Surfer.com

New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON

Posted By: deforest

New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 05:55 PM

Just sharing some information!! New podcast is out. computer

Pretty rad how Tomo is focusing on surfboard nose refinement. It's kind of abstract idea. I dont know of any other shaper who has committed to refining such a specific part of a surfboard, like a nose? Cant wait to see the new designs.

He also talks about bringing back the old dual fin raptor boards with new upgrades and more "user friendly" designs, which sounds epic.

Definitely a good listen!

Also,, I think Bassy is doing a great job with his interviews so i decided to donate to the podcast this time. $5.00 is pre-set on the donate page (in case anyone is interested). I wanted to donate more but I couldn't change the amount. I think his podcasts are worth a $5.00 drop in the bucket!

Here is the link to have a listen.
https://boardroomshow.com/tomo/

Posted By: ciscojaws

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 07:53 PM

There's a podcast thread for this already.
Posted By: Greg Griffin

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 10:11 PM

Well Deforest , in response to this

Pretty rad how Tomo is focusing on surfboard nose refinement. It's kind of abstract idea. I dont know of any other shaper who has committed to refining such a specific part of a surfboard, like a nose?

Whats more effective in board performance , Nose design or Fin Design ?

I really like what Daniel is doing , lets get that correct . wave2

But I can make others boards work better with fin design . And have for a Very long time .

Nose design can't upgrade anyone else's board .

Several of us in the early 80's designed our nose with their rockers for certain effects .

No podcast back then - thats why this is all new to you bricks
Posted By: jkb

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 10:28 PM

I enjoyed the conversation, except when they would talk over one another.

But there was a big missed opportunity on Scotts part here when you compare this episode to the general theme of past episodes - US board builders vs. imported boards.

I wish Scott would have asked Tomo what he thought about Dennis Jarvis' campaign to put a tariff on imported boards or what Dan thought about the protectionist attitude of Built in the US or Australia and if that was ever a consideration when signing with Firewire. Would have been interesting to hear his perspective.
Posted By: retodd

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 10:28 PM

I like Dan .

Probably his best interview to date

He touches on his past creativity and a lot of us remember it when there was a new variation every month .

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 10:29 PM

Good point JKB
Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 10:44 PM

Haven't listened yet. Still scratching my through the splendor podcast with Hynd.

Dang, you should have posted this in my thread:

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2892114#Post2892114

I wish tomo made more pointy nose shortboards. I just still can't get over the chopped nose.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
Haven't listened yet. Still scratching my through the splendor podcast with Hynd.

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2892114#Post2892114

I wish tomo made more pointy nose shortboards. I just still can't get over the chopped nose.

Dude. SKX is an epic pointy nosed shortboard.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/03/19 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: jkb

Posted By: manbearpig

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 12:12 AM

I wish he still made his twins. Thatís still the most interesting designs heís made in my opinion
Posted By: Wcurtain

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 01:41 AM

Tried looking at their website but didn't find the available info. Does anyone know when the boardroom show will be in Japan?
Posted By: Hdip

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: deforest
Just sharing some information!! New podcast is out. computer

Pretty rad how Tomo is focusing on surfboard nose refinement. It's kind of abstract idea. I dont know of any other shaper who has committed to refining such a specific part of a surfboard, like a nose? Cant wait to see the new designs.

He also talks about bringing back the old dual fin raptor boards with new upgrades and more "user friendly" designs, which sounds epic.

Definitely a good listen!

Also,, I think Bassy is doing a great job with his interviews so i decided to donate to the podcast this time. $5.00 is pre-set on the donate page (in case anyone is interested). I wanted to donate more but I couldn't change the amount. I think his podcasts are worth a $5.00 drop in the bucket!

Here is the link to have a listen.
https://boardroomshow.com/tomo/

You should check and make sure thatís not a five dollar a month recurring donation. They like the recurring donation aspect.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Well Deforest , in response to this

Pretty rad how Tomo is focusing on surfboard nose refinement. It's kind of abstract idea. I dont know of any other shaper who has committed to refining such a specific part of a surfboard, like a nose?

Whats more effective in board performance , Nose design or Fin Design ?

I really like what Daniel is doing , lets get that correct . wave2

But I can make others boards work better with fin design . And have for a Very long time .

Nose design can't upgrade anyone else's board .

Several of us in the early 80's designed our nose with their rockers for certain effects .

I partially agree with what you're saying. But when a nose is pointy and catches or penetrates the water and causes the rider to fall, cutting off the nose or rounding off the nose will "techincally" improve the design. Maybe not as much of an impact as fins, but it does give the board an improvement. I remember riding the IF15 from T patterson and wishing the nose was rounded off because there were times when the nose would catch, or i would be taking off late and was fearful the nose would poke me. But I'll agree that fins effect board performance.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 02:37 AM

But there was a big missed opportunity on Scotts part here when you compare this episode to the general theme of past episodes - US board builders vs. imported boards.

I wish Scott would have asked Tomo what he thought about Dennis Jarvis' campaign to put a tariff on imported boards or what Dan thought about the protectionist attitude of Built in the US or Australia and if that was ever a consideration when signing with Firewire. Would have been interesting to hear his perspective.
I felt the same way. I actually was listening and almost anticipating Bassy asking the question... but it never happened. I even messaged Scott and told him that I was surprised he didnt ask Tomo about that. Scott said "maybe I should have; but sorta feel like that topic has been excavated thoroughly." I felt the same and I felt like the overall theme of the interview was about Tomos success and focused on positive things, so asking Tomo about imports and tariffs probably wouldnt have contributed anything positive to the interview. I think that topic generates a lot of negative energy and draws a line in surfing that really isnt productive to anyone in the big scheme of things. Its a difficult situation and tarriffs dont seem to be the proper avenue for positive or even effective change. But i agree it would have been interesting to hear his perspective. Maybe a part 2 with Bassy???

You should try the Hydroshort Squash! facelick Its very similar to an SKX but has a rounded nose.
Posted By: Hdip

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 07:19 AM

Greg, I already wrote David Lee Scales on instagram and sent him your instagram handle. Provided greggriffinsurfboards is you smile But I would really like to hear you on his podcast. Lee Scales often says he doesn't understand fins and is overwhelmed by fins. His podcast with Pat Rawson just touched on them a bit and Rawson saying they made 7 fin boards even. You gotta get on there and explain to people how much fins effect a board. Give some basics on what makes a fin work and why. All Rawson did was reference fin manufacturers weight charts, heavier guy needs bigger fin.
Posted By: ghostshaper

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 09:49 AM

Retodd needs to do a primer on fins. Same coast as David.

And retodds hand shaped pointy nose Tomo was the best one that Ive ridden. No pearling trying to pump dtl.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 01:47 PM

Is this pearling thing a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist?

I will say that I like and understand his newer noses better. They're not so extreme.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 01:54 PM

Daniel has had a huge effect on several markets , surfboards , SUP and Kiteboard .

Kite boards started with Wake boards , Daniels trademark look , then went to shortboard designs then rediscovered the wakeboard look again thru Daniels success = fun to watch .

Hopefully this doesn't get spun around as some negative comment .
Posted By: Duffy

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 03:36 PM

Quote:
But when a nose is pointy and catches or penetrates the water and causes the rider to fall, cutting off the nose or rounding off the nose will "techincally" improve the design.

Wat?

BTW, I once broke the nose off of a board (Channel Islands boards had a habit of that) and just kept surfing it. There were no down sides to it and the up side was more snappy turns due to less swing weight. Thatís when I realized that, in some cases much of the nose volume is superfluous in regards to paddling and catching waves.

Thatís when I bought a Pod and since then have ridden pointy nosed boards only in large to very large surf.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

And retodds hand shaped pointy nose Tomo was the best one that Ive ridden. No pearling trying to pump dtl.

My opinion only here but I think a boardís tendency to pearl has more to do (other than rider error) whatís under the chest rather that the shape of the nose.

Ya know, volume, width, rocker, concave....

Also tail rocker/width may play a role, particularly in steep waves.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 05:03 PM

I felt the same way. I actually was listening and almost anticipating Bassy asking the question... but it never happened. I even messaged Scott and told him that I was surprised he didnt ask Tomo about that. Scott said "maybe I should have; but sorta feel like that topic has been excavated thoroughly." I felt the same and I felt like the overall theme of the interview was about Tomos success and focused on positive things, so asking Tomo about imports and tariffs probably wouldnt have contributed anything positive to the interview. I think that topic generates a lot of negative energy and draws a line in surfing that really isnt productive to anyone in the big scheme of things. Its a difficult situation and tarriffs dont seem to be the proper avenue for positive or even effective change. But i agree it would have been interesting to hear his perspective. Maybe a part 2 with Bassy???

You should try the Hydroshort Squash! facelick Its very similar to an SKX but has a rounded nose.

I know!

I saw someone say the two were quite similar over on the Japanese XTR website you posted elsewhere.

That Japanese site is way better than their US site. Way more detailed info.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: manbearpig
I wish he still made his twins. Thatís still the most interesting designs heís made in my opinion

El Tomo

(Another pointy nose SBD pokestick)

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Wcurtain
Tried looking at their website but didn't find the available info. Does anyone know when the boardroom show will be in Japan?
May 17 & 18

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 06:07 PM

Yeah... Japanese site has a lot of info! When its translated, it almost sounds like some of the information is coming from Daniel??

You have had some of the best luck with boards JKB! That green El Tomo went super good! So did your Hydronaut squash tail and your Evo! I dont know if you get the magic dims or what... but all yours boards have been really good!

Did you hear on the podcast that Tomo is going to be doing hand-finished customs in AUS? I think he said on the podcast that he was going to be starting up a website with a list of current shapes he's going to be doing. Pretty curious to see what he's gonna be offering!

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Duffy

My opinion only here but I think a boardís tendency to pearl has more to do (other than rider error) whatís under the chest rather that the shape of the nose.

My problem w chopped noses is pearling while pumping dtl, not dropping in... Although I took out a Tomo cyber sim in shoulder high steep beachbreaks, and watched water shoot over the squared nose while dropping in. A regular nose wouldve knifed into the face.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 07:01 PM

Did you hear on the podcast that Tomo is going to be doing hand-finished customs in AUS? I think he said on the podcast that he was going to be starting up a website with a list of current shapes he's going to be doing. Pretty curious to see what he's gonna be offering!

Yeah, I remember him mentioning this in the Tomo thread a while ago. Definitely curious to see what he comes up with, but I was disappointed to hear it's going to be model based only.

I asked him if he'd consider doing a mash-up board with the outline of the hydrosquash and the rocker of the GMM2. He said no bawling

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 09:01 PM

Yeah, I remember him mentioning this in the Tomo thread a while ago. Definitely curious to see what he comes up with, but I was disappointed to hear it's going to be model based only.

I asked him if he'd consider doing a mash-up board with the outline of the hydrosquash and the rocker of the GMM2. He said no bawling
I know... i wish I could order a mash-up as well. My favorite designs thus far have been the Vader, Cymatic, and Hydronaut. So I want to mix those together and see how it goes. A Hydronaut nose, Vader tail/outline, and Cymatic bottom (rocker and hull design). I think that would be an epic board! If I try and shape one it will be like that.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 09:14 PM

Quote:
cutting off the nose or rounding off the nose will "techincally" improve the design.

There were no down sides to it and the up side was more snappy turns due to less swing weight.
Would you say that not having a pointy nose improved the boards performance?

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 10:24 PM

My problem w chopped noses is pearling while pumping dtl, not dropping in... Although I took out a Tomo cyber sim in shoulder high steep beachbreaks, and watched water shoot over the squared nose while dropping in. A regular nose wouldve knifed into the face.

Well Iím not riding chopped noses. Mine are round.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/04/19 10:50 PM

Quote:
cutting off the nose or rounding off the nose will "techincally" improve the design.

There were no down sides to it and the up side was more snappy turns due to less swing weight.
Would you say that not having a pointy nose improved the boards performance?

I think it depends.

I personally prefer pointy noses when Iím in bigger hollow surf. I have a round nose board (5í8) that I love but I also have the same board but with a pointy nose (6í4) and find that that one works better when itís big and juicy.

And Iím talking the wave riding aspect, not the catching waves part.

But I feel like (and people have told me) that I surf better in smaller (less than DOH) surf on my round noses.
Posted By: Goodfish

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/05/19 09:05 AM

Yeah, pretty good interview. Interesting to hear how he went from outline to tails to channels and now focused on noses. In terms of aesthetics, I agree with what he said about the Hydronaut; it really is a beautiful board. Also, pretty cool to hear him talk about revisiting old boards, and mentioning the Vader in particular which is still his all-time best board, I think.

Bassy ain't as good as David Lee Scales when it comes to interviewing, but I think that's a personality thing. David is a more gracious host and a more thoughtful listener; he really lets the people he's interviewing do the talking. Bassy usually wants to get them talking about Jesus or something, and that gets oooooooold fast!

Posted By: crotchgrab

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/05/19 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Goodfish
Yeah, pretty good interview. Interesting to hear how he went from outline to tails to channels and now focused on noses. In terms of aesthetics, I agree with what he said about the Hydronaut; it really is a beautiful board. Also, pretty cool to hear him talk about revisiting old boards, and mentioning the Vader in particular which is still his all-time best board, I think.

Bassy ain't as good as David Lee Scales when it comes to interviewing, but I think that's a personality thing. David is a more gracious host and a more thoughtful listener; he really lets the people he's interviewing do the talking. Bassy usually wants to get them talking about Jesus or something, and that gets oooooooold fast!

He seemed to rave a bit more about the Evo. Said he's been surfing it a lot in junk waves in Oz. Said it's like cheating.

Re: Bass vs Scales. I whole heartedly disagree. Been listening to these for years and Scales goes for a more NPR style and a diplomatic approach. It's tedious and stale. Is guilty of hushing and admonishing Bass whenever things are just about to get interesting. He seems much more scared of pissing off the industry. That's NOT what we want! Too many people suckling on the industry teats to say whats really going on or what they actually think about something. Bass has been podcasting for a really long time. I like his loose and fast approach. When he does his homework, he's far superior. Bass is the strider to Scales Turdpel.
If I want NPR, there are a ton of others doing that better.
Posted By: xmesa

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/05/19 08:03 PM

yeah but if Bassy's jazzy intros and "let us begin..." isn't aping NPR style, i dunno what is

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/05/19 08:30 PM

Both do that cheesdick stuff but I think overall they both do a great job. I just love listening to the characters they interview. I'm typing this as Derek Hynd is talking about his eye surgery.

Wait, why am I posting this here?

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/05/19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: crotchgrab

He seemed to rave a bit more about the Evo. Said he's been surfing it a lot in junk waves in Oz. Said it's like cheating.

Re: Bass vs Scales. I whole heartedly disagree. Been listening to these for years and Scales goes for a more NPR style and a diplomatic approach. It's tedious and stale. Is guilty of hushing and admonishing Bass whenever things are just about to get interesting. He seems much more scared of pissing off the industry. That's NOT what we want! Too many people suckling on the industry teats to say whats really going on or what they actually think about something. Bass has been podcasting for a really long time. I like his loose and fast approach. When he does his homework, he's far superior. Bass is the strider to Scales Turdpel.

Fair enough, but I totally disagree with your description of their styles! I think Bass panders MUCH more to the people he's interviewing. He's the one who is sucking titty. Scales is a much more intelligent interviewer because his questions open up the guests. Then, depending on the guest, it gets really interesting. I've been listening to the podcasts for a few years too. At first, Scales was way to verbose and tried to explain everything, but now he's much smoother. Whereas Bass is just saying what is in his head, then backtracks when he realises he just said something dumb. Both good though. Both compliment each other well when they're together because they're so different.

I'm saying Bass is Kaipo to Scales' Ronnie Blakey.

UP THE SWELLIANS!
Posted By: crotchgrab

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/06/19 08:33 PM

LOL. Touche
Posted By: Wcurtain

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/07/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Wcurtain
May 17 & 18

Thanks Deforest!

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/07/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: crotchgrab

Fair enough, but I totally disagree with your description of their styles! I think Bass panders MUCH more to the people he's interviewing. He's the one who is sucking titty. Scales is a much more intelligent interviewer because his questions open up the guests. Then, depending on the guest, it gets really interesting. I've been listening to the podcasts for a few years too. At first, Scales was way to verbose and tried to explain everything, but now he's much smoother. Whereas Bass is just saying what is in his head, then backtracks when he realises he just said something dumb. Both good though. Both compliment each other well when they're together because they're so different.

UP THE SWELLIANS!
UTFS jam_on #UTFS

I like Bassyís approach. Havenít really click with DLS but Iíll start giving that podcast a listen.
Has anyone seen Bassy surf? I heard he rips.
Posted By: xmesa

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/08/19 04:46 AM

^ i've heard he rips too...you don't get on KBPS w/o some shred cred. but i also heard that he blew up cardiff along with Joel Tudor on SUPs?...and he's a born again tea lover... so, Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/08/19 04:54 AM

He's not an aggro pro, but has a really smooth style. Legit surfer.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 02:00 AM

I listened to the podcast again and noticed 2nd time around that Tomo mentioned how he hand shaped for a long time during his apprenticeship and made templates and outlines by hand. He also talked about glassing his own boards and sanding them under trees in AUS. haha. With no masks. And bailing buckets of water out of the shaping room because it would flood from the rain. ha.

I think he elaborated on that a little bit, possibly due to the convos on here about his hand shaping?

He also talked about Greenough not being a surfer (another subject that was touched on in this forum) and how the powerdrive fins were developed by Tomo and his Dad.

I thought those subjects were interesting given that we talked about them here on the forum.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 02:22 AM

Greenough not being a surfer

What was he ?

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 02:58 AM

What was he ?
windsurfer and kneeboarder.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 03:22 AM

Greenough ď the Kneeboarder ď was the Design Inspiration for Wilderness surfboards

Al Merrick admired their boards and they were a big influence on him in the early 70's .

The Crew at a friends ranch in OZ

Posted By: need 4 speed

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 03:27 AM

this is far out of touch he is
Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 05:24 AM

What was he ?

Come the fvck on already foreheadslap crazy2 roflmao

Greenough was stand up surfing decades ago prior to riding kneeboards.

You're trolling again.
Posted By: Mr J

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

What was he ?

You're trolling again.

I will admit to not knowing Greenough started his life as a waterman standing up, but yes documented here https://www.insidesport.com.au/news/george-greenough-a-true-pioneer-of-surfing-422149 and http://www.weekendhippie.com/weekend-hippie-stories/2016/6/19/in-the-greenough-room-george-greenough

both nice articles and although Greenough was on his knees or prone by the time he gained worldwide recognition a huge influence on standup shortboard riding nevertheless.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, so not dissing anyone in any way whatsoever, but the subject of kneeboarder's influence on surfing is interesting. Steve Lis kneeboarder, the seed for Reno Abilliera's "semi performance twin" (my words), which in turn the seed for Mark Richard's performance twin http://markrichardssurfboards.com/blog/2012/05/the-bumblebee-flies-in/

MR performance twin fin positions were the starting point for the front fins of Simon Anderson's Bells winning revolutionary thruster design as documented in Anderson's excellent biography "Thrust". I bought this book, a lovely "coffee table book" with nice pictures and an interesting and enthralling account of Anderson's career as pro surfer and surfboard shaper to date (although skipped the BASE drama which must have been painful).

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 01:15 PM

I listened to the podcast again and noticed 2nd time around that Tomo mentioned how he hand shaped for a long time during his apprenticeship and made templates and outlines by hand. He also talked about glassing his own boards and sanding them under trees in AUS. haha. With no masks. And bailing buckets of water out of the shaping room because it would flood from the rain. ha.

I think he elaborated on that a little bit, possibly due to the convos on here about his hand shaping?

Yeah, I could feel a slight prickliness regarding that part. It was like he really wanted it known that he was core. Fair enough. If I was a genius, I'd get pissed with a bunch of internet nerds talking shit about me and it getting passed around as gospel.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 01:23 PM

Christian Bradley is not embasresd or " Prickly" about his Handshaping very few .

Its a non issue today .

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 01:31 PM

Yeah, but I had to Google who that is because I'm an internet nerd. Do you even Firewire, bro?

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 01:41 PM

Talking Handshaping a few over 10 - 15 years could piss shapers off who handshaped 1,000's for a real living supporting themselves and thier families if they had .

Not easy work , involves constant improvement , and expense .

Again a non issue in todays surfboard world .

Some of the machine cutters i've used have become very good board builders - never handshaping .

GWS would do well with his experience and he wouldn't even have to finish them dancing

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 02:17 PM

What was he ?

You're trolling again.

Heís got some beef with Greenough for some reason.
Posted By: CCKeith

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 02:57 PM

What was he ?

You're trolling again.

he's got beef with everyone who isnt Dan or Mark Tomo. that beef is from his ignorance. and hes not shy from putting his ignorance on display. which is why hes an idiot. when hes finished he'll have crapped on everyone in the book. hey defraud did ya ever order that board from your buddy Timmy patterson??????????
Posted By: CCKeith

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 03:00 PM

What was he ?

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 09:39 PM

Hey... Im just trying to get to the bottom of this... Im a seeker of truth! I got no beef with Greenough. From what i've heard and read he was a brilliant inventor and genius waterman who hugely influenced surfing. I just want to debate this issue in a reputable forum. Maybe even set the record straight.

Did George stand up or what??

The 2 links that Mr. J posted both say that George was NOT a stand up surfer... he was a knee boarder and matsurfer.

This is an excerpt from the article in the 1st link:
{He haunted the beautiful terrain and surfed the immaculate waves of Hollister Ranch, but was never a fan of stand-up surfing. The last time he stood on a board was 1961.}

This is an excerpt from the article in the 2nd link:
{By his early teens, Greenough (pronounced green∑o) himself had already abandoned traditional surfing in place of kneeboarding and soft mat-riding, two sports few others were participating in at that time. "I really never liked the longboard, it had no flexibility or spontaneity," recalled Greenough from his home near Byron Bay, Australia.}

{George was the clubís only non-surfing member. He never stood up on his board, he never cut or even combed his hair, and always was a bit disheveled, but he was a very inventive guy, and certainly a great waterman.Ē ó Arlen Knight, Santa Barbara}
Posted By: need 4 speed

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 09:42 PM

roflmao
For the longest time I honestly thought df was one of ____ trolls.
It gets much less humorous thinking he is being real

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: CCKeith

What was he ?

You're trolling again.

he's got beef with everyone who isnt Dan or Mark Tomo. that beef is from his ignorance. and hes not shy from putting his ignorance on display. which is why hes an idiot. when hes finished he'll have crapped on everyone in the book. hey defraud did ya ever order that board from your buddy Timmy patterson??????????
Yup! I sure did. I rode the Italo Ferreira Pool Party model. Ask Timmy or Scott about it. They helped me out with the board!

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 09:59 PM

What was he ?

You're trolling again.
You got any proof?

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 11:29 PM

"the clubís only non-surfing member. He never stood up on his board,"

The person who wrote this is an IDIOT

Soo much documentation of George surfing waves = SURFER
Posted By: freeride76

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/10/19 11:42 PM

correct

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 01:01 AM

I was told GG went to knee riding so he could get more toobs
Essentially ride the lowest volume board possible and swim into waves with giant swim fins

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 01:42 AM

What was he ?

You're trolling again.
You got any proof?

There's either one of two things going on:

A)You don't know the readily available facts... yet have decided to make authoritative statements on a subject.

or

B)You're trolling by stating information you know is false.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and hoping it's option B.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 01:54 AM

Yes.

a) The man spent his early years standing up on surfboard and surfed = SURFER.
b) The man spent many years riding kneeboards and spoons and ripping on them = SURFER
c) The man lived and breathed surfing lived and in his car and the bush all around Australia through the 1960s surfing = SURFER
d) Riding kneeboards = SURFING. If there's any doubt in anyone's mind it's because of the bubble they live in. There is plenty of documentation of kneeboarding's glory days in old isssues of ER and ING (as if that matters but the images are great). And a kneeboarder ripping a good wave is a beautiful thing to behold.

I could go on but I'll stop there.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 01:58 AM

From what i could find, that article was written by either Mike or Kerry who run the website that is called "Weekend Hippie" that posted the article. They are a Santa Barbara couple. The quote they used (which you're referring to) was by a man named Arlen Knight from Santa Barbara, and oddly enough the internet shows there was a census done in 1940 that shows a boy named Arlen Knight who was 11 in 1940 that lived at 1000 San Diego Rd., Santa Barbara, CA 93103. Which means this kid would have been around the same age as Greenough in the late 50's early 60's (maybe a little older).

Seems legit??

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 02:14 AM

who was 11 in 1940

11 years + 79 more = drowning

Sounds LEGIT !!!! dancing

Thank Al Gore for the Internet jam_on

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 02:54 AM

From what i could find, that article was written by either Mike or Kerry who run the website that is called "Weekend Hippie" that posted the article. They are a Santa Barbara couple. The quote they used (which you're referring to) was by a man named Arlen Knight from Santa Barbara, and oddly enough the internet shows there was a census done in 1940 that shows a boy named Arlen Knight who was 11 in 1940 that lived at 1000 San Diego Rd., Santa Barbara, CA 93103. Which means this kid would have been around the same age as Greenough in the late 50's early 60's (maybe a little older).

Seems legit??

I will take Matt Warshaw's word.

I will take Greenough's word.

I will take the image of him as a child with a surfboard as evidence as well.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 03:03 AM

And I will reiterate.

Even if he had never stood up - despite the fact we know he DID stand up - and wouldn't matter.

He is/was a surfer, more than 99% of people on this forum will ever be surfers.

You should watch "The Innermost Limits of Pure Fun" It is full of pure unadulterated surfing and culture the way things used to be when it seems they were a while lot better. Then watch "Crystal Voyager" for a little glimpse into George's life.

Amazing humans that existed before Instagram, the WSL, Kelly's pool, and all the other bullshit.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 04:09 AM

You guys are wasting your breath.

When you've taken up surfing in the last 5 years or so, and you wanna argue b/c you read it on the interwebz, then you have this place. #adultlearner #kookstoke

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON - 01/11/19 08:11 AM

Crystal Voyager will always be one of the greatest surf films ever made. I remember watching it as a kid in my bodyboarding days and thinking, "I wanna get some of those!"
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting