Surfer.com

Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length?

Posted By: lorcar

Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/21/16 10:14 PM

So, got in the water after too many months and after knee surgery. It was better than expected, and it seems that last month in gym and pool helped. Nevertheless I felt like my usual board (old flyer) was not floating me enough, and this can't be just due to heavier 5:4 wetsuit. It's age, being out of shape, not enough time in the water. I saw all other people on thickest fish or long getting tons of waves (there was also that Japanese professional grom on a hpsb which was doing the incredible) and this got me thinking i should get a board with more volume perhaps. Where should it be added? I don't think length, while rather thickness. Or width? Or it's just a matter of how the same volume is distributed? So just a larger nose would do the trick (which as you guessed is paddling more easily and getting higher waves count)?
Is there any of you who did a similar choice?
I have a fishy board (black knight 2) but since it's in boardworks I am trying not to use it in the next coming days. But its resemblance to the boards of people having a blast is to tempting...
Posted By: Aruka

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/21/16 10:28 PM

OG flyer is a good design but the fairly narrow nose and decent amount of nose rocker means it doesn't paddle as well as some more modern boards with wider noses and lower entry rockers.

A little more width and thickness probably won't hurt but don't go too crazy. Some designs are meant to be ridden with more volume but oversizing a shortboard has never really worked out for me.
Posted By: jkb

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/21/16 10:32 PM

For smaller waves, I think you'll get the best bang for your buck by adding width, especially when combined with an increase in nose and tail width. Not only do you get the volume increase, but you get the added bonus of an increase in usable surface area, which will help with paddling and instant speed.

That's my vote at least.
Posted By: CP1970

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/21/16 11:12 PM

I tend to do subtle increase's in width and thickness first and in sync - often in half measures So I don't stray too far from the original file...then a 1/2 measure length increase if I'm scratching to get up ova my 28l minimum.
Talk directly to your shaper.
Posted By: Drumsurf

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/21/16 11:23 PM

Width and thickness but don't go overboard. Especially with a repaired knee. You don't want to be pushing that too hard a too big a board may end up straining your knee. Especially if you try and surf it aggressively.

I surfed a big fish ( way bigger than i'd normally ride) for a couple of months after my acl repair. Helped me get back in paddle shape and I just cruised it.
Posted By: AbeVigoda

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: nexttozen
Get a sampler. Itz an improvement on the flyer. Surf more too

shaka
Posted By: 20W-50 and blood

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 01:45 AM

just go see brian bulkley
Posted By: stu dog

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 02:45 AM

add foam at the width, rails, and nose.
trust me
Posted By: PartyBoy

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 11:18 AM

My girlfriend wishes I had more girth and a bit more length.
Posted By: marcou

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 12:15 PM

Wider and a touch thicker but keep your regular rails. So many boards on the market now to choose from, i'm sure you'll find a good one to replace your old Flyer. But you'll find a better one if you talk to your local shaper as mentioned earlier.
Posted By: ifallalot

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 01:01 PM

Add width but don't go crazy on volume
Posted By: ghostshaper

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 01:15 PM

Are there local shapers in Italy?

I don't think Bulkley is local to you bc he's local to me. wink2

Since you don't get in the water much, I would ride the bk. Then buy a manta. I don't know what the waves are like there, but I'm guessing you don't get much swell from the north or South.
Posted By: poser

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 05:49 PM

I `ve been very happy with Axel Lorenz version of the Flyer. It`s called Dirty Devil and the newest version is socalled the Juicy.

to me it carries the same speed like my CI the Whip but with more volume. great manoverbility and responds in Beachbreaks. Maybe a bit easyer to surf compaired to the Whip.

I saw this one on the stock-list and pulled the trigger. It`s a bit too much volume for me and i could go thinner or narrower but honestly i can`t feel it. It still goes in range up to 2 feet overhead.

I surf it mostly in Waves from 6-8 sec Period. So they are a bit slower with less push. The board serves me well and the description from Pukas fits to itīs performance.

offcause Pukas is a bit pricy but with this one you wount go wrong. It gives the Flyer-Feeling for shure.
Posted By: bsnyder

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/22/16 08:35 PM

Width, flatter decks, thickness, and length all add volume.
Lots of options.
Flatter decks with angular rails are coming back.

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/23/16 01:10 PM

Poser, good suggestion thank you. Very interesting indeed. Even though on their website also the Loco and Sixty-nine look very tempting.
Havoc, no doubt the sampler is the deal, but it seems you always suggested me the latest board you bought! First the manta, now this.
Yes there are shapers in Italy. But I'm currently in Portugal surfing twice a day like a dream
Posted By: gui

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/23/16 02:25 PM

I'd go with Pukas if I were in Europe

They sure will point you in the right direction
Posted By: Emmohl80

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/23/16 03:56 PM

increase nose/tail width, relax rocker, same volume

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/31/16 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: nexttozen
Get a sampler. Itz an improvement on the flyer. Surf more too

Got the chance to hold the sampler, 5.9
It seemed huge, really a lot of volume. Checked Pukas website, and 5.9 sampler has same volume of 5.11 juice
Posted By: acnjusa

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/31/16 11:33 AM

oversizing a shortboard never worked out for me. yeah man.
Posted By: TheMM

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/31/16 01:04 PM

To keep the feeling of your board, i'd go with bit thicker center w same rails/ less nose rocker for paddling

Else ride shorter/wider/ flatter but same thickness
Posted By: slopokecr

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 05/31/16 10:36 PM

I can see how volume can be a reference (and useful) spec, especially with most stuff being CAD. It seems like ive seen hand shapes with the volume spec on the stringer--how do they calculate it? Dunk it in a tank and measure the difference in water level?
Posted By: jkb

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 06/01/16 01:49 PM

They probably put the dims in a shaping program and spit out an estimated volume number.
Posted By: grapedrink

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 06/03/16 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: slopokecr
how do they calculate it? Dunk it in a tank and measure the difference in water level?

Paging GWS dancing
Posted By: Yewman

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 06/08/16 02:23 PM

Pukas has sick boards on the site
Posted By: wrecked

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 06/08/16 10:00 PM

This (+1) and....stop aging NOW bomb
Posted By: GWS

Re: Adding volume. Where? Width, thickness, length? - 06/08/16 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: grapedrink
Originally Posted By: slopokecr
how do they calculate it? Dunk it in a tank and measure the difference in water level?

Paging GWS dancing

Awesome!

And I know nothing about this volume stuff.

Usually I just turn it up for the good ones. rockin
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting