Surfer.com

A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al...

Posted By: Goodfish

A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/10/19 01:23 PM

This just popped up on my YouTubing. Was pretty fun and interesting mixed with a bit of hipsterness. Those waves in the second half of the video look epic...Are they south of the border?

Here's the link. I'm too stupid to know how to embed a YouTube video here...
Posted By: jkb

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/10/19 06:29 PM

It was a good watch, but it irked me at the same time.

The clip is essentially about the craft of handmade boards. They mention the history, the stories of the past, hanging out with friends, ect.....and how it's a more fullfilling experience than grabbing a mass produced board off the rack.

Yet they're drinking 10 Barrel beer and using them as a sponsor of the clip. 10 Barrel was a craft brewery that sold out to Anheuser-Busch who sold out to InBev. Now AB InBev is the largest beer conglomerate on the planet and headquartered overseas in Belgium. toilet
Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/10/19 06:30 PM

noticed that right away as well.

Other than that, pretty darn cool.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/10/19 09:29 PM

But...Is the beer good?
Posted By: jkb

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/10/19 09:35 PM

Not as good as it used to be.
Posted By: ghostshaper

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/11/19 03:58 AM

recap: andrew doheny's surfing is impressive. couldn't tell from the video, but zach flores probably has the best shaping technique, given he's jim the genius's prodigy. his surfing was good, too. ryan burch rips. tyler warren, too, even on an 8'0. jared mell on a shortboard isn't a fair comparison.
Posted By: ghostshaper

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/11/19 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: jkb
It was a good watch, but it irked me at the same time.

The clip is essentially about the craft of handmade boards. They mention the history, the stories of the past, hanging out with friends, ect.....and how it's a more fullfilling experience than grabbing a mass produced board off the rack.

Yet they're drinking 10 Barrel beer and using them as a sponsor of the clip. 10 Barrel was a craft brewery that sold out to Anheuser-Busch who sold out to InBev. Now AB InBev is the largest beer conglomerate on the planet and headquartered overseas in Belgium. toilet

roflmao

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/11/19 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-3dRzKAaPgc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

recap:
andrew doheny's surfing is impressive. couldn't tell from the video, but zach flores probably has the best shaping technique, given he's jim the genius's prodigy. his surfing was good, too. ryan burch rips. tyler warren, too, even on an 8'0. jared mell was outclassed.

Is there an update to the posting YouTube vids tutorial? The directions I followed didn't give me any success...
Posted By: bummerdude

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/11/19 04:45 PM

Good watch. Jared Mell was so high the other guys had to shape his board for him lol
Posted By: SrPato

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/11/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Goodfish
Originally Posted By: ghostshaper
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-3dRzKAaPgc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

recap:
andrew doheny's surfing is impressive. couldn't tell from the video, but zach flores probably has the best shaping technique, given he's jim the genius's prodigy. his surfing was good, too. ryan burch rips. tyler warren, too, even on an 8'0. jared mell was outclassed.

Is there an update to the posting YouTube vids tutorial? The directions I followed didn't give me any success...

I have the same problem. Doesn't matter which browser I use, they all fail. I've been in the IT business for over 25 years and still can't figure this shit out. mad
Posted By: SrPato

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/11/19 05:20 PM

Oh BTW, those guys are insanely talented surfers. jam_on
Posted By: YeahNo

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/11/19 08:41 PM

Good watch. My wife/family got me a shaping lesson for christmas at Sunset Shapers, my appointment is in a few weeks jam_on
Posted By: need 4 speed

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 01:36 AM

yes
great vid
3:00-5:00 fav
Posted By: GromsDad

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 11:41 AM

Should have made them glass them themselves. You're not building boards unless you do the whole process yourself.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Should have made them glass them themselves. You're not building boards unless you do the whole process yourself.

The clue is in the title: it's about shaping. Architects don't put the bricks together.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 01:30 PM

Bwa HaHaHaHa!!!!! foreheadslap
Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 01:39 PM

I think most of them probably can. Doesn't burch shape and glass his own fish in the volcom movie?

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 03:19 PM

Bwa HaHaHaHa!!!!! foreheadslap

You're one of those guys I read about on the innernet. Live under a bridge much?
Posted By: sozzle

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 06:11 PM

The clue is in the title: it's about shaping. Architects don't put the bricks together.

to be fair i kind of wanted them to glass em too.
Posted By: patrolman

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: sozzle

to be fair i kind of wanted them to glass em too.

Every step of the process is an art. For a backyard hack like me it's always amazing to watch the pros at any step of the process. Ever try pin striping????

I wonder if any of the true pros watch that vid and cringe at some of the techniques on display?

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 06:40 PM

Board building as a whole impresses me. Handing something off to a glasser anyone can do.
Posted By: Greg Griffin

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 08:43 PM

90% of Al Merricks boards were shaped by someone else and none glassed by him .

GromsDad says :

"Board building as a whole impresses me. Handing something off to a glasser anyone can do."
Posted By: mundus

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 08:47 PM

Glassers are the unsung heroes of the building world a dirty shitty job with toxic materials that is vey difficult to do well. That said shaping and glassing are separate .isciplines

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 10:41 PM

Yeah, I've got respect for all the skills involved in building a board. If separate people do those jobs, then that's great. If it's a one-man band, then that's great too.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/12/19 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
90% of Al Merricks boards were shaped by someone else and none glassed by him .

GromsDad says :

"Board building as a whole impresses me. Handing something off to a glasser anyone can do."

Then go buy a Merrick.......but don't call something DIY when it really isn't. Might as well buy a production board.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/13/19 12:04 AM

Snap Snap and Blah Blah

Here's Wade talking about Eric Haas who I mentioned in a response about airbrusher Mark Townsend to you that you ridiculed - airbrushers with history - Mark riding Huge 3rd reef Backyards with Eric bowdown

Some like new and more complete information outside the marketing stuff . Great movie , just missing so many others of that time .

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/13/19 01:03 AM

If you think I ridiculed airbrushers you should get your head examined. You just made a weird out of place post in response to me stating that Jeanie Chesser was a great surfer and airbrusher. You seem to have taken my compliment about her as some sort of slight against others. Get a grip.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/13/19 01:22 AM

Some here - mostly those who dont ever post , would like to know the bigger picture .

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/13/19 11:13 PM

No. You're just a weirdo sometimes. nana

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 01:07 AM

I posted several airbrushers with huge history in Hawaii of interest

Yourself and 2 others objected to that .

This attitude was created on this " Forum"

None of you were aware of these people and what they have done - straight into shit talk

Instead of asking for more info .

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 01:18 AM

You did so in the manner of a 4 year old who needed attention. Its ok though. Just kinda weird.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 01:58 AM

What a mess the moderation has created here .

Information of interest vs slander .

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 11:32 AM

Greg: Here is your challenge for the day. Go find a post anywhere where I "Ridiculed - airbrushers with history -". I'll even help you out. Below is the link to the Momentum thread where you needed to scream "Look At Me! Look At Me!" to try and make yourself feel like somebody.

If you can't find anywhere where I "Ridiculed - airbrushers with history -" or if you find that it was one or two other people.....NOT ME YA DUMMY......you should come back and admit you were wrong and apologize......but I doubt you will.

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2894730

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 01:44 PM

"How many of you knew that Jeanie Chesser was behind some of the most iconic board airbrush designs of all time? She is one of the greats of board art."

My response , adding information that you and the 2 from Hawaii were not aware of - New information that could be expanded on which I did a little further on .

Laura Powers is pretty good too wave2

Ralph Eeni aka Airworks Hawaii is the North Shores legend when it comes to airbrushing .

Mark Townsend aka MT Designs was great also .

Gavin Hasgawa painted almost all the T&C boards for 25 years , still painting T&C , Pyzel etc.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 01:55 PM

So basically, you wanted to show off your vast knowledge and say to everyone, "Hey Look At Me!" . The thread was about the Momentum Generation film and the topic of Jeanie Chesser was brought up. I simply added that she was a great airbrusher and surfer beyond being the mother of Todd........She's still a great surfer and she's my mother's age. The thread wasn't even about airbrushers but you felt the need to make your weird post and make it about you and who you knew. Nobody gives a shit. You did a dis-service to those airbrushers and you continue to do so with your inability to admit you were wrong and then carrying it over into another thread.

Beyond that you failed to show where I, to quote you, "Ridiculed - airbrushers with history -" and you failed to apologize for the inaccurate false accusation. The truth is I DIDN'T and you aren't man enough to admit you were wrong and apologize for your false accusation. tomato
Posted By: sd_101

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 02:10 PM

I find myself siding with GD lately and that REALLY weirds me out.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 02:26 PM

I just share information .

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 02:43 PM

Greg, your inability to man up when proven wrong on your slanderous posts and being called out on it speaks volumes about you.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 02:57 PM

How many names have you called myself ?

How many personal attacks ?

Your a creature of years of non moderation here .

I guess this is exciting to some .

Enjoy wave2

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 03:01 PM

I donít think Iíve ever addressed you directly here before this dust up. Keep digging that ditch youíre in.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 03:07 PM

Just seems youíre the sort of person who will say anything to avoid admitting your wrongdoing.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 03:09 PM

Enjoy wave2

How would good moderation have handled you wishing death on somebodies family

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 03:32 PM

Your leaving something very important out as usual.

Banning was mentioned and comments were deleted.

Good moderation .
Posted By: Wraptail

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 04:10 PM

Moderation should always start with oneís self. If that isnít done, a person can end up systematically pissing off or agitating other people as well a themselves. It comes more naturally to some then others. so can require effort and practice sometimes; and sometimes that ďsometimesĒ is all the time.

I come on here occasionally and am invariably reminded why it isnít more.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/14/19 05:39 PM

Greg, your problem here isnít moderation, itís your inability to simply admit you were wrong and move on with your life.
Posted By: grg

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/15/19 06:25 PM

No. You're just a weirdo sometimes. nana

ya think......
Posted By: grg

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/15/19 06:28 PM

Enjoy wave2

didn't you recently get your hand slapped by said Moderators recently? Good fun as you say LMAO

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/15/19 07:33 PM

For the record he still hasn't admitted that he had me confused with other people who replied to his post in another thread and he has yet to be man enough to apologize for making false accusations that I had quote "Ridiculed - airbrushers with history -".
Posted By: manbearpig

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/15/19 08:52 PM

Your leaving something very important out as usual.

Banning was mentioned and comments were deleted.

Good moderation .

Yet none of that erases the fact you wished death upon someoneís family.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/15/19 09:13 PM

You can spin it - as you are

It was about having the same experience i have had . I should have not said it .

This in response to a troll and all this trolling of whatever I post .

It was delt with , the trolling will never stop or be delt with just like now .

It was good moderation .

Post something other than personal comments .

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/16/19 11:51 AM

Like entering a thread and making a completely false accusation that I had, to quote you, "ridiculed - airbrushers with history" and then not being man enough to admit your mistake and apologize? I think you don't like being called out for your BS and then wants a moderator to intervene on your behalf. You've been proven to be wrong here and called out and been given every chance to do the right thing yet you double down then cry for the mods to bail you out. That's pathetic. Feel free to keep digging the ditch you've created for yourself.

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/16/19 09:20 PM

Like entering a thread and making a completely false accusation that I had, to quote you, "ridiculed - airbrushers with history" and then not being man enough to admit your mistake and apologize? I think you don't like being called out for your BS and then wants a moderator to intervene on your behalf. You've been proven to be wrong here and called out and been given every chance to do the right thing yet you double down then cry for the mods to bail you out. That's pathetic. Feel free to keep digging the ditch you've created for yourself.
You are not wrong for once, but you are the last person who should be making the point, I have never seen you admit to being wrong no matter how obvious it is.
Posted By: Oceanslide

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/17/19 01:41 AM

I liked that video. Thanks for posting it!
Posted By: ZeeHawk

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/17/19 11:52 AM

That was a seriously fun video! A little hipstery at moments but their shaping and surfing skills made up for it. But really, crazy to see how much they all rip! I would have suggested Russian River Brewing Company as the sponsor. smile
Posted By: need 4 speed

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/17/19 03:43 PM

Yes some very talented surfers ripping fun waves
on "self shaped" decent looking boards. archer, as normal, the key element.
the twinzer footage is good shaka
Posted By: YakAK

Re: A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al... - 01/17/19 03:47 PM

I liked the video. Makes me want to pick up a planer again. Thanks for sharing.
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting