Surfer.com

What is School For?

Posted By: Bohter

What is School For? - 09/15/18 05:47 PM

Couple compelling videos regarding school....since it's that time of year again....

Something to think about....
Posted By: Autoprax

Re: What is School For? - 09/15/18 06:22 PM

Neural priming social engagement.

Duh!
Posted By: kelpcutter

Re: What is School For? - 09/15/18 11:00 PM

To weed out the open minded, critical thinking, truth seeking, youtube researching flat earthers?
Posted By: Leaverite

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 02:13 AM

To possibly learn a useful skillset that will support you throughout the rest of your life that you were not genetically gifted with???? shrug
Posted By: ghostshaper

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 02:33 AM

couldn't watch more than a minute, but school also teaches how to solve problems. maybe not how to do your taxes
explicitly unless you study accounting, but skills to figure it out. all that shvt mentioned in the first minute can be figured out by someone who has the skills developed in school. rote memorization is on the way out w/ the old standards, and critical thinking/problem solving is in w/ the new common core standards.

also, gravity to explain why celestial bodies are spherical or at least the critical thinking skills to reason through it logically.
Posted By: b.r.

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 02:33 AM

for learning social norms and maybe some science and physics and the impossibility of a flat earth despite what youtube teaches you.

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 02:44 AM

When I was a kid in High School we used to have auto shop. That was fun!!!
Posted By: 000

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 03:03 AM

school is for wannabe pros to avoid

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 03:10 AM

We used to have to cut school to go surfing.

Now you get school credits.
Posted By: b.r.

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 03:12 AM

when I moved back to s.d. from costa rica way back in the day, I got a job as a bilingual aid at the local h.s. in math, english, history and I worked two periods of auto shop. One of the kids was a senior and had a van, a truck, and a little honda. we worked on his cars and my 88 toyota pick up. Justino eventually asked me if I wanted to make 500 bucks driving his van from the McDonalds in San Ysidro back up to Encinitas on a Friday night with a bunch of his "friends".... turned out he was a coyote and brought people up from the border on the weekends. he also worked at a local mexican restuarant , (guy was an entrepreneur and explained why he had three cars at age 17). I told him although I would make in one night the same I was making in the month as an aide, I couldn't risk my future career by breaking u.s. immigration laws.
sadly the auto shop teacher mr. k passed away from cancer the next semester and the only one they could find to run the class was me.. I was not even remotely prepared to take on that class but they needed me and I was looking for a long term gig so I did it.. luckily no cars fell off the lift and crushed anyone while I was in charge. some super gearhead kids helped me get through. the day school ended I headed down to costa rica for 6 weeks, came back and got a real teaching gig... auto shop is still available at the old high school. I changed out my wife's brake pads last summer, still got some skills...lol

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 03:27 AM

Auto shop is a skillset.

A valuable skillset around here these days. Every high school kid with a DL has some kind of pimped out, big baller car. The aftermarket business in the USA is a multi billion dollar industry.

You just can't go out and buy/drive a stock new car. You need to tune it up to 800 HP and put in an exhaust system that can be heard 3 miles away. dancing

This is cool.

But if the state can offer it at $40/unit it sure beats paying to go to some private "Automotive Institute" and paying $10,000's of $20,000's of dollars on tuition.

The whole gig these days with state funding for Community Colleges is based on graduation rates and transfer credits to other schools.

This is what the state bases their annual fund allotment on.

We have a lot of programs. Our nursing program is one of the best anywhere. But its a 6/8 year process because its so in demand and has such limited funding.

I had surgery up at UCSF back in 2013 and one of my nurses up there was a Cabrillo grad. She also
remembered my mom as her 1st grade teacher!!! Extra lotion rubs...
Posted By: 20W-50 and blood

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 06:55 AM

i could say something..but screw it...we all hear and see what we are open to...sadly, nothing else

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 02:44 PM

Well I guess I knew there would be some FE remarks....seems we're taught or conditioned to focus on the person more than the problem these days. Maybe it's partially due to the explosion of social media and the anonymity that comes with it....and, with FE at least, our indoctrination early in school that it was the dumbest idea ever (with zero exploration of that side of the argument...for example, how much surface curvature we should expect and how to measure it....hmmm....why I wonder?)....just because we're so much smarter now because we've made "advancements" and have science etc.

And when I learned about gravity I was shown a cartoon of Newton under the apple tree with an apple falling.....just an explanation...no proof.....no tie in with buoyancy and density. The direction of down was basically due to the "force" of gravity....and it is relative to an objects mass...no demonstrable experiments to test for ourselves (except dropping stuff)...no proofs...no alternative hypothesis given...for example...the attractive property of earth's electrical "ground" and the 100 volts/meter static gradient above it (+ charged attracted to "ground" -)....combined with buoyancy and density....hmmmm?

Anyway, I agree school can give you basic skills necessary to navigate life and work (I used the pythagorean theorem to do the trig required to determine the expected hidden height on a sphere with a 3959 mile radius smile )....but it also indoctrinates everyone to a specific set of beliefs (vs. knowledge) and reinforces that thinking otherwise, in some cases at least, is not socially acceptable. Produces a bunch of indoctrinated obedient snowflakes these days it seems....just what the "workforce" needs.
Posted By: Al Soldano

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Bohter
Well I guess I knew there would be some FE remarks....seems we're taught or conditioned to focus on the person more than the problem these days. Maybe it's partially due to the explosion of social media and the anonymity that comes with it....and, with FE at least, our indoctrination early in school that it was the dumbest idea ever (with zero exploration of that side of the argument...for example, how much surface curvature we should expect and how to measure it....hmmm....why I wonder?)....just because we're so much smarter now because we've made "advancements" and have science etc.

And when I learned about gravity I was shown a cartoon of Newton under the apple tree with an apple falling.....just an explanation...no proof.....no tie in with buoyancy and density. The direction of down was basically due to the "force" of gravity....and it is relative to an objects mass...no demonstrable experiments to test for ourselves (except dropping stuff)...no proofs...no alternative hypothesis given...for example...the attractive property of earth's electrical "ground" and the 100 volts/meter static gradient above it (+ charged attracted to "ground" -)....combined with buoyancy and density....hmmmm?

Anyway, I agree school can give you basic skills necessary to navigate life and work (I used the pythagorean theorem to do the trig required to determine the expected hidden height on a sphere with a 3959 mile radius smile )....but it also indoctrinates everyone to a specific set of beliefs (vs. knowledge) and reinforces that thinking otherwise, in some cases at least, is not socially acceptable. Produces a bunch of indoctrinated obedient snowflakes these days it seems....just what the "workforce" needs.

I'm glad Snickers has been reincarnated.

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 05:35 PM

...but it also indoctrinates everyone to a specific set of beliefs (vs. knowledge) and reinforces that thinking otherwise, in some cases at least, is not socially acceptable. Produces a bunch of indoctrinated obedient snowflakes these days it seems....just what the "workforce" needs.

The idea that everyone is a genius but school beats the genius out them is so off the mark.
Posted By: TECHNOBUTT

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 11:02 PM

if you know the angle of the sun above the horizon and the length of the shadow an object is casting you can use maths you learned in school to deduce the height of the object casting the shadow.

go ahead, try it out. measure the height of a tree or building using trigonometry. it's the same method used thousands of years ago to determine the circumference of the earth.

same way all our phones know where we are at, or how to determine where you're at on a map given two known points. triangulation is a hell of a thing.

calculus pretty much gives us everything. invented to explain why the solar system works.

school is cool.

once you accept that you don't know shit until you really know it you can move beyond dumb stuff like thinking the earth is flat and onto real hard questions like what the fook is up with neptunes precession???? WE DONT EVEN KNOW YET!!

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 11:07 PM

calculus textbooks and marijuana makes you fooking crazy though so proceed with caution there

Re: What is School For? - 09/16/18 11:13 PM

also I don't know shit but that trig example is accurate

teach your kids about the derivative as soon as possible!!!!

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 02:40 AM

science teacher here: we teach density before we teach gravity. D=M/V is much easier than Fg=(m1m2)/d^2. we teach density as it relates to the layers of earth and how iron and nickel have a greater density than olivine and pyroxene, which is denser than granite/basalt. gravity, buoyancy, and density explain why we have iron/nickel in the core; olivine/pyroxene in the mantle; and granite/basalt in the crust. if you know newton's laws (smart muthafvcka), then you'd see how it's logical to explain the layers of Earth. Does a flat Earth still have layers?

TL;DR:

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper
science teacher here: we teach density before we teach gravity. D=M/V is much easier than Fg=(m1m2)/d^2. we teach density as it relates to the layers of earth and how iron and nickel have a greater density than olivine and pyroxene, which is denser than granite/basalt. gravity, buoyancy, and density explain why we have iron/nickel in the core; olivine/pyroxene in the mantle; and granite/basalt in the crust. if you know newton's laws (smart muthafvcka), then you'd see how it's logical to explain the layers of Earth. Does a flat Earth still have layers?

TL;DR:

Cool that we somehow know how the layers layer....wonder how we figured that out exactly....since the deepest we've ever drilled is like 8 miles out of 3959 miles (to the center, per science). Theory?

Also, if you're a science teacher, why don't you go out with your class and observe & measure the surface curvature. Great opportunity to teach some observation skills with respect to Superior & Inferior Mirages....other atmospheric phenom. If you can find a place with a 100 mile view, especially over water with some some mountains on the other side, you can explain to the class that the earth's curvature should be hiding 6667 ft of mountain at that distance (use it as a practical example for the use of trig/geometry). Good luck explaining to them, in scientific terms, why you can see most all of that mountain.

Anyway...my guess is you'll have to cover this topic with your class someday soon....when the kids start to challenge what you teach them.

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 03:04 PM

In science, we learn that we can make observations w/ advanced technology that goes beyond what we can see w/in the visible light spectrum. This is how we came to understand UV and infrared. A guy named Herschel discovered this over 200 years ago.

We can't see gravity either, but the theory of gravity explains why dust, gas would clump in a spherical shape, making a celestial body.

I have taken my students outside to observe the solar eclipse. This is something that can be done w/o technology:

You can see the eclipse in the shadow of leaves. None of my students posited that the shadows would look like flat lines if the earth were flat. Weird. Maybe they understand gravity and planet formation.
Posted By: FecalFace

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 03:48 PM

You sir, have the patience of Dalai Lama.

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 03:57 PM

Some good points about the wrongs of the school system in that first video but absolutely nothing to do with flat earth or that anything we learned in school is false.
Posted By: 92122

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 04:20 PM

School can only help you. Do it.
Posted By: Boneroni

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 04:50 PM

It's like if q-anon tried to write hip-hop.

Mindless, vague, unthoughtful questions that may be relatable but provide no insight or answers. barf
Posted By: VaB

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 05:10 PM

lol, what are parents for?

School teaches you HOW to learn. Not WHAT to learn. More sleep? These kids are staying up to 2 am playing freaking video games, few outside of the Andover High crowd are working that hard in HS.

If you graduate HS and can't read the directions to do your taxes then HS and your parents have failed you.

Do you really think the average 19 y.o would spend that much time studying and learning without school? Hell no.

How much time outside of your job do you spend learning? studying ? reading. Why is school /learning over b/c you have a job; it should continue for your life.

So to the original poster- how much time per week do you spend studying outside of work? Personally I spend about 10-20 hours in addition to working 40. Take some responsibility for yourself and your family and stop blaming school.
Posted By: youcantbeserious

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 05:16 PM

School is a grom holding facility so I can have a mid morning session in peace.
Posted By: Hullman

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 05:35 PM

Cool that we somehow know how the layers layer....wonder how we figured that out exactly....since the deepest we've ever drilled is like 8 miles out of 3959 miles (to the center, per science). Theory?

We know about the layers by measuring seismic waves being generated on one side of the globe from the other side of the globe. The seismic waves are caused by earthquakes. The waves are refracted by the different layers due to differing densities. Using mathematics we can determine where the interfaces between the layers are as well as the general make-up of the different materials.

The method is not unproven theory. It has been used since the late 1920's to explore the composition of the earth and is used extensively in oil and mining exploration and engineering geology.

Since I am a geologist who explores the globe's composition and uses seismic data, I should have received a memo regarding the true origin of the earth. I guess it's still in the mail...
Posted By: obslop

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 06:18 PM

i had thought the "flat earth" thing was just another internet troll thing but apparently it's real. you learn something new every day.

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: r32
Originally Posted By: obslop
i had thought the "flat earth" thing was just another internet troll thing but apparently it's real. you learn something new every day.

I'd argue that anyone who knows the earth is round that trump is an idiot and tries to argue their point with a trumper, is almost as dumb as a flat-earther trumper. You cant argue with these people and no amount of facts and hard evidence is going to change their mind. They are living in their own reality.

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 07:13 PM

I'd argue that anyone who knows the earth is flat and tries to argue their point with a ball-earther, is almost as dumb as a ball-earther. You cant argue with these people and no amount of facts and hard evidence is going to change their mind. They are living in their own reality.

Fixed it for ya....goes both ways.

And OBslop....I absolutely thought the same thing for over two years...then spent some time looking into it...learned and re-learned a ton of details about both cosmologies....spent a ton of time re-educating myself and doing field work...10-20 hrs/wk....and would venture a guess that the average ball-earther knows much less about their hello-centric model as compared to the average geo-centric flat-earther. Do I have more to learn? Hell yes! I have many un-answered questions.

If you want to discuss this topic further I'd be happy to on the Distance Shores thread.

Cheers...
Posted By: shitbird

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 07:27 PM

Tell us how this geocentric model works.

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 07:52 PM

I'd argue that anyone who knows the earth is flat and tries to argue their point with a ball-earther, is almost as dumb as a ball-earther. You cant argue with these people and no amount of facts and hard evidence is going to change their mind. They are living in their own reality.

And OBslop....I absolutely thought the same thing for over two years...then spent some time looking into it...learned and re-learned a ton of details about both cosmologies....spent a ton of time re-educating myself and doing field work...10-20 hrs/wk....and would venture a guess that the average ball-earther knows much less about their hello-centric model as compared to the average geo-centric flat-earther. Do I have more to learn? Hell yes! I have many un-answered questions.

If you want to discuss this topic further I'd be happy to on the Distance Shores thread.

Cheers...

just glanced at that thread. you guys are insane.

should i make it up to santa barbara this winter for a surf though i'll buy you a few beers at Hollister and you can break it all down for me.
Posted By: Mr Doof

Re: What is School For? - 09/17/18 08:32 PM

In science, we learn that we can make observations w/ advanced technology that goes beyond what we can see w/in the visible light spectrum. This is how we came to understand UV and infrared. A guy named Herschel discovered this over 200 years ago.

We can't see gravity either, but the theory of gravity explains why dust, gas would clump in a spherical shape, making a celestial body.

I have taken my students outside to observe the solar eclipse. This is something that can be done w/o technology:

You can see the eclipse in the shadow of leaves. None of my students posited that the shadows would look like flat lines if the earth were flat. Weird. Maybe they understand gravity and planet formation.

What type of magic tree were you under?

I got these moons by wearing a magic straw hat last summer:

Some other eclipse photos here from that trip.

PS

Q What is school for?

A1 To give your parents some form of daycare so they can work or get high, or both, without the meddling kids around

A2 To bolster society's chances and getting to the next stage of our development

A3 To give parents a chance to see the folly of outlawing infantcide

A4 To mete out life's lessons in a haphazard manner because kennels aren't as effective at crushing a child's hope and dreams as efficaciously as a few peers can in the gym showers or on the playground or in choir

A5 To provide a slightly better set of circumstances that could allow someone to not be a drain on the system when their folks kicks them out of the house.
Posted By: shakajawea

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 03:33 AM

Cheers...

for the sake of the survival of our species, please don't reproduce ever. EVER. don't even jerk off, too risky.
Posted By: HarryLopez

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 04:35 AM

2nd career 1st Grade teacher for 3 years now. Short answer, since there are many more things school can be for, depending on who you are and what your goals are.

School is for:
giving kids who don't get enough food at home food to eat
social work, done by teachers on their time
documenting child abuse and calling DHS
teaching kids to read, write, and number sense
getting kids to like school and learning and how to be kind to others
teaching kids from fckd up homes to regulate their emotions
giving kids a safe place to be for a part of the day
structure, love, and then learning
trying to undo the damage done by parents who should've been neutered
trying to reverse the effects of poverty in Americuh

... and that was just today, before lunch!

oh, and not to use youtube as a resource.
Posted By: acnjusa

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious
School is a grom holding facility so I can have a mid morning session in peace.

sweet.
Posted By: Goodfish

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 01:21 PM

That guy went to the wrong school. Or it was a very long time ago...

Schools are very different now. They're about creating platforms for the kids to experience learning holistically. A lot of project-based learning involving all aspects of formal education and social education - with a focus on problem solving and finding your own best way of understanding something. Also, a lot of room for enquiry-based learning with understanding strengthened through practical, abstract and concrete demonstrations of a student's mastery of a particular topic. There's no point in getting kids to just remember stuff. They'll all have Google implants in their brains that allow them to access the info immediately by the time they graduate...

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 02:04 PM

The key to this issue is why we are being conned into thinking there is a round earth.

Figure that out and you will have all the answers you need.
Posted By: grapedrink

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Autoprax
The key to this issue is why we are being conned into thinking there is a round earth.

Iíve asked him this many times and never got a reply. Still waiting. Any day now . . . .

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: grapedrink

Iíve asked him this many times and never got a reply. Still waiting. Any day now . . . .

You have? Check my post on the 29th day of Aug at 8:59 am...small kind answer.
Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 02:39 PM

roflmao

Originally Posted By: MV2local
@Bohter: you seem to really believe the flat earth thing, correct?

Would you please explain to me who is behind making us believe the earth is round gibberish and what their motive is? Any other flat earthers are fine to fill me in on this also. I'm a bit lost there. I mean, to a point I understand the anti-vaxxers that they believe vaccination plans are just a scam by big pharma to make money off of regular joes back. So they have a motif. Is there a flat earth motif?

Hey...

I would say it's more knowledge based than belief based.

Anyway....motive is always one of the first questions for sure and there's many theories....but the primary ones are they're hiding more land and or evidence of the creator....so it's a control thing. A sphere has limits and infinite space makes one feel small in the grand scheme of things....so maybe we're more inclined to follow authority and be a slave to money?

If you're interested and take some time there's dozens of YT videos that discuss this. Stuff to ponder....think for yourself. The who part is easy to discover as well.

Good question...Cheers!

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 02:43 PM

Weak roflmao
Funny how this conspiracy has transcended several centuries, with nobody proving it wrong, despite all of the advancements in space and satellite technology roflmao trout

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 02:51 PM

Weak roflmao
Funny how this conspiracy has transcended several centuries, with nobody proving it wrong, despite all of the advancements in space and satellite technology roflmao trout

Maybe postulate, in you own words, some other motive?
$$$ gotta figure in there somehow, right?

Funny how there's absolutely zero surface curvature but you still believe you live on a spinning sphere shaped planet covered with water gyrating thru the infinite vacuum of space.

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 03:14 PM

The answer is Jesus.

A round world is a denial of Jesus.

Why do you think the Catholics threw what GG in house arrest?

Once you start from there is all makes sense.

Bother you are jesus guy, right?

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 03:17 PM

I realized that flat earthers think NASA and our space program is a conspiracy bc it provides observable evidence disproving a flat Earth; but I had no idea that the concept of a spherical Earth is also a conspiracy bc of $.

As a grown adult, who graduated from school (assumption), how can you possibly look at the horizon and say that this is overwhelming evidence the Earth is flat? Have you ever seen the crescent moon?

As a science teacher, I can try to get students to unlearn previous misconceptions, but you are so incapable of simple logic and the ability to reason that you will not be able to unlearn this centuries old idea. Despite George W's mandate that no child is left behind (impossible, btw), sadly, you are one of those.

Did you ever post what kind of education you have had?
Posted By: youcantbeserious

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 04:36 PM

School of hard knocks, and YouTube, I believe. The best kind.

Ferdinand Magellan called, he has a bone to pick with you Bohter.
Posted By: ifallalot

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 04:47 PM

I realized that flat earthers think NASA and our space program is a conspiracy bc it provides observable evidence disproving a flat Earth; but I had no idea that the concept of a spherical Earth is also a conspiracy bc of $.

As a grown adult, who graduated from school (assumption), how can you possibly look at the horizon and say that this is overwhelming evidence the Earth is flat? Have you ever seen the crescent moon?

As a science teacher, I can try to get students to unlearn previous misconceptions, but you are so incapable of simple logic and the ability to reason that you will not be able to unlearn this centuries old idea. Despite George W's mandate that no child is left behind (impossible, btw), sadly, you are one of those.

The flat earth bs comes from the idea that personal experience is more valuable than education.
Posted By: Kento

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ifallalot

The flat earth bs comes from the idea that personal experience is more valuable than education.

To throw Bohter a bone, too many Santa Barbara summers could make one have flatness on the brain, especially combined with too much datura.

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 07:29 PM

First off...for Auto...and for like the third time....I'm not a "Jesus guy".
Though many FE'ers are because they believe it reinforces what the Bible says.

$$ ties into the why theories.....if we're glorified slaves to the $ because of the system we've been presented with. That and NASA gets like 50+ mil / day funded by you and me thru our taxes.

And yes...as a grown adult with a BS in Mechanical Engineering and 38 years of high tech problem solving....I will tell you that you can look at the horizon and tell what shape the surface is. We see too far....and we see stuff at like 200 miles that should be like 15,000 feet below the physical barrier horizon. No mirage or light refraction can explain this. Our long distance views never look like they should if we lived on a sphere with a 3959 mile r. Ever. Simple stuff you can test with your own eyeballs....we don't need NASA to tell us what shape it is. That...and NASA has been caught with their pants down so many times I'm surprised anyone believes half of what they are selling.

As for a crescent moon...yes....we've all seen it. You're not implying the shadow is due to the earth are you? I mean....being a Sci Teach you know how the phases of the moon are created, right? So you likely meant have I seen it during an eclipse? Yes....have seen some cool eclipses....and some weirdness around that last January one where the shadow was at the top of the moon when logic would dictate it should be at the bottom as the sun came up on the opposite horizon. Eclipse shadows are not an objective proof for the shape of the earth though because it requires that we assume it's the earth casting the shadow.

Take this to the Distant Shores thread....show me / tell me where my logic is flawed exaclty.

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 07:42 PM

and we see stuff at like 200 miles

And I-IIIIIIII would see 200 miles
And I-IIIIIIII would see 200 more

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 07:47 PM

What's on the other side of the flat Earth?

Atlantis?

R'Leyeh?

Will Cthulhu, Yog Sothoth, Nyarlohthotep, etc. pay us a visit when the stars are right again?

Just say the word and we can start the blood sacrifices. jam_on

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 07:47 PM

$$ ties into the why theories.....if we're glorified slaves to the $ because of the system we've been presented with.

Could be said about almost any conspiracy theory ever.
Could actually be said about most theories ever.

Does not give any credence the idea it's tied to though.
Honestly, it seems like a huge cop-out. You've got some huge worldwide conspiracy invoiving millions of people over half a century, and it's about "Money and control"?

Come on. You can do better than that. Can't you at least incorporate radioactive pitbulls in bathtubs full of elk semen?

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 07:57 PM

This is what all conspiracy theories fail at.

They always lack a motive.
Posted By: ElOgro

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Kento
What's on the other side of the flat Earth

It looks like the bottom of a deep dish pizza.
Posted By: rice

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 08:13 PM

Yes....have seen some cool eclipses....and some weirdness around that last January one where the shadow was at the top of the moon when logic would dictate it should be at the bottom as the sun came up on the opposite horizon. Eclipse shadows are not an objective proof for the shape of the earth though because it requires that we assume it's the earth casting the shadow.

Plus, the flat Earth is circular and flat, no....?

I want to hear more about this land 'they' are hiding? Where/what is this land? Is it on the other flat side of the disk?

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ElOgro

There's a compelling motive here.

THEY are trying to keep all of the cheese-stuffed crust of the Pizzearth for THEMSELVES......

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 08:28 PM

First off...for Auto...and for like the third time....I'm not a "Jesus guy".
Though many FE'ers are because they believe it reinforces what the Bible says.

$$ ties into the why theories.....if we're glorified slaves to the $ because of the system we've been presented with. That and NASA gets like 50+ mil / day funded by you and me thru our taxes.

And yes...as a grown adult with a BS in Mechanical Engineering and 38 years of high tech problem solving....I will tell you that you can look at the horizon and tell what shape the surface is. We see too far....and we see stuff at like 200 miles that should be like 15,000 feet below the physical barrier horizon. No mirage or light refraction can explain this. Our long distance views never look like they should if we lived on a sphere with a 3959 mile r. Ever. Simple stuff you can test with your own eyeballs....we don't need NASA to tell us what shape it is. That...and NASA has been caught with their pants down so many times I'm surprised anyone believes half of what they are selling.

As for a crescent moon...yes....we've all seen it. You're not implying the shadow is due to the earth are you? I mean....being a Sci Teach you know how the phases of the moon are created, right? So you likely meant have I seen it during an eclipse? Yes....have seen some cool eclipses....and some weirdness around that last January one where the shadow was at the top of the moon when logic would dictate it should be at the bottom as the sun came up on the opposite horizon. Eclipse shadows are not an objective proof for the shape of the earth though because it requires that we assume it's the earth casting the shadow.

Take this to the Distant Shores thread....show me / tell me where my logic is flawed exaclty.

Here we go again:

So there are the "Jesus flat earthers" and the "It's a con for the $$$$$" flat earthers?

So would all commercial airline pilots have to be in on the scam?

At what point in the flight training are they let in on the secret?

What would you attribute the high compliance rate for keeping up the deceptions?

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Boneroni

There's a compelling motive here.

THEY are trying to keep all of the cheese-stuffed crust of the Pizzearth for THEMSELVES......

And that's why NASA spread the moon-landing conspiracy. Purely a distraction so no one notices that for decades they've been secretly mining the dark side for cheese.

It's all coming together.

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 09:36 PM

Why should I postulate? I donít believe in Flat Eartherism trout Itís your job to convince us who and how is benefiting from this ruse.

I canít think of any person or industry, aside from globe manufacturers, who would benefit financially. There would have to be a huge financial incentive to get so many actors to play along.Ē Without blowing the whistle.

Again, who benefits financially confused2
Posted By: YeahNo

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 10:40 PM

What's on the other side of the flat Earth?

It's all the same stuff, just upside down. Have you never seen Stranger Things? pokestick

Re: What is School For? - 09/18/18 10:50 PM

Why should I postulate? I donít believe in Flat Eartherism trout Itís your job to convince us who and how is benefiting from this ruse.

I canít think of any person or industry, aside from globe manufacturers, who would benefit financially. There would have to be a huge financial incentive to get so many actors to play along.Ē Without blowing the whistle.

The globe map lobby is very powerful.

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 02:37 AM

Learning. I'd say that Bother go to school, get an advanced degree in optics or astronomy... oh wait, THEY are in on it to. My bad. roflmao

Best kept secret ever! Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people are in on it, and keep quiet. Sheeet man, the President gets his knob shined in his office and the whole fricken world finds out, and probably 2-3 people were involved.

And, Bother, as a teacher, when my students aren't 'getting it' or understanding, I look in the mirror. It ain't their fault, it is most likely mine. So, all of us 'not getting it' or 'being fooled and duped' is a direct reflection on your ability to teach us, or the material/evidence you are using is not at all convincing.

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 02:38 AM

The globe map lobby is very powerful.

I have one in my classroom! Case closed Matlock!

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: HarryLopez
Learning. I'd say that Bother go to school, get an advanced degree in optics or astronomy... oh wait, THEY are in on it to. My bad. roflmao

Best kept secret ever! Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people are in on it, and keep quiet. Sheeet man, the President gets his knob shined in his office and the whole fricken world finds out, and probably 2-3 people were involved.

And, Bother, as a teacher, when my students aren't 'getting it' or understanding, I look in the mirror. It ain't their fault, it is most likely mine. So, all of us 'not getting it' or 'being fooled and duped' is a direct reflection on your ability to teach us, or the material/evidence you are using is not at all convincing.

Good one Harry.
What part of zero curvature do you not understand?
You have presented zero objective evidence to the contrary.
Case closed?

cheers
Posted By: tacos

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 03:13 AM

It does. facelick

Iíd talk about how good the waves are on the other side of our flat earth from when I went on a surf trip there a year ago but... no naming spots shameonyou

Oh, youíve never surfed there, Bohter? Bummer. tomato trout hah drowning
Posted By: SurfFuerte

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit
and we see stuff at like 200 miles

And I-IIIIIIII would see 200 miles
And I-IIIIIIII would see 200 more

Just ta beeee tha ma-aaaaaaan who'd seen 400 miles
All tha way to Bothers do-ooooooooor!

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 04:20 AM

lalalala

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 04:21 AM

roflmao

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 04:34 AM

Good one Harry.
Case closed?

cheers

I have two friends. One of them had a Dad who worked at NASA around the Apollo13 times. I trust and believe the stories he would tell us. Another was the son of an astronaut, Story Musgrave. Met his Dad a few times, each time he would answer any questions we had. He had photos that he took! I trusted and believed him, someone with a first hand account. I have 3 friends that I've known for many years who are pilots, flying all over the world. They aren't in on the fix, but their flight paths are not based on a flat disc.

Zero curvature makes sense. Maybe the Earth isn't perfectly round? Flat spots? Pock marks? Low spots? Imperfections? All possible? Put a bacteria on a big roundish thing and shet would look flat too. As far as things you can see that you aren't 'supposed' to... definitely brings up questions. Keep humping that dog!

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 06:38 AM

Oblate spheroid bc of the bulge near the equator from the Earth's rotation.

Would we have spring and neap tides if the Earth were flat? The moon is tidally locked, BTW, which is why we see the same side. I think Mercury is tidally locked to the sun, too. What does have to do w a flat Earth?

Please explain the crescent moon and a full eclipse, if it isn't from shadowing. Is the moon flat, too? What about Saturn? How would the rings work around another disc? What about stars? Does gravity only pull in a 2D plane?

How can someone fly across the Pacific? Or is the Pacific the middle of Earth? How can someone fly across the Atlantic then? Can you post a flat Earth map?

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 02:11 PM

"We don't have time for another meeting of the Flat Earth Society."
Obama

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: SurfFuerte
lalalala

LALALALA

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 02:55 PM

Oblate spheroid bc of the bulge near the equator from the Earth's rotation.

Would we have spring and neap tides if the Earth were flat? The moon is tidally locked, BTW, which is why we see the same side. I think Mercury is tidally locked to the sun, too. What does have to do w a flat Earth?

Please explain the crescent moon and a full eclipse, if it isn't from shadowing. Is the moon flat, too? What about Saturn? How would the rings work around another disc? What about stars? Does gravity only pull in a 2D plane?

How can someone fly across the Pacific? Or is the Pacific the middle of Earth? How can someone fly across the Atlantic then? Can you post a flat Earth map?

Iíve thought of all those questions and Iím no scientific genius.

Given that this is a ďSurfer DiscussionĒ, if the earth is flat, what make waves?

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 02:58 PM

"We don't have time for another meeting of the Flat Earth Society."
Obama

Who does? Seriously. monkey
Posted By: crustBro

Re: What is School For? - 09/19/18 03:16 PM

i had thought the "flat earth" thing was just another internet troll thing

Right? Me too!

https://www.cnet.com/news/flat-earth-believers-tend-to-be-younger-yougov-survey-says/

Re: What is School For? - 09/20/18 02:07 PM

Good one Harry.
Case closed?

cheers

I have two friends. One of them had a Dad who worked at NASA around the Apollo13 times. I trust and believe the stories he would tell us. Another was the son of an astronaut, Story Musgrave. Met his Dad a few times, each time he would answer any questions we had. He had photos that he took! I trusted and believed him, someone with a first hand account. I have 3 friends that I've known for many years who are pilots, flying all over the world. They aren't in on the fix, but their flight paths are not based on a flat disc.

Zero curvature makes sense. Maybe the Earth isn't perfectly round? Flat spots? Pock marks? Low spots? Imperfections? All possible? Put a bacteria on a big roundish thing and shet would look flat too. As far as things you can see that you aren't 'supposed' to... definitely brings up questions. Keep humping that dog!

Cool story about your NASA connections Harry....but you think that trumps the objective evidence of zero surface curvature or see too far and too much? Flat spots in the middle of the oceans everywhere you look no matter? Oceans should be almost perfectly spherical in shape...right? Not just are they observed as flat....we know water always seeks it's own level. It's a basic property of the aqua...yes? So at what point does it start to curve...and why can't it be observed.

Good example of emotional and second hand "evidence" vs. true objective first person evidence....which one has the better chance of being true?
Posted By: Icu812

Re: What is School For? - 09/20/18 02:58 PM

Bohter, did you go to the convention?? Some great new theories here..but of course you would've had to fly around (across??) the earth to get there...
FE convention
Posted By: Icu812

Re: What is School For? - 09/20/18 02:59 PM

Oh, and wow, I just noticed, there's mountains on the other side!! Have we explored those yet?? And Orion rising in the east, with flat stars yet...
Posted By: shitbird

Re: What is School For? - 09/20/18 03:05 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_surface_topography#/media/File:Ocean_dynamic_topography.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_surface_topography
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/87189/seafloor-features-are-revealed-by-the-gravity-field

Take a look at these links, even if the oceans were like a flat dish, the ocean surface is not observed as flat. If you want to convince others of your geocentric flat earth view, you should consider stepping off the soapbox and presenting some sort of empirical evidence to back your claims, as you have asked others to do. These "if you are woke and you open your eyes" arguments don't fly, especially in the sciences. Can you explain how the tides would work in a flat earth geocentric system? I would be curious to hear your explanation.
Posted By: patrolman

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 12:05 AM

The video reminded me of a lot of teacher education actually- idealistic and fairly detached from reality. At the end when he talked about the kid who would cure cancer...what are the chances of someone who cannot get through high school biology and chemistry curing cancer?

We just spent the afternoon at my school in initial preparations for the second phase of our "Western Association of Schools and Colleges" accreditation. It's a special badge that schools can wear after filling in a whole lot of boxes with "eduspeak" to justify what we are doing. Politicians love that stuff. As I was walking away from the meeting I was thinking that no professional development or teacher education program can really replicate, prepare for, or assess the chaos and fluidity that happens in a real classroom.

But experience helps....

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 02:13 AM

No man, the kids are smart when they are 5 and the stupid teachers and the system stifle them.

If only we let them be free they would be able to express their genius.
Posted By: ifallalot

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 03:00 AM

How many 5 year olds do you know?

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 03:24 AM

we know water always seeks it's own level. It's a basic property of the aqua...yes? So at what point does it start to curve...and why can't it be observed.

?!

water is a polar molecule and doesn't want to spread out. ever seen a drop of water? why doesn't it spread out until it's one molecule thick?

there's no way that you got a bachelor of science. your school should have its accreditation revoked.
Posted By: littlewave

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 03:30 AM

we know water always seeks it's own level. It's a basic property of the aqua...yes? So at what point does it start to curve...and why can't it be observed.

?!

water is a polar molecule and doesn't want to spread out. ever seen a drop of water? why doesn't it spread out until it's one molecule thick?

there's no way that you got a bachelor of science. your school should have its accreditation revoked.

roflmao beer cheers

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: littlewave

?!

roflmao beer cheers

applause

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 01:29 PM

?!

Apples and oranges.
Drops of water....curve.
Meniscus...curve.
Was not talking about drops of water....clearly.
The surface of a body of water is always level.....seeks it's own level when contained....sea level?
Water levels have been used in construction for eons.
Got proof / evidence of a large body of water with surface curvature?
Not ripples....not waves....even convex curvature.
shrug

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: shitbird
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_surface_topography#/media/File:Ocean_dynamic_topography.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_surface_topography
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/87189/seafloor-features-are-revealed-by-the-gravity-field

Take a look at these links, even if the oceans were like a flat dish, the ocean surface is not observed as flat. If you want to convince others of your geocentric flat earth view, you should consider stepping off the soapbox and presenting some sort of empirical evidence to back your claims, as you have asked others to do. These "if you are woke and you open your eyes" arguments don't fly, especially in the sciences. Can you explain how the tides would work in a flat earth geocentric system? I would be curious to hear your explanation.

Did you look at the vertical scale in those links?
Kinda small eh? For all intents and purposes....level and flat.
The magnitude of the missing earth curvature is on the order of 100's to many many 1000's of feet.
Objective empirical evidece has been provided in the form of high magnification long distance photos that show terrain that should be well below the horizon....but is not....and cannot be explained otherwise. See 'um in the Distant Shores thread. This phenomena is constant....all over the world....nobody has produced an actual raw photo of a horizon that represents what it should look like on a ball with a 3959 mile r. Ever.
drowning

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 04:02 PM

You are doing some kind of unethical persuasion.

I can't really classify it.

It involves a lot of evasion.

But also going it the weeds with the measure of the flat earth stuff.

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 04:12 PM

nobody has produced an actual raw photo of a horizon that represents what it should look like on a ball with a 3959 mile r. Ever.
drowning

Except nasa and anyone else who has been in space.

Oh, wait. you don't trust them.

But you trust some bearded weirdo "scientist" on the internet.
Makes sense.
Posted By: bruddahkine

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 04:22 PM

No man, the kids are smart when they are 5 and the stupid teachers and the system stifle them.

My 13 year old son has a few peers who's parents have gone to a homeschooling or 'unschooling' route because they adamantly claim the school system is stifling them and compartmentalizing them. They do an absolute bare minimum of 'school' (the 'unschooled' kid doesn't seem to do anything resembling what I understand 'unschooling' is supposed to be) and spend alot of time wandering around town aimlessly, chugging energy drinks, hitting the Juul and acting like derelicts. When it snows, they'll get to so snowboarding everyday while most kids are in school, but even up at the mountain they just lurk in the lodge and cause trouble (one kid sucker punched a ski racer kid last year and they put a video of it up on instagram - classy). I have no idea how these parents can think this is a good thing for their kids, but in this case it sure looks like school would do these kids some good. Luckily they all seem to have a few $ in their families so I guess they don't need to do much except wait for their inheritance.
Posted By: the janitor

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 04:46 PM

I'm awarding all of you zero points

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bruddahkine

My 13 year old son has a few peers who's parents have gone to a homeschooling or 'unschooling' route because they adamantly claim the school system is stifling them and compartmentalizing them. They do an absolute bare minimum of 'school' (the 'unschooled' kid doesn't seem to do anything resembling what I understand 'unschooling' is supposed to be) and spend alot of time wandering around town aimlessly, chugging energy drinks, hitting the Juul and acting like derelicts. When it snows, they'll get to so snowboarding everyday while most kids are in school, but even up at the mountain they just lurk in the lodge and cause trouble (one kid sucker punched a ski racer kid last year and they put a video of it up on instagram - classy). I have no idea how these parents can think this is a good thing for their kids, but in this case it sure looks like school would do these kids some good. Luckily they all seem to have a few $ in their families so I guess they don't need to do much except wait for their inheritance.

Shit. Orange County really has infiltrated Oregon.
Posted By: Mr Doof

Re: What is School For? - 09/21/18 08:34 PM

....must ignore getting sucked into futile argument with a true believer....

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
....must ignore getting sucked into futile argument with a true believer....

Well then...hmmmm...
How about a beer.
Would a can of Kern River Just Outstanding do?

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 02:15 AM

Good one Harry.
Case closed?

cheers

Cool story about your NASA connections Harry....but you think that trumps the objective evidence of zero surface curvature or see too far and too much? Flat spots in the middle of the oceans everywhere you look no matter? Oceans should be almost perfectly spherical in shape...right? Not just are they observed as flat....we know water always seeks it's own level. It's a basic property of the aqua...yes? So at what point does it start to curve...and why can't it be observed.

Good example of emotional and second hand "evidence" vs. true objective first person evidence....which one has the better chance of being true?

While I understand that you are directly questioning my integrity, meh!

First hand huh? That is rich! Answer these questions:
1. How long did it take you to paddle to the Channel Islands and the Farallons to measure FOR YOURSELF the distance? You know, to get that right first hand. Must have been a large tape measure!
2.How did you measure, for yourself, the height of where the pictures were taken as well as the height of the location in the distance?
3. What tools did you use to take those measurements? Hope you aren't using any heights and distances made by (GASP!) round earth satellites! Or maps created by the REFS (Round Earth Faker Society), because those measurements would be unreliable.

The reason I ask is because in my previous career in commercial masonry, engineers loved to tell us how to build our walls, etc... using their calcs and plans. More often than not, their calcs and plans looked great on paper, and were incorrect! We ALWAYS had to measure for ourselves where the walls were located, etc... Or, we were using bad information. Hope you aren't!

And, as a good scientist you've become in your spare time (10-20/hrs/wk for how many weeks?) please list every other possible reason that exists for being able to see something you are supposedly not supposed to see. Thanks!
Posted By: hammies

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 05:17 AM

High school should (in theory) give its graduates the ability to think and learn at a high level. It's quite successful for a huge percentage of students. You may never need to know geometry, but learning geometry trains your brain to think both logically and spatially, whereas algebra trains your brain to think quantitatively. Everyone needs to think critically and analytically, solve problems, speak, write, and present themselves well. Those who don't learn these things have a pretty rough go at life. School gives us a structured environment that provides a successful learning experience for the most people possible. Not everybody, but most.

It's really really hard to make it financially in this world without a lot of schooling. Some people do and love to talk about it, but statistically the odds are super stacked against people without a college degree. Especially a degree that pays, like engineering, business, computer science, finance, applied math, that sort of thing.

There are lots of videos from people like Ken Robinson that talk about how schools stifle creativity, stuff like that. I call BS on all that. Want to be creative? Go be a software developer, or industrial designer, or architect, or video effects designer, or roboticist, or develop new cancer treatments, or some damn thing.

Everybody likes to point out people like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, who made billions while dropping out of college. It's instructive to note that every one of Jobs' and Gates' handpicked lieutenants (and successors) had a college degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Obigg85oo
Posted By: goingout

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 08:32 AM

" This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Neither is there salvation in any other : for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled ; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing. "

Acts 4:11-14 KJV

There is another way....

.....I am goingoutside now....so, what about these two fishermen?....how did they know this stuff?
Posted By: Driftcoast

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 01:44 PM

Exactly what does this have to say about fishermen knowing anything? What is the stuff they know that is in this Bible quote?
Posted By: hal9000

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 02:25 PM

Duh!

I'm going to just say I agree with this post and then not read the rest of this thread. I'll go ahead and assume that this thread is exhausting and full of the usual tropes.

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: goingout
" This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Neither is there salvation in any other : for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled ; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing. "

Acts 4:11-14 KJV

There is another way....

.....I am goingoutside now....so, what about these two fishermen?....how did they know this stuff?

^ Case in point.
Stay in school, kids. At the very least, you'll learn how to properly type quotation marks.

NASA has some amazing photoshoppers on payroll:
View this post on Instagram

Views from space never get old! 👀 Each day, the International Space Station (@ISS) completes 16 orbits of our home planet as the six humans living and working aboard our orbiting laboratory take in views of Earth while conducting important science and research. Earlier this summer, @astro_ricky captured and shared this image from 250 miles above, saying, ďEven the dark of night cannot subdue the rich hues of the desert bordering the Persian Gulf.Ē The work of astronauts aboard the space station will not only benefit life here on Earth, but will help us venture deeper into space than ever before. Credit: NASA #nasa #space #earth #astronauts #views #spacestation #internationalspacestation #beautiful #orbit #qatar #dubai #abudhabi #oman #iran #saudiarabia #Bahrain #UAE #picoftheday #home

A post shared by NASA (@nasa) on

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 03:13 PM

Good one Harry.
Case closed?

cheers

While I understand that you are directly questioning my integrity, meh!

First hand huh? That is rich! Answer these questions:
1. How long did it take you to paddle to the Channel Islands and the Farallons to measure FOR YOURSELF the distance? You know, to get that right first hand. Must have been a large tape measure!
2.How did you measure, for yourself, the height of where the pictures were taken as well as the height of the location in the distance?
3. What tools did you use to take those measurements? Hope you aren't using any heights and distances made by (GASP!) round earth satellites! Or maps created by the REFS (Round Earth Faker Society), because those measurements would be unreliable.

The reason I ask is because in my previous career in commercial masonry, engineers loved to tell us how to build our walls, etc... using their calcs and plans. More often than not, their calcs and plans looked great on paper, and were incorrect! We ALWAYS had to measure for ourselves where the walls were located, etc... Or, we were using bad information. Hope you aren't!

And, as a good scientist you've become in your spare time (10-20/hrs/wk for how many weeks?) please list every other possible reason that exists for being able to see something you are supposedly not supposed to see. Thanks!

Harry....I apologize if you think I'm questioning your integrity....I am not. I'm asking you (everyone) to think through what it is you believe and why....to separate real evidence based knowledge from belief.

I'm not going to answer your questions here....have already crossed these bridges in the other thread.

Also, for anyone in the SB area that is truly interested in this FE topic....there's a get together tomorrow / Sunday the 23rd 3PM until ? @ Derf's. Everyone is invited. Heard a local Science Teacher who has many articles published on Noozhawk will be there as well....to help him understand the topic better so he can answer questions he's getting from his class. I'll likely be there. Come by for some good discussion....and a beer.
cheers

PS: Some good comments / thoughts presented re education & school here. I always thought George Carlin's take was fairly accurate...

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Driftcoast
Exactly what does this have to say about fishermen knowing anything? What is the stuff they know that is in this Bible quote?

If you want to know more about these 2 fishermen who became "fishers of men" * you can read more of this account in Acts chapter 3 and 4.

What they knew is directly related to who they know. * see Matthew 4:19

Key verse would be Acts 4:13

Check it out, it's a good way to learn stuff.....

...I am goingoutside now.....I used to be a fisherman....things are different now....

Posted By: FARTHAMMER

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 09:09 PM

Shit. Orange County really has infiltrated Oregon.

All those people moving away from Cali gotta go somewhere! You can live in Ohio or Boston and still be a Californian. The peak down the beach is always better right...

wave2

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 09:15 PM

" ...you'll learn how to properly type quotation marks. "

Yes, you are correct, the general rule is leave no space, however.....

"What looks better" this?

" What looks better " or this?

I bet you don't even need look at the keys....nice!

....I am goingoutside now..I remember typing class,... it was after lunch, and I think I got a " D " .
Posted By: Driftcoast

Re: What is School For? - 09/22/18 11:32 PM

If you want to know more about these 2 fishermen who became "fishers of men" * you can read more of this account in Acts chapter 3 and 4.

...I am goingoutside now.....I used to be a fisherman....things are different now....

Jesus told the apostles the world was flat?

You think Jesus told you the world was flat in the Bible?

PS
Cleaned up your poor use of the quote function.

Re: What is School For? - 09/23/18 01:42 AM

My mom was a 1st/2nd grade elementary school teacher. She put in 30 years.

I still meet people today who remember having my mom for a teacher in 1st grade. She did it right, she
left a permanent impression that her students remember today. Something a home schooled kid will never experience, to their loss.

I imagine its pretty hard to inspire any kid who only has his/her parents as a reference for their early education. In a way schooling at home may be too close to home.

Re: What is School For? - 09/23/18 08:46 AM

Jesus told the apostles the world was flat?

You think Jesus told you the world was flat in the Bible?

PS
Cleaned up your poor use of the quote function.

To answer your first question, no. And whatever gave you that idea?

And to address your second question, no. The Lord Jesus Christ never spoke about the shape of the earth in the New Testament Scriptures.

The bible does not state explicitly a globe earth, little to no information is given about the earths actual shape, it can only be deduced by inference.

What we all witness on a daily basis is the evidence that the earth is a globe and spherical in shape. All the evidence shows it, the rising and setting of the sun and moon, the phases of the moon, an eclipse event, and the seasons and the changing of the seasons etc.

These things are only possible with a globe earth.

(This flat earth hoax is a psyop, a rather dangerous one.)

PS thanks for the repair of the quote function!

" Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. "

Matthew 24:35 KJV

.....I am goingoutside now.....

Re: What is School For? - 09/23/18 12:45 PM

" ...you'll learn how to properly type quotation marks. "

Yes, you are correct, the general rule is leave no space, however.....

"What looks better" this?

" What looks better " or this?

I bet you don't even need look at the keys....nice!

....I am goingoutside now..I remember typing class,... it was after lunch, and I think I got a " D " .

They didn't teach how to use ellipses marks?

Re: What is School For? - 09/23/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: hal9000

Duh!

I'm going to just say I agree with this post and then not read the rest of this thread. I'll go ahead and assume that this thread is exhausting and full of the usual tropes.

I'll add to that cultivate agreeableness.

Not excessive agreeableness but a level that allows the student to function effectively in the social environment.

I would systematically try to train a functional level of orderliness too.

It's pretty simple.

Re: What is School For? - 09/23/18 02:39 PM

Going out said....

"What we all witness on a daily basis is the evidence that the earth is a globe and spherical in shape. All the evidence shows it, the rising and setting of the sun and moon, the phases of the moon, an eclipse event, and the seasons and the changing of the seasons etc.

These things are only possible with a globe earth."

Nope....

Sunset / rise can be explained by perspective and vanishing point....on a flat surface....you can do experiments that prove this yourself.

Phases of the moon? Really? Has nothing to do with the shape of the earth....it's how the sun reflects on the moon...right?

Eclipses? There's an assumption involved that it's the earth's shadow....no proof of it actually being the earth's shadow.

Season changes are explained in the FE model as well....

For someone who is so open the the deception going on in the world....9/11 & beyond....this one is really no different in that regard. Where do you stand on the moon landing? No evidence of a blast crater or disturbance under the LEM? No moon dust on the feet? On and on and on...just like 9/11 evidence....it piles up and stinks.

As for it not being in the bible....there's a ton of folks who would disagree with that. In fact there's many who were atheist who are now born again because of FE. Rob Skiba covers the bible angle pretty well. As you know I'm not a bible guy...but do respect it.

Maybe you're just hung up on how dumb this all seems and are afraid of being ridiculed for it? I know a few folks like this....very interested when we discuss 1:1.....but then openly push back when others join the discussion. Group think takes over...must conform...

Re: What is School For? - 09/23/18 03:40 PM

As the other poster noted, your rhetoric is the problem.

Framing people as having blinders on while ignoring their questions makes you seem like a gaslighter.

Re: What is School For? - 09/23/18 03:47 PM

As the other poster noted, your rhetoric is the problem.

Framing people as having blinders on while ignoring their questions makes you seem like a gaslighter.

You talking about Harry's questions? You need to be more specific.....
...and I've noticed you never discuss the actual evidence...just psychobabble this and that.
Attack the person.
Talk about ignoring the issue brah....

Re: What is School For? - 09/23/18 04:23 PM

"Unschooling" prepares kids well for "unwork".
Posted By: drunjk

Re: What is School For? - 09/24/18 10:43 PM

school for? comes after school thre

Re: What is School For? - 09/25/18 12:36 AM

That's a pun.

Re: What is School For? - 09/25/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: hammies

"Unschooling" prepares kids well for "unwork".

Imagine if you will, a closed environment. Growing up in a place where there is only one school, kindergarden through High School. A school that has at the most a maximum enrollment of 80 students across 13 grades. A school who just got satellite internets a half dozen years ago. A school with its own cafeteria and its own organic garden. A school still off of the grid that gets is power by diesel generator (winter) solar power, summer.

Would you be willing to send YOUR kid daily into an environment like this?

Welcome to the Pacific Valley school in Big Sur.

Re: What is School For? - 09/25/18 02:56 AM

Sh!t like graffiti is starting to pop up around now down there.

Documented.

It's not the locals.

Marketed to death.
Posted By: surf cat

Re: What is School For? - 09/25/18 06:46 PM

What is School for? I wish I could have learned earlier....

"School is where you learn how to learn"

feel free to quote me

Re: What is School For? - 09/26/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: surf cat

feel free to quote me

Kids know how to learn. There are studies showing that preschoolers can learn faster and w/ more fluidity than college students. In one study, subjects were given a novel puzzle to solve: preschoolers were able to solve it more quickly b/c they tried numerous solutions until they finally figured it out; older students kept retrying the same solution, even though it failed previously (It's similar to those of us who continue to argue w/ someone like Bohter). grin

This video has good animations of several different observations made by people w/o satellites, space stations, and modern technology to show how the earth isn't flat:

Re: What is School For? - 12/08/18 02:45 AM

Things heard in 1st Grade today:
- Mr.__, ____ kicked me in the balls.
- 6 yr old kid who hit kid's balls- I was just talking to him and swinging my arms!
- Mr.___, my neighbors dad is picking me up. My family is having a sleepover tonight.
- It smells like old farts in here!
- Missy doesn't want to go outside! (Missy is her jacket)
- My dad's girlfriend lets me play video games all weekend!

School is for humor.

Re: What is School For? - 12/08/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: surf cat

feel free to quote me

Kids know how to learn. There are studies showing that preschoolers can learn faster and w/ more fluidity than college students. In one study, subjects were given a novel puzzle to solve: preschoolers were able to solve it more quickly b/c they tried numerous solutions until they finally figured it out; older students kept retrying the same solution, even though it failed previously (It's similar to those of us who continue to argue w/ someone like Bohter). grin

This video has good animations of several different observations made by people w/o satellites, space stations, and modern technology to show how the earth isn't flat:

My 25 years in education has shown me that kids are not geniuses that we stifle with the education process.

The child genius capable of platonic self discovery makes up less than 5% of the population. Maybe a little less.

And even these outliers benefit from good systematic training.

The cognitive system and nervous system thrive when you isolate and then integrate a task.

Though often flouted, for I don't know why, the principle of simplification is valid.

Re: What is School For? - 12/08/18 05:40 PM

[quote=Autoprax
My 25 years in education has shown me that kids are not geniuses that we stifle with the education process.

The child genius capable of platonic self discovery makes up less than 5% of the population. Maybe a little less.

The cognitive system and nervous system thrive when you isolate and then integrate a task.

Though often flouted, for I don't know why, the principle of simplification is valid.

[/quote]

100% agreement from this high school teacher. All those Ken Robinson videos and stuff like that are valid for only a small percentage of students.

Re: What is School For? - 12/09/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: hammies
[quote=Autoprax

100% agreement from this high school teacher. All those Ken Robinson videos and stuff like that are valid for only a small percentage of students. [/quote]

12 years in high school, now 4 years in elementary (and 4 years in secondary as a ta):
Not saying all kids have the potential to be smart, not to mention a genius. But the younger they are, the more plasticity in their problem solving (you get more stubborn and set in your ways, the older you get). Don't think it's education stifling them, but changes in the brain. Read something about how geniuses keep learning at the rate of a young child, or at least don't see a steep decline, like most people, due to the way their brains function.

By the time students are in elementary, many already expect to be told what to do/how to figure out minor problems/obstacles. Few are self starters/problem solvers.

Rolling out the new science standards, kids will be more exposed to hands on problem solving, which is what toddlers do everyday. No more cookbook recipe science. Figure shvt out. Use your brain and think. Don't be a robot.

Re: What is School For? - 12/09/18 05:16 PM

Watching those brains make connections is a TRIP! Second career teacher 3yrs at 1st grade. Our school community has a high rate of generational poverty, which brings kids with trauma. Ton of informative books about how trauma affects kids and what it does to the brain. They are wired different early on. The research is starting to reveal a lot more with time. The new approach is now turning to resilience in kids and how to nurture that to possibly help remediate the damage done. Those kids will get left behind because they aren't getting enough help and it sucks! Try to provide structure and love and learn with them every day.
Posted By: afoaf

Re: What is School For? - 12/11/18 08:41 PM

blessed are the teachers
Posted By: JEwing

Re: What is School For? - 12/13/18 10:43 PM

So when Volcom tosses you off the gravy train and your parents are poor, you need a backup plan. School, College, and an advanced degree will ensure you don't end up on the streets begging for beer money.
Posted By: sussle

Re: What is School For? - 12/13/18 11:31 PM

school is to teach kids to do things even if they don't want to...
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting