Surfer.com

Blocked Ears with Plugs

Posted By: ciscojaws

Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/22/19 02:42 PM

I've been using these and I really like them however, earwax gets compacted pretty bad. I was up at 2 AM last night flushing my ear with an ear wax removal kit since I couldn't hear because the wax blockage was so bad.

Does anyone else have this issue? How do you deal with it?
Posted By: jkb

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/22/19 05:33 PM

Your best bet is to get ear plugs (like Docs Pro Plugs) that don't push wax into your ear. Their design fits around the outer ear to form a seal.

You could also go the silicone route, but I've tried that and didn't like not being able to hear anything. With Doc's, you still have a hearing vent.
Posted By: ciscojaws

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/22/19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: jkb
Your best bet is to get ear plugs (like Docs Pro Plugs) that don't push wax into your ear. Their design fits around the outer ear to form a seal.

You could also go the silicone route, but I've tried that and didn't like not being able to hear anything. With Doc's, you still have a hearing vent.

Thanks, just ordered the fitting set.
Posted By: john4surf

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/22/19 07:58 PM

Just a thought... before I had the inner ear growths removed (dremmel), water would often get behind the growths and remain there long enough for bacteria to infect the ear. Apparently one (or more) of the growths was close to the ear drum and when surrounding tissue became swollen from the infection the was contact with the ear drum that was sufficient to impact the ear drum's vibration of sound. Everything sounded muffled or, I simply couldn't hear well until lots of prescription drops, meds, etc. resolved the swelling. I wasn't ready to undergo the procedure so I bought one of those blue squeeze bulbs in the drug store kids/baby section used to clear out runny noses. I didn't use the bulb to 'suck out' the water rather I used it to rapidly squeeze and direct air into the ear canal and eventually dry the ear out before the ear became reinfected. Maybe this could help along with the use of Docs plugs!

I had my ear reamed out about 25 years ago and while I no longer surf, the ear didn't give me any more problems for about 15 years up to the point of retiring from surfing shortly after getting a knee replacement around my 65th birthday. Plugs are your ear's friend. Use them! G'luck! John
Posted By: jkb

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/22/19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: ciscojaws
Originally Posted By: jkb

Thanks, just ordered the fitting set.

cheers

If you're close to a surf shop that sells Doc's, they should have a fitment guide there as well.
Posted By: patrolman

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/22/19 10:20 PM

I lost two pair of Docs, then gave up on them. They're relatively pricey. Now I just wear a hood. So much easier.
Posted By: bigsurfer67

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/22/19 10:51 PM

Although you cannot hear well with the soft silicone ear plugs, they won't push wax back in to the ear canal. Both ears were about 75% closed 10 years ago. Have been using them since then every time and have successfully avoided the drill so far.
Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/23/19 02:10 PM

Fit the Doc's correctly and you will not lose them in the water on the regular.
Posted By: acnjusa

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 01/24/19 01:51 PM

plugs create an ear canal vacuum which ushers ear wax out.
Posted By: surf cat

amazing live sea monkeys - 01/29/19 07:07 PM

shrug See if you can score one of those blue 'plungers' they sometimes use for babies~
fill it up with 'hot' water and jet~flush the wax , sand and glitter left over New Years....
catch the crud in a bowl it see how much comes out
Posted By: rowjimmytour

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 03/04/19 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: patrolman
I lost two pair of Docs, then gave up on them. They're relatively pricey. Now I just wear a hood. So much easier.

Buy a bag of swivel hooks and loop string to end and attach other to wetsuit zipper. Also go to ear doc and have wax vacumed out before you blow your eardrum trying to get it out by yourself.
Posted By: SurfDoc

Re: Blocked Ears with Plugs - 03/13/19 01:04 PM

I changed the "leash" on my Doc's. Work great. As for wax blockage, nowadays you can purchase and inexpensive otoscope and can have someone look to see the extent of wax buildup or osteoma growth. When in doubt see a professional.
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting