Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 05:30 AM

Let's take a little walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDaQ_UMV1zw

drunk
Posted By: Autoprax

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 06:10 AM

Posted By: patrolman

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 02:51 PM

We go to Little Tokyo about twice a month to eat Japanese food. It's amazing what happens in the space of a couple blocks. The homeless are there because the services are there. I used to be part of a group that would feed homeless people, but we would go and find other pockets away from the skid row/mission area. Homeless folks with kids obviously avoid that area and those are the ones we would seek out. Once while giving out food some LAPD officers told us not to. "They are like dogs and if you keep bringing food they will keep coming." The large presence in skid row kind of confirms that.

If I recall correctly the homeless population boomed when Reagan cut subsidies for the mentally ill. I don't remember it being as big a problem before. After that it never went away. When you walk around that area you can sense that a lot of them are mentally ill. I always wondered, "Are the homeless because they are mentally ill? Or are they mentally ill because they are homeless?"
Posted By: Mr Doof

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: patrolman
If I recall correctly the homeless population boomed when Reagan cut subsidies for the mentally ill. I don't remember it being as big a problem before. After that it never went away. When you walk around that area you can sense that a lot of them are mentally ill. I always wondered, "Are the homeless because they are mentally ill? Or are they mentally ill because they are homeless?"

Two questions, short answer to both: Yes.

Two questions, longer answer: Yes, but you have to add other factors likes drug use, drug addiction, drug induced psychosis, poor education, poor decision making, unlucky event(s) pushing someone over (like a lost job and no savings/family to fall back on, etc), crime related effects, sex trade, blah blah blah.

Posted By: GDaddy

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 06:18 PM

At this point the working poor are literally getting priced out of their apartments. Most people are spending much larger percentages of their income on housing than they were even 10 years ago. Not just in LA proper, but everywhere in the region.

Typical rents for 1bd apartments in So Central Los Angeles in 2005 were in the $500-$600 range for the older units. As of this morning in Craigslist, the lowest priced 1bd is listed for $1100, and there's only the one listing at that price. The majority of 1bd units start at $1275/mo and go from there. So rents have easily doubled in the least desirable part of town. There's nothing we can do with incomes that would keep pace.
Posted By: RWVBWL

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 06:48 PM

Build Thee Wall, All around California!
it'll help keep them migrants out from thee other contiguous 47 states who might be comin' here to the 5th largest economy(*) in the world from entering, people who might have wanted to get a better job, improve their lives, surf even, but probably found it too darn expensive to get a pad, car, insurance, furniture, so they now are slummin' it. We don't want~cha, right?

Los Angeles is what,
the 2nd biggest city in the country? Is it only L.A.{?} who has this street~urchin problem,
where heck, thee trolls also smoke marijuana as they try to survive livin' on the streets?
Bet those pep's also drink a cold~ie or 2 also, might probably explain that smell of urine
the dude in your vid sniffed, or is it just a lack of public toilets, err porta~potties for them poor pep's?
Hmmmm. hah

(*) ~ 5th Largest
https://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article210466514.html

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 08:17 PM

All the action is in the margins. Adding even 5% more housing units would have a big impact on rents so long as they were replacing like for like. Or, reducing demand. Deport some jobs and you deport their workers, too. If the illegals left there would be plenty of housing in LA. Same with any other population group that comprises 6% of the population.
Posted By: jkb

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 08:29 PM

They seem nice shrug

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: GDaddy
If the illegals left there would be plenty of housing in LA. Same with any other population group that comprises 6% of the population.

^^^ Question:
How do you know that those people sleepin' on the streets of down~town L.A.
in tents or kickin' it out~side on their curb in that linked vid
are illegal immigrants?

Old L.A. history:

+ from further south:

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 08:38 PM

I didn't say that. At all. What I'm saying is that if you reduced the population by 5% that would be of effect on rents. And schools. And services. And other vital resources.

I was doing some work for a non-profit in So Central last year and the director told me that the homeless population in that area had increased by over 20% in the previous year. That doesn't imply to me an increase in crazy people.
Posted By: manbearpig

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 08:40 PM

What percentage of housing is taken up by illegal immigrants?

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 08:41 PM

If they're 6% of the population in this state it's probably more in the urban areas. They're all living somewhere.

With respect to redevelopment trends one disconnect I see is that when a property that is improved with (let's say) a 4-plex of 1bd units gets redeveloped, it doesn't get replaced with 1bd units. It gets replaced with much larger 2bd and 3bd units. We end up with a an ongoing *reduction* of the number of entry level units when what we probably need more of are the really small studios and 1bd units.
Posted By: patrolman

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 08:50 PM

I would say that African Americans are over represented in the skid row area. And yes a lot of substance abuse.

What's new in LA with the housing crisis are all the old RVs parked everywhere. I guess the choice between living in an old RV or van and living on the streets is a no brainer. LA just passed an ordinance and I think the RVs are relegated to industrial areas. I was in Gardena the other day to pick up a blank from US blanks and the streets were lined with RVs. On PCH near Sunset Blvd there was an area with lots of them too. All throughout Venice. Those are just areas I've travelled through recently. I'm sure it's widespread.

I've heard it is a phenomenon also in the PNW...

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 09:16 PM

<snip>
On PCH near Sunset Blvd there was an area with lots of them too.
<snip>

I look for breachin' sharks around that area, shark
and can tell ya that Rusty + his LAPD boyz do a great job keepin' the rv's outta Thee Palisades,
what you are writin' of is up near Mastro's Ocean Club right before a surfer reachs Topanga. For some reason the Malibu sheriffs do not crack down on those poor pep's livin' 24/7 below the folks who own homes up above in Sunset Mesa. Gotta put 'em some~where, right?

See ya'all,
a bro from OB, down south,
named $ is in town today, gonna try to surf some small L.A. storm slop,
might take a pic or 2 of him. Have a good one...
wave2

PSS ~ 'Twas kinda fun here in L.A. with only 2 other pep's in the water a lil' while ago:

+

jam_on

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 09:26 PM

I would say that African Americans are over represented in the skid row area. And yes a lot of substance abuse.

What's new in LA with the housing crisis are all the old RVs parked everywhere. I guess the choice between living in an old RV or van and living on the streets is a no brainer. LA just passed an ordinance and I think the RVs are relegated to industrial areas. I was in Gardena the other day to pick up a blank from US blanks and the streets were lined with RVs. On PCH near Sunset Blvd there was an area with lots of them too. All throughout Venice. Those are just areas I've travelled through recently. I'm sure it's widespread.

I've heard it is a phenomenon also in the PNW...

RV living on the streets is a nationwide thing.
Posted By: stu dog

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 09:43 PM

If they're 6% of the population in this state it's probably more in the urban areas. They're all living somewhere.

With respect to redevelopment trends one disconnect I see is that when a property that is improved with (let's say) a 4-plex of 1bd units gets redeveloped, it doesn't get replaced with 1bd units. It gets replaced with much larger 2bd and 3bd units. We end up with a an ongoing *reduction* of the number of entry level units when what we probably need more of are the really small studios and 1bd units.

or update the requirement that 10-20% of new buildings have to have affordable units. that ends up being about 1 unit in new building that's renting 2 bedrooms for $4K/month. The take away I got from KCRW's pretty extensive month long reporting this summer on housing is rents are going up like crazy mostly due to the tech industry coming to LA (Amazon, Google, SnapChat, etc) with higher paying salaries pushing out middle income renters & families from the urban core. combined with an overall low supply. now those lower income people are pushed way out to suburbs & beyond having to commute 2hrs nearly one way each day.
Posted By: frvcvs

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 09:45 PM

I'm finding more and more in the encampments I ride through that I'm seeing lots of upper middle aged men and women (late 50's to early 70's) who look less like your typical addict or unmedicated psych patient and more like people who are down on their luck and were living paycheck to paycheck and fell out of the job market without a safety net. Sad times. Lots of things are contributing to this problem. It's a shame that people on both sides of the political spectrum don't seem particularly interested in addressing this is issue beyond pointing fingers.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/07/19 11:41 PM

As I say, the thing that concerns me is that most projects are replacing smaller units with much larger units. Which, that's a no-brainer for a developer.

Seeing as how they now want to increase densities in the residential neighborhoods that might be an opportunity to *limit* the accessory dwelling units in these single family neighborhoods to more basic housing and smaller units that will have less impact on their neighborhoods and services. Spread the 1-2 person households around more instead of concentrating them in the oldest neighborhoods.

That way we could replace more of the studio and 1bd units in these areas without interfering with the other redevelopment trends that are driven by the market. A compromise of sorts.

Region-wide, we need way more of the entry level units than we need of the "luxury" units.

I'd like to see the City develop some stock plans for these ADUs and maybe cut their approval and development fees as a means of encouraging their development. There's nothing wrong with an apartment over garage setup and then add another parking space or two to the side between the main structure and the garage on parcels that have those dimensions.
Posted By: Autoprax

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 01:14 AM

I didn't say that. At all. What I'm saying is that if you reduced the population by 5% that would be of effect on rents. And schools. And services. And other vital resources.

I was doing some work for a non-profit in So Central last year and the director told me that the homeless population in that area had increased by over 20% in the previous year. That doesn't imply to me an increase in crazy people.

Being homeless makes you crazy.

(Compromises decision making)

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 01:39 AM

<snip>
There's nothing wrong with an apartment over garage setup and then add another parking space or two to the side between the main structure and the garage on parcels that have those dimensions.

^^^ This!
I've always felt this too,
there was nothin' wrong with havin' a converted garage/apartment above it for a Family member to continue to live on your property, but it always seemed that local L.A. cities didn't like it. Same in your neck ot thee woods? See ya. smile

PS ~ Apology's as I miss~construed your earlier post...
wave2

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 01:52 AM

I was reading a few weeks back that some town in Wisconsin or Michigan (I forget which) had just opened up their residential zoning code to allow what is basically a medium density on all lots previously zoned for single family. No onsite parking required. TO ME that seems excessive. It's one thing if you can keep at least half of the additional cars onsite, but totally another if they're diverting them all to the street. By the time the get households doubling up in occupancy they're going to end up with a lot more street parking than they think.

It's ironic that they're characterizing it in terms of social justice and equal access to services because when it comes to new units replacing old units it's going to end up being (for example) 4 have-nots being displaced by 8-12 have-somes.

The demographics of the outlying communities have changed a lot in the last 20 years as the urban poor get pushed out and away from the employment, transportation and services hubs.
Posted By: NDG80

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 01:56 AM

They def need to make more low income housing. Every new apartment building going up has 2,000 studios and 3,000 one bedrooms. Alot of them seem relatively empty too.

As a person making a decent living even by LA standards - I would never pay that much for a one bedroom apartment. I pay 2,000 now for a very average old mediocre apartment in Hollywood and already feel like that s way to much for what Im getting and where its at but I also refuse to commute though so part of its on me for sure. Cheaper shit in Noho and the valley is available.
Posted By: 20W-50 and blood

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 02:36 AM

is the answer low income housing...or limiting/taxing/who knows? the psychotic amount of income properties?
Posted By: Duffy

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 02:56 AM

At this point the working poor are literally getting priced out of their apartments. Most people are spending much larger percentages of their income on housing than they were even 10 years ago. Not just in LA proper, but everywhere in the region.

Typical rents for 1bd apartments in So Central Los Angeles in 2005 were in the $500-$600 range for the older units. As of this morning in Craigslist, the lowest priced 1bd is listed for $1100, and there's only the one listing at that price. The majority of 1bd units start at $1275/mo and go from there. So rents have easily doubled in the least desirable part of town. There's nothing we can do with incomes that would keep pace.

1. Almost all of these homeless people ar not working.

2. Those rent prices you see are the advertised price. Nobody is getting $1275/month for a one bedroom in SCLA.

I have a 1 bedroom unit that I rent out in Santa Barbara for not much more than that.

No way South Central rents are anywhere near what Santa Barbara rents are. No way.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: 20W-50 and blood
is the answer low income housing...or limiting/taxing/who knows? the psychotic amount of income properties?

Or, you know, you could move to a more affordable area....
Posted By: obslop

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 03:15 AM

see that all over oceanside.

demo the apartment complex and throw down million dollar + townhome/condos.

it is going to take some work but i bet if the city of oceanside really tries their hardest they can make the area by the pier as disgusting as HB in 20 years.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 03:21 AM

of relevance:

James Stack, who predicted the 2008 real estate crash and nailed last yearís housing slowdown with uncanny timing, is back with some bad news for 2019.

ďHousing could be heading for its worst year since the last housing crash," Stack, 67, said in a phone interview. ďExpect home sales to continue on a downward trend in the next 12-plus months. And thereís a significant downside risk to housing prices if a recession takes hold.Ē

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...rst-yet-to-come

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: obslop
of relevance:

James Stack, who predicted the 2008 real estate crash and nailed last yearís housing slowdown with uncanny timing, is back with some bad news for 2019.

ďHousing could be heading for its worst year since the last housing crash," Stack, 67, said in a phone interview. ďExpect home sales to continue on a downward trend in the next 12-plus months. And thereís a significant downside risk to housing prices if a recession takes hold.Ē

So housing will get cheaper.

Good news for the homeless!!!!*

*except for the fact that most homeless people are not that way because of housing prices....
Posted By: grapedrink

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 04:03 AM

of relevance:

SFRs are still outrageous around these parts, although there are a lot of condos and duplexes on the market and prices have been flat to slightly declining through 2018. Many of which are within the same developments with the same floorplans, including many that are less than 5 years old. Usually the first shoe to drop and the last to recover. Glad I didn't go the condo route drowning
Posted By: ko25ok

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Duffy

THIS

Iíll never understand not moving to a more affordable area.

My entire family is from Hawaii and Iím fortunate enough right now to still live here and am doing okay. If things started to get tonight and I started to really feel the the effects of the INSANE cost of living than Iíd be gone and moved to the mainland in a second. Wouldnít even ever consider my family living in the projects or homeless on the beach.

Why people arenít willing to be more mobile is beyond me.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ko25ok

THIS

Iíll never understand not moving to a more affordable area.

My entire family is from Hawaii and Iím fortunate enough right now to still live here and am doing okay. If things started to get tonight and I started to really feel the the effects of the INSANE cost of living than Iíd be gone and moved to the mainland in a second. Wouldnít even ever consider my family living in the projects or homeless on the beach.

Why people arenít willing to be more mobile is beyond me.

cause jobs aren't mobile. When you can only afford maybe something in Santa Clarita but your job is Santa Monica. hour 1/2 drive one way on a good day.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: stu dog

cause jobs aren't mobile. When you can only afford maybe something in Santa Clarita but your job is Santa Monica. hour 1/2 drive one way on a good day.

Traffic, traffic, traffic.
Yep, tooo much drive time!

Say you have a 1 hour commute each way to get to work, 1 hour to to get back home.
That's 2 hours a day behind the wheel heading to+from.

Multiply that times 5 work days a week,
you now have 10 hours behind the wheel each work week.

Multiply that by 4 work weeks a month, congrats, you will have spent 40 hours this month,
One Whole Work Week, just drivin' to + from work, right? F**k that, it's gotta suck!

I hope that your boss gives you a paycheck for those 40 hours of your time this month...
frown
Posted By: Muscles

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 06:14 PM

That's a cop out.

There's plenty of jobs in affordable parts of the country. People move everyday and start over in a cheaper place. The internet makes it even easier. You can apply for jobs and find something well before you even get to wherever you're going.

Let's be realistic. People want to live in California and Hawaii and some believe that it is their right because their family lives there.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Muscles

That's a cop out.

There's plenty of jobs in affordable parts of the country. People move everyday and start over in a cheaper place. The internet makes it even easier. You can apply for jobs and find something well before you even get to wherever you're going.

Let's be realistic. People want to live in California and Hawaii and some believe that it is their right because their family lives there.

the 405/10 intersection is a major major area for jobs. lucky enough I got in here for housing before prices went crazy. nearly everyone I work with commutes an hour+ daily to that area. telecommuting is pretty rare in my experience.
Posted By: Muscles

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Muscles

That's a cop out.

the 405/10 intersection is a major major area for jobs. lucky enough I got in here for housing before prices went crazy. nearly everyone I work with commutes an hour+ daily to that area. telecommuting is pretty rare in my experience.

Some people need to face reality and realize they can't afford California unless they want to put up with the 1.5 HR commutes to live out in the middle of nowhere.

My wife's family is from California. Three families had enough and had to move to Texas to afford a house. One family moved way inland and does the long commute in order to own a house.

I never understood those that can't afford California or Hawaii but insist on living paycheck to paycheck and on the brink of homelessness.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 06:30 PM

It's not just Los Angeles. And homelessness is a real crisis that POTUS should be talking about instead of this border nonsense.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: frvcvs
It's not just Los Angeles. And homelessness is a real crisis that POTUS should be talking about instead of this border nonsense.

California has ~12% of the nation's population but (supposedly) 25% of homeless. The State of California has a much bigger homeless problem than most states.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 08:57 PM

Commuting stresses me out more than paying too much for rent. I walk to work now and itís pricelss to me.

Also jobs arenít mobile. There are only really 3 places in the world that you can do my job in the medium Iíve chosen and make a decent living doing it.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: frvcvs

California has ~12% of the nation's population but (supposedly) 25% of homeless. The State of California has a much bigger homeless problem than most states.

Itís definitely ground zero. No arguing that. But that doesnít mean the problem doesnít extend beyond our borders. I was just in Washington State last week and there were very similar encampments.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: NDG80
Commuting stresses me out more than paying too much for rent. I walk to work now and itís pricelss to me.

Also jobs arenít mobile. There are only really 3 places in the world that you can do my job in the medium Iíve chosen and make a decent living doing it.

That right there is a significant obstacle. But it doesn't apply to most occupations.

I think the question that probably most people should ask themselves is how much they are gaining or losing as a direct result of the combination of choices they have made. When the gains outweigh the losses then that's good; when it's the other way around, not so good.

Posted By: Random Guy

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 09:25 PM

A lot of California has great weather for homeless living. Ever try being homeless in New York in February ? No, because itís too f*cking cold!
How about Florida in August?
Hell no!
But Los Angeles ?
Outdoors all day every day
Just sayin is all
cowabunga
rg

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 09:29 PM

of relevance:

So housing will get cheaper.

Good news for the homeless!!!!*

*except for the fact that most homeless people are not that way because of housing prices....

the next real estate downturn will coincide with an economic recession IMO so it's more about purchasing power than price.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 09:46 PM

This is why I chose to buy in San Francisco than the East Bay.

Great minds think alike! cheers
Posted By: MrDobalina

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

I wish I could buy in SF.
I'm struggling to keep our rent controlled apartment now that our roommate has left.
Posted By: MrDobalina

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/08/19 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Random Guy
A lot of California has great weather for homeless living. Ever try being homeless in New York in February ? No, because itís too f*cking cold!
Hell no!
But Los Angeles ?
Just sayin is all
cowabunga
rg

I read recently that the homeless population by city was
1. NYC
2. LA
3 Seattle
4 SD
5 San Jose

Shocking to me, and probably shocking to those that eat up the Anti SF hype.

Not shocking? All major tech hubs

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: MrDobalina
Hell no!
But Los Angeles ?
Just sayin is all
cowabunga
rg

1. NYC
2. LA
3 Seattle
4 SD
5 San Jose

round up the homeless on the east coast and give them a one way bus ticket to to LA. that's what an uber driver was ranting to me about one time.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 12:29 AM

I'm struggling to keep our rent controlled apartment now that our roommate has left.

Yeah, I know that scenario....happened to me too.

So, I moved in with sweetie-pie rather than deal with another set of roommate(s).

My rent cost tripled with that move, so I said, "Hey we could live frugally and buy a place and maybe just pay another $200 each that what we are both paying now.....what do you think?"

Enter the 30-year rent control plan and matching diet of a whole lot of potatoes, brussel sprouts, 3-day old bread, and a new found appreciate for dear old dad's cheap beer.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 01:03 AM

Hell no!
But Los Angeles ?
Just sayin is all
cowabunga
rg

1. NYC
2. LA
3 Seattle
4 SD
5 San Jose

round up the homeless on the east coast and give them a one way bus ticket to to LA. that's what an uber driver was ranting to me about one time.

Iím pretty sure Giuliani put them all on a train to DC a few years ago
Unfortunately for the nyc homeless, he wasnít going to spring for a cross country Amtrak ticket.
cowabunga
rg

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 01:05 AM

Yeah, I know that scenario....happened to me too.

So, I moved in with sweetie-pie rather than deal with another set of roommate(s).

My rent cost tripled with that move, so I said, "Hey we could live frugally and buy a place and maybe just pay another $200 each that what we are both paying now.....what do you think?"

Enter the 30-year rent control plan and matching diet of a whole lot of potatoes, brussel sprouts, 3-day old bread, and a new found appreciate for dear old dad's cheap beer.

Hey, you also got a pretty awesome citrus supply out of that deal too!
cowabunga
rg

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 01:32 AM

prices on the westside are probably going to hold now

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-google-westside-pavilion-20190108-story.html

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 02:55 AM

Yea wish I could buy in proper LA. Its looking like renting for two more years than probably buy a 2 bedroom condo maybe over in miracle mile which would be a 10 minute commute. Congrats on locking something down in SF.
Posted By: PPK96754

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 11:14 AM

I truly did for decades. But you guy's keeps fugging the wife and spawning kids. Line ups are crowded now and it's mayhem in Anaheim along the river.

Spawner unite! dancing
Posted By: littlewave

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 05:28 PM

Goodbye Apple Pan. bawling
Posted By: SBSteve

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: littlewave

Mom used to take me there once a week when I was a kid. Loved the hickory burger. cookin
Haven't been to that area in decades, probably wouldn't recognize it.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SBSteve
Originally Posted By: littlewave

Mom used to take me there once a week when I was a kid. Loved the hickory burger. cookin
Haven't been to that area in decades, probably wouldn't recognize it.

Pico hasn't changed much. except for the big ass building near the rail line, which I don't know what's going into there. but Norms is gone. I'm sure Google is going to change the exterior of the mall. Bought in '09 around there. was blown away when I had my place reappraised this year.
Posted By: subway

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/09/19 07:27 PM

word. i could have afforded a decent (relatively speaking) apartment in many Manhattan neighborhoods within a 15 minute walk or short subway ride to my office. but i chose to buy way out on Long Beach, and commute 2.5 hours R/T every day to live at the beach.

positives outweigh the commute, and not just for surf. and luckily my commute is on a comfortable train, where time isn't really wasted. it's reading, working, getting pummeled at scrabble by Kento etc. I even do head space meditations sometimes.

Being in a car 2.5 hours a day? i don't think i could do it. if that were the case, i would probably have gone with the overpriced, undersized place within walking distance
Posted By: ko25ok

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/11/19 06:07 AM

Originally Posted By: subway
word. i could have afforded a decent (relatively speaking) apartment in many Manhattan neighborhoods within a 15 minute walk or short subway ride to my office. but i chose to buy way out on Long Beach, and commute 2.5 hours R/T every day to live at the beach.

positives outweigh the commute, and not just for surf. and luckily my commute is on a comfortable train, where time isn't really wasted. it's reading, working, getting pummeled at scrabble by Kento etc. I even do head space meditations sometimes.

Being in a car 2.5 hours a day? i don't think i could do it. if that were the case, i would probably have gone with the overpriced, undersized place within walking distance

Commuting by train is much much different than a car. I could handle a train. No effing way I could ever deal with a long commute by car
Posted By: Racer1

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/11/19 06:23 AM

Iím pretty sure Giuliani put them all on a train to DC a few years ago

I was going to say, DC should be on that list. Was there in September and it is very much in your face. Up there with Seattle and SF. Not quite LA though.
Posted By: ifallalot

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/11/19 02:50 PM

Commuting by train is much much different than a car. I could handle a train. No effing way I could ever deal with a long commute by car

I'm the exact opposite. I'd much rather have my own personal space rather than share it with people.
Posted By: Fritzo

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/11/19 04:35 PM

I may have an in-law available in April. On 48th Ave & LIncoln.

Our economies and housing need to be thought of as an ecosystem, one that just needs re-balancing.

The tech industry is a base-economy in CA, meaning it's a net positive, an exporter or service, and importer of wealth.

That brings more money and opportunity to every industry, real estate, architecture, entertainment etc... So regardless of what industry you're involved with, there should theoretically be an opportunity here, unless of course, the industries are expanding so quickly that the local housing market can't handle the sheer number of those seeking to capitalize on the opportunity.

Nobody is to blame, particularly when the gain in wealth occurred so quickly. It's now 10 years from 2009, what municipality could reasonably be expected to adjust so quickly?

Moving somewhere more affordable means going somewhere with less opportunity, so I don't blame people from trying to stick it out where the better opportunity lies. It also just so happens that this area has better weather and amenities too.

I manage and sell apartment buildings. Those 6% fees and 2.5% commissions look frankly $htyy in Iowa.

Creating housing and adapting to changing economies and demographics takes time. A boom like the last ten years is going to create winners and losers and there is very little our systems are able to do about it in sufficient time.
Posted By: subway

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/11/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: ifallalot

I'm the exact opposite. I'd much rather have my own personal space rather than share it with people.

I don't disagree with the need for personal space either. After 11 years (and counting) of working on a floor with 100+ people, and commuting every day with millions, i really have zero tolerance or patience with crowds, or even people in general, in my free time.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/11/19 09:59 PM

If I had to drive an hour and change each way every day, Iíd go out of my mind
If I had to take the train for a total door to door trip of over an hour each way, Iíd get pretty tired of that
If I worked from home every day Iíd go a little stir crazy
If I was flying all over the place all the time, Iíd look for a new job
But any of them mixed together works pretty well especially if Iím deciding what days I commute or stay home or drive to some other location or even fly
Mixing it up so you donít get in a rut is key, at least for me
cowabunga
rg
Posted By: keenfish

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/11/19 11:28 PM

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/12/19 02:26 AM

L.A.
Well over~head.
Would you ride this?

2 dayz ago, though I'm facin' 180į straight South, that swell's refracted energy was here.
And it got bigger+better that day, with yesterday smaller, but soooo fun, bitchin' shape, many smiles!
Hate L.A. ???
Right on...
wave2
Posted By: hal9000

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/12/19 02:41 AM

I've never really been to LA, only San Diego. Why do I always hear that the surf is always bad there? Is that true?
Posted By: Leaverite

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/12/19 04:26 AM

If all of you Eat Shit and Die. I might get peace.
Posted By: 20W-50 and blood

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/12/19 07:19 AM

If I had to drive an hour and change each way every day, Iíd go out of my mind
If I had to take the train for a total door to door trip of over an hour each way, Iíd get pretty tired of that
If I worked from home every day Iíd go a little stir crazy
If I was flying all over the place all the time, Iíd look for a new job
But any of them mixed together works pretty well especially if Iím deciding what days I commute or stay home or drive to some other location or even fly
Mixing it up so you donít get in a rut is key, at least for me
cowabunga
rg

dude..a hungover car ride is nothing.

light rail green line etc in L.A. is nothing

BART hungover? worst thing in the fugging world.
Posted By: ThaDood

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/17/19 09:33 AM

Calexit is not looking bad right about now.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/17/19 07:26 PM

Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/17/19 07:57 PM

"Los Angle-iss"

"Callyforny-uh"

"Los Anjuhluhs"

"CaluhforŮuh"

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/17/19 08:04 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WIHfmisMLOY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4-l13UMBlkM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LA has never been a walking town. Even in the horse days, people did not want to get off them to walk.

https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/...t-the-same-time
Posted By: ringer

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? - 01/18/19 03:11 AM

In two days we're going to move our 22 year old girl into a decent apartment in Mid-Wilshire where it is a reasonable (for LA standards) drive for a couple of years to the public and extremely affordable academic institution where she will get her RN. Walking scale from the apartment is a 9 (Metro subway station, grocery stores, tons of restaurants, El Rey Theater, LACMA, etc. all very walkable). I do love LA, except for the traffic.
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting