Surfer.com

Machado Seaside

Posted By: DroppingOn

Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 01:04 PM

Noel clearly loving it. Looks like it surfs really well (obviously he surfs very well). Might have to look at one. Love my helium Stubby Bastard.

Posted By: 000

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 03:46 PM

embed wasnt workin noels "best performance fish ever"
"fastest little board to date"
Posted By: nightfly

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 05:00 PM

Not a Firewire, Fish or Quad fan but somehow this looks pretty good, probably Noel's surfing does it.
Posted By: Racer1

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 06:44 PM

He's ripping on it and normally he hates fish types.

Gregg was right, they're going to sell a ton of these.

Noel selling ads on his channel? I thought Youtube shut that down.
Posted By: Greg Griffin

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 07:47 PM

Done Deal ! Bang - Boom !

Posted By: deforest

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 09:30 PM

I think it looks a little too small for Noel at times? Anyone see that? Like an inch or two longer would be better looking on him.
Posted By: jkb

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 09:52 PM

More importantly, why is Noel wearing booties in 65* water confused2

Wetsuit police out jam_on

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 09:56 PM

I could have sworn he paddles by a guy with a hood. WTF?

Also if we're on the subject, the skeleton wetsuit?

Posted By: Duffy

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZkOoonBHlCQ" frameborder="0" allow=accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thatís my next board!

Or so Iím told.
Posted By: Mat6920

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 10:56 PM

I m more curious about the fins than the board. The dims are too short length wise, not really suitable for tall surfers. Noel absolutely rips in every single board review either way, hard to judge the board just by seeing him surfing it. However he does a great break down of the design !
Posted By: sushipop

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/04/18 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mat6920
I m more curious about the fins than the board.

Me too, hereís what I found:

NVS Version in G10

Futures Version in Honeycomb
Posted By: Oeste858

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 12:51 AM

For the wetsuit police- it seems like more guys in SoCal are wearing hoods... I think more to prevent/delay Surfers Ear once the water gets in the mid 60's, than for the cold itself. I can't get used to a hood myself, so I prefer the SurfEars plugs. Highly recommend
Posted By: Duffy

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Oeste858
For the wetsuit police- it seems like more guys in SoCal are wearing hoods... I think more to prevent/delay Surfers Ear once the water gets in the mid 60's, than for the cold itself. I can't get used to a hood myself, so I prefer the SurfEars plugs. Highly recommend

I start wearing a hood pretty early in the season for a few reasons.

1. I go north of conception often and just want to be used to wearing one.

2. I can wear a thinner suit with the hood. Hood basically gives you 1 mm worth of wetsuit.

2b. It delays the necessity of booties.

3. My ears hurt all the time (cauliflower) so the hood give me some protection when get pitched.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 01:22 AM

Both my ears are to be drilled out this next year - I win ! ;-)
Posted By: Hoarder

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 01:23 AM

I've started wearing a hood in SD almost exclusively for ear reasons.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: jkb
More importantly, why is Noel wearing booties in 65* water confused2

Wetsuit police out jam_on
hahaha. I was just talking to a guy at the harbor about this. Booties donít come out until the water is around 58. Although I have been thinking about wearing them just for the walk back to the car. I park in the free parking lot and had a serious case of stump foot the other day...
Posted By: obslop

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 03:21 AM

been surfing with a fractured toe for 3-4 weeks now. wear a bootie on that foot and don't even notice it anymore.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 03:56 AM

$140 for the fin set in futures.
damn.
wonder how much a custom quad set is then....

in 2000, $140 that was a blank and glassjob for me.
Posted By: laidback

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 05:29 AM

I'd like to watch machado shape one of those bigdeal
Posted By: Retropete

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 05:48 AM

Well he only needed to do it once.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 07:48 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZkOoonBHlCQ" frameborder="0" allow=accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pimpin ainít easy.

This clip made me cringe. And made me feel old, or at least old fashioned. Is this what the surfboard business is today? It was like watching a QVC infomercial.

Edit: I donít care enough to fix the embed. Scroll back a couple pages.
Posted By: aldo1

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 08:24 AM

Looks like money in small waves
Posted By: Bman76

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 10:12 AM

It's interesting that Rob never got into quads as a surfer, then designed one. A cynic might see it as purely marketing. That said, i love the look of that board, both under his and Noel's feet. Man, those waves are good. I just don't get waves like that often enough...
Posted By: GromsDad

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 12:20 PM

I'd like to see him do his reviews in waves that aren't always so good especially when the board he is reviewing is essentially a groveler.
Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 01:21 PM

Board looks fast.

Otherwise, yuck.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 03:41 PM

They run just south of 8hundy? For that much coin you can pick up a fish from just about anyone (with more shaping experience and a dialed in design).

As someone mentioned previously, I wouldnít say no to one for the right price on CL. But I donít see anything to froth over. Maybe I will wait a year or so for Rob to discover the speed dialer trip, then get one in FireWire unobtanium.

OH NO! Am I turning into Griffin!? Bah humbug. Get off my lawn. Etc.
Posted By: Havoc4k

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Colin
They run just south of 8hundy? For that much coin you can pick up a fish from just about anyone (with more shaping experience and a dialed in design).

As someone mentioned previously, I wouldnít say no to one for the right price on CL. But I donít see anything to froth over. Maybe I will wait a year or so for Rob to discover the speed dialer trip, then get one in FireWire unobtanium.

lol so true!

i think noel salsa is on a firewire trip. they may try to hire him like the methed out shred show gyy lolz

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 06:39 PM

One of the many benefits of bigger margins than other board builders. Instant Marketing. Review came out when board came out.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 06:44 PM

"OH NO! Am I turning into Griffin!? Bah humbug. Get off my lawn. Etc."

I've been quite nice here wave2

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/05/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
Originally Posted By: Colin

lol so true!

i think noel salsa is on a firewire trip. they may try to hire him like the methed out shred show gyy lolz
What does it say in your marketing book about hiring pro's to sell your product? nana

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Retropete
Well he only needed to do it once.

Not too long ago they would say, anyone can shape a board the key is to make surfboardS
Not so much these days

I'd bet Rob making that first board was him sitting down with a guy in front of a computer

I've done that

The drifter has come a long way
Posted By: ZeeHawk

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 01:46 AM

Thought Salsa looked extra spicy on the Seaside. Uber fast looking board compared to other's he's ridden. BTW for all the work Salsa's done on his channel and website he's finally getting some coin for his work. Good on him! I'm stoked to see him get something for his effort. He's been doing this a long time and put who knows how many hours, blood, sweat, and tears into his show. He's done a lot to explain boards and fins etc. in leyman's terms, without any weird attitude, and helped me figure out some stuff about surfing. cheers
Posted By: ghostshaper

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 03:22 AM

I m more curious about the fins than the board. The dims are too short length wise, not really suitable for tall surfers. Noel absolutely rips in every single board review either way, hard to judge the board just by seeing him surfing it. However he does a great break down of the design !

Agree: He's too good to give a genuine review. Everything works for him.

Disagree: I just ff his talking and wanna watch him surf. His explanations are vague (med low rocker, etc.) and misleading (concave claws the wave).

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

Disagree: I just ff his talking and wanna watch him surf. His explanations are vague (med low rocker, etc.) and misleading (concave claws the wave).

Vague ? I haven't seen any one talking that much in details about boards. He usually makes a comment on a part of the design and how it reflects in his turns, manoeuvres etc... i think it s pretty good. But either way I think his reviews target guys competing, whatever the level but competing so serious surfers.

I got a little bored of his reviews cause every board is great for him at the end of the day, not enough focus on the cons, or for what type of surfer this and this board would be good for (powerful surfer / lazy surfer / people looking to hit the lip more etc.... With his skills he should be able to give more insights on ''who should surf this type of board and why '' '' who should surf this board if they want to progress on this and that because of this and that aspect ''
Posted By: indodreams

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 04:33 AM

Looks like a fun board and I've seen pics of it in Firewire upcoming Woolight tech that uses natural wool fibres instead of fibreglass.

Thats going to be a really interesting.
Posted By: ghostshaper

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 04:37 AM

Vague ? I haven't seen any one talking that much in details about boards.

Talking that much Doesn't mean he's providing any detail. Rocker can be quantitatively measured. Qualitative terms like medium, low, high doesn't mean much (vague)

He usually makes a comment on a part of the design and how it reflects in his turns, manoeuvres etc... i think it s pretty good.

Doesn't mean he's right. Concaves claw the wave?
Posted By: grendel95

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 08:18 AM

The surf industry being conservative and protective doesn't take too kindly to negative feedback.

Noel has a pretty good thing going, it's in his best interest to keep the positive vibe and ensure the equipment will keep flowing to him.

While Noel seems to say a lot of the same things about the boards he's reviewing, he does hint at shortcomings and potential quirks he feels. They are pretty subtle, but they are there if you're really paying attention.

As to him being too good a surfer to do reviews, would you watch a review of somebody with less skill? Machado rips but I turned off his goofy explanation of the Seaside.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 08:44 AM

Just as a contrast lets re-visit Machado at Seaside on a CI biscuit. Sometimes is the latest and greatest that much better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq-9hI7h52s
Posted By: grendel95

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Retropete
Just as a contrast lets re-visit Machado at Seaside on a CI biscuit. Sometimes is the latest and greatest that much better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq-9hI7h52s

Glad you found that! I remembered this one: https://youtu.be/0RYJsZ9GaQk
Posted By: aldo1

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

He struggled a little on the Go Fish. Heís got a pretty good handle on design and is definitely a HPSB dude. Retro/alternate does not gel with him.
I like his reviews. Lots of solid info.
Posted By: ReefTeef

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 06:35 PM

He surfs very well but the board looks like it surfs the same as any other thinned out quad fish. I'd rather save $100+ and order a custom from Hanel. I'm sure I'll see just as many of these now at the beach as I do wavestorms. Sure to see a few snapped in half after people take them out in head high beachie.

As for hoods in SD/OC this time of year... I have a bald head so when I get out at first light with the air temp 55 degrees and offshores, if I'm not wearing a hood I'm lucky if I last an hour.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 07:58 PM

heres an idea: a combo wig/hoody

it just looks like hair, so noobody knows youre wearin a hood
Posted By: ReefTeef

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 000

Genius!

Or better yet, flesh color hoodie.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ReefTeef
Originally Posted By: 000

Genius!

Or better yet, flesh color hoodie.

Reminds me of this:

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/06/18 10:53 PM

Posted By: theGraft

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/07/18 07:45 PM

I think any shaper would love to have Noel review a board considering his reach and power to influence now. Hate the new paradigm all you want. Scial meds work.

He's helped sell a LOT of boards I'm betting. He does good enough work to put himself out there. At some level he still needed some connections but no doubt his surfing backs him up and makes him legit in the industry. The good thing about him is he is down to earth and has good interaction with his followers.

I've given enough money to custom boards bu lately have been enjoying OTR boards and it is a refreshing experience. That said, I'm due for a new custom.

I've had way too much fun on a GF before and this Seaside will probs deliver. I'm old, I will have fun.
Posted By: paunch23

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/07/18 10:00 PM

mmmm...seems like everytime these reviewers start to get popular, the big brands take over. all of a sudden noel was saturated with big brand name shapes. i mean i'm sure they work, but fac. they take any marketing chance they can. Give smaller time shapers a chance to get their shapes out.

fckn "Seaside fish" looks good though. if i threw airs and sht, i'd be into it...

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/07/18 10:20 PM

Yeah. I'll admit that seaside looks good & machado is one hell of a surfer

But.....I'll never, ever buy one
I can't believe surfers are so susceptible to marketing bullshit
Posted By: Yewman

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/08/18 02:41 PM

This show has gone the same way as shred show . The big guys get involved then the show becomes marketing hype to sel boards. Noel pretty much loves every board he rides. Iím over that now. If he didnít surf so good I wouldnít watch it anymore. These days I I usually watch the beginning and skip to the surfing parts.

So far I think machados fw boards seem pretty average.. I havenít seen anyone out in the line really surfing good on them. Even machado looked weird on that Midas one. Whatís interesting is how quickly they are making these machado models these days. Every two paychecks a new FireWire comes out and the marketing hype begins again.
Posted By: paunch23

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/08/18 04:16 PM

haha yeah i mean,,, i like the looks of that slater omni,,, they had that other one stu kennedy rides,,, is that the cymatic??,,,sic fi??,,,whatever it is. Anyway, then they just used the blunt nose of the omni and added the tail of that shortboard (scifi) and that's a new fooking model already??? i could have come up with that sht. Come on.

plus, the omni with that bat tail thing looks just ugly.

i heard in one of those podcasts that Mr. Merrick was sort of browsing those fishes and mumbled "those are my noses."

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/08/18 07:56 PM

As someone who's worked in media, there's no incentive to roast a product from a paid advertiser. Sure, I'd like to see him rip a board that sucks, but they paid to be reviewed and most likely will pay again in the future for another review. Noel does a lot of work to make these episodes and he should get all the money he can doing something he loves. You can just skip the review part though.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/08/18 10:33 PM

He is a paid advertiser -
Posted By: liquidmedium

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/08/18 11:37 PM

He is a paid advertiser -

Wow, I agree with griff.... first time for everything ...

Yea, together he and firewire almost got me with the cymatic .... but, meh, I Surf what i Surf and ride what I ride.

for the most part I donít even like other surfers so why would I care what they have to say about a particular board.

Ha!

Plus his reviews are contrived regurgitated ad nausuems with marginal insights, just basic breakdowns and generalizations.

And he surfs lowers, who and what couldnít Surf lowers beyond their abilities....

Thatís why you surf what you Surf, where you surf. And you surf it, simple.

You donít surf what he surfs where he surfs do you?

End of story.
Posted By: Aruka

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 02:49 AM

Nothing against Noel Salsa but at this point it's like what board doesn't work well at lower trestles under the feet of a high level surfer who surfs there every day.

Sideshow bob machado gonna make the investors a bunch o money on this one regardless.
Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 03:28 AM

machado makes anything look good in anything. marketing gold.

I think it's impossible to watch this video and not make you want to surf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCua3mzcLcg

Ok maybe with the sound off roflmao

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 04:04 AM

Machado surfs so good, he always looks like he's having fun

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 07:45 AM

Even if i agree with what everyone is saying there about the influence of Noel, you have to look at the numbers, his channel only has 10 000 followers, the Seaside review only has 18,000, which is the average view of his videos. What s the percentage of people buying the boards after watching one of his reviews considering that 90% of all viewers are the same for every board he reviews ? if you compare with the number of surfboard sold worldwide his influence is peanuts.
Posted By: daave

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 11:51 AM

You might be overestimating overall volume of the surfboard marketplace...we are peanuts

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 02:08 PM

Nice video cheers
Posted By: ciscojaws

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 06:48 PM

Fin puller so I donít hurt my hands... bigdeal

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 07:35 PM

Your board already has a fin puller, it's called a leash. Wrap the strap around the fin and pull. Duh.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 10:06 PM

Marketing at work .

Wrong is right - easy

Right is wrong - too much work

Enjoy wave2

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/09/18 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: daave
You might be overestimating overall volume of the surfboard marketplace...we are peanuts

Quickly looked at figures, in 2009 number of units sold worldwide was 3 millions. By now this number is obviously more, maybe 4 millions. Noel s influence is definitely peanuts at the end of the day.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/10/18 05:17 PM

I need to go out and get me a pair of those Hurley capris. monkey

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/10/18 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ciscojaws
Fin puller so I donít hurt my hands... bigdeal

What's even more stupid is inventing a tool for a tool-less fin system out of recycled plastic and with recycled carboard instructions for something no one needed. Saving the planet. Pffft.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/10/18 05:44 PM

Fusion plugs a great

Hope they don't go away
Posted By: kool-aid

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/11/18 05:58 AM

I have a poly go fish and that board absolutely rips. Maybe my favorite all-time twin and I've had a ton. There's absolutely no way this board doesn't completely shred. Would be cool to order a custom but then maybe it would be nice to have it in a light construction like helium or whatever.

Re: Machado Seaside - 12/11/18 12:34 PM

They will sell a ton of these .

Rob is having a great time too.
Posted By: A1B2C

Re: Machado Seaside - 02/05/19 02:26 PM

Just test rode a 5í8 with spec fins. Yep that board works, seems effortless and never lost speed in any turns. Looks like it will handle some size , but not late drops, paddles really easy.
Posted By: patrolman

Re: Machado Seaside - 02/05/19 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: Oeste858

I start wearing a hood pretty early in the season for a few reasons.

1. I go north of conception often and just want to be used to wearing one.

2. I can wear a thinner suit with the hood. Hood basically gives you 1 mm worth of wetsuit.

2b. It delays the necessity of booties.

3. My ears hurt all the time (cauliflower) so the hood give me some protection when get pitched.

I had one ear drilled and the next is ready but I've delayed by wearing a hood. As soon as it dips under 65 I put it on. Also, in my advancing years, the head flick to get the hair out of my face after duck diving is causing neck problems (getting old sucks) and the hood eliminates the necessity of the head flick.

For all you under 50's, laugh now and make fun of the carps wearing hoods in 65 degree water and then wait for it.....karma will come looking for you. poke

Re: Machado Seaside - 02/05/19 04:50 PM

At least you have hair.

I've had 1 ear chipped out but avoid hoods as long as I can. It definitely reduces the sensory experience of surfing but so does freezing.

Just use the cheap Mac's silicon plugs now.

I do love my hooded 4/3 Drylock though when the water gets into the mid 50's and/or the air drops into the 40's. It's the best suit I own. Wish I had picked one up sooner. I can put off getting into my 5 mil till after New Years usually.
Posted By: Oeste858

Re: Machado Seaside - 02/05/19 05:33 PM

nightfly-
Try a pair of Surf Ears plugs. They look like earbuds, are reasonably comfortable and still let in sound, so doesn't hinder the sensory experience as much as a hood or other plugs. Expensive compared to Mac's, but I'm on my second winter with them.

Re: Machado Seaside - 02/05/19 06:11 PM

I have a pair somewhere that I tried, but didn't get on with for whatever reason.

I'll give them another go but I'm happy with the Macs really.

My comment about sensory deprivation was more about hoods than plugs. Feel much more isolated in a hood than with plugs.
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting