Surfer.com

INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD

Posted By: ifallalot

INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 07:58 PM

SAT to Give Students ‘Adversity Score’ to Capture Social and Economic Background

Let's fight prejudice with prejudice
Posted By: bird.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 07:59 PM

Would you feel better about it if they included height as a factor? I want to make sure they're including protections for your victimhood too.
Posted By: the janitor

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 08:07 PM

"this new number, called an adversity score by college admissions officers, is calculated using 15 factors including the crime rate and poverty levels from the student's high school and neighborhood"

I wonder how heavily weighted the crime stats for bribing mid-level employees to gain college admission for your kids will be monkey
Posted By: rice

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 08:10 PM

Poor upper class white kids. bawling

They can't get a high adversity score.
Posted By: Kento

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bird.
Would you feel better about it if they included height as a factor? I want to make sure they're including protections for your victimhood too.

Burn. roflmao

Maybe hall pass can include a stepstool or high heels for the urinal? monkey
Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by rice

So you think this is a good idea?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 09:02 PM

With all the resources at their disposal, there's absolutely no excuse to get below a 1300 (on 1600 scale) on the SAT.

If you have unlimited access to tutors, prep courses, study guides, and you STILL get an 1150, should you really be going somewhere even as prestigious as ASU?
Posted By: GDaddy

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 09:18 PM

They had to ramp things up because equal was obstructing their idea of equitable.
Posted By: FecalFace

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 09:50 PM

See, should have been aborted.
Posted By: 1whoknows

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:22 PM

I’m so glad the SAT people are doing this.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta

I didn't (and won't) read the details, but, sure.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:25 PM

I didn't (and won't) read the details, but, sure.

That's a really intelligent reply.

Glad you're interested in being an informed decisionmaker.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:25 PM

Thanks.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:28 PM

Thanks.

So you would be OK with your kids being put at a disadvantage in the college admissions process simply because they come from upper middle class Whitesville, CA?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:32 PM

Thanks.

So you would be OK with your kids being put at a disadvantage in the college admissions process simply because they come from upper middle class Whitesville, CA?

They already have an obvious advantage coming from "upper middle class Whitesville", with involved parents that love them and have pushed education and helped them from early on.

So, I think the thought is, that this new scoring would try to help level the playing field, for the kids that didn't/don't have that.

Sounds like a good idea, to me. shrug

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:40 PM

Thanks.

They already have an obvious advantage coming from "upper middle class Whitesville", with involved parents that love them and have pushed education and helped them from early on.

So, I think the thought is, that this new scoring would try to help level the playing field, for the kids that didn't/don't have that.

So natural advantage is now a problem?

And you think people coming from adverse environments don't have "involved parents that love them and have pushed education and helped them from early on"?

That's kinda bigoted.

Should we start doing IQ tests in attempt to "level the playing field" as well as high IQ individuals are obviously advantaged?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:43 PM

Should we start doing IQ tests in attempt to "level the playing field" as well as high IQ individuals are obviously advantaged?

LMAO. What do you think the SAT is?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:49 PM

Why is that funny?

SAT is a measurement of reading, writing , and math proficiency for college entrance. Nothing more.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:53 PM

High IQ isn't fair, just like being born into a low-crime stable environment isn't fair.

More like an unfair advantage.

We need to level the playing field.

Right?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 10:53 PM

Why is that funny?

SAT is a measurement of reading, writing , and math proficiency for college entrance. Nothing more.

"Furthermore, the SAT is largely a measure of general intelligence. Scores on the SAT correlate very highly with scores on standardized tests of intelligence, and like IQ scores, are stable across time and not easily increased through training, coaching or practice. SAT preparation courses appear to work, but the gains are small — on average, no more than about 20 points per section."

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordeba...tter/the-sat-is-a-good-intelligence-test

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kento

With all the resources at their disposal, there's absolutely no excuse to get below a 1300 (on 1600 scale) on the SAT.

If you have unlimited access to tutors, prep courses, study guides, and you STILL get an 1150, should you really be going somewhere even as prestigious as ASU?

Who has any of that stuff?

Your soon-to-be college kids are the exact ones who will be affected negatively by this

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:15 PM

Thanks.

Wow. Pure bigotry

And where you live is 100% upper class when based on any scale, even within California.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:19 PM

High IQ isn't fair, just like being born into a low-crime stable environment isn't fair.

Right?

What a fvcking moron.

Nobody is saying that.

IQ =\= priviledge

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by FecalFace

Right?

What a fvcking moron.

Nobody is saying that.

IQ =\= priviledge

Yeah, no one is saying that because it illustrates how insane it is to attempt equity as opposed to equal opportunity.

The only fair way to do anything since life is unfair is pure meritocracy

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:23 PM

This is 100% about equal opportunity. Try to ignore your feelings for a moment.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by ifallalot
Thanks.

Wow. Pure bigotry

And where you live is 100% upper class when based on any scale, even within California.

I’m not sure why rice or anyone else would entertain your offensive ideas and presentation. Rice’s honesty about his good fortune in life is refreshing and sincere.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:28 PM

It is the absolute opposite of equal opportunity.

It is purposefully denying equal access to certain people because of their demographics

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:28 PM

It is purposefully denying equal access to certain people because of their demographics

I am sure that you feel that way.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:29 PM

Here's our resident lefties

[Linked Image]

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:30 PM

He knows his kids will be negatively effected and he accepts it.

Farmers in Missouri are saying that they know they’ll be negatively effected by the trade war/tariff war with China, but they accept it. They’ve been told to trust trump to level the playing field. Maybe rice is like a missouri farmer.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:30 PM

It has nothing to do with feelings and everything to do with objective truth

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:32 PM

I bet

Look, I do feel bad that life has made you such a victim, and I think we should factor that in for your kids too.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:33 PM

roflmao good one! Is that some kind of self parody?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:35 PM

Yeah because kids who were born poor don't deserve equal opportunity to succeed in life.

It's their own fault they chose loser parents and not good, rich parents like you picked.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:37 PM

Cheap and stupid. I'm glad you're admitting defeat here.

It's ok if you think that denying access to certain people in an attempt to create equity is well and good, but don't try and mask it

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:38 PM

It's ok if you think that denying access to certain people in an attempt to create equity is well and good, but don't try and mask it

LMAO. Who is denying access?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:39 PM

Yeah because kids who were born poor don't deserve equal opportunity to succeed in life.

It's their own fault they chose loser parents and not good, rich parents like you picked.

Poor kids already have equal opportunity. And taking away opportunity from others is the opposite of equality.

Rich parents roflmao roflmao roflmao

You're on a roll today

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:42 PM

Did you read the article? Hell, you don't even need to read the article, you only need to read the title.

Giving someone preference because of their demographics is denying someone else the same opportunity simply because of their demographics. Even someone who otherwise earned a better score and therefore has more merit.

Definitive bigotry

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:44 PM

Poor kids already have equal opportunity. And taking away opportunity from others is the opposite of equality.

Once again, facts don't care about your feelings lol

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/study-violence-schools-zuckerberg-money-school-donation

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:48 PM

Did you read the article? Hell, you don't even need to read the article, you only need to read the title.

Giving someone preference because of their demographics is denying someone else the same opportunity simply because of their demographics. Even someone who otherwise earned a better score and therefore has more merit.

Definitive bigotry

Oh boy foreheadslap

The full story you posted is behind a paywall, but I've read others. This is an attempt to provide context around a test score that is an imperfect measurement for a variety of reasons. Admissions offices can choose whether or not they care to use it as a factor in their process.

Edit to ask: Why do you hate the rural poor and children of American service members SO much? monkey

"There is talent and potential waiting to be discovered in every community -- the children of poor rural families, kids navigating the challenges of life in the inner city, and military dependents who face the daily difficulties of low income and frequent deployments as part of their family's service to our country," David Coleman, chief executive officer of the College Board said in a statement sent to CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/us/sat-adversity-score/index.html

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:56 PM

Who has any of that stuff?

I did. Well, I didn't have a tutor but the high school (consistently ranked in the top 10 nationally) I went to had all of that and there were many who utilized those perks. Summer study courses and I had a lot of study guides. Paid off very well in my opinion.

I also absolutely do not take it for granted. I had a lot of advantages and I utilized them. Which is also why I do understand that people going to a minimally-funded public high school with parents who are working multiple jobs do not have the time or resources to compete on that playing field.

I would all but guarantee that a kid getting a 1000 out of the latter environment would have a higher chance of success in college and in life (trustafarians and riding of coattails not a success in my opinion) due to being hungry to make something of themselves and escape their environment than an Olivia who got the same score slacking their way through a prestigious environment. That being said, the slackers in my high school got weeded out very early on.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/16/19 11:57 PM

Thanks.

Wow. Pure bigotry

You don't really know what upper class truly is then. socrazy
Posted By: BillyOcean

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:24 AM

I don’t have a problem with this

SAT is mad correlated to income

When I took it, I didn’t even know there was such a thing as prep classes

When I arrived at my university, it was quite bizarre to me how there was such a track to get there

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:31 AM

Definitive bigotry

You’re way off bro

I don’t blame parents for giving their kids every advantage, but there is a total track

There are barely any kids at top schools from poor backgrounds
Posted By: Autoprax

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:39 AM

A poor smart Mexican with a good work ethic is going to be fine at a state college.

I don't get the hype about top tier schools.

I checked out the writing program at Harvard and I was not impressed.

It was process learning with small classroom size and two TAs.

I thought it was going to be some magical thing.

People get fooled by the romantic notion of college.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by 1whoknows
He knows his kids will be negatively effected and he accepts it.

Didn't he post his kids already get into (state) college?

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly I dunno.

Isn't the CA state uni system entirely merit based?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:41 AM

I bet

Look, I do feel bad that life has made you such a victim, and I think we should factor that in for your kids too.

I respect your opinions because I feel you are generally pretty honest and objective.

But your framing is being a bit dishonest here.

You're smarter than this.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by BillyOcean

Definitive bigotry

You’re way off bro

I don’t blame parents for giving their kids every advantage, but there is a total track

Very true.

I was one of the poorest kids in my high school (although not poor in the slightest). Had to do everything on my own merits - no bribery/donations. And mind you, the private elementary schools (one of which was a feeder to my high school) have insane waiting lists (5 years+ at times; yes, basically getting on the list before the kids are born) and people bribing the crap out of them to get their kids in there. Which is why I have a gigantic chip on my shoulder towards anyone who tries to pay and bribe their way into school and through life.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:44 AM

Definitive bigotry

You’re way off bro

So the solution is to replace some of the current batch of unprepareds with a selection of even-more-unprepareds?

People don't choose to have involved parents or be born with some degree of advantage.

It's an act of randomness, like most of life.

Same as being born with a high IQ. Your genes choose it to the greatest degree.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:45 AM

So the solution is to replace some of the current batch of unprepareds with a selection of even-more-unprepareds?

This is some next level not getting it.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:48 AM

Definitive bigotry

You’re way off bro

Very true.

I was one of the poorest kids in my high school (although not poor in the slightest). Had to do everything on my own merits - no bribery/donations. And mind you, the private elementary schools (one of which was a feeder to my high school) have insane waiting lists (5 years+ at times; yes, basically getting on the list before the kids are born) and people bribing the crap out of them to get their kids in there. Which is why I have a gigantic chip on my shoulder towards anyone who tries to pay and bribe their way into school and through life.

Yes, it starts in kindergarten, literally

I have friends in NYC who just got their daughter into Spence for kindergarten

This is the track

She will go there through high school and end up at an ivy, or if she really goes off the rails, something like Colgate

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 12:52 AM

Definitive bigotry

You’re way off bro

People don't choose to have involved parents or be born with some degree of advantage.

It's an act of randomness, like most of life.

Same as being born with a high IQ. Your genes choose it to the greatest degree.

Think about it like this

Does a kid who gets low 1400s on the SAT who has had no preparation or coaching have more aptitude than a kid who has been prepped his whole life and gets upper 1400s?

I think this is a pretty easy answer

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 01:03 AM

You’re way off bro

Very true.

Yes, it starts in kindergarten, literally

I have friends in NYC who just got their daughter into Spence for kindergarten

This is the track

She will go there through high school and end up at an ivy, or if she really goes off the rails, something like Colgate

Yep. The track starts really early on. And in the well-off areas, the status-consciousness starts in Kindergarten. I went to a small private nature-oriented school in Topanga for elementary and was out of that sphere. My parents gave f*ck-one about all the status seeking and social climbing.

High school was tough. Insane pressure and workload. But the bright side was that college was a complete cakewalk by comparison and, as a result, I didn't really apply myself as strongly as I could have, especially after freshman year. I did go to the library a couple times, though. roflmao

And holy fook, just looked it up - tuition at my high school is now up to $36K. shocked2 But yeah, you pay along those lines, you better believe there is massive pressure on all sides to get into a top-tier university. crazy2
Posted By: bigsurfer67

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 02:24 AM

Won't adversely affect the wealthy. However, the lower middle class underrepresented at college in a BIG way. Should help level the playing field just a little. Some colleges have more students in the TOP 1% than the BOTTOM 60% which is beyond skewed for the uber wealthy.
Posted By: Duffy

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 02:50 AM

me too.

Because this will end the use of the SAT for college admissions.

Either standardized tests will done away with all together or a competing test that is a more objective measure of likelihood to succeed in college will take it’s place.

This is the final nail in the coffin for the SAT.
Posted By: Duffy

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 02:52 AM

Think about it like this

Does a kid who gets low 1400s on the SAT who has had no preparation or coaching have more aptitude than a kid who has been prepped his whole life and gets upper 1400s?

I think this is a pretty easy answer

And how is it determined that one kid got prep and coaching and one kid didn’t?
Posted By: drunjk

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 02:57 AM

you're either born rich or cunning, or to serve the rich and cunning. everything else is just words people have invented to describe the process in a convoluted manner which inadvertently facilitates it's continuation

that's true and not true, with or without the words it would continue the same

MAYBE EDITED
Posted By: Phi1

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 02:58 AM

Thanks.

Agreed. I don't see this as being much different than scholarship opportunities for minorities or lower-middle class / poor. Why not try to help people succeed that are statistically the most disadvantaged?

Besides, aren't these Ivy League schools full of liberal professors looking to brainwash impressionable youth? roflmao

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Duffy

me too.

Because this will end the use of the SAT for college admissions.

Either standardized tests will done away with all together or a competing test that is a more objective measure of likelihood to succeed in college will take it’s place.

This is the final nail in the coffin for the SAT.

Would love to hear the explanation for this galaxy brain level take.
Posted By: tHe rAt

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:37 AM

Do you hear that sound?

Why, I believe that is the sound the birth of another hundred thousand white millennial male Neo-Nazis makes.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Duffy

And how is it determined that one kid got prep and coaching and one kid didn’t?

exactly

privileged/unprivileged by default

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by tHe rAt
Do you hear that sound?

Why, I believe that is the sound the birth of another hundred thousand white millennial male Neo-Nazis makes.

Right. How DARE the College Board attempt to address the systemic inefficiencies of the SAT and improve outcomes for the less fortunate without changing anything about the test's scoring system? This is going to turn good boys into nazis for sure. It's a totally reasonable response to a standardized testing behemoth... attempting to increase opportunity for those less fortunate regardless of race.

Probably makes sense in Ventura. shrug

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:56 AM

USA! USA! THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITY AND FREEDOM

Unless you are one of those stupid fetuses who choose wrong parents, race and geographical location.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:59 AM

Do you hear that sound?

Right. How DARE the College Board attempt to address the systemic inefficiencies of the SAT and improve outcomes for the less fortunate without changing anything about the test's scoring system? This is going to turn good boys into nazis for sure. It's a totally reasonable response to a standardized testing behemoth... attempting to increase opportunity for those less fortunate regardless of race.

Probably makes sense in Ventura. shrug

You're running off on a tangent with what you think I may have meant. Really you're creating a dialogue in your head which is entirely of your own making and bears no resemblance to anything I wrote/thought. You're in effect having a debate with yourself. Have you noticed the age demographic of a lot of this neo Nazi BS? Young white males. Why is this happening? If you had told me 20 years ago this was going to be occurring in this country I would have laughed at you, as would a lot of people. Think about it before you respond knee-jerk fashion.

I'm not saying this is an incorrect action re the SAT. I'm just observing a trend from the sidelines that I think is worthy of consideration or evaluation. You push on any group and a certain number are going to rebel and go the other way. "White" is frequently used as an epithet these last few years. The erBB is a great example of such but it can be observed everywhere really. It's become common in the MSM. Action, reaction. Reality seems at least worthy of acknowledgement.

I'm not sure what Ventura has to do with anything here, maybe Charlottesville would be more appropriate? But regardless, back to debating with your fantasy strawman.

And unlike most of the rest of you, I don't think I have all the answers or the fixes. But we're never going to get anywhere if we can't objectively look at the environment.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:02 AM

I'm not saying this is an incorrect action re the SAT. I'm just observing a trend from the sidelines that I think is worthy of consideration or evaluation. You push on any group and a certain number are going to rebel and go the other way. "White" is frequently used as an epithet these last few years.

What I'm saying is this is straight up idiotic on the part of the young white men turning nazi and we shouldn't hamstring progress as a response to their irrational behavior.

Read the articles about this. There's nothing about race here. If anything, this should be the perfect response to systemic inequality for the "it's economic, not racial" crowd.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:14 AM

Again, I'm not saying that it isn't idiotic. poke

I'm just saying it's happening. We ignore that at our own peril. Trying to understand why things are happening seems like a relevant concern. If you have alternative explanations re the cause of this, by all means, enlighten us. I'm more than willing to listen.

I'd have told you a few years ago that the prospect of Roe vs Wade being realistically challenged was never going to happen in this country. Just like I would have told you the same re any kind of significant neo-Nazi movement emergence.

WTF, I mean, "Why is this happening?" seems like a worthy question, no?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:18 AM

In a speech in Green Bay, Trump stated, “The baby is born. The mother meets with the doctor. They take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully. And then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby.”

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:20 AM

Again, I'm not saying that it isn't idiotic. poke

I'm just saying it's happening. We ignore that at our own peril. Trying to understand why things are happening seems like a relevant concern. If you have alternative explanations re the cause of this, by all means, enlighten us. I'm more than willing to listen.

I'd have told you a few years ago that the prospect of Roe vs Wade being realistically challenged was never going to happen in this country. Just like I would have told you the same re any kind of significant neo-Nazi movement emergence.

WTF, I mean, "Why is this happening?" seems like a worthy question, no?

I do think that's a reasonable question, and I apologize that I didn't get that that was what you meant to imply in your original post.

My best explanation for the nazi thing is cultural rot/the decline of local community mixed with the rise of online extremism mixed with this country's complex cultural legacy of racism. Seems right to me, but I don't know the people turning nazi, so maybe I'm off.

A few years ago I'd have told you that you were being pretty naive re: Roe v Wade though. We've been on a long, steady march toward this for a while.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:21 AM

In a speech in Green Bay, Trump stated, “The baby is born. The mother meets with the doctor. They take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully. And then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby.”

Holy mother of God what in the actual fvck
Posted By: hammies

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:03 AM

This is bullshit. College admissions officers know all that stuff anyway, they have your financial records, essays, high school demographic data, the works. Publicity stunt by the College Board.
Posted By: grapedrink

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:47 AM

Alex Jones said on Joe Rogan that the same quote came from the Virginia politician who got flamed for the black face shrug Which I realize is not the most accurate source, but I don't think that came from Trump shrug

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by grapedrink

Alex Jones said on Joe Rogan that the same quote came from the Virginia politician who got flamed for the black face shrug Which I realize is not the most accurate source, but I don't think that came from Trump shrug

There's video, but anytime you can take Alex Jones' word for it you've got to. I get it monkey

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:01 AM

^^^^ Like I said, I take Alex Jones with a heap of salt. Seems that AJ was paraphrasing Trump's paraphrasing of the Virginia poltiician shrug

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:14 AM

^^^^ Like I said, I take Alex Jones with a heap of salt. Seems that AJ was paraphrasing Trump's paraphrasing of the Virginia poltiician shrug

But is it paraphrasing if you're completely misrepresenting what was said? (Trump, not Jones.)

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:22 AM

But is it paraphrasing if you're completely misrepresenting what was said? (Trump, not Jones.)

In Trump and Alex Jones speak, yes roflmao Real speak, no.
Either way, Trump's base eats up the bafoonery whether they realize it is true or not. GromsDad is a perfect example toilet

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:11 PM

That's 100% true. I remember when my son was born the doctor handed me scissors and a scalpel and said "OK, time to cut the umbilical cord or... (Makes slicing motion under his chin)"

So glad I made the right choice.

crazy2

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Phi1

That's 100% true. I remember when my son was born the doctor handed me scissors and a scalpel and said "OK, time to cut the umbilical cord or... (Makes slicing motion under his chin)"

So glad I made the right choice.

crazy2

Seriously. roflmao

Good litmus test though. Anyone who actually believes what Trump said right there should be sterilized so as not to pass on concentrated stupid genes (you'd have to imagine their spouse is equally dumb). crazy2
Posted By: afoaf

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:27 PM

I feel like someone who actually felt that way would be a bit better at hashtags.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:30 PM

Trump didn't just haul off and fabricate the situation out of thin air.

Vox: The controversy around Virginia’s new abortion bill, explained

Gov. Northam, a Democrat, was asked about the bill in a radio interview on Wednesday, and his response only added to the controversy. Appearing to discuss what would happen if a child was born after a failed attempt at abortion, he said, “the infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

The controversy centers on the Virginia bill’s provisions for third-trimester abortions
Kathy Tran, a Democrat, was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates in 2017, one of a record 28 women chosen for the legislative chamber that year. She introduced HB 2491 earlier this year, and in a committee hearing on Monday, she was questioned about the bill by fellow delegate Todd Gilbert, a Republican.

“How late in the third trimester could a physician perform an abortion if he indicated it would impair the mental health of the woman?” Gilbert asked.

“Through the third trimester,” Tran responded. “The third trimester goes all the way up to 40 weeks.”

“Where it’s obvious that a woman is about to give birth,” Gilbert then asked, “would that still be a point at which she could request an abortion if she was so certified? She’s dilating.”

“My bill would allow that,” Tran said.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 03:54 PM

You'd need to find a doctor willing to commit infanticide for that scenario to play out. Could you imagine the Yelp reviews?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Phi1
You'd need to find a doctor willing to commit infanticide for that scenario to play out. Could you imagine the Yelp reviews?

Before frequent ultrasounds, it was often a mystery what you were going to get. Some older family friends had to euthanize at birth due to some pretty massive defects. I never got full details but the words "skinless horror" were used. shrug

This was many decades ago though.

I would bet that in strong Trumpian rural areas, there is a bare minimum of prenatal care and amniocentesis is not in their vocabulary (which is why they don't comprehend a 2nd trimester abortion). That is when you discover some of these genetic defects that will make the remainder of the pregnancy a waste of time. And that's at about 16-22 weeks.

As far as late-term abortions, who would want to go through the morning sickness, bloating, fatigue, etc. only to have an abortion at the end? Doesn't make sense unless one considers that significant problems were identified on a series of ultrasounds at that time.

And speaking of all the shit pregnant women deal with, I think it's cruel as hell for a rape or incest victim to go through all of that. It's like letting OJ deliver the eulogy for Ron Goldman.

This will make ifallalot's head explode but I read somewhere about a childbirth simulator for men. I like the idea of the Alabama Senate being hooked up to one for 25 hours. cookin

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:44 PM

https://www.thecut.com/2019/02/the-false-outrage-over-kathy-trans-infanticide-bill.html

To hear Republicans talk about it, you’d think women drag out their pregnancies, wantonly waiting to abort until the contractions set in merely for the fun of it. This is, as my colleague Sarah Jones wrote, “the stuff of pulp fiction, and the myth bears little resemblance to reality.” Here’s what’s real: The same people who are hand-wringing over imaginary infanticide are right now, in a very real way, fighting for policies that increase the number of later abortions, and that for some women, amount to a ban on abortion at all stages of pregnancy. If they succeed, they can thank Brett Kavanaugh.

So what do clinic regulations in Louisiana and Texas have to do with later abortions? Well, the first year the Texas law was in effect, state statistics showed that abortions after 12 weeks went up 27 percent. In other words, a supposedly pro-life law caused more of the later procedures that the movement says it decries. That’s unsurprising if you have any notion of why people get abortions later in pregnancy. Sometimes it’s the sort of heartbreaking tragedy politicians turn to: a life-threatening condition for mother or fetus, a teenager pregnant as the result of rape. But sometimes, a later abortion is a choice. More often than not, that choice is made by a politician or a judge.

Comb the research on later abortions and you’ll see that many of the reasons for having later abortions — not knowing you’re pregnant because you don’t have access to sex ed or a regular checkup, saving up to pay for an abortion your insurance doesn’t cover only to see the price rise as your pregnancy wears on, not having access to effective and affordable birth control — are public policy choices someone else made. It was Republicans who chose to portray expanding access to birth control, a pretty damn effective way to reduce unwanted pregnancies, as forcing nuns to provide abortions. It was Republicans whose policy priorities have helped the number of abortion clinics decline 7 percent between 2008 and 2014, making people have to travel that much further. And of course, it’s Republicans who have Democrats contorting over edge-case hypotheticals when real, living children are dying in U.S. custody.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:44 PM

Only hippie anit-vaxxer martyr women go through birth without an epidural

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:46 PM

let's talk about doulas...

home birth

no epidural

oy vey
Posted By: ElOgro

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:57 PM

Not uncommon in rural areas here. Out in the sticks they still use “parteras” (midwives).

Builds strong character.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by afoaf

let's talk about doulas...

home birth

no epidural

oy vey

The worst

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:00 PM

Crockery

https://www.babyprepping.com/birth/orgasmic-birth-real-one/
Posted By: Mr Doof

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:09 PM

I am often wrong, but it seems to me that part of the goal of this is to get those who do their best and really strive should get a shot at the big league rather than just let $ do the heavy lifting.

So perhaps this is rewarding the less purely academically prepared but more mentally resolute.....sometimes it isn't just being "smart" than wins the race but determination and willingness to put in the grunt work.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Doof

I am often wrong, but it seems to me that part of the goal of this is to get those who do their best and really strive should get a shot at the big league rather than just let $ do the heavy lifting.

So perhaps this is rewarding the less purely academically prepared but more mentally resolute.....sometimes it isn't just being "smart" than wins the race but determination and willingness to put in the grunt work.

It is overriding merit with demographics. That is inherently and morally wrong.
Posted By: mundus

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:25 PM

It is overriding merit with demographics. That is inherently and morally wrong.

After the college bribery scandal by the super rich, how can you say this with a straight face? Gee, how did Kushner get into Harvard, daddy's massive donations had nothing to with it, right?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:28 PM

Was anyone surprised by the bribery whatsoever? That's how the world works, and has always worked

But this debate is neither here nor there

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:31 PM

Was anyone surprised by the bribery whatsoever? That's how the world works, and has always worked

Would not rich people bribing colleges to let their unqualified kids into top schools be "demographics over merit"?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by mundus

Would not rich people bribing colleges to let their unqualified kids into top schools be "demographics over merit"?

Actually its money over merit. It is also wrong, and has nothing to do with this situation.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:35 PM

Then there's Quagmire's mom who was such a slut she gave birth to him 9 times. drowning

But seriously, nobody is going to go through 5, let alone the whole 9 months of pregnancy just to abort at the end without a damn good reason.

As far as birth control, condoms break. Far more than they should. And birth control pills are hardly foolproof. Maybe Rick Warren is on to something. Although I'd imagine the AIDS and E. Coli rate is pretty high. toilet

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:35 PM

Actually its money over merit. It is also wrong, and has nothing to do with this situation.

Wealth level is part of demographics, genius.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:40 PM

That bribery situation is obviously unfair and wholly unacceptable and we should have directly addressed it many years ago. Those accused of that bribery are being criminally prosecuted. I don't see anyone complaining about that criminal prosecution being unfair or too harsh.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:41 PM

It can't be just athletes majoring in Communications and Sociology. Or better yet, Anthropology, the landing spot of failed business majors. monkey

Although if you're spending all that money for your foie gras-nursed crotch goblins to major in anything that useless (and trust me, they're not getting PhDs), why even bother?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by GDaddy
That bribery situation is obviously unfair and wholly unacceptable and we should have directly addressed it many years ago. Those accused of that bribery are being criminally prosecuted. I don't see anyone complaining about that criminal prosecution being unfair or too harsh.

They're all going to skate because they're rich. That's the other side of that BS situation. And even if they went to jail, it wouldn't be to Fistemtotheelbow Women's Prison but some country club one where they play shuffleboard and polo.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:47 PM

How about legacy admissions? It is pretty telling the only time the usual suspects get riled is when poor minorities get a shot.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:48 PM

They're all going to skate because they're rich. That's the other side of that BS situation. And even if they went to jail, it wouldn't be to Fistemtotheelbow Women's Prison but some country club one where they play shuffleboard and polo.

Not so sure about Aunt Becky, she tried to play hard ball and they might make an example out of her.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:55 PM

How about legacy admissions? It is pretty telling the only time the usual suspects get riled is when poor minorities get a shot.

I've said before that I think they should throw the book at Aunt Becky. And prolly the kid, too. And I would LOVE to see legacy admissions legally outlawed because that's BS, too.

As far as ERbb attitudes towards rich people go i doubt you're going to find anyone here who actually likes them or advocates for their interests. At most, some us might tolerate them but most of us have at least a little contempt for them.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:56 PM

Hey dipshit, have you realized I've been agreeing with you for the whole bribery thing?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:57 PM

Hey dipshit, have you realized I've been agreeing with you for the whole bribery thing?

So dumb,

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:58 PM

Legacy admissions are also bullshit

Do you have any other failed gotchas to make?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 05:59 PM

That is morally wrong.

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

White Knighting for the rich and priviledged is the best.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:00 PM

That is morally wrong.

And you have the gall to believe that you know what equality is

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:00 PM

Legacy admissions are also bullshit

Do you have any other failed gotchas to make?

Your entire existence here is a failed gotcha, you are just too stupid to realize it,

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:01 PM

Resorting to I know you are but what am I?

You're being even more successful than usual this morning

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:06 PM

Real question ifall - would you consider a college that bases its admissions decisions solely on SAT score to be employing a merit-based system?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:09 PM

That is morally wrong.

Talking about not understanding wtf "special treatment" is.

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

LEAVE RICH PEOPLES ALONE bawling

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:12 PM

Who thinks that Trump would get into Wharton if he was a black guy from Bronx and didn't have a rich daddy?

lol

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:14 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:25 PM

Real question ifall - would you consider a college that bases its admissions decisions solely on SAT score to be employing a merit-based system?

Yes.

That is morally wrong.

This is the definition of special treatment in lieu of actual equality

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:26 PM

Much more than adding demographics into the equation. Demographics are uncontrollable, test scores are

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:31 PM

Much more than adding demographics into the equation. Demographics are uncontrollable, test scores are

Hmmm... you're planning to control your children's demographics by moving to an inland area presumably where they'll be in a good school district. You'll also likely save money on your mortgage allowing you some additional money to help them with tutors if that's appropriate. You've got control over both.

People who are less fortunate than you may lack the resources to control either.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:35 PM

Hmmm... you're planning to control your children's demographics by moving to an inland area presumably where they'll be in a good school district. You'll also likely save money on your mortgage allowing you some additional money to help them with tutors if that's appropriate. You've got control over both.

People who are less fortunate than you may lack the resources to control either.

Or I could be selfish and not do any tutoring for them nor GAF about their lives. Then they would get a better score that they earned themselves negated by the fact that they just happened to be born to parents of a certain race who make a certain amount of money.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:37 PM

Or I could be selfish and not do any tutoring for them nor GAF about their lives. Then they would get a better score that they earned themselves negated by the fact that they just happened to be born to parents of a certain race who make a certain amount of money.

I don't think you read your own article. Demographics do not change the test results. It also doesn't factor in race or how much an individual's parents make.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:39 PM

Undeserving rich kids getting into college, oh well it happens. Minorities with slightly lower test scores, now that's an outrage! Does your back get tired carrying water for the ruling class?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:45 PM

Shit. You really have assimilated to Orange County! wink2

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:46 PM

I don't think you read your own article. Demographics do not change the test results. It also doesn't factor in race or how much an individual's parents make.

Each of the three categories has five sub-indicators that are indexed in calculating each student's adversity score. Neighborhood environment will take into account crime rate, poverty rate, housing values and vacancy rate. Family environment will assess what the median income is of where the student's family is from; whether the student is from a single parent household; the educational level of the parents; and whether English is a second language

Those are all demographics. Poverty rate, housing values, and median income are directly tied with parental income. The ESL factor also is partially racially based, and if we're going to play the game here, also unfair to blacks. This is simply a rabbit hole that creates an unlevel playing field in trying to create a level playing field. The intentions are good, but you know how the old saying goes- "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Simple will always be more fair.

Undeserving rich kids getting into college, oh well it happens. Minorities with slightly lower test scores, now that's an outrage! Does your back get tired carrying water for the ruling class?

More mischaracterizing nonsense

Try and keep up

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:46 PM

roflmao

My son is going to do a megachurch-based baseball camp this summer. I thought that was pretty Orange County in itself

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:47 PM

Each of the three categories has five sub-indicators that are indexed in calculating each student's adversity score. Neighborhood environment will take into account crime rate, poverty rate, housing values and vacancy rate. Family environment will assess what the median income is of where the student's family is from; whether the student is from a single parent household; the educational level of the parents; and whether English is a second language

Those are all demographics. Poverty rate, housing values, and median income are directly tied with parental income. The ESL factor also is partially racially based, and if we're going to play the game here, also unfair to blacks. This is simply a rabbit hole that creates an unlevel playing field in trying to create a level playing field. The intentions are good, but you know how the old saying goes- "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Simple will always be more fair.

Yes, those are demographics, but they only factor into the adversity score which a college can ignore if it wishes. No impact on test score.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:49 PM

[quote=bird.]Real question ifall - would you consider a college that bases its admissions decisions solely on SAT score to be employing a merit-based system?

More mischaracterizing nonsense

Try and keep up[/quote]
Man, Dunning-Kruger is a hell of a thing. Still think wealth level is not part of demographics?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:50 PM

Yes, I realize that, but given the current zeitgeist in colleges do you think any will actually ignore them?

Now I don't know how the SAT company works, but don't you think they're doing this for their customers?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:52 PM

You're even spergier than FF.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:53 PM

You are just as dumb as Gromsdad.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:53 PM

Yes.

That is morally wrong.

This is the definition of special treatment in lieu of actual equality

Actual equality is to have one set of rules for the rich and one for the poor?

Is this that game you play where you claim that words have the opposite meaning from their actual meaning?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:55 PM

You are just as dumb as Gromsdad.

You know you struck a nerve when they start calling you autistic as an insult.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:56 PM

Yes, I realize that, but given the current zeitgeist in colleges do you think any will actually ignore them?

Now I don't know how the SAT company works, but don't you think they're doing this for their customers?

Obviously I am fine with colleges not ignoring them.

The College Board doing it to save their business in the long term as there's been a lot of press about how SAT scores are an imperfect tool for admissions.

Why do you hate the free market so much?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:58 PM

The College Board doing it to save their business in the long term as there's been a lot of press about how SAT scores are an imperfect tool for admissions.

So take something that's already imperfect due to certain people being good test takers and turn it into a dumpster fire?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:58 PM

Move to Victorville and your kid can go to Harvard

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 06:59 PM

Actual equality is to have one set of rules for the rich and one for the poor?

Is this that game you play where you claim that words have the opposite meaning from their actual meaning?

This adversity score is doing exactly that. You should be against it

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 07:00 PM

So take something that's already imperfect due to certain people being good test takers and turn it into a dumpster fire?

I disagree that this is turning anything into a dumpster fire. Obviously.

(And the imperfect nature of it is not due to certain people being good test takers. You've got very strong opinions for someone who doesn't know much.)

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 07:13 PM

Your soon-to-be college kids are the exact ones who will be affected negatively by this

One just went through process, and is accepted to the college she wanted. All good, thanks.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 07:14 PM

Okay.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 07:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Holy crap.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 07:18 PM

roflmao

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 07:26 PM

Or I could be selfish and not do any tutoring for them nor GAF about their lives. Then they would get a better score

What are you talking about? roflmao foreheadslap

I'm starting to become convinced you are joking.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 07:26 PM

[Linked Image]

Holy crap.

Only the pussiest of pussies would either post that meme or even take it's sentiments remotely seriously. You could dress up as a Georgia O'Keefe painting and you still wouldn't look as much like a pussy.

"Oh I am so oppressed! Black people said I can't dance. Cat-women with 15 pussy tails stuffed up their snatch made me feel oppressed by being a subtle oppressor!"

I'm dying. roflmao

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 07:27 PM

roflmao

My son is going to do a megachurch-based baseball camp this summer. I thought that was pretty Orange County in itself

Not yet. Switch from baseball to lacrosse.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 09:55 PM

One just went through process, and is accepted to the college she wanted. All good, thanks.

Did her essay on growing up the daughter of a surfing father help get the pity vote from the admissions committee? (Essays are part the the SAT now-a-days, right?) laugh

Lame joke aside, congrats on getting one half-way out the door and on to the next stage of life.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 09:56 PM

Did her essay on growing up the daughter of a surfing father help get the pity vote from the admissions committee? (Essays are part the the SAT now-a-days, right?) laugh

Lame joke aside, congrats on getting one half-way out the door and on to the next stage of life.

+1 that's a big accomplishment

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 10:02 PM

Okay.

UTM coordinates 593833.55 m E by 4047405.77 m N (region 10) is upper class.

UTM coordinates 693943.97 m E by 3919963.25 m N (region 10) is middle class.

Huge, way huge, world of difference.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 10:02 PM

Thanks. No, but essays are a huge part of the UC application process.

She did not think to use the surf daughter pity angle. foreheadslap
Posted By: the janitor

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/17/19 11:45 PM

Having a surfing parent has to count for something on that adversity score matrix roflmao

+1 on congrats for the college acceptance applause

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 01:40 PM

Or I could be selfish and not do any tutoring for them nor GAF about their lives. Then they would get a better score

Why don't you read the whole post, in context, instead of picking out two separate sentences.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 01:42 PM

Yeah, because this process hasn't started yet.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 01:44 PM

roflmao

Your tears are delicious.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 01:56 PM

Nice retort

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:01 PM

Your kid can just go to a CC, living at home, and then transfer to a state college.

If money is an issue, that is the only way to do to college.

People a fvcking nuts when it comes to college.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Autoprax
Your kid can just go to a CC, living at home, and then transfer to a state college.

If money is an issue, that is the only way to do to college.

People a fvcking nuts when it comes to college.

I would have been better at school and less in debt if I did the CC-UC route as opposed to fooking off at a state college for 5 years

However it all worked out in the end so que sera sera

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:14 PM

Nice retort

You didn't say anything of any substance so there's nothing to retort.

Mainly just white knighting for rich people for being "morally" wronged. roflmao

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:21 PM

Nice retort

Mainly just white knighting for rich people for being "morally" wronged. roflmao

For someone who professes to fight for equality you have zero idea what equality actually is

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:25 PM

Nice retort

For someone who professes to fight for equality you have zero idea what equality actually is

Right, because it's the rich and privileged who are unequal.

When people who are actually wronged seek equality, it's "special treatment".

And it's pretty comical for you to talk about any kind of morality. Sheesh.

You are completely devoid of both morality and any sense of ethics.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:28 PM

Nice retort

Holy shit. You have it completely backwards, just like usual.

Equality doesn't come from seeking remedies for past "wrongs," equality is equal treatment of everyone, regardless of background. People seeking remedies that creates other inequalities is absolutely special treatment. I have no idea why this is so hard for you to understand

Equity of outcome is not equality.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:36 PM

Nice retort

Holy shit. You have it completely backwards, just like usual.

Equality doesn't come from seeking remedies for past "wrongs," equality is equal treatment of everyone, regardless of background. People seeking remedies that creates other inequalities is absolutely special treatment. I have no idea why this is so hard for you to understand

Equity of outcome is not equality.

"Past wrongs" implies that racism, sexism or xenophobia don't exist in this country.

That very easily disproved.

Saying equality is "special treatment" in those cases but crying about rich and privileged being "morally wronged" is comical and offensive.

You are the worst kind of SJW.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:54 PM

"Past wrongs" implies that racism, sexism or xenophobia don't exist in this country.

Saying equality is "special treatment" in those cases but crying about rich and privileged being "morally wronged" is comical and offensive.

You seriously don't get it

So to "fix" racism, sexism, and xenophobia, you propose to fight it with more racism, sexism, and xenophobia?

Special treatment is not equality. Equality requires both the positive and negative sides of the ledger. The "rich and privileged" are subject to the same morality as everyone else, despite your jealousy

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 02:57 PM

Equal treatment is a barrier to the equal outcomes, which is why they don't seek equal and instead are seeking equity. It is the search for equity that is used to rationalize disparate treatment.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 03:04 PM

You seriously don't get it

So to "fix" racism, sexism, and xenophobia, you propose to fight it with more racism, sexism, and xenophobia?

What?

Seriously WTF are you talking about? Who ever said anything like that?

Special treatment is not equality. Equality requires both the positive and negative sides of the ledger. The "rich and privileged" are subject to the same morality as everyone else, despite your jealousy

Nice straw man.

You keep talking about "special treatment" while completely ignoring the fact that inequality demonstrably exists.

"Rich people are subject to same morality", what morality?

You don't apply that same morality in any other case. Exactly the opposite.

I'm not "jealous" of the rich people, I just find it comical that that's who you choose to white knight for while ignoring the actual inequality.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 03:08 PM

Unequal outcomes exist among adult siblings (as just one example). That doesn't mean they were ever treated unequally or that treating the less successful one more favorably from here on out will make their outcome equal to the more successful one.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 03:11 PM

Unequal outcomes exist among adult siblings (as just one example). That doesn't mean they were ever treated unequally or that treating the less successful one more favorably from here on out will make their outcome equal to the more successful one.

Nobody is calling for equal outcomes.

This is about equal opportunity.

It's not that hard.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 03:14 PM

Equal opportunity comes from equal treatment, not disparate treatment.

The whole pay-to-play college admissions bribery scandal is a crime precisely because the accused attempted to acquire the disparate treatment in order to compensate for the individual's inferior choices and performance. It's immoral for a parent to do that and it's equally immoral for the state or a college to do that.

Legacy admissions and politically-motivated biases are other examples of that disparate treatment and they've gotta go, too.

I DGAF if UCLA's entire class of 2025 is asian or any other group if that occurs as a result of their performance.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 03:21 PM

Nobody is calling for equal outcomes.

This is about equal opportunity.

It's not that hard.

And denying certain people opportunity because of things outside of their control is the exact opposite of equal opportunity.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 03:29 PM

Explain how is this denying opportunity.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 03:57 PM

“The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.”

Who is on this “College Board?” Must be a bunch of black single mothers from Compton, Baltimore, and Detroit. Nawimsayin?
Posted By: Moby_Dick

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 04:10 PM

There was a talking head on CNN this AM that was attempting to explain it.

A kid will get extra points if he comes from a shitty school. So the worse your school, the more points granted.

More points are also granted depending upon the economic state of the neighborhood your home address is located in. The worse/poorer the overall state of your zip code, the more points you get.

So if you were home schooled by your crack whore mother and your address was a '76 Chevy parked in the empty lot behind a burned out liquor store, you're going to Harvard.

Kidding. I kid. J/K.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 04:12 PM

You want to create access for talented poor kids to rise. It makes the country more robust.

That is all this is.

Of course the execution of the task is vulnerable to mismanagement.

But that is something that just needs to be addresses as it occurs.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 04:14 PM

College admissions is a fun head high point break discovered by suppers. They dominate the place. there are long boarders out there who snag some of the waves. It’s rippable on a short board, but shortboarders can’t get shit because the surfers with more foam sit further out and get all the set waves. A lot of the shortboarders rip way harder than the lots-of-foam crew, but they just get scraps. Eventually some of the suppers and long boarders said”you know, we’re totally hogging this point. We should let a few waves go to the shortboarders. Let some of the set waves go to the shortboarders.” Some of the suppers said, “Yeah, that’s cool.” But, some of the suppers, the more kooky ones, disagreed with the plan. They liked having the advantage, didn’t even care when the ran over a shortboarder. These selfish suppers were fvkcing kooks who could never ride a shortboard. When not looking out on their SUPs they localized the parking lot with their lifted 4x4s that never left the pavement.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 04:16 PM

I want the kids to succeed in whatever school they do make it into. A kid who might be in over their head at one school may end up being a standout at another school. A kid who washes out of a school because they weren't sufficiently competitive has not only taken the place of another applicant who might have been more competitive, but they also have the unnecessary negative experience when compared to what would have happened if they'd applied to a program that was a better match for their skills.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 05:16 PM

Explain how is this denying opportunity.

A child has no control where or who they are raised by. If there are two kids who get the same earned test score and the one with a higher "adversity score" gets the nod over the kid with the lower adversity score, the one with the lower adversity score was denied opportunity because of aspects out of their control

Its really simple

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 05:18 PM

What would you rather have lower adversity or a higher adversity score?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 05:18 PM

You want to create access for talented poor kids to rise. It makes the country more robust.

That is all this is.

Of course that's what this is, and it has good intentions behind it

Unfortunately, you cannot deny access to others due to reasons outside of their control and remain having any notions of equality.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 05:19 PM

What would you rather have lower adversity or a higher adversity score?

I don't know if its like a golf score or a baseball score

I'm guessing you get more points for more adversity, but it could be the opposite

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 08:45 PM

That is all this is.

Of course that's what this is, and it has good intentions behind it

Unfortunately, you cannot deny access to others due to reasons outside of their control and remain having any notions of equality.

Reason dictates that if you admit more smart poor kids, you won't be able to admit as many rich kids.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Nowhere does it say that stupid poor kids will have advantage over smart rich kids.

That's your projection.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 09:06 PM

If you are rich kid you just go to Pepperdine.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 10:00 PM

Why don't you read the whole post, in context, instead of picking out two separate sentences.

I did. roflmao

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 10:01 PM

Ah, I see. So our next kid is screwed? foreheadslap

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 10:50 PM

have they stated how this stuff gets weighted?

the devil is in the details....

on the one hand, the quality of education that certain regions and demographic cohorts
enjoy is grossly incomparable to others, but I'd rather see that remedied than the system
trying to make up for its shortcomings in the de facto ranking/scoring system used for
college admissions.

this is just wrapping shitty code in an eval() instead of just fixing the underlying code

poor form.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 10:51 PM

Somebody's kid is going to get penalized, even if it isn't your's. If there's a 5,000 student cap on a college's Fall 2020 enrollment then somebody's kid is going to rank 5000th on that list. All of the discretionary admittances that made it in despite having lower previous performance and/or test outcomes will have bypassed #5000 on that discretionary basis. If there are 500 such admittances then the number of the higher performing students who got the shaft will number 500. Not 1.

It was a marathon, but we adjusted the outcomes to move the winner forward from their 6th place finish to become the winner because they have a lower testosterone count and were therefore performing at a disadvantage. Because in terms of equity calling first person to cross the line the winner is discriminatory and oppressive.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 11:02 PM

Schools in Asia operate on a competitive basis that dwarfs what happens in the college admittance programs here in the U.S..

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 11:08 PM

Schools in Asia operate on a competitive basis that dwarfs what happens in the college admittance programs here in the U.S..

it's interesting to hear my Japanese sis-in-law talk about school back in Japan.

school on weekends.

janitorial duty for the students.

brutal entrance exams.

I would NOT want that for my kids.

I'm not even sure I want them getting in to this intense college prep game.

my objective is to get them focused on robot-proof gigs in growth industries,
state universities, and a big focus on internships.

I managed to enjoy my youth sufficiently AND get on a solid career track via
tech. the local schools are actually taking a pretty strong stand against excessive
take-home work which I appreciate if not only because they can still enjoy
their extracurriculars.

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 11:21 PM

Home work is stupid.

If you are training hard all day you should be able to come home and rest.

The Asians are all hard core discipline but they want to come to the US?

Why?

Re: INTERSECTIONALITY IS JUST INTERNET MADNESS- IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD - 05/18/19 11:40 PM

My kids all made their own choices and have gone on to forge their own relationship with the world. Which I think is entirely appropriate. A couple of them are doing the 60+ hour work weeks but that's by their own hand, not because anyone pushed them into it. The extent of my pushing was basically limited to prompting them to assume the responsibility - and the credit - for the choices they make. If any of them have ever had any ideas about blaming their outcome on external factors beyond their control then they're at least smart enough to keep those rationales away from me because I'm not hearing it.

I didn't build that - they did. I wouldn't have it any other way.
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting