need to spend money. I don't know. Board was absolutely uncontrollable. First wave I took off was well overhead in size. I went to bottom turn and the board pivoted straight up and I got clobbered. It was the most unstable and unpredictable piece of shit board I ever rode in 25+ years. I'm not kidding when I say standing on son's boogie board felt more stable. As soon as you engaged a rail it would do all sorts of crazy shit. No wonder the idea of edge rails never caught on. Thankfully it was super easy to sell and I recouped most of my money.

The board pretty much ended my desire to ever ride a bigger board. Sold all my longboards immediately and moved back to sub six foot thrusters.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: ChaseTMP] #2972535
06/25/19 05:44 AM
06/25/19 05:44 AM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

in da hood next to paradise
Originally Posted by ChaseTMP

I had several Haydenshapes, including a 5'4 Hypto (furthest to the left). In beachbreak, it just felt kind of planky. I've seen guys surf them pretty well though, but the surfing looked like your'e describing. The 5'8 Psychedelic Germ (2nd from left) in comparison, was fun from knee high to slightly overhead and did everything well that I'd expect in a HPSB. My daughter was six in the photo (she's 12 now) and got artsy with some paint pens (skyscrapers, not sure why). The wave shot was at Colorado's (Nicaragua) on the Germ. The other two boards were a Unit Shifter and an Ando, neither of which I bonded with. My last board from Haydenshapes was a Love Buzz. That didn't go that well either and that right around the time my hookup with them was winding down, which was probably for the best, since I haven't liked the last several I've Awayco'd.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

cute kid. nice boards! rad barrel! jam_on

seems like hayden is having sum growing painz lolz. hyptos seem to need a special kind of wave and ridden short. the longer ones work good in san diego mush. i tried a 5'10 asian made one and had a 5'8 that was way too big for me. fun design but a pintail is a pintail. not a gravel boar

Last edited by Havoc4k; 06/25/19 05:47 AM. Reason: me engrish long time

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Waxfoot] #2972544
06/25/19 06:38 AM
06/25/19 06:38 AM
South Oz.
T
Toobz Offline
Grom
Toobz  Offline
Grom
T

South Oz.
Originally Posted by Waxfoot
Of late, the board that was a total dud for me was the Superbrand Mad Cat and the JR surfboards Donkey model (their other boards rock). Just didn't click for me.

Have you tried either the “second cousin” or “Bam bam”?

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Toobz] #2972561
06/25/19 09:23 AM
06/25/19 09:23 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Originally Posted by Toobz

The others I tried were the Step Cousin and Grinder max were both sicko boards (still have the grinder max in fact), I just didn't click at all with the donkey. It's touted as a small wave performance board, but I could not get the thing to move. The Step cousin and second cousin are closely related, one can claim they're cousins?

I gave Dave who works there the feedback, and he's keen to help work on a board that suits, but think I'll make start with a 'Wade specced' Bam Bam, as I'm of similar build type.

Last edited by Waxfoot; 06/25/19 09:46 AM.
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Waxfoot] #2972565
06/25/19 09:41 AM
06/25/19 09:41 AM
South Oz.
T
Toobz Offline
Grom
Toobz  Offline
Grom
T

South Oz.
Originally Posted by Toobz

Step Cousin and Grinder max were both sicko boards (still have the grinder max in fact), I just didn't click at all with the donkey. It's touted as a small wave performance board, but I could not get the thing to move. The Step cousin and second cousing are closely related, one can claim they're cousins? :

I gave Dave who works there the feedback, and he's keen to help work on a board that suits, but think I'll make start with a 'Wade specced' Bam Bam, as I'm of similar build type.

cheers

Yeah I was looking at both a couple weeks back. Bam Bam looks the goods.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Toobz] #2972567
06/25/19 09:48 AM
06/25/19 09:48 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Did you see it physically toobz, or just browsing their site? Quite interested to know if the nose is a little wider on the Bam bam than say 'standard hpsb' ?

ps: the bipolar twin ... now that's something that's caught my eye too!

Last edited by Waxfoot; 06/25/19 09:52 AM.
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972570
06/25/19 10:38 AM
06/25/19 10:38 AM
South Oz.
T
Toobz Offline
Grom
Toobz  Offline
Grom
T

South Oz.
No just browsing their site.