Surfer.com

Best shoulder therapy exercises?

Posted By: GromsDad

Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 12:09 AM

Post em up. Working hard to come back from shoulder and hip problems. Got the hip pretty much resolved but the shoulder is still nagging a little. Been working hard in the weight room 4-5 days a week for two months, dropped a few pounds and gotten much much stronger. Still feeling shoulder impingement going on.....now I think because of my work in the weight room pulling my shoulders forward. Think I just need to balance things out a bit. Looking for what works.
Posted By: mundus

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 12:14 AM

Swim, had some shoulder problems, nothing helped more.
Posted By: Mr J

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 09:26 AM

a physio said that usual dumbbell, barbell shoulder gym stuff is good coz it builds up the muscle and ligaments in the shoulders which helps protect. This sounds like what you are doing so is good.

The heavy duty stuff neglects the smaller rotator cuff muscles. The whole point of rotator cuff training is very light with high reps - almost doesn't feel like proper exercising. I like the elastic tubing ones best however I like the way this man explains how to isolate the rotator cuff muscles and avoid the bigger muscles such as delts taking over the exercise. Unlike the heavy stuff, rotator cuff can be exercised every day.

https://youtu.be/mvjQMoL246o

Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 01:37 PM

The last place someone with shoulder problems should probably be is doing typical upper body exercises in the gym.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
The last place someone with shoulder problems should probably be is doing typical upper body exercises in the gym.

Been being careful. Lot of work on strengthening things.

My routine has been:

Day 1: 20 minutes of cardio on a bike or climber followed by an hour on the machines working legs
Day 2: 20 minutes of cardio on a bike or climber followed by an hour on the machines working upper body
Day 3: Swim laps with a mix of distance and sprints
Repeat.

Not using free weights other than dumb bells. Keeping resistance low on the machines and doing a lot of reps. In two months I've lost 8 pounds overall and probably replaced another 8 pounds of body fat with muscle. Look better and feel better overall.

When I do upper body I to a lot of Lats, Chest, Shoulder and Tris. I do very little Biceps. Really focusing on the stuff needed for surfing.

Wake up in the morning though and the shoulder feels like shit from sleeping on it. Also last week surfed wearing a 5mm suit and the shoulder was feeling pretty shitty after 2 hours. I was pretty bummed with how I felt surfing because I thought I was a lot farther along than that from the work in the gym. Pain is all towards the top of the recovery stroke.....that last foot when you reach forward.......not in the pull stroke.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 10:13 PM

You have been surfing for what, 40 something years?

If it were me I would stop doing the upper body stuff until I did what works.

Here is what works:

See an orthopedic doctor.

You very well might be in the infancy of a tear.

If that's the case you don't want progression.

Perhaps he will prescribe PT to remedy your issue.

The recovery from shoulder surgery is long and shitty. You don't want it to get to that level.

^^^^^^^^^^That's what I tell people experiencing impingement issues. The ones who have not taken my advice or did not do PT ended up with surgery. YMMV.
Posted By: BillyOcean

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 11:02 PM

A few random suggestions (Iím not a doctor)

Light resistance band work (15 lbs)

Farmers walks (some people believe the vibrations radiate up your arms into shoulder as you walk with weight and over time strengthen shoulder in unique way)

Train with thick barbell or fat grips (thick bar is thought to reduce stress on joints in pressing exercises and strengthen grip, which some believe translates to better overall upper body condition)

Do dead hangs from pull up bar for as long as possible

Pushups/ dips on gymnastics rings

Yoga

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 11:09 PM

Surfing 36 years. The original injury was July a year and a half ago. Golf related. I ignored it and it got worse. Played golf and surfed through pain for 6-months until in December a year ago when it peaked at a point so bad I couldn't push up off the deck to pop up and it was preventing me from sleeping. I was an advil eating machine. In late December a year ago I found some stretching exercises that worked wonders and got me on a long slow road to healing. I realized that the reason my issue began is because I spend 8-10 hours a day sitting at a computer or driving and my shoulders had significantly rounded forwards. Stretching to improve posture and rest over the course of the next 8 months got me back to about 85-90% pain free. Very little shortboarding and very little golf but I became a madman with a camera last year. The lack of activity due to injuries led to just plain getting soft and putting on an extra 10 pounds. Now the mission is to get back to where I was surfing wise before the original injury and then some. Will be turning 50 next summer and I plan on surfing my ass off.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
A few random suggestions (Iím not a doctor)

Light resistance band work (15 lbs)

Farmers walks (some people believe the vibrations radiate up your arms into shoulder as you walk with weight and over time strengthen shoulder in unique way)

Train with thick barbell or fat grips (thick bar is thought to reduce stress on joints in pressing exercises and strengthen grip, which some believe translates to better overall upper body condition)

Do dead hangs from pull up bar for as long as possible

Pushups/ dips on gymnastics rings

Yoga

Dead Hangs was one of the stretches that got me on the road back. I've been doing a ton of that for the past year.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/14/19 11:34 PM

Dead hangs are great

Try overhead carries (walking with weight overhead- both arms and single arm)

Start with light weight

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/15/19 04:20 PM

I am not a doctor or PT but would advise against self treatment, especially some of the exercises listed above, until I got a diagnosis from a physician.

That is, if you're having symptoms of shoulder impingement.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/15/19 06:04 PM

Yeah, I really have no idea what Iím talking about

Those are just exercises I like to do

I had a mildly nagging shoulder for a few months in 2017 and now itís a non issue, but maybe Iím just lucky
Posted By: patrolman

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/17/19 02:55 AM

I have to agree with Casa. See a professional.

I'm 57, been surfing for 45 years and this last year my left shoulder has gone to hell. It got to where I had difficulty putting on a shirt or jacket. I had to remember to put my left arm through the sleeve first. It hurt to reach back for the seatbelt.

I've been going to a PT for months. M soulder's gotten a little better. I have my range of motion back. But I still get real sore. Today the surf was great but I was in pain pretty much the whole time- Surfing is now what I call the Agony and the Ecstasy.

The PT had me do things that were counter intuitive- stretching where I had the most pain and exercises that seemed too easy. I was getting tingling in my arm and he was able to figure out it had nothing to do with my arm but was a neck problem caused by the "hair flick."

The way he was manipulating the shoulder, figuring out pain and pressure points, testing range of motion and prescribing exercises was not something a layman could ever figure out on m own.

See a PT.

ps because I'm still having pain, the next step is an MRI. Insurance would not cover an MRI until I had gone through a PT regime.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/17/19 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: patrolman

The way he was manipulating the shoulder, figuring out pain and pressure points, testing range of motion and prescribing exercises was not something a layman could ever figure out on m own.

The knowledge a good PT can possess is pretty amazing.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/17/19 09:27 PM

Someone else posted this somewhere. A few of the exercises my PT gave me are on here.

https://www.orthoinfo.org/globalassets/pdfs/2017-rehab_shoulder.pdf
Posted By: surfflexx

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/18/19 06:47 AM

Gromsdad, there are many exercises for shoulder rehab but to throw a bunch at you without a better understanding of the underlining issues that have causes your shoulder problems is just a shot in the dark. That said posture issues and repetitive overhead movements tend to be the culprits for surfers shoulders. Always good to have a Physical Therapist assess you to get you on the right path or the exercises you choose may either hurt you, hinder you, help you or they may be doing nothing at all. Good luck!

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/20/19 09:46 PM

This is interesting.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/W-HMcC8qxRM[/video]

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/21/19 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
This is interesting.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/W-HMcC8qxRM[/video]

Wow. Revelation.

I surfed Saturday and in less than an hour was in pain.Shoulder to neck. I surfed for another hour because the waves were great and there was no crowd, but it was agony and ecstasy.

After surfing I was walking up the trail holding my board and I noticed the pain was completely gone. A short time later, sitting at the table eating breakfast ,I noticed I was in pain again (arm up on the table). So I stood up and walked around a bit and again the pain went away.

So what this MD is saying about the injury forcing the shoulder up and to exercise with weight pulling the shoulder down (holding my board) totally confirms what I was feeling.

Also confirms what the PT said about the tingling in my arm and hand being caused by impingment in the neck.

Going to watch that again.

Thanks Gromsdad.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/21/19 12:14 PM

After a year on this journey to get back to surfing pain free I realize that posture is a huge part of what caused all of this. That video also brings to mind a couple of years of bad problems I had in my mid 30s with pinched nerves in my neck that would flare up after a long session. A flare up would leave me in agony for a few days and up to two weeks of pain and muscle cramps in the muscles leading to my left shoulder and the muscles between my spine and left shoulder blade.

After 6 months of worsening shoulder pain to the point that it was becoming unbearable and to the point where I was convinced that I was going to need surgery I found a couple of stretching exercises that began the slow healing process. Realizing more and more as I work on getting better and now getting stronger that the real issue was rounded over shoulders and posture from sitting at a desk and driving a car. I find it very interesting that that video specifically mentioned getting your car seat upright with the steering wheel close. Being 6'1 I've always driven with the seat tilted back which forces me to tilt my heat forward and makes me reach for the wheel. Never thought of that but I'm going to try and correct it starting today.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/21/19 05:31 PM

Makes me think about how I slouch on the couch in the evenings watching TV...

...and how I would take Advil after surfing for my sore shoulder (if you didn't watch the video- don't take NSAIDS as they inhibit the substance necessary to regenerate cartilage).

Also, heat not ice...I would ice.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/21/19 05:42 PM

Couldn't even estimate how many Advil (2 at a time) I took during the 6-months I was really hurting.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 01/23/19 08:56 PM

Couldn't even estimate how many Advil (2 at a time) I took during the 6-months I was really hurting.

Now you realize that was not the best thing to be doing. But yeah, it does dull the pain...
Posted By: Coat Hanger

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/08/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Not true

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/08/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr J
a physio said that usual dumbbell, barbell shoulder gym stuff is good coz it builds up the muscle and ligaments in the shoulders which helps protect. This sounds like what you are doing so is good.

The heavy duty stuff neglects the smaller rotator cuff muscles. The whole point of rotator cuff training is very light with high reps - almost doesn't feel like proper exercising. I like the elastic tubing ones best however I like the way this man explains how to isolate the rotator cuff muscles and avoid the bigger muscles such as delts taking over the exercise. Unlike the heavy stuff, rotator cuff can be exercised every day.

The muscles of the shoulder work in conjunction with and complimentary of each other. Why would you try and isolate the smaller weaker muscles (you can't) and ignore the larger and more powerful muscles? Why would you try (again, you can't) to create an imbalance in this necessary architecture?

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/08/19 03:21 PM

From a recent seminar....

Itís important to recognize that the model of ďhealthĒ adopted by an individual or a practitioner ultimately guides how they interpret a given symptom, as well as what evaluation or treatment may then be pursued or offered. For example, consider the differences in diagnostic and treatment approach for the same symptom between a surgeon, a chiropractor, an acupuncturist, and a naturopath.
ē
The traditional biomedical approach operates under three assumptions:
1. All symptoms (or illness) have a single underlying cause.
2. Disease (pathology) is always the single cause of symptoms.
3. Removal / attenuation of the pathology will result in a return to health.
ē
Because these do not always hold true, this reductionist approach, while superficially appealing, is deeply flawed (see Wade et al. BMJ 2004)
ē
Despite ongoing debate in the literature, weíve come to like a more recent proposal by Huber et al. (2011) arguing that health is characterized by ďthe ability to adapt and self-manage in the face of physical, emotional, and social challengesĒ.
ē
We like this definition due to the focus on human adaptability, resilience, and promoting self-efficacy (thereby minimizing dependence), while recognizing the role of biological, psychological, and social factors that may influence the experience & potential indications for specific treatment.
ē
In short, we donít want you to NEED us for every single symptom, every transient ache/pain that arises in life. Our hope is to equip people with the knowledge and tools they need to self-manage as much as possible, and help guide the path as much or as little as needed towards desired goals.
Posted By: Wraptail

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/08/19 05:58 PM

Hereís my 2 cents: anyone with issues should go to a friggin doctor to start and likely end up at a physical therapist.

For reference: I have arthritis in my hips, spine, had 2 disks replaced in my neck in August (could barely move right before, pain at 7-10 for a very long time.) I did everything else n going under the knife was only thing left to try. Iím 47. This winter Iíve been able to do 3+ hr sessions in heavy overhead ++ beach breaks in northern ca virtually pain free.

Go to a friggin doctor, if you donít like that one then go see another one. Same with PT. Donít wait, donít ask the Internet-which is like trying to get a black belt by watching YouTube videos... some guys insist on doing that type of thing. Donít be THAT guy.
Posted By: StuAzole

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/08/19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Coat Hanger

The muscles of the shoulder work in conjunction with and complimentary of each other. Why would you try and isolate the smaller weaker muscles (you can't) and ignore the larger and more powerful muscles? Why would you try (again, you can't) to create an imbalance in this necessary architecture?

Because with enough repetitive motion, the larger muscles will take over for the smaller muscles, leading to imbalance. Working smaller muscles in the rotator cuff isn't creating an imbalance, it's working to fix/avoid one.

See e.g., swimmers.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/09/19 12:00 AM

Swimming doesnít isolate any of the shoulder or focus stress on the rotator cuff muscles. Trying to isolate the muscles of the rotator cuff is unsafe because you wind up loading the muscles that arenít designed to carry load in that way.

When you use the shoulder joint in the way it was designed to be used, it is impossible to have muscle imbalances. Compound movements will always deliver the proper amount of stress to all the muscles in the shoulder group in the exact way the shoulder was designed to receive this stress.

Over use injuries of the shoulder are extremely common and are notoriously nagging. What are you going to do, not surf?

The best way to address a common case of shoulder tendinitis is to PROPERLY overhead press with a barbell, beginning with light weights and higher rep ranges, and increasing the weight while lowering the rep range over time. Once the subjective amount of relief is realized, begin to train your shoulders for strength because going through life like a weak female is only going to cause more issues.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/09/19 12:03 AM

BTW, muscle imbalances are bullshit. They simply donít happen unless you do something very specific to cause them.
Posted By: flyinraptr

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/09/19 12:09 AM

Good thread - i was dealing with shoulder issues all last season as well. Long story short - tried multiple therapies related to my shoulder that would provide some short term relief - but after a couple surf sessions the issues/pain would return. After doing some research - found some interesting articles on secondary pain - whereas issues with shoulder pain could be originating from the neck. So started incorporating some basic neck exercises to strengthen my neck. I had been previously informed by a chiropractor that i had a lot of scar tissue in my neck/shoulders (from a car accident over a decade ago). When i started doing the basic neck exercises i could literally hear the scar tissue crunching and breaking up. I was at the point where i was considering wearing a compression shoulder sleeve while surfing - after about a month of doing the neck strengthening exercises on a daily basis - i've noticed a huge difference with pain relief and range of motion - to the point of not needing the compression sleeve and noticing a lot more power/flexibility with paddling. Interestingly - a swell hit and i spent a lot of time in the water and stopped doing the daily routine for 3 or 4 days and lo and behold the shoulder pain returned - albeit not as severe. So for me to stay in the water - doing the basic neck exercises combined with static/yoga stretches etc - have to be part of my everyday routine. Looking back as i think about it - what is the most vulnerable part of your body when getting significantly pounded on a wave - to me has to be the neck. In fact - my shoulder issues began after doing a face plant on an OH sized wave - where i didn't get my arms in front me in time. I remember feeling an electrical shock from my neck all the way down my arm. So i think it makes sense to work on strengthening the neck muscles and so far i'm seeing some positive results.
Posted By: acnjusa

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/09/19 10:59 AM

when swimming embrace the recuperative powers of many flip-turns.

these also aid w/lower back problems.

not up to it? i teach now. momentum to wall. roll into cannonball. plant feet. push off. do a half twist.
repeat and tweak the act to your specs.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/09/19 12:02 PM

This week I had my first 100% pain free surf since June of 2017 when I first hurt it. Still a ways to go to get my speed and wind back but this was a big step to spend two hours in a restrictive 5mm wetsuit in cold water paddling, duck diving and surfing without the ice pick in the shoulder pain. No matter how much time you spend in the gym or in the pool there is no substitute for actually being on a surfboard.

Came across another simple exercise on YouTube in the video I posted above a couple of weeks ago that has helped a lot in a short period of time. Simply holding dumb bells in each hand with your palms forward, keeping your shoulders back in good posture, and gently swinging the dumb bells back and forth about 18 inches each way. When I first started I could only do 30 pound dumb bells for about 15 seconds at a time. Now I am up to the 60s. If you've never done this, give it a try. After you're done reach for the sky as high as you can. For me I feel a level of freedom in the shoulder joints I haven't had in ages. Static hangs helped me a lot and now adding this simple exercise to the mix has me feeling better than I have in a year and a half. Its as if the static hang and this new exercise have completely opened up the space where things were getting pinched and perhaps have broken up some scar tissue or simply let some remaining inflammation heal. Crossing my fingers that the progress continues.
Posted By: minterian

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/09/19 11:30 PM

Gromsdad, do yo mean with your palms facing inward? With my palms facing forward, the dumbbells hit the side of my legs or I have to swing them uncontrollably away from my body to clear my legs.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/10/19 12:23 AM

Palms forward. Yes you will have to keep them from hitting your legs a little bit. You're not swinging them hard so nothing should be out of control here. Total path of the dumbells is about 18 inches.....about 9 inches back and forth from the starting position. You're just gently rocking them back and forth in a motion like how you'd swing your arms while walking.

Clink link and watch: https://youtu.be/W-HMcC8qxRM?t=1549

Posted By: minterian

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/10/19 01:04 AM

Ok, iíll Give that a try. Thanks! Glad to hear you are doing better.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/10/19 05:31 AM

I watched for less than 60 seconds and learned that raising your chin up restores blood flow to the shoulder and swinging two kettlebells reforms the labrum. roflmao

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/12/19 12:47 PM

Whatever it does it certainly is helping me.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/12/19 06:19 PM

Whatever it does it certainly is helping me.

What it's doing is warming up the shoulder joint, which is the worlds best pain reliever.

Now ask yourself what you can do to avoid having regular life cause you so much pain.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/14/19 06:56 PM

I do believe this is doing a lot more than warming up the muscles. From what I've read about the static hang and swinging the weights is that combined they create space in the joint so impingement doesn't continue and swinging the weights helps pull the joint back into a normal position. Probably helping with the rounded over shoulder posture from sitting and driving 8 to 10 hours a day.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/15/19 03:42 AM

I do believe this is doing a lot more than warming up the muscles. From what I've read about the static hang and swinging the weights is that combined they create space in the joint so impingement doesn't continue and swinging the weights helps pull the joint back into a normal position. Probably helping with the rounded over shoulder posture from sitting and driving 8 to 10 hours a day.

There's no such thing as "space" in a joint.

Is it internal or external impingement?

You should read up on "Nocebo" then forget all the silly bullshit and go have some fun.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/16/19 12:28 PM

Please watch....Coat Hanger.

https://youtu.be/pmt7uSU3mmU

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/17/19 03:47 PM

Hey Coathanger, I'm curious what your qualifications are? I would be more inclined to consider your statements if I knew you had some expertise. The fact is my Physical Therapist included some exercises that seemed (to me) so easy (little arm circles while dangling the arm) that I kind of complained they were not exercise. They were much lighter that what is described above. The explanation he gave is exactly what you seem to refute- the light exercises work "positioning" muscles that can be over ridden by larger muscle groups if using weights or resistance.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/17/19 05:32 PM

patrolman, I started out doing the little circles with light weights just as you describe. I'm beyond that now and working on getting back the strength and stamina to surf for hours on end. For me I would say that the static hang was the single most beneficial thing for my particular injury. Took a couple of months before I could hang with my feet off the ground.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/17/19 07:15 PM

I'm not sure what the point of the video is. Anatomically the shoulder joint is designed to allow the arm to rise overhead.

One of the reasons a dead hang isn't the best choice for non specific shoulder pain is that there will be a natural urge to retract the scapula to provide stability and reduce pressure on the shoulder joint. This is a good thing because relaxing the joint under bodyweight can cause damage...unfortunately this increases the conditions that cause impingement.

Pressing weight overhead causes the scapula to rotate on it's own, as it's supposed to do which allows the joint to operate correctly and reduce impingement. You can increase this by shrugging your shoulders at the top, which will rotate the scapula further.

It's a good practice to get in for surfers. Shrugging the shoulder up while paddling will reduce stress on the joint.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/17/19 07:47 PM

Hey Coathanger, I'm curious what your qualifications are? I would be more inclined to consider your statements if I knew you had some expertise. The fact is my Physical Therapist included some exercises that seemed (to me) so easy (little arm circles while dangling the arm) that I kind of complained they were not exercise. They were much lighter that what is described above. The explanation he gave is exactly what you seem to refute- the light exercises work "positioning" muscles that can be over ridden by larger muscle groups if using weights or resistance.

I'm a partner in a small private strength and conditioning gym with two DR's. one Internal medicine and the other a DPT. About ten years ago they provided me an alternative to back surgery and the rest is history. Generally I'm just one of three staff trainers but do work with clients during the rehab process if they are cleared to train by the docs. Day to day I handle more of the business side of things but when I'm in town I'm training. Our shop is sport specific for athletes. It's not a rehab facility because rehab isn't the focus, but we do work through the day to day niggles that athletes get from time to time. We often have a short period of time to work with them and then it's mostly check ins. Quick and efficient.

I think common sense could be your guide here.

If you walk into just about any physical therapy office in the country you will see patients being treated for an awful disease called gravity by doing thing like assisted stand up out of chairs and assisted seated calf raises. Things like arm circles, body weight lying leg extensions, rolling balls with their feet etc. It's all bullshit.

It is anatomically impossible to have an imbalance between large muscles and those known as stabilizers unless of course you had a destructive injury that rendered the specific muscle useless. When you do anything physical your body handles the task one way. You aren't going to be able focus stress from large muscles to "stabilizers(I hate this term)" by adjusting the weight. There are however things a bad PT will do to stress the smaller muscles of the rotator cuff for instance, but these exercises are not helpful because the joint isn't made to work that way.

Compound movements stress the muscles, soft tissue and joints of the body perfectly and in balance in the exact way the body is supposed to handle external stress. Aches and pains are part of getting older. General strength increases and common sense help protect you from injury. When you're hurting you rest during the acute injury phase, then back off and work through it. Make sure your form in the movement is as precise as you can make it to reduce your chance of injury.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/17/19 10:50 PM

I'm not sure what the point of the video is. Anatomically the shoulder joint is designed to allow the arm to rise overhead.

One of the reasons a dead hang isn't the best choice for non specific shoulder pain is that there will be a natural urge to retract the scapula to provide stability and reduce pressure on the shoulder joint. This is a good thing because relaxing the joint under bodyweight can cause damage...unfortunately this increases the conditions that cause impingement.

Pressing weight overhead causes the scapula to rotate on it's own, as it's supposed to do which allows the joint to operate correctly and reduce impingement. You can increase this by shrugging your shoulders at the top, which will rotate the scapula further.

It's a good practice to get in for surfers. Shrugging the shoulder up while paddling will reduce stress on the joint.

Not sure what you are saying in that post but I can assure you that the static hang helped me immensely.

I wouldn't call my pain non-specific. I could put my finger right on it and when it was fired up it was like being stabbed with an ice pick.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/17/19 11:54 PM

Not sure what you are saying in that post but I can assure you that the static hang helped me immensely.

I wouldn't call my pain non-specific. I could put my finger right on it and when it was fired up it was like being stabbed with an ice pick.

Like I said previously, the best thing you can do for joint pain is to use it.

Anatomy is what it is though and dead hangs can have a tendency to be counter productive. If you like them great, I would suggest to allow your scapula to rotate while hanging which may not feel very natural.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/19/19 12:45 AM

I'm a partner in a small private strength and conditioning gym with two DR's. one Internal medicine and the other a DPT. About ten years ago they provided me an alternative to back surgery and the rest is history. Generally I'm just one of three staff trainers but do work with clients during the rehab process if they are cleared to train by the docs. Day to day I handle more of the business side of things but when I'm in town I'm training. Our shop is sport specific for athletes. It's not a rehab facility because rehab isn't the focus, but we do work through the day to day niggles that athletes get from time to time. We often have a short period of time to work with them and then it's mostly check ins. Quick and efficient.

If you walk into just about any physical therapy office in the country you will see patients being treated for an awful disease called gravity by doing thing like assisted stand up out of chairs and assisted seated calf raises. Things like arm circles, body weight lying leg extensions, rolling balls with their feet etc. It's all bullshit.

It is anatomically impossible to have an imbalance between large muscles and those known as stabilizers unless of course you had a destructive injury that rendered the specific muscle useless. When you do anything physical your body handles the task one way. You aren't going to be able focus stress from large muscles to "stabilizers(I hate this term)" by adjusting the weight. There are however things a bad PT will do to stress the smaller muscles of the rotator cuff for instance, but these exercises are not helpful because the joint isn't made to work that way.

Compound movements stress the muscles, soft tissue and joints of the body perfectly and in balance in the exact way the body is supposed to handle external stress. Aches and pains are part of getting older. General strength increases and common sense help protect you from injury. When you're hurting you rest during the acute injury phase, then back off and work through it. Make sure your form in the movement is as precise as you can make it to reduce your chance of injury.

Cool... So this stuff is basically your job. I'll consider your views more attentively now. Thanks.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/19/19 01:16 AM

Cool... So this stuff is basically your job. I'll consider your views more attentively now. Thanks.

It's more like a hobby. I'm lucky enough to work with very talented people and pitch in where I can.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/19/19 10:38 AM

It sounds like it's a hobby. Geez what a bunch of gobble goop. And no, I'm going to review each of your half truths. Hey, it's the internet everyone is an expert. My physician isn't really a doctor but he hangs out with them, he does it as kind of a hobby. socrazy
Posted By: Autoprax

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/19/19 02:46 PM

surfflex,

Would you say as general rule, movement without pain is the Rx.

That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Have you read Stuart Mcgills new book.

IF so, what do you think?

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/19/19 07:12 PM

Stuart Mcgill's book Lower Back Disorder is excellent.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/19/19 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: surfflexx
It sounds like it's a hobby. Geez what a bunch of gobble goop. And no, I'm going to review each of your half truths. Hey, it's the internet everyone is an expert. My physician isn't really a doctor but he hangs out with them, he does it as kind of a hobby. socrazy

Are you still acting as a sex surrogate for the elderly? sleezebag.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/20/19 11:32 PM

It'a a good read but I'm not sure you want to purchase the paper. The conclusion is that joint spacing and pain are not associated.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1063458418314158

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/22/19 01:54 AM

[quote=GromsDad]Please watch....Coat Hanger.

It'a a good read but I'm not sure you want to purchase the paper. The conclusion is that joint spacing and pain are not associated.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1063458418314158 [/quote

So there's really no such thing as bursitis?

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/22/19 06:07 AM

Yes, there is a such thing as bursitis....soft tissue injuries are real.

But joint spacing is something that has been used to diagnose the genesis of pain for years.....like using shoulder impingement as a catch all for describing joint pain. This diagnosis is more likely than not to cause pain rather than cure it.

Commission bias: results from the obligation towards beneficence, in that harm to the patient can only be prevented by active intervention. It is the tendency towards action rather than inaction. It is more likely in over-confident physicians.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/23/19 01:21 AM

The new one is aimed at the general pop.

I like it.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/26/19 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Autoprax

The new one is aimed at the general pop.

I like it.

He's great if you want to hear someone speak about really basic no duh type of things wrapped up in a bunch of semantics. It's something a lot of really bright and passionate people do.

The problem with this is that words matter....but don't take my word for it.

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/7/e014129

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 02/26/19 10:21 PM

Don't be like, doug. monkey
Posted By: freeride76

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/01/19 02:35 AM

what about Turkish Get Up's?

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/01/19 04:23 AM

Are you doing them?

I didn't used to get why people always said they are so great but you are hitting all kinds of planes of movement and those baby pattern things.

Natural Born Heroes is fun book about fitness. The TGU makes me think about it.

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/buy-natural-born-heroes-from-these-sellers/

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/01/19 04:46 AM

yeah, took me a while to figure the movements out, but it seems really good for shoulder stabilty and strength.

haven't had any shoulder issues for a while, touch wood.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/01/19 04:25 PM

I would suggest that someone with shoulder instability issues not use their arm as a weighted lever......but if a fun and challenging movement gets you there, more power to you.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/01/19 07:00 PM

copy that.

I never had shoulder instability issues......just what seemed like normal aches/overuse issues from a lifetime paddling.
Posted By: SurfDoc

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/13/19 01:11 PM

Elephants, monkeys, and spiders.
1. Elephant-hang arm down like an elephant's trunk. Relax as much as possible and gently swing arm in small circles
2. Monkeys-scratch/pat tummy, then scratch back of head
3. Spiders-crawl fingers up the wall standing sideways BUT ARM IN FRONT OF YOUR EAR.

Never reach above and behind the head. Too much stress on the shoulder joint.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/18/19 01:31 PM

Took a longboard and paddled a mile in the ocean yesterday morning. Went half a mile with the wind working against me and then back with the wind working in my favor. Pretty sore this morning. Hoping I didn't over do it and set myself back. Pain is not in the joint but rather in the Teres Minor and Infraspinatus muscles. No icepick stabbing pain like I had when the shoulder was really f-ed up.

Its amazing how swimming and work in the weight room really don't translate to paddling a surfboard. There really is no substitute for laying on a surfboard, holding your chest and head up, balancing with your core and paddling.

My plan is to paddle like this as much as I can regardless of the surf either in the bay behind my house or in the ocean now that we have the added daylight in the evenings.
Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/18/19 02:09 PM

I did the same. I've been re-habbing my knee and haven't been surfing. Paddled a couple of miles in the bay recently and I was really sore. A lot more than I thought. Bouced back quickly. I tweaked it loading stuff for camping the other weekend and that took a bit of time to settle down. Gotta keep that thing moving and the muscles conditioned.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/20/19 01:18 PM

Good news is that the pain went away after a couple of days so I'm guessing it was just that I was using those muscles in ways they weren't used to and that it wasn't the rotator cuff getting fired up again. Will paddle a mile again later today on a flat ocean (Lake Atlantic) and see how it goes. I'm one month out from a little surf road trip that I've been trying to prepare for.
Posted By: StinkinHippie

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/22/19 11:10 PM

If you do this upper back and back of your shoulder stretch before and after a surf, I guarantee you will not get all tight and hurt.

Lay out on floor. Arms out in front of you. Take your left arm and tuck it under your right arm. Palm up. Right arm still stretched out in front of you. Feel that stretch. The more you straighten your body, the more you feel it. Hold it 2 mins. 3 times. Before and after a surf.

This has helped me so much. Had a 700 yard paddle on my last surf trip to Mex. After surfing 90 mins, made that paddle over. First one there. 4 other good local surfers. In their 20s and 30s. I'm 49. Power. Once you really open those muscles up and you have full range of motion, you will see a big difference.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/23/19 11:32 AM

Trying to picture how to do the stretch you describe. No bueno. Got a link?

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/23/19 03:06 PM

Here is the video of the stretch referenced above: https://youtu.be/8nRCiYs9sOU
Posted By: Mr J

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 03/23/19 11:55 PM

I have to agree with Casa. See a professional.

Ö .

If surfing is really important to quality of life, then do this. Trying to self diagnose on the internet is likely to end up with either non optimal or non effective remedy.

I think a physiotherapist will be part of the professional help (may need referral from doc). My previous post was explaining what professionals have prescribed me. They may not be applicable to anyone here - although I'd be surprised if elastic band rotator cuff exercise would actually hurt anyone, but then I'm not a professional. Yes I really was prescribed heavy dumbbell exercises for instability from a physio who looks after 2 of Melbourne's (Australia's) top footy teams.

As a bit of background I've seen physios/docs for shoulder instability i.e dislocation (surgically repaired quite a long time ago). Rotator cuff sprains and broken collar bones from skateboarding. Shoulder dislocation/instability was surfing/windsurfing a long time ago. Broken collarbones from skateboarding - once about 10 years ago and caused slight separation in ac joint and a few years ago which did not make the separation any worse.

I've done more skateboarding than surfing over the last 15 years, but recently that situation has reversed and I'm doing more surfing than skating. While my shoulders aren't perfect (separation still showed under x-ray and nothing is ever exactly the same after surgery), I can surf heaps - been doing 6+ sessions a week done in 2 sessions per day without any shoulder pain during or after.
Posted By: StinkinHippie

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 04/05/19 03:27 AM

Who has tried this stretch?

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 04/08/19 01:29 PM

Funny or not so funny thing.......been busting my ass in the gym to rehab this thing and get back into shape. The original shoulder is almost 100%. Now the other shoulder has been fired up a bit for the past week. Guessing doing bench press even with light weights and many reps wasn't a good idea. Thinking that's what did it.
Posted By: heelnipstr

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 04/16/19 05:51 PM

This removed shoulder pain for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8RmajuI8g8

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 04/17/19 02:29 AM

I liked that video./

I wonder if you could do the same thing wit the hips?

I bet.
Posted By: heelnipstr

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 04/17/19 03:30 AM

This works for the hips also can be used for any aerial erotic auto asphyxiation actives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iv_Sk-PmOE

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 04/17/19 10:54 AM

I was having a problem with my right hip for quite a long time. Hurt to even sit on a surfboard. Two things fixed it.

1. Using the inner thigh machine at the gym. Doing this got rid of about 3/4 of the pain I'd been having. As the muscles around the hip got stronger I think the hip stayed in position in the socket better.
2. Laying on top of a tennis ball on the floor and moving my weight around so that the tennis ball finds all of the pain spots around the hip and upper thigh. Once I find a good pain spot I'll put my weight on it until it releases.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 04/17/19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by heelnipstr
This removed shoulder pain for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8RmajuI8g8

Hanging helped my shoulders tremendously. At first I couldn't even hold half of my body weight due to the pain. Probably took six months before I could comfortably take my feet off the floor. I still probably couldn't do the rocking side to side thing he does in that video. When I'm done hanging I have to carefully lower my arms because a few times when bringing my arms back down something pinched or clicked and it created a setback.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 04/22/19 04:42 AM

Posted By: SharkBoy

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 05/09/19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by GromsDad
Post em up. Working hard to come back from shoulder and hip problems. Got the hip pretty much resolved but the shoulder is still nagging a little. Been working hard in the weight room 4-5 days a week for two months, dropped a few pounds and gotten much much stronger. Still feeling shoulder impingement going on.....now I think because of my work in the weight room pulling my shoulders forward. Think I just need to balance things out a bit. Looking for what works.

All the rotator cuff excercises I did about 10-12 years ago made my shoulders way worse

Been doing snatches and overhead squats the last 3 years and all problems are gone.

I'm no doctor, but my hypothesis is that you pump those muscles out of proportion when you isolate them, over head barbell excercises strengthen the shoulders with what they are meant for....stability:
https://youtu.be/9xQp2sldyts
"<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9xQp2sldyts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>"

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 05/12/19 03:39 PM

I'm 49. Between hip and shoulder issues and the fear of ever hurting my back.....I wouldn't try to do the Snatch on a bet.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 05/13/19 04:09 AM

I'm 49. Between hip and shoulder issues and the fear of ever hurting my back.....I wouldn't try to do the Snatch on a bet.

I wouldn't recommend them for anyone in their late 30's or later but the benefits of increased strength on joint pain is undeniable.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 05/13/19 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by SharkBoy

All the rotator cuff excercises I did about 10-12 years ago made my shoulders way worse

Been doing snatches and overhead squats the last 3 years and all problems are gone.

I'm no doctor, but my hypothesis is that you pump those muscles out of proportion when you isolate them, over head barbell excercises strengthen the shoulders with what they are meant for....stability:
"<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9xQp2sldyts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>"

You can't isolate muscles....which is why the imbalance garbage is just silly bullshit. You can be inefficient, which non compound movements are, and do things that are outright bad for soft tissues, like rotator cuff exercises which you've experienced.
Posted By: SharkBoy

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 05/13/19 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Coat Hanger
Originally Posted by SharkBoy

You can't isolate muscles....which is why the imbalance garbage is just silly bullshit. You can be inefficient, which non compound movements are, and do things that are outright bad for soft tissues, like rotator cuff exercises which you've experienced.

makes sense, thanks.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 05/21/19 05:07 PM

Anybody know of PT's in the LA area, preferably South Bay, specialized in surfers with shoulder/neck issues?
Posted By: b.r.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 08/13/19 09:35 PM

I built an outdoor pull up bar so I can do the static hang, its kind of painful actually after about 30 seconds but I feel like it is helping with the impingement in my right shoulder, I feel like my cortisone shot from May is wearing off so I have been doing some PT at home, yoga, acupuncture, and swimming, I'm also surfing every other day instead of daily like i usually do when i'm off for the summer.

I still suffer from a weird pain that shoots down both my elbows and into my fingers some times, its kind of random but surfing and carrying a longboard on these small days definitely triggers it. years ago my xray or mri i cant remember which showed that it was related to my spinal issues (stenosis). cool thing is my back doesn't hurt at all anymore as my wife made us get a temperpedic bed and I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees so theres that.. the worse part of shoulder issues is you lose so much paddling power, i missed, been pitched, or pulled back on some good waves over the last couple years,

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 08/14/19 12:56 AM

the worse part of shoulder issues is you lose so much paddling power, i missed, been pitched, or pulled back on some good waves over the last couple years,

Yep. I can distance paddle at a moderate pace just fine. I'll take a longboard out and paddle a mile no problem. Sprint paddling on the other hand and digging hard to get into a wave that's throwing I've lost a step or two and am at the point where for me to ride a shortboard I need a wave that lets you in easy.

Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? - 08/14/19 02:37 AM

soft tissue work

duh
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting