Surfer.com

FCS “freedom” leash.

Posted By: Clamsmasha

FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 12:52 AM

I’ve been running a 6’er in small medium stuff for a couple of months.

Really good.

I like the minimalist ankle bit, it’s very quick to get on/off or adjust.

Has a bit of an engineered stretch going on with the braided leash, so it absorbs the initial shock to a degree, and the psychotic snap-back of urethane is tamed too.

Looks like you can change broken components, they are fastened with fcs grubs.

One downside is that you get a bit of rope burn if you’re doing battle with the board in the impact zone/ pulling weed off the leash under pressure.

https://www.surffcs.com/collections/leashes/products/fcs-freedom-leash
Posted By: Havoc4k

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 01:43 AM

so these r easy to refuckiltate when things break on them?
Posted By: laidback

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 02:21 AM

Is $45 the going rate for leashes nowadays?
Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 03:01 AM

The FCS ruined leashes
Posted By: manjushri

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 03:37 AM

Seems if the leash doesn't stretch more chance of a board breaking under the lip.

I want to try tho, in comp leash
Posted By: laidback

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 03:47 AM

Nothing says "freedom" like a leash

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 04:04 AM

Havoc,
Anything can be refuckulated, but can you Hutchence yourself in the shower with it?. That’s what makes this one special.

Expensive. Yes.

FCS ruined a lot of things, especially their flagship finbox.

Maybe the stretch plays a part in breakage, but I reckon you could do it with no leash at all if you zig when you should zag.

Laidback..haha yes , it’s got a bit of a feminin hygiene note to it, no?
Posted By: ciscojaws

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 11:58 AM

My OG FCS leashes gave me a lot of freedom because they snapped on 2’ high tide mush.
Posted By: BillyOcean

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 12:16 PM

Does this thing tangle less than normal leash? I would pay more for that but other stuff doesn’t really matter to me
Posted By: GromsDad

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 12:29 PM

Most of the leash failures I've had in recent years have happened at the molded stand off at the cuff. It does look like they have made an improvement in the cuff design. I don't care for the braid over the cord. Someone mentioned rope burn and I could easily see that happening. Also......stretch is good. If the braid limits stretch something else is gonna give like your leash plug or the tail of your board.

Please give me the new cuff with a traditional cord. I'd pay $5 more for that leash than the FCS Essential leashes I've been using.
Posted By: Duffy

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 02:11 PM

It’s a fooking leash. Don’t over think it.

Does it tangle? No? Good.

Does it break? No. Good.

We’re done here.
Posted By: Goodfish

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 03:07 PM

I like the way this Duffy character puts things.
Posted By: 000

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 06:38 PM

bunjee cord? High Tensile Over-Braided Nylon Cord

Thinner, lighter & stronger.
Limited over-stretch designed to return to original length.
Reduces tangling and drag
Posted By: Racer1

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/02/18 07:30 PM

I bought in to the hype and got one. It doesn't tangle as much and it pulls through the water different. It doesn't pull on your leg too hard and the board doesn't fly back at you. The one negative is that you can't slide your hand on the leash as you pull your board back to you. I usually like to pull the board hard and then as it's coming back to me, slide my hand down the leash to control direction. I don't know if everybody does this, but with this leash you can't slide it. Just grab one spot and pull it.

Off the bat, I'd say the leash is worth $30 with the cuff and how it feels in the water. Definitely not $45. Now if the leash lasts twice as long as a regular leash, then it's worth $45.
Posted By: Hopeless

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/03/18 10:31 AM

Kudos to FCS for the attempts in innovation. I just don't know if it's appreciably better than a standard polyurethane leash without the "braid".
Posted By: jp30surf

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/04/18 01:30 PM

I feel like if that leash wraps around your ankle and you get dragged your foot could come off clean :/
Posted By: jkb

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/04/18 04:37 PM

Futures leashes are way better. toilet
Posted By: Oeste858

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/04/18 06:33 PM

haha. #futuressuck
First off, yes, it's definitely too expensive for a leash. But I'm a "gear" guy, so I had to try it. I will say that I was impressed. It does what it says: lighter weight, comfortable cuff, seems to have less drag, and the main benefit- it doesn't tangle like the standard leash. As someone who keeps a leash thrown in the back of my car, the old one would get really twisted/coiled, and tangle every session. So, it's a winner in my book. If you are due for a new leash anyway, give it a shot.
Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/04/18 07:02 PM

If they would invent a leash that doesn't end up underfoot during late takeoffs I'd buy it.
Posted By: 000

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/04/18 07:53 PM

i want a wireless leash, like my mouse
Posted By: tom@daumtooling

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/05/18 03:03 PM

Actually, Crow makes leashes for Future Fins in Australia.
Posted By: tora54

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/05/18 05:11 PM

Do these new Freedom leashes come in different lengths?
Posted By: jkb

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/05/18 05:28 PM

Way better than those communist leashes of yesteryear.

Where's my bald eagle holding the Constitution tailpad, FCS?

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/16/18 08:37 PM

SAVE YOUR MONEY - DO NOT BUY.

I've had my freedom leash for less than one month and used it about 12-15 sessions total. Today, as I'm pulling out the back of a head high closeout, I feel the dreaded pop. I literally came up and whispered, "You're fooking kidding me." Sure enough, leash snapped at the rail saver. Luckily the board popped up next to me so I grabbed it. Waves were firing and it's 20+ minutes round trip to the car and back up leash so I had to MacGuyver. Using the loose nylon weaving, I tied a few knots on to my leash string so I could stay out. What a disappointment. A regular comp leash usually lasts me at least 6 months and most times up to a year. This premium upgrade $45 leash didn't even last one month. FCS should be embarrassed by this piece of shit.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/16/18 09:42 PM

that sux racer!

been using ci jordy leash on arukas suggestion. been working out great for past couple years

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/16/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: jkb
Way better than those communist leashes of yesteryear.

Where's my bald eagle holding the Constitution tailpad, FCS?

they’re all made in China is in that communist enough for you
Posted By: opsurfer

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/16/18 10:49 PM

Mine Snapped too. After second surf in 2 to 3 weak surf. Don't buy.
Posted By: sd_101

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 12:43 AM

CI hex leashes are where it’s at.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: sd_101

I can’t get mine to unkink. Been hanging weights on them for a month and they still have the kinks in them from the packaging.
Posted By: sdsurfrat

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 12:51 AM

Crow Haley leash for the WIN!!! jam_on

everthing else is just overpriced china junk barf
Posted By: sd_101

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 02:15 AM

My standard one took a few bigger swells to straighten out but nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe yours was on display in the sun. I always hang them straight when not in use.
Posted By: Homie

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 03:41 AM

I wonder if it works well with the new Futures Leash Plug.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 05:31 AM

Looks like the freedom is when it breaks
Posted By: colas

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Racer1

I've had my freedom leash for less than one month and used it about 12-15 sessions total.

Same here. Mine broke exactly like yours at the 4th session. Looks like the attachment design is faulty: when a leash breaks at the attachment point, it means they are badly designed. A good design will break in the cord, showing that the attachment were stronger than the cord.

It is too bad, it is a good leash: does not tangle, comfy, and most importantly impervious to fin cuts. But with the current design, treat it as a 5mm comp leash, do not use in more than shoulder-high surf.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Duffy

I can’t get mine to unkink. Been hanging weights on them for a month and they still have the kinks in them from the packaging.

The proper way to straighten a leash is to put the cord part in boiling water for 2 or 3 minutes. I don't know why this works but it does.

No it will not weaken the cord. Mine (DaKine, Creatures, FCS) still break at the atatchment.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/17/18 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

The proper way to straighten a leash is to put the cord part in boiling water for 2 or 3 minutes. I don't know why this works but it does.

No it will not weaken the cord. Mine (DaKine, Creatures, FCS) still break at the atatchment.

Posted By: youcantbeserious

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/18/18 02:40 AM

Anybody else surf without a leash a majority of the time? I try not to wear one if at all possible, and when I do, they drive me nuts. Yes my boards get dinged up and yes I swim a lot.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/18/18 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious
Anybody else surf without a leash a majority of the time? I try not to wear one if at all possible, and when I do, they drive me nuts. Yes my boards get dinged up and yes I swim a lot.

So core!

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/18/18 01:17 PM

Hipsterific!!!!
Posted By: Clayster

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/18/18 03:30 PM

If they would invent a leash that doesn't end up underfoot during late takeoffs I'd buy it.

XM tangle free leashes. Been surfing them for 5 plus years. Durable and stay out of your feet.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/19/18 03:07 AM

Just did this. It works.

37 years of surfing, how did I not know this?

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/19/18 09:22 AM

Works with old telephone cords too. Shape-memory.
Posted By: acnjusa

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/19/18 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: 000
i want a wireless leash, like my mouse

your phone.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/19/18 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Clayster

XM tangle free leashes. Been surfing them for 5 plus years. Durable and stay out of your feet.

Any noticeable drag from the slider?

I once tied a little piece of nylon cord to my leash to make a drogue specifically to slow my board down.
Posted By: Clayster

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/19/18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Clayster

Any noticeable drag from the slider?

I once tied a little piece of nylon cord to my leash to make a drogue specifically to slow my board down.

I haven't noticed any.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/20/18 10:01 PM

Update: Mine snapped too, after 15-20 surfs. in the middle of the cord, not near the end. Shame as I really liked it. FCS says they are all sold out so can't replace it.
Buyer beware!

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/21/18 12:47 AM

Hmmm, shitt. Might have to avoid it on the new custom. Mine’s still going strong but the trend isn’t encouraging.
Posted By: afoaf

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/21/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: sdsurfrat

Posted By: ChaseTMP

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/21/18 03:16 AM

I bought two since they were always sold out at FCS (was hoping to get my buddy to order through his account for 50% off) and surprisingly my local shop got an order in while I was in there and I think I paid around $30 with a hook-up. I had read positive reviews on Stab and though why not? I bought into the scarcity marketing hook, line and sinker.

I have never in my 35+ years of surfing had so many leash issues. In the month I've been using one of the leashes, I've blown at least four waves due to getting my opposite ankle hog-tied. I have no idea how this is happening since the f--king stand-off is so damn long. You can feel the added resistance of the stand-off, if you're like me and swing your feet back and forth a little while waiting for a wave. Theoretically this should help keep more of the leash out of the water, but I didn't really notice any difference between the Freedom leash and my FCS comp leashes that I've had for five+ years without a break or issue.

I've tried orienting the stand-off differently than what I'm used to (parallel to the stringer) and still have had at least one issue every session. I'm pretty disappointed as I hoped for some perceptible improvement based on the hype and having issues that I can't remember ever having is dumfounding. Of course I've had the occasional cord caught in between my toes that's hindered me in the past with other leashes, but getting my opposite ankle involved is new.

I was in Huntington Surf & Sport last Friday (not my local shop) and there were two broken Freedom leashes in a built in storage box built into the shaping stands in their showroom. I was sharing my experience with one of the employees and he gave me the "yep, been hearing that" look.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/21/18 03:01 PM

How could a company release such a piss poor product?

FCS should be issuing refunds.

Faulty Products

Faulty items will be exchanged for new items within 2 weeks of receiving the product. If this product is not available, we will gladly exchange for any items to the same value or issue a refund. Either way you will be contacted by customer service to determine what is best for you.

FCS will happily cover the cost of shipping your new product.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/21/18 03:53 PM

well my fcs2 boxes eject fins so the leashes self eject too

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/21/18 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
well my fcs2 boxes eject fins so the leashes self eject too

Seen it a million times

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/26/18 02:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the hex leash from CI. I ordered one last week and used it today. The super comp feels really thin and better than the freedom leash. Interesting concept.

If anybody else is interested, I got it from swim outlet on sale:
https://www.swimoutlet.com/surf-leashes-...p;allbrand=2076

Edit: ci has the super comp cheapers:
https://shop.cisurfboards.com/collections/leashes

Posted By: sakana_kid

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/26/18 08:59 AM

Thanks Racer!
Posted By: Hopeless

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 06/26/18 09:54 AM

It sounds like it was rushed to market without proper testing. Good to see that the early adopters have made the issues clear!

FYI I've got one of the CI hex leashes. No issues and no tangling.
Posted By: Longy2229

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/05/19 03:27 AM

Got one of these gifted to me for Christmas, never been so annoyed wearing a leggy in my life like this. Won’t be getting any of my money that’s for sure

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/05/19 08:55 AM

Mine got weirdly stretched after just a few surfs in mediocre waves. They replaced it after an email or two, and so far the new one has been good. I prefer them to the old style leashes, but I guess it's a work in progress...
Posted By: xmesa

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/10/19 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Hopeless
It sounds like it was rushed to market without proper testing. Good to see that the early adopters have made the issues clear!

FYI I've got one of the CI hex leashes. No issues and no tangling.

the CI one is nice... but why such a big ass cuff? it could be half as wide.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/20/19 07:28 AM

The replacement they sent me just suffered the same fate as the first. Had about 20 surfs with it. Nothing much above head-high. Nothing super heavy. Stretched thin by around 15cm closest to the leash plug. DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK!

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/20/19 12:35 PM

Every time I see this leash I think about the possibility of it ending up between my toes or wrapped around my leg and giving me a horrific rope burn. No thanks.
Posted By: surfercross

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/20/19 07:39 PM

Its the worst leash I have ever owned. Still gets tangled around my feet.
Posted By: tedshred

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/21/19 07:01 AM

I bought one and it did the stretch out thing where it seems like the inner urethane cord pulls out of the rail saver but is still connected by the outer cord that is now hollow. Returned it and the same thing happened again. Also the rail saver plastic piece is enormous and I can feel its drag when I'm paddling. Seems like zero R&D went into this piece of poop.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/21/19 10:09 PM

Sounds like exactly what happened to mine.

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/22/19 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Goodfish
The replacement they sent me just suffered the same fate as the first. Had about 20 surfs with it. Nothing much above head-high. Nothing super heavy. Stretched thin by around 15cm closest to the leash plug. DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK!

Same. Loved the idea of a lighter thinner leash, but appears to be Form over Function. They certainly won't get many repeat buyers.
At least they replaced yours once!

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/26/19 01:24 AM

They've said they'll replace my second Freedom leash that got stretched. I've told them I just want one of the original leashes. Freedom leashes are junk, junk, junk!

They now serve as two mini washing lines on my terrace...

Re: FCS “freedom” leash. - 01/26/19 02:52 AM

That was the worst part about my experience with the leash. Now I just have this pile of plastic with no real use. I don't want to throw it in the trash, so it was my dogs toy for awhile. Now I use it to pull plants / trees in my yard in the right direction.
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting