Surfer.com

Swacked!

Posted By: RWVBWL

Swacked! - 01/11/19 01:51 PM

Seems like some~one got a lil'...
Goggans socks Chas Smith

Link~ie: https://beachgrit.com/2019/01/stab-editor-ashton-goggans-socks-chas-smith-day-one-surf-expo/

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 02:09 PM

ďHello, Ashton Goggans.Ē

He was not pleased. Not pleased at all and said, ďIím not shaking your hand.
Iím not shaking your fooking handÖĒ whilst getting very close to my face.

His face happened to be covered with a hypnotic sort of fuzz.
An almost shag carpet of fuzz and he was very close so I reached up to feel it. It was soft,
like it had been conditioned but he still was not pleased, nor should he have been, I suppose.
mad
Posted By: Waterlogged05

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 02:26 PM

HAHAHAHA
"We toasted the marvelous day. The fun booths and fun surf friends over our pizza dinner. I proposed a separate toast to Ashton Goggans. He had done right and he had done well vindicating himself and bringing honor back to what I imagine is a long line of proud Gogganses.

Iíll admit, though, Iím waiting for a midnight call from the Orlando police department. I hope that a page has been turned but one can never be entirely certain."

Chas is like that shithead friend you keep around because his antics are worth the headache ... sometimes
Posted By: manbearpig

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 02:34 PM

Where can I listen to the podcast that instigated this blow to the face?
Posted By: ifallalot

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 03:30 PM

The beanie is so bad
Posted By: 1whoknows

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 03:44 PM

The comments are awesome. ďYou got punched by a guy in a Popeye outfit...,Ē
Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Where can I listen to the podcast that instigated this blow to the face?

Ashton Goggins / Chas Smith podcast on Surf Splendor.

Well worth the listen.

Ashton basically can't handle the fact Chas pokes fun at STAB.

STAB used to be a great magazine with great content.

It is now almost all advertorial - if they had to put together a print issue they wouldn't be able to do so...it would make BLISSS! look like National Geographic.

So BeachGrit makes fun of STAB, as well as theInertia. Because they are both so worthy of mockery.

So Ashton decided to get personal with Chas during the podcast several times, Chas didn't return fire but told him to knock it off. Ashton continued so Chas eventually lunged across the table.

OH HOW IRONIC it is that the same Ashton who pressed charges against Chas over the incident now decides to punch him in the face.

crazy2

LOLOLOLOL

Posted By: potomus

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 06:55 PM

Chas is such a turd, and his second book sucked. But damn he really is just one of the greatest figures in surfing right now. If it was up to me I'd have him doing post heat interviews. It would be so amazing.

By the way, maybe it's just the hair and the freakishly long neck but he bears a certain resemblance to Wilbur Kookmeyer.
Posted By: BillyOcean

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ifallalot
The beanie is so bad

One time when I was like 13 I wore a beanie like that because I saw someone do it on MTV

My friendís older brother saw me and asked ďwhy are you wearing a condom on your head?Ē
Posted By: BillyOcean

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 07:13 PM

Iíve been thinking I need to go to more conventions
Posted By: craigj532

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 09:00 PM

Folks, you are being Kardashian-ed.

Start acting like adult men and ignore this gossipy, manufactured, reality-show, click-bait, make believe drama.
Posted By: Boneroni

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: craigj532
Folks, you are being Kardashian-ed.

Start acting like adult men and ignore this gossipy, manufactured, reality-show, click-bait, make believe drama.

applause2

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
Iíve been thinking I need to go to more conventions

My buddy did the trade show thing for awhile, and still has to go to some. Says its always a shit show.

Iíve been to a few (believe it or not) fly fishing shows looking for deals. Always end up with a belly full of whiskey and things I donít need.
Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 09:56 PM

It took me awhile to get used to kids dressing the way they do these days cause you can say that about any generation (well I don't know it's pretty bad now) but to see 30 plus year old men dress like that just cracks me up.

I just listened to chas smith for the first time. Didn't seem as bad as he's portrayed but I'm sure I don't know the whole deal.

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

I just listened to chas smith for the first time. Didn't seem as bad as he's portrayed but I'm sure I don't know the whole deal.

You do know the whole deal.

What you may not have known is most erBBers would rip the shit out of their very first wave at Kelly Slater's Surf Ranch, and Chas did not rip the shit out of his first wave at the KS Surf Ranch and instead rode down the line feeling it out, then pulled into the barrel, thus confirming Chas Smith is a kook.

edit:
BeachGrit has posted the footage we've been waiting for! applause2

Is that Eric Rumaner looking on with the coffee cup? confused2
And lookit Pyzel! roflmao

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 10:49 PM

Chas deserved to get punched after seeing that video.
Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 10:57 PM

It took me awhile to get used to kids dressing the way they do these days cause you can say that about any generation (well I don't know it's pretty bad now) but to see 30 plus year old men dress like that just cracks me up.

I know someone that got to surf it that is probably better than 90 percent of the people here and he said it was really hard at first.
Posted By: rts265

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 10:58 PM

things shouldn't get so out of control with bud light the only thing being served

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 11:16 PM

I know someone that got to surf it that is probably better than 90 percent of the people here and he said it was really hard at first.

Everyone I know who has been have been industry people who surf pretty well.
All of them have told me it's pretty difficult at first.
I have seen footage of them trying to get the hang of it and they indeed were struggling.

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: rts265
things shouldn't get so out of control with bud light the only thing being served

They serve liquor there too.

I think both of them were probably drunk.

Re: Swacked! - 01/11/19 11:21 PM

View this post on Instagram

Yeah, this happened a few months back. Thatís @jamiebrisick up first, flexing the tail off his poor olí CI, then @surfersjournalís @brendon_thomas getting lipped, and me scamming the inside runner before @boardroomshow got all excited and chandeliered me 🙄😉. Thanks to @kellyslater for inventing this ridiculous toy, and to @daveprodan and the @wsl for the incredible generosity and hospitality. What a trip, man. Video by @surfsplendor

A post shared by Ashton Goggans (@ashtonsealegs) on

Re: Swacked! - 01/12/19 02:08 AM

You do not touch any man like this
especially if there are problems between ya.

I would not have stopped swingin' until pulled off. Would you?
And do any of you boyz think AG is in thee wrong here?
Oh gee, he wore a yellow bean~ie instead of black 1,
Pfffft...

****************************************************************************************************************************

Posted By: Big_Ups

Re: Swacked! - 01/12/19 02:47 AM

Come on guys. Not in front of the Songs of The Scuttled booth. bigdeal
Posted By: Muscles

Re: Swacked! - 01/12/19 02:54 AM

Chas reminds me of my best friend. Just a real life troll that knows how to get under people's skin. Chas cracks me up.
Posted By: tacos

Re: Swacked! - 01/12/19 07:06 PM

Easy, just drink 10 to 20 of them. Thereís still alcohol in bud light shrug
Posted By: Jeepnkal

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 04:04 AM

"watch stab editor ashton goggans sock chas smith"

that was a closed fist slap. by both person's actions/reactions im guessing neither has ever been in a real fight. I find the people around them non reaction to the scuffle funny. Its like there are saying to themselves 'if i dont look than nothing is happening'.
Posted By: tenover

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 04:37 AM

That's Pyzel there, around the 0:11 mark, no?
Posted By: tenover

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 04:46 AM

**Whoops, double post**
Posted By: HarryLopez

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 04:47 AM

Wow, Olive Oil sure can take a slap! She does have bigger tatas than I remember in the movie. dancing
Posted By: ko25ok

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: tenover
That's Pyzel there, around the 0:11 mark, no?

Thatís him. Thereís posts all over Instagram about Pyzel being there
Posted By: sd_101

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 08:10 AM

Thatís it. Iím touching Chasí face next time I spot him at Seaside.

Side note, Chas looks really creepy in real life. Like extra slimy but I think thatís what heís going for. His look is too intentional to be an accident.

Edit: I wonder how many boards Pyzel will sell because of this. Talk about a visit to surf expo paying off in terms of free PR.
Posted By: Duffy

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 01:39 PM

Whatís with the 1970ís fisherman look these days?

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Duffy

I miss the 90s

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 05:30 PM

Harold Hunt (RIP) jam_on

Used to skate with him when I was in high school. He was cool

Edit: just realized thatís a pic from ĎKidsí.
Posted By: sussle

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: potomus
But damn he really is just one of the greatest figures in surfing right now.

really? why?

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 07:41 PM

I miss the 90s

Probably deserves a separate thread... but did you see Mid90s? (Also to manbearpig) I thought it was great and felt it hit closer to home than Kids.

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 07:43 PM

Its on Netflix, right? I have been meaning to watch it

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 07:51 PM

Its on Netflix, right? I have been meaning to watch it

I donít think so. I streamed it last week on Kodi but I think you can ďrentĒ for $5 on iTunes now. Like Kids, it really nailed all the skate nuances.

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: tacos

I miss the 90s

Probably deserves a separate thread... but did you see Mid90s? (Also to manbearpig) I thought it was great and felt it hit closer to home than Kids.

Looking forward to mid90s. Kind of surprised to hear you say that as most have been saying it didnít live up to kids but I bet itís a nostalgic thing for many.

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 08:08 PM

Itís different and I think Jonah Hill admitted that too. Supposed to be more of an uplifting film about growth and coming of ageówhere as Kids is more nihilistic. I felt Mid90s was more emotionally heavy than Kids, if that makes sense. Itís still worth watching even if it doesnít live up to Kids.

I still want to see footage of Jonah Hill landing a kick flip.

Re: Swacked! - 01/13/19 08:35 PM

Yeah thatís probably another issue with the reviews I heard. Itís obviously not a remake.

I could have sworn I saw a clip of him doing a kick flip, or maybe it was a funny edit to mess with people.

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: sussle
Originally Posted By: potomus
But damn he really is just one of the greatest figures in surfing right now.

really? why?

Because he's funny... hmmm, well if not funny, at least entertaining, He's a gifted writer with a sharp wit. And because he brings levity to a sport that takes itself too seriously. In fact IMO every sport takes itself too seriously. I think surfing is lucky have someone who is willing to take a punch to keep us entertained.

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 08:12 AM

I will credit his writing style as entertaining. Not sure if heís knocking off someone else but surely a lot of surf writers are emulating him.

Wish he didnít have to strive for new content sometimes. It must be hard with all the doors that closed on him after the first couple years at BG. When BG was new, it was worth reading. Now, itís more like click bait or STAB with more ads.

To be fair, STAB pretty much poached his writers (who may or may not have been paid sufficiently). Just wish BG didnít have such invasive ads.

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: sd_101
Wish he didnít have to strive for new content sometimes. It must be hard with all the doors that closed on him after the first couple years at BG. When BG was new, it was worth reading. Now, itís more like click bait or STAB with more ads.

Him and others give the mainstream surf media a hard time for catering to the industry. But, he's become an example of what happens when you don't.
Posted By: LelandCuz

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 10:02 AM

Harold Hunt (RIP) jam_on

Edit: just realized thatís a pic from ĎKidsí.

I think it was Hunter.
Damn, did you also skate with Mike Perietti? I used to date his little sister and hung with that crew (mostly Zoo Yorkers) sometimes.

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 01:55 PM

Yeah itís hunter foreheadslap dumb mistake on my end.

Iím sure I ran into him. We skated with a lot of the zoo York crew. My crew was a bit younger but weíd all skate autumn bowl a ton together, and often inadvertently ran into them in the city skating or at parties. If heís skated the bowl, an NYC staple which is now gone, weíve definitely crossed paths.

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 02:05 PM

Harold Hunt (RIP) jam_on

RIP name drop and don't even know his name lol rolleyes

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 02:14 PM

Totes bro! Got me ya winner!

He was a cool dude. Him and Zared Basset would actually bullshit with us quite a bit which was pretty cool when youíre a young skater. Good times at that bowl. I could name drop some more but I wouldnít want to offend the walking rolodex with mistaking someoneís name.

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 02:20 PM

Yeah itís hunter foreheadslap dumb mistake on my end.

Iím sure I ran into him. We skated with a lot of the zoo York crew. My crew was a bit younger but weíd all skate autumn bowl a ton together, and often inadvertently ran into them in the city skating or at parties. If heís skated the bowl, an NYC staple which is now gone, weíve definitely crossed paths.

A bit younger? How old are you? The guy would have been staring at 50 by now. roflmao

It's gone from you actually skated with him to you think you actually skated with him. Which is it?

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 02:24 PM

I could name drop some more but I wouldnít want to offend the walking rolodex with mistaking someoneís name.

He's the most famous skateboarder in the history of NYC (somehow, despite his comparative lack of talent), you butchered his name, you said you guys used to hang out out and skate together. And then walked it back.

That's funny. hah

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 03:20 PM

Reading comprehension, use it.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 03:54 PM

Thread hijacked.

There is no way in hell that Mid90s can compare to Kids. I havenít seen Mid90s. But come on ... comparing Jonas Hill (whose movies I enjoy) to Larry Clark and Harmony Korine? I was in the middle of that era 100% skateboarder. Kids nailed it for better and worse. Mostly worse.

Didnít the white dood main character in Kids commit suicide after his wife slept with Guy Mariano? Sad. The mid90s was in many ways a low point in skateboarding.

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 05:51 PM

jesus, dont drop names and don't tell the dims of your boards, those are the 2 rules of the erBB.

roflmao

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 06:23 PM

Sensitive topics bro foreheadslap roflmao

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 06:49 PM

oh, don't name spots.
Posted By: rice

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Well worth the listen.

roflmao You have got to be kidding! foreheadslap roflmao

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 07:21 PM

My reading comprehension was spot on.

You wrote what you wrote.

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: rice

Well worth the listen.

roflmao You have got to be kidding! foreheadslap roflmao

So you listened to it?

I'm a fan of humor and sideshows.
Posted By: rice

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 07:25 PM

I tried.
Posted By: FecalFace

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 07:33 PM

Why is it not surprising that Caca knows every single gossip detail about this incident involving two people nobody gives a shit about?

Re: Swacked! - 01/14/19 08:08 PM

My reading comprehension was spot on.

You wrote what you wrote.

Maybe try again and pay attention to who I was responding too in regards to potential mutual friends. You can do this!

Didnít think a little nostalgia (with a minor spelling error) over a past aquaintance would cause someone to get so pissy roflmao
Posted By: maybe

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 02:46 AM

Pretty sad state of affairs when two kooks, one from Oregon and one from wherever, have a voice in "surfing" affairs.

Let's settle this. Can someone please post the best clips of either of these two guys surfing.
Posted By: Hdip

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:07 AM

Ashton

Chas

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:47 AM

So, based on the above clips, they are both competent surfers. Whoopidoo, 1/3 the surfers at my local surf that good. Why the fvck are these two kooks relevant?

One is wearing a god-awful yellow beanie in Orlando... the other, bragging about wearing Ralph Lauren shoes when someone asks if they are Vans.

Someone with obvious talent, like Curren or Gerlach, should be running those sites.
Posted By: Hdip

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 04:57 AM

Those who can't do, coach, uhm, write.
Posted By: freeride76

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 05:03 AM

Surfing and writing, two different skill sets.

I'll take my surfing advice from Gerlach, but I'd rather be entertained by the writing of a writer like Chas.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 05:39 AM

"Chas" is a random ding dong who sucked off someone for blog privileges. He's a nobody kook. Him and the other condom wrapper - wearing the yellow beanie, should have a suck-off.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: maybe

the other, bragging about wearing Ralph Lauren shoes when someone asks if they are Vans.

It's precisely one of the reasons I like his writing. I enjoy the absurd.

This piece was genius:
https://www.surfer.com/surfing-magazine-...on-a-surf-trip/

The shit he wrote for STAB, especially when he was covering the ASP, was genius as well. To bad that material was wiped from STAB's website.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 05:53 AM

"Chas" is a random ding dong who sucked off someone for blog privileges. He's a nobody kook.

He's actually a former English professor who has written for major publications outside of surf.

"Born in San Jose, California in 1976, Smithís family uprooted and landed in Coos Bay, Oregon where he learned to surf. After studying intercultural studies in undergrad, Smith graduated with a masterís in linguistics, going on to study in Egypt and at Oxford. Following a story he published in Australia Surfing Life about surfing in Yemen in the wake of 9/11, Smith went on to report in Lebanon, Somalia, Israel-Palestine, and wound up a captive of Hezbollah reporting for Current TV. In the early-aughts, Smith worked for Vice. Soon, he joined Stab magazine at the behest of Derek Rielly, then editor-in-chief, and they set in on an unparalleled era in surf journalism. Some of Stabís more controversial content garnered unsavory public spats that earned Smith some anti-Semitic epithets, and then in 2014, Smith and Reilly began Beach Gritóa deep well of incendiary, tongue-in-cheek honesty drenched in satire, sans filter. Heís now a regular contributor to The Surferís Journal, with bylines at Esquire and Playboy, and the author of Paradise, Now Go to Hell, a cultural vignette of Oahuís North Shore, which was a finalist for the PEN Center USA Award for Nonfiction."

Quote:
the other condom wrapper - wearing the yellow beanie

aka Ashton Goggans

He's a former NSSA surfer from Nokomis, Florida and a former columnist at a local Sarasota Newspaper. He's also written advertising copy for TheGap clothing roflmao which is perfect considering STAB is now 90% advertorial.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 06:12 AM

They are both bitch clowns... Stab and Beachgrit are reduced to jokes until they pony up for real talent.
Posted By: Autoprax

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 06:16 AM

I think he was just a lecturer.

What they now call "part time temporary faculty."

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 06:29 AM

Adjunct Faculty is the term you're struggling for.

Ding Dong Kook is the more appropriate term.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 08:10 AM

I donít get the hate. Sure, heís a little rough around the edges but dude is a legit word slinger.

Given how many writers interested in writing about surfingdonít have color, Chas has his own flavor. Itís harder to do than one would think.

As someone who almost failed the subject A requirement, only to get pushed through by my (adjunct) professor once he found out I wasnít pursuing the literary arts, I can respect an individual creating their own written voice.

Chas has talent, whether you like the guy or not.

Still standing by that he looks like a total creeper in the supermarket.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 01:08 PM

I like Chas. Iíve read his books. Hope he writes about his Middle East adventure.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 02:01 PM

Turns out unbeknownst to Chas he got in David Lee Scales's face immediately prior lol. roflmao

Apparently his beef with David goes back a year ago to when David was contacted by a seemingly reluctant Orange Clownie Sheriff's deputy about the podcast. He told the sheriff it was a "non-altercation" in a physical sense between Chas and Ashton and that there was no way he would testify in court about it.

Later on his podcast he said in previous eras that kind of stuff would have never been taken to the cops and if it had the cops would have never gotten involved...and that the fact the cops even got involved over a non-incident shows how pussified society is becoming.

Apparently Ashton did not appreciate that and he tried to push David to come to blows with him over it at the trade show.

The trade show incident will be Ashton's legacy. Congratulations, Ashton.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 02:36 PM

Turns out unbeknownst to Chas he got in David Lee Scales's face immediately prior lol. roflmao

Apparently when David was contacted by a seemingly reluctant Orange Clownie Sheriff's deputy he told the incident on the podcast was a "non-altercation" in a physical sense between Chas and Ashton and that there was no way he would testify in court about it.

Later on his podcast he said in previous eras that kind of stuff would have never been taken to the cops and if it had the cops would have never gotten involved...and that the fact the cops even got involved over a non-incident shows how pussified society is becoming.

Apparently Ashton did not appreciate that.

Just to be clear, Ashton got into David's face?

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 02:44 PM

Apparently when David was contacted by a seemingly reluctant Orange Clownie Sheriff's deputy he told the incident on the podcast was a "non-altercation" in a physical sense between Chas and Ashton and that there was no way he would testify in court about it.

Apparently Ashton did not appreciate that.

Just to be clear, Ashton got into David's face?

Yes, at the tradeshow.
Posted By: Scallywag

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 02:50 PM

Whatever happened to Lewis Samuels anyways?
Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 02:50 PM

So Ashton can't write, Chas can't surf, and they both seem to fight almost as poorly as I do.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit
So Ashton can't write

You better hope he doesn't read that. fight

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Scallywag

charging

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:19 PM

major backfire for ashton IMO

roflmao

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:22 PM

So Ashton can't write

You better hope he doesn't read that. fight

I said I fight poorly; not that I'd get tough-guy'd by some fashionista hipster and call the cops. shameonyou

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:25 PM

It's obvious Ashton has never been in a real fight in his life, or this was all choreographed.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:25 PM

Turns out unbeknownst to Chas he got in David Lee Scales's face immediately prior lol.
<snip>

So there was more to the story, groovy.
Wonder why this wasn't 1st made public?
Do you know who video'd thee incident? Was it edited, previous scenes deleted?

Casa_mugrienta,
you ok if some~one comes up to you and puts his hands on your face?
Just curious...

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:26 PM

was ashton hitting the full bar? looks like the holidays with my family roflmao
Posted By: GromsDad

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:28 PM

"Chas" is a random ding dong who sucked off someone for blog privileges. He's a nobody kook. Him and the other condom wrapper - wearing the yellow beanie, should have a suck-off.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: RWVBWL

Casa_mugrienta,
you ok if some~one comes up to you and puts his hands on your face?
Just curious...

That's not the way it happened.

It was Ashton who first touched his nose to Chas's nose.

Perhaps it awakened a homo impulse in Chas?

Posted By: OneWorldEd

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: GromsDad

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you guys "maybe" have Chas envy.

Because I've earned the right to ramble here inhoherently, I'll name drop here a bit. I hung w/Chas, Warshaw, Scales and Fla Surf Film Fest head honcho Kevin Miller at this past Surf Expo. Shot the shit with Bassy too, who seemed by laser focused and very distracted, having flown out to Florida on a redeye and then left back for SD the same day. Really enjoyed hanging with all of them. I missed the Chas dustup unfortunately but did have the chance to see Ashton and Chas within feet of each other (and largely ignoring each other) when Stab presented its 'Black Boards' movie. Which was quite entertaining, but a little long. It was funny to see how nervous the shapers who contributed boards were. Shit, I would be.

I never met DLScales or Chas in person before this and liked em both a lot. Chas very funny. Funnier than about anyone at the Expo I reckon. He strikes me as mildly insecure about his strange position in the surf world, but he's self-deprecating and, in person at least, is interested in hearing the opinions of other folks at least as much as his own. He was hilariously agog when GT told him about his wife punching out a girl years ago at ASR. She had never told him that story. So Chas's wife has thrown fists at a surf trade show, and Chas has received fists at a surf trade show. Arguably a first for a couple.

Chas just had major shoulder surgery so I don't blame him for not wanting to scrap w/Mr. Goggans. Though I don't think he'd have scrapped even if he was fully healthy. I mean, if I was Ashton I'd have probably punched him because he arguably deserved it. And Chas seemed to know he deserved it. I thought Chas surfed the Wave Ranch's wave pretty well btw. He dislocated his shoulder on that ride.

There's a reason Warshaw and Smith call one another friends. Chas recognizes a superior intellect, and thus calls on Warshaw regularly for his opinions. Warshaw's not beholden to the surf industry and so, is glad to have a hilltop on which to pontificate. I reckon neither give two shits whether GromsDad or "maybe" believe Chas and Ashton should participate in a suck off.
Posted By: GromsDad

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 04:10 PM

I give the guy props for only throwing one punch and not three. Clearly he deserved it.

On a side note, last week there was a guy killed by a single punch after he asked a guy to leash his dog in a park in Philadelphia. A single punch. One guy dead and the other going to prison.
Posted By: the janitor

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 04:37 PM

I like Chas. Iíve read his books. Hope he writes about his Middle East adventure.

he wrote a couple of articles about them, this thread has a few links to some of them:

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2253378&page=2
Posted By: 000

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 06:59 PM

neither guy sound like someone i'd like to be around

i read chas say somewhere that he came at goggins with some sort of elbow strike, prior to the start of the video clip, which is why he got punched. sounds deserved.

chas had attempted to choke the guy on air once.

neither appeared to want to have an actual fight in that video

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 07:23 PM

if chas threw some kind of elbow that changes things for me

ashton looks pretty bad/pathetic in the video

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 07:32 PM

Weisberg would beat the piss out of both of them, full stop.

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 07:53 PM

Everyone who see Chaz should say, "How's your wife?"

Re: Swacked! - 01/15/19 10:42 PM

Weisberg would beat the piss out of both of them, full stop.

Wasn't Weisberg a pro wrestler?

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 03:26 AM

OneWorld...

Sorry I if offended you or your buds. However, to assume that I'm "jealous" of either one of those ding dongs is absolute absurdity.

It's says a lot about the surf industry when these two have such a voice in the media. Neither are exceptional at anything surfing related, yet we have to be subjected to them.

Just a shame that legitimate ones like Curren, Gerlach, Slater... don't write or speak out more.

"Chas" from Oregon, who looks like he's trying to kick smack, while criticizing the best.. he reminds me a little of Bob Costas. Someone with little talent who criticized Michael Jordan and other pros...
I guess those that can do, do... those who can't... gossip about those who can.

Originally Posted By: OneWorldEd
Originally Posted By: GromsDad

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you guys "maybe" have Chas envy.

Because I've earned the right to ramble here inhoherently, I'll name drop here a bit. I hung w/Chas, Warshaw, Scales and Fla Surf Film Fest head honcho Kevin Miller at this past Surf Expo. Shot the shit with Bassy too, who seemed by laser focused and very distracted, having flown out to Florida on a redeye and then left back for SD the same day. Really enjoyed hanging with all of them. I missed the Chas dustup unfortunately but did have the chance to see Ashton and Chas within feet of each other (and largely ignoring each other) when Stab presented its 'Black Boards' movie. Which was quite entertaining, but a little long. It was funny to see how nervous the shapers who contributed boards were. Shit, I would be.

I never met DLScales or Chas in person before this and liked em both a lot. Chas very funny. Funnier than about anyone at the Expo I reckon. He strikes me as mildly insecure about his strange position in the surf world, but he's self-deprecating and, in person at least, is interested in hearing the opinions of other folks at least as much as his own. He was hilariously agog when GT told him about his wife punching out a girl years ago at ASR. She had never told him that story. So Chas's wife has thrown fists at a surf trade show, and Chas has received fists at a surf trade show. Arguably a first for a couple.

Chas just had major shoulder surgery so I don't blame him for not wanting to scrap w/Mr. Goggans. Though I don't think he'd have scrapped even if he was fully healthy. I mean, if I was Ashton I'd have probably punched him because he arguably deserved it. And Chas seemed to know he deserved it. I thought Chas surfed the Wave Ranch's wave pretty well btw. He dislocated his shoulder on that ride.

There's a reason Warshaw and Smith call one another friends. Chas recognizes a superior intellect, and thus calls on Warshaw regularly for his opinions. Warshaw's not beholden to the surf industry and so, is glad to have a hilltop on which to pontificate. I reckon neither give two shits whether GromsDad or "maybe" believe Chas and Ashton should participate in a suck off.
Posted By: _____

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 03:41 AM

OneWorld...

Just a shame that legitimate ones like Curren, Gerlach, Slater... don't write or speak out more.

Man, as a major social media influencer, and after watching the Joe Rogan podcast and his misinformed "facts", + the pleasured willy wonka lifestyle he deservedly enjoys but 99.99999 are out of touch with,... I wish Slater would stfu more.

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 04:12 AM

Yeah, I thought 4 times about taking Slater's name outta that post... but he has every right to blab on to eternity...

the two condom wrappers are indicative of surfing "culture" and the world in general.

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 04:20 AM

Quote:
yet we have to be subjected to them

roflmao

Who is subjecting you to them? Donít like it donít look.

You make it sound like that scene in clockwork orange.

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 04:21 AM

Almost wonder if Chas is reading this and giggling

https://beachgrit.com/2019/01/memory-lan...s-neil-ridgway/

Not reporting on the results of the event, but the event itself.
Posted By: Coat Hanger

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 04:38 AM

Chas is a throwback to when surf was counter culture and very independent. Ashton is a modern day hipster wannabe....which seems to be what's thriving in the industry today.

Who would you rather be stuck with on a boat trip?
Posted By: mundus

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 01:30 PM

Chaz was the only guy with balls to write about the "real North Shore" and is an intelligent writer. Chaz also admits he deserved the punch and didn't call the cops or anything weak like that.
Posted By: ElOgro

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: mundus
Chaz was the only guy with balls to write about the "real North Shore" and is an intelligent writer. Chaz also admits he deserved the punch and didn't call the cops or anything weak like that.

That book was garbage.
Posted By: mundus

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 03:35 PM

Opinions vary.
Posted By: Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto

Re: Swacked! - 01/19/19 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Scallywag

charging

Can confirm. Surfed quite a few days with him this winter, none below 10'.

Re: Swacked! - 01/20/19 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Coat Hanger

Who would you rather be stuck with on a boat trip?

I would prefer not to.
Posted By: sushipop

Re: Swacked! - 01/20/19 03:40 PM

Someone please embed me
Posted By: the janitor

Re: Swacked! - 01/20/19 06:04 PM

© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting