REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2971632
06/22/19 10:45 AM
06/22/19 10:45 AM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Hayden Hypto Krypto. A total let down. Might have been a good board in good point surf but in beach break where you have to get to your feet and generate speed......no bueno. Turned easy but ZERO drive. Mine was a thruster. Perhaps the same board in a quad would have worked?

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: manbearpig] #2971633
06/22/19 10:57 AM
06/22/19 10:57 AM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted by manbearpig
The 2 that stuck out to me most as being total dogs were a Steward Fartknocker I had and Lost Physco Ward. Both were just terrible.

I know two guys who ride Fartknockers in east coast contest heats when its small. They rarely lose a heat. The one guy legitimately rips on the thing. Lately he's been riding a Machado GoFish when its tiny and the things he does on that board in gutless waves is mind blowing.

them the truth.
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Racer1] #2971681
06/22/19 02:22 PM
06/22/19 02:22 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by Racer1
Channel Islands Weirdo Ripper from 2015ish in XTR.

Outline looked great, wing swallow with extra width in the nose and tail, and stock dimensions were on the money for me.

Board was so difficult to surf. So hard to generate speed and turned so pivoty and tick tacky. Tried all my fav thruster sets, nothing worked. Tried AMT twin plus trailer and it kiiiiinda worked but still took so much thrusting to get up speed. You'd have to be thrusting all the way up and into the lip to do a snap. Hated it. Sold it in less than a month.

Because it's XTR, it's holding up great and I still see it for sale on craigslist at least once a year. Haha!

That is a board that never looked right to me (I have not ridden one). The outline looked good and the rocker looked good but the two together looked...off.

A guy I know that had one (die hard thruster dude) said that it only worked as a quad.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: GromsDad] #2971683
06/22/19 02:25 PM
06/22/19 02:25 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by GromsDad

Hayden Hypto Krypto. A total let down. Might have been a good board in good point surf but in beach break where you have to get to your feet and generate speed......no bueno. Turned easy but ZERO drive. Mine was a thruster. Perhaps the same board in a quad would have worked?

That design always looked like it would be dog shit. I’ve never seen anyone surfing well on them either. That one pro-bro dude surfed well but surfs better on almost anything else.

When I see guys entering the water with 6’ + Hyptos I know right away that they are kooks. Hell any size Hypto for that matter.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2971797
06/22/19 10:57 PM
06/22/19 10:57 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

The good news on the Hypto is I sold it for $75 more than I paid for it. Its someone else's dog now.

them the truth.
Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Duffy] #2971819
06/23/19 01:55 AM
06/23/19 01:55 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida

Racer :
Channel Islands Weirdo Ripper from 2015ish in XTR.

Outline looked great, wing swallow with extra width in the nose and tail, and stock dimensions were on the money for me.

Board was so difficult to surf. So hard to generate speed and turned so pivoty and tick tacky. Tried all my fav thruster sets, nothing worked. Tried AMT twin plus trailer and it kiiiiinda worked but still took so much thrusting to get up speed. You'd have to be thrusting all the way up and into the lip to do a snap. Hated it. Sold it in less than a month.

Bottom board is a weirdo ripper , I was shown 2 versions in 2 trips , I could have made endless functional designs for them .

Its great to see them changing fin placements in testing a design .
Duffy :
That is a board that never looked right to me (I have not ridden one). The outline looked good and the rocker looked good but the two together looked...off.
[Linked Image]

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2971863
06/23/19 12:10 PM
06/23/19 12:10 PM
J
JTS Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
JTS  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Worst board I’ve gotten was a Coil, asked for 7 foot round tail for fun East Coast, and to travel with for early fifties surfer ( not a ripper)
Board took about 14 weeks to get, ( original estimate was 6-8 weeks)
When I got it outline and finish were great, volume was good but it had extreme rocker, over 6 inches at the nose and 3 plus in the tail!
Never could get it to go, wouldn’t get into waves for shit

Best thing was, I got fed up while waiting for it and ordered a board from Oakfoils ( which I got before the Coil 🤣🤣) , that board and others have been absolutely incredible

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2971892
06/23/19 03:10 PM
06/23/19 03:10 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
easy -

hand shaped velzy long board

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972076
06/24/19 03:05 PM
06/24/19 03:05 PM
R
RatRed Offline
Grom
RatRed  Offline
Grom
R

Coil Megamind. Grovel board with no drive.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: RatRed] #2972084
06/24/19 03:42 PM
06/24/19 03:42 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted by RatRed
Coil Megamind. Grovel board with no drive.

Felt the same way about my Megamind.

Had a few fun Coils though. My favorite being a 6'4" Qualifier RP in the OG construction. Once they went dimple-tech glassing they didn't feel as good to me.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Duffy] #2972121
06/24/19 04:42 PM
06/24/19 04:42 PM
S. Redondo
C
ChaseTMP Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ChaseTMP  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

S. Redondo
Originally Posted by Duffy

That design always looked like it would be dog shit. I’ve never seen anyone surfing well on them either. That one pro-bro dude surfed well but surfs better on almost anything else.

When I see guys entering the water with 6’ + Hyptos I know right away that they are kooks. Hell any size Hypto for that matter.

There were a couple of fun waves yesterday south side of Manhattan Pier, but it seemed every decent wave that I was on I had to go around at least one Stormkooker and then call off someone on a 6'+ Hypto who were oblivious that they were snowballing.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Aruka] #2972136
06/24/19 04:58 PM
06/24/19 04:58 PM
San Buena Ventura
S
SrPato Offline
Miki Dora status
SrPato  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

San Buena Ventura
The two worst boards for me were both in 1987. The first was a Tim Phares square tail thruster. It was the heaviest 6'4" I've ever ridden and would only surf in a straight line. The second was a 6'2" Pavel tri fin. A total potato chip that you could actually feel it flex under your feet. And not in a good way. There was also this Aussie pop out, mid shape that had it's own fin system. It looked beautiful but felt like I was dragging something heavy behind me on every wave. Another fun shape that dogged out was a 8' Rennie Yater tri fin that refused to turn. It was the oddest sensation. shrug

Sr Pato

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: ChaseTMP] #2972271
06/24/19 06:42 PM
06/24/19 06:42 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted by ChaseTMP
Originally Posted by Duffy

There were a couple of fun waves yesterday south side of Manhattan Pier, but it seemed every decent wave that I was on I had to go around at least one Stormkooker and then call off someone on a 6'+ Hypto who were oblivious that they were snowballing.

A friend of mine got a Hypto a few months ago. He's a pretty good surfer who usually rides pretty standard thrusters and seems to struggle every time he tries anything out of the norm. Watching him try to surf a keel fish was pretty funny. He's very much a back footed surfer who surfs off the fins. Anyways, he kinda rips the Hypto. Seems to be a good middle ground for him like he get's in a little earlier and has a little more glide but he still does some good slashes in the pocket. His is 5-fin but he prefers it as a thruster with I think the Hayden fins. His is a 5'8 I think which is a little small for me but I wanna try it at some point.

Up to this point the only Hypto's I'd seen in the wild were like 6'8's ridden by overweight beginners.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972293
06/24/19 07:11 PM
06/24/19 07:11 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Online content
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Online Content
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
On our recent Mentawai boat trip one of the guys had a 5'5 Hypto. He swore by it - and ripped on it. His other main whip was a 6'1 Ghost.

Re: List your worst boards ever [Re: Mooobs] #2972301
06/24/19 07:28 PM
06/24/19 07:28 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
I had a 5'8 Hypto (I'm 6'1) and it felt crazy good in the barrel. It did not like going vertical or doing snaps. You'd have to wait till like the last second and kinda ollie it up into the lip, but then once you hit the lip the rocker was so flat that you'd have to immediately get back on the tail coming down or you'd nose dive. Doing that every snap meant you weren't linking snaps easily. It would rather be out on the should doing round houses. It felt pretty boring if the waves weren't barreling.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11