Surfer.com

Superbrand Fling?

Posted By: Hopeless

Superbrand Fling? - 10/30/18 09:14 AM

I know it's an old(er) design, but does is it still good compared to today's boards? I'm looking for a groveller for east cost Oz and there's a "vector net" EPS version for relatively cheap near me in what look like useable dims...
Posted By: MrSteve

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/30/18 02:27 PM

How much better can a 'new' design go than one from 5 years ago? If every new design went better, can only imagine where we'll be in 10-20 years thought
But all reviews and videos point to the Fling as a pretty sick board.
Posted By: Hdip

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/30/18 03:59 PM

Look a couple posts down at the post "so I bought a thai board" That's about a fling.
Posted By: Havoc4k

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/30/18 04:20 PM

i still havebmy og superflex fling. love that boar. mayget a pupe one since sts superflex is oinda light when windy

great boar! hp gravel tight shredz boar. really good backside
Posted By: sd_101

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/30/18 04:43 PM

Why are these on sale everywhere? At least the pop out FF version is...

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/30/18 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: sd_101
Why are these on sale everywhere? At least the pop out FF version is...

prly new tech coming out
Posted By: Mat6920

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/30/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopeless
I know it's an old(er) design, but does is it still good compared to today's boards? I'm looking for a groveller for east cost Oz and there's a "vector net" EPS version for relatively cheap near me in what look like useable dims...

If you are quick and lucky Cooly Surf is closing down in the next 2 - 3 days and they have the fling in epoxy on super sale. Might get it new for 500 AUD
Posted By: Racer1

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/31/18 12:28 AM

Having been to East Coast OZ and currently have a Fling, I can tell you that it will go great there. It goes great in anything.

This is my post about it:
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2855291&page=1

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/31/18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Racer1
Having been to East Coast OZ and currently have a Fling, I can tell you that it will go great there. It goes great in anything.

This is my post about it:
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2855291&page=1

I think they updated the size, I remember I should have taken a 5'6 at 32L but I didn't cause at 6'2 it s just too short. Now i think 32L takes you to 5'8, much better
Posted By: Colin

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 10/31/18 04:27 AM

And all this science
I don’t understand.
It’s just my job 5 days a week
A rocket maaaaaan. Rocket man.
Posted By: Hammaa

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/12/18 11:27 PM

FYI in case you’re curious: I’ve got a 5’10” for sale. Brand new. Super Flex, carbon wrap technology. 36.5 Liters. Made in Thailand via GSI. Never surfed or waxed. I bought it from Super in Carlsbad to resell. PM me if you’d like to check it out. I think it’s the 2017 version, but not 100% sure. I’m in north county SD.

Moderator: please remove if inappropriate. Apologies if necessary. Thanks!!
Posted By: Waxfoot

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/14/18 06:42 AM

Sunshine Coaster here. the fling's a sick AF board for around here.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/14/18 07:24 AM

Just got an email from them that they have flings in stock in the online shop.
Posted By: Hammaa

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/15/18 04:19 AM

PSA: if you’re in the North County SD area...I believe that Super will be having a ‘factory sale’ this coming weekend (11/17-11/18). Might be a good opportunity to fondle some Flings.

Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with Super, I just heard this thru the grapevine, so do your homework and confirm before coming to Carlsbad to check it out.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/15/18 10:34 AM

I'm in Sydney and have seen a few guys ride them around here. Should be fun as we come into summer. The only problem is the only ones they have for cheap are FCS2 - I'm an exclusively futures guy. Any recommendations in FCS2?
Posted By: Mr J

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/15/18 10:48 AM

I'm in Sydney and have seen a few guys ride them around here. Should be fun as we come into summer. The only problem is the only ones they have for cheap are FCS2 - I'm an exclusively futures guy. Any recommendations in FCS2?

FCS Performer PC carbon. I have the size small in my Chilli Mini Bird small wave board and they work great. They also used to work great in my Diverse 5' 8" HPSB/step up. The carbon should make them good for bigger surfers too - low noodle factor. I reckon size large would be best for you, particularly for a summer small wave board. They have a cambered inner/stringer side.
Posted By: nightfly

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/15/18 05:44 PM

Accelerators.

https://vimeo.com/100741344

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/15/18 05:53 PM

superbrand large thruster set n you’re good

trip foreman said they made fling magic n i agree

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/16/18 06:40 AM

Awesome. I think I'll pull the trigger. Super have a free (thruster) set of their fins with every board purchase at the moment as well which makes the deal even sweeter.

Just wondering... should I just go for a thruster set or a 5 fin set? Does this board go best as a quad or thruster?

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/16/18 05:37 PM

[b][/b]
Awesome. I think I'll pull the trigger. Super have a free (thruster) set of their fins with every board purchase at the moment as well which makes the deal even sweeter.

Just wondering... should I just go for a thruster set or a 5 fin set? Does this board go best as a quad or thruster?

it was mediocre as a quad and magic as a thruster with the superbrand large thrusters. google search real watersports fling

trip foreman was spot on. my boar became magic after the thruster fins. am large felt like too much fin and i really couldnt get a quad set to work.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/16/18 06:46 PM

Grab the 5 fin set, I loved it as a quad and didn't like it as a thruster.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/16/18 07:11 PM

Grab the 5 fin set, I loved it as a quad and didn't like it as a thruster.

ha! surfing is so subjective lolz cheers

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/16/18 10:00 PM

ha ha ha ha love it.

Yeah I'll grab the 5 fin set. I'm expecting it to ride it as a thruster though as I'm not a massive quad guy unless the rears are set closer to the stringer (McKee placement?).

Thanks guys

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/18/18 03:05 AM

Have you bought it and surfed it yet? I'm waiting for the ride report.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/18/18 10:12 PM

Not yet... I'm out of the water with a back injury for a few weeks.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/18/18 10:27 PM

Get the NEO GLASS Performer, they are good for small waves, no need at all to go carbon PC. It s a recommendation from FCS when I was looking for fins for my rocket v3. They re cheaper and they are amazing in small medium size.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/18/18 11:40 PM

Thanks for the tip. At this stage I'm getting a free tri fin superbrand set so I'l stick with those and see if I can find a set of neo glass performers on gumtree. I've ridden the large neo glass performers before in small waves and they seemed ok

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/19/18 03:02 AM

bugger. Have you had a diagnosis? I used to have a bad back, but been fine for well over 5 years now. I did get rehab and still do core strength exercises.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/19/18 09:43 AM

Yeah a bulged disc and pinched nerve. It happened before a couple of years ago. It's a standard story - did core strengthening stuff for a year after the last disc issue then promptly forgot about it. Time to get back into it!

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/20/18 09:10 AM

I had a total of 6 disc incidents over a period of about 4 years. Each time I would tweak my back almost all of them from either surfing or skating and could hardly walk for a couple of days. Then after about a week back on board, but experienced twinges and general aches in between incidents. Does this sound anything like your incidents?

I was told likely cause was a bulged disc. All fixed up now, touch wood.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/20/18 10:41 PM

Yeah a bulged disc and pinched nerve. It happened before a couple of years ago. It's a standard story - did core strengthening stuff for a year after the last disc issue then promptly forgot about it. Time to get back into it!

Dr Naomi Conlon in Belrose mate - Talented chiropractor if you dont have any. Impressive how she can fix you up. Not everyone is comfortable with having spine and neck manipulated like that but she fixes me up all the time.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/21/18 01:20 AM

Super emailed me. $100 off all boards until Xmas.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/21/18 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Mat6920

Dr Naomi Conlon in Belrose mate - Talented chiropractor if you dont have any. Impressive how she can fix you up. Not everyone is comfortable with having spine and neck manipulated like that but she fixes me up all the time.

Mat, my path to recovery was via chiropractor too. Chiro took a wholistic approach though - prescribed low risk stretches and persuaded me to get deep tissue massage at the same surgery as part of the treatment. I still get both those treatments every 3 weeks as maintenance.

Massage therapist is very good and can spot imbalances building up in me from the activity I do e.g. he could see that the way certain things were tightening up that I was hyper extending my back and I traced this to non optimal technique taking off, so I concentrated on keeping my chest closer to the board during those essential power paddle strokes that we sometimes need to do to get us into waves. Had chiro manipulation and massage today in fact, went for a skate first this morning. Always have to rest the day after the therapy so tomorrow I will do nothing other than walk to the office.

Like all health professionals some are better at helping individuals than others so your recommendation for those in Sydney is good.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/22/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr J

Mat, my path to recovery was via chiropractor too. Chiro took a wholistic approach though - prescribed low risk stretches and persuaded me to get deep tissue massage at the same surgery as part of the treatment. I still get both those treatments every 3 weeks as maintenance.

Massage therapist is very good and can spot imbalances building up in me from the activity I do e.g. he could see that the way certain things were tightening up that I was hyper extending my back and I traced this to non optimal technique taking off, so I concentrated on keeping my chest closer to the board during those essential power paddle strokes that we sometimes need to do to get us into waves. Had chiro manipulation and massage today in fact, went for a skate first this morning. Always have to rest the day after the therapy so tomorrow I will do nothing other than walk to the office.

Like all health professionals some are better at helping individuals than others so your recommendation for those in Sydney is good.

Agreed 100% for deep tissue massage, I actually did both, had a tendonitis / bursitis on the shoulder. Couldn't get rid of it with rest only, went to see a guy, every time it was extreme pain (trigger point) but releasing those tight tissues is great combined with realignment of bone structure. Had another tendonitis on my outter ankle near the bone, turned out I kind of have a flat foot and very tight calf + weak right glute. Same process again and now it s gone.

But the key to long term surfing is 100% regularly doing sport massage, spending time at home a few hours a weak stretching, using tennis balls, foam roller etc... One guy on internet called Chris Mills gives heaps of tutorial / video around this topic https://surfstrengthcoach.com/ Good youtube channel. Currently following his work out program, good stuff.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/22/18 07:41 AM

Mat, seems like we have arrived at similar ideas regarding the value of regular maintenance. I buy a package of combined chiro/massage sessions, which is more cost effective than just paying for a session individually. Chiro is most effective when kept up even after the symptoms/problems have gone away and the massage therapist can spot imbalances building up before they become a problem with symptoms - will prescribe me specific stretches.

How often do you surf and how often do you do the fitness program and get the two schedules to work together without overdoing it and interfering with each other? Do you do any other sports?

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/22/18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr J
Mat, seems like we have arrived at similar ideas regarding the value of regular maintenance. I buy a package of combined chiro/massage sessions, which is more cost effective than just paying for a session individually. Chiro is most effective when kept up even after the symptoms/problems have gone away and the massage therapist can spot imbalances building up before they become a problem with symptoms - will prescribe me specific stretches.

How often do you surf and how often do you do the fitness program and get the two schedules to work together without overdoing it and interfering with each other? Do you do any other sports?

I surf in average 4 times a week, every saturday sunday and 2 or 3 times in the morning before work (1hour to 1h30) in the week depending on swell. I live 2 blocks away from the beach so if there s a swell i ll surf anyway. Gym depends on how much I surf but in any case i ll go at least twice a week, I try to stick to 3 times + force myself to do one yoga session per week (very irregularly throughout the year, I dont like it much I just do it cause I know it s good for the body but sometimes no motivation for weeks). Here in Sydney the surf is rarely physically challenging. I mostly listen to my body, if I have the energy I ll hit the gym in parallel. You can go to the gym everyday too, it depends what you do there.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 11/28/18 08:22 AM

That's very good Mat what you are able to do. This is all very individual, but it can be interesting to swap notes, so I am now down to just 1 day a week of core strength exercise and a little bit of light dumbbell work at home. I used to do twice a week of core strength training and dumbbell weights, but I am now able to work remotely 1 day and sometimes 2 days a week. I am just a coder and that can in theory be done anywhere I can get an internet connection, but in practice I need to be in the office most of the week. Just come back from 4 days down the coast, coding for two of them, but can surf twice in a day.

So now that I am using more of my stamina budget up with surfing, there is less left for core strength work. That's great that you are just two blocks from the beach. Melbourne is 1 1/4 hrs minimum from the surf although having flexibility with work is helpful. I wouldn't recommend living in Melbourne unless one has flexibility in life. Gotta have other sport living in Melbourne and it has great skateparks - one awesome one just outside the CBD and I get there 2 sometimes 3 a week before work, which is yet another reason why I'm not going to have room for extra core strength weight work. Plus the sort of skating I do - low grade flat ground and freestyle is very good at tuning up the core - manual variations in particular. Old man transition skating not so good. Skating is guaranteed pain and injury though! So I wouldn't recommend it as a means of training, really got to like to make it worth it - which I do.

Core strength exercise I have picked up from here and there - the chiropractic centre, one former colleague who is a sports scientist and surfed a little and a physio who I saw after a skateboard accident lol.

Yes agree some extra maintenance is going to help with our longevity at surfing, plus when the core is stronger getting a clean pop to the feet is easier. Surfing a lot helps too! Things have got easier now I am not entirely confined to weekends. Almost forgot, I do some back stretching almost every day (a couple of very safe stretches prescribed by chiro). Plus some leg and glute stretches after every skate and occasionally after surfing.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 01/31/19 03:06 AM

@hopeless: How did you go with the fling mate ? I just ordered one in 5'8 smile

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 01/31/19 08:31 AM

Hopeless, I've been waiting for the review too. Not because I am interested in buying one, but because there seems to be very few boards that you really like! So wondering if you hit the jackpot with this one.
Posted By: cdes

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 01/31/19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
[b][/b]

it was mediocre as a quad and magic as a thruster with the superbrand large thrusters. google search real watersports fling

trip foreman was spot on. my boar became magic after the thruster fins. am large felt like too much fin and i really couldnt get a quad set to work.

I agree with this assessment. My Fling felt sluggish as a quad but much more fun as a thruster.
As for the Fling itself, its a good option if youre looking for a board with a lot of range. Has enough rocker to surf bigger days but also enough foam to HP grovel when its weaker. Its the board I grab after my manta, when it looks like you could have some sections that are going to be a bit too mushy for an HP board (that happens a lot where I surf). Its worked in some overhead stuff for me as well, when the wave wasn't too critical.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 01/31/19 11:56 PM

I ordered one, but i start to be a bit worried with size, I usually ride hp board at 32.5L (DHD DX1 6'2), Daily driver gary mcneil 5'11 (32.9) and i ordered the fling in eps 5'8, 34.5L ... i m 83kg. How did you size it ? On my end it s to use it from 1 2 foot waves though and my trip to Maldives in case i get flat days in april

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/01/19 02:33 AM

I ordered one, but i start to be a bit worried with size, I usually ride hp board at 32.5L (DHD DX1 6'2), Daily driver gary mcneil 5'11 (32.9) and i ordered the fling in eps 5'8, 34.5L ... i m 83kg. How did you size it ? On my end it s to use it from 1 2 foot waves though and my trip to Maldives in case i get flat days in april

That sounds kinda big. I'm 6'1 and same weight as you and the old stock 5'6 x 20.5" x 2 5/8" 32 liters is perfect for groveling and riding good waves. I'd go down to 5'6 and trim some width and thickness from it.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/01/19 02:46 AM

That sounds kinda big. I'm 6'1 and same weight as you and the old stock 5'6 x 20.5" x 2 5/8" 32 liters is perfect for groveling and riding good waves. I'd go down to 5'6 and trim some width and thickness from it.

Yeah that s what I thought, but I did not want to go down to a 5'6, i m 6'2 and I just dont like paddling something so short, also they were advising to ride it with more liters than your shortboard. For 100$ I could have got the new eps tech from Super made in OZ, the 5'8 comes at 33L on new dims, i ve been too cheap on this one haha. Also 6 weeks lead-time vs 5 days.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/01/19 09:43 AM

Hi guys, I never ended up getting one. I found a deal on gumtree instead for something more cruisy when I was coming out of my back injury. This is the exact board I ended up with (2nd hand) . It's got more foam and to be honest is quite cruisy. Grovels great and is fun from waist high and below.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/13/19 10:22 PM

Well you can add me to the long list of people stocked on this board, I can't believe how it surfs seriously, the thing has crazy speed and so much pop. Best board I ever had for smaller wave BY FAR.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 04:00 AM

It really is an amazing board. Looks like a blobby groveler but I swear you can shred on it as hard as you want.

It's the only board I've ridden on head high or under waves in the past 4 months.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 05:36 AM

Yeah man, it s actually crazy, it definitely handles a punchy head high wave as good as a weak waist high wave. I didn't find any trade off, my HP are 32L, this one is 34.5L 5'8 but it doesn't feel bulky at all, i m seriously impressed. End up getting in waves so easily, the touch of nose rocker helps on steep drops. Man so happy I bought that board
Posted By: Bman76

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 09:39 AM

A few years back i was super keen on the fling but when i got down the local surf shop, they only had it with FCS and i'm a future's dude and impatient... The lost puddle jumper had just been released and i bought into the hype. Worst board, let alone groveller, i've ever owned. I'll get the fling one day - it's on the list.
Posted By: Greg Griffin

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 12:44 PM

5’6” “Fling” 10 years ago , Eps - Greenroom Epoxy wave2

Posted By: pademauge

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 03:20 PM

Guys who love it, what fins are you running ?
Posted By: trevorbc

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Bman76
A few years back i was super keen on the fling but when i got down the local surf shop, they only had it with FCS and i'm a future's dude and impatient... The lost puddle jumper had just been released and i bought into the hype. Worst board, let alone groveller, i've ever owned. I'll get the fling one day - it's on the list.

I agree about the puddle jumper. The best lost groveler of all time is the Bottom Feeder. High performance shredding in the smallest of waves. That said, these boards kill your surfing in my opinion. They are a crutch that is too easy to use when the conditions look anything but perfect. They have their place don't get me wrong and are super fun but I'm off the groveler kick. Surf the step down in everything that doesn't look perfect and below waist get a nose rider.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: pademauge
Guys who love it, what fins are you running ?

GMB Large Thruster fins. I should probably play around with it a little more - the Mayhems are just some fins that Im comfortable with size wise.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 07:53 PM

Was running AM Large quads and loved it, but put some performer large fronts in and love it even more. More responsive and tighter turns.

I tried it as a thruster with AM large, but didn't like it.
Posted By: Bman76

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: trevorbc
Originally Posted By: Bman76

I agree about the puddle jumper. The best lost groveler of all time is the Bottom Feeder. High performance shredding in the smallest of waves. That said, these boards kill your surfing in my opinion. They are a crutch that is too easy to use when the conditions look anything but perfect. They have their place don't get me wrong and are super fun but I'm off the groveler kick. Surf the step down in everything that doesn't look perfect and below waist get a nose rider.

I've never heard a bad thing about a bottom feeder. What's your step down?
Posted By: nightfly

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 10:52 PM

I still have my Bottom Feeder, still works though don't ride it as much. Tried a Puddle Jumper and bought and sold a Puddle Jumper round. Didn't like them as much. Think too much concave on too wide and flat of a board. Bottom Feeder has more subtle belly/concave/vee.

Tried a friends Fling as a quad on small waves and it went really well. Maybe better than the Bottom Feeder. Rumour has it though it goes really well as a tri. Big Superbrand set or FCS Accelerators. Think it needs a fin with more area but haven't tried myself.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/14/19 11:04 PM

The Fling starts to come alive after stomach high. Get a Flying Manta for waves below that, but still nicely shaped.

Re: Superbrand Fling? - 02/15/19 02:45 AM

Yeah below stomach starts to be a really really small wave, realistically you need a log or you are a pro surfer. Anyway I prefer the fling as a thruster ( but only had 3 surf as a thruster and 3 surf as a quad), turns tighter and honestly the board has such natural speed that i dont really see the reason to go with a quad. I had fun on fat wave as quad but last time when the waves got bigger / punchier (still in the fairly small medium + range size) the board started to feel out of control / tail sliding out.

I run large performer thruster / performer quad set. Only downsize is when there s too much offshore wind, the EPS is so light that it can become annoying to just take off and keep going !
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting