Surfer.com

Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks

Posted By: Joshua2415

Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 07:36 PM

Today is the Centennial Anniversary of our National Park Service - celebrating 100 years of service. All parks are offering free admission 8/25 - 8/28/16.

A few pics from parks that I've visited recently.

Post up your pics.

Posted By: Q_Surf

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 08:04 PM

"Congress should reconsider whether parts of the federal government's enormous landholdings and control of water in the West could be better used for ranching, mining or forestry through private ownership."

"Timber is a renewable natural resource, which provides jobs to thousands of Americans. All efforts should be made to make federal lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service available for harvesting. The enduring truth is that people best protect what they own."

-2016 GOP Platform Committee
Posted By: rice

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 08:15 PM

jam_on

In the past 10 years or so, we've spent awesome times in Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Lassen, Pinnacles, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Redwood, Zion, and Bryce Canyon National Parks.
Posted By: _____

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 08:28 PM

Epic, just updated my packlist inventory checklist sheet for this weekend's backpack trip. Didn't know it was free. rockin Three, ~2000 mile road trips all over CA since July 2015 plus several weekenders. Camping, surfing, diving, backpacking, fishing, etc. Some of the few uncrowded or no people places left (except DV during a "bloom" drowning) in these parks, and it's practically free.

Posted By: SFKneelo

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 09:36 PM

Last Spring Break, we went to Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion on the Every Kid in a Park pass, where families of 4th graders get free entrance.

Park entrance isn't the biggest overall cost, but the offer did get us to go.

The slot canyons around Page were a cool stop along the way.
Posted By: Matilija

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 09:53 PM

Celebration and shindiggery tonight at the Ventucky Park HQ with good music music and brews!
Posted By: Boneroni

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 09:56 PM

I freakin' love the geologic, climate, topographic and bio diversity we have in this enormous and awesome nation of ours.

Think about this: How many fewer of these sites would we have without the parks service? How many would've been eaten right up by the industrial and building booms of the 20's and 30's, not to mention the growth (see: free market monster) of the 60's - 80's.

Very grateful! applause2

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: SFKneelo
Last Spring Break, we went to Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion on the Every Kid in a Park pass, where families of 4th graders get free entrance.

Forgot about Grand Canyon. foreheadslap Good times.
Posted By: patrolman

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:09 PM

Lassen summer 2016-

Death Valley spring 2016

Bryce 2013

Arches 2014

Canyonlands 2014

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:14 PM

About half the photos in my iphoto are from the parks-

Teaching my daughter to be a tree hugger, Sequioa -

Zion-

Posted By: JEwing

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:20 PM

Yosemite Falls, Merced River from the swinging bridge on April fools day 2016

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: rice
jam_on

In the past 10 years or so, we've spent awesome times in Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Lassen, Pinnacles, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Redwood, Zion, and Bryce Canyon National Parks.

I've never been up to Lassen, Pinnacles or Redwood. We're planning a trip up through the Pacific NW and over to Montana next year - hoping to hit them then along with Crater Lake, Mt. Rainier, and Glacier. Revisiting the SW parks with the kids is on the list too.

For those with kids, the National Park Passport and Jr. Ranger programs are really fun. The kids get sworn in as Jr. Rangers and receive patches/pins when they complete the booklets and all the parks have stamps and stickers for the passports.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: SFKneelo

My daughter will be in the 4th grade next year and we plan to take advantage of this program. jam_on

Originally Posted By: Boneroni
I freakin' love the geologic, climate, topographic and bio diversity we have in this enormous and awesome nation of ours.

Very grateful! applause2

+1

Nice pics patrolman! jam_on

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:33 PM

Yosemite at beer thirty after hiking to the top of Lower Yosemite Falls and back (lots and lots of switchbacks)-

Arches-

Canyonlands-

Redwoods (Humboldt)-

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Joshua2415

For those with kids, the National Park Passport and Jr. Ranger programs are really fun. The kids get sworn in as Jr. Rangers and receive patches/pins when they complete the booklets and all the parks have stamps and stickers for the passports.

Our kids were super into that when they were younger. Kings Canyon is one of the kids' favorite places on earth so we go every summer, still.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Q_Surf
"Congress should reconsider whether parts of the federal government's enormous landholdings and control of water in the West could be better used for ranching, mining or forestry through private ownership."

"Timber is a renewable natural resource, which provides jobs to thousands of Americans. All efforts should be made to make federal lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service available for harvesting. The enduring truth is that people best protect what they own."

That statement could almost make me a single issue voter-

Yeah baby, here we come! Own this!

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 11:07 PM

Arches

Bryce

Zion

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/25/16 11:09 PM

North Rim

Death Valley

Yosemite
Posted By: barnod

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 12:00 AM

nice pics everyone!

bryce with fresh snowfall is a sight to see... the red and white contrast is excelllleeeent
Posted By: tacos

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 12:20 AM

Rad pics everyone jam_on

Last week went to Grand Canyon and Zion. I'll try to post pics later.

I hadn't been to Grand Canyon since I was 8 years old and went to the North Rim (based on suggestions from a thread here a year or two ago) and it was incredible. Nice weather, no crowds, totally mellow. Stayed in an old cabin at Jacob Lake (~45 min away). Did a pretty mellow hike to Cape Final (4 miles round trip) which offered an incredible view of the canyon... however, a thunderstorm was approaching and the end of the hike is the highest point in the area... got the fvck down from there quick. Turned out there was some sleet back on the roads and the road we came up on was closed (and a hell of a mess) on the way back down.

Was my first time in Zion and loved it. Hiked almost 3 miles back in the Narrows--incredible. Didn't take our cameras cause we didn't want to get wet since you're walking in a stream the entire time, but here's some google photos. Would like to hike Angels Landing next time I'm there.

Posted By: keenfish

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: patrolman

Awesome photo patrolman! shaka
Posted By: manbearpig

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 01:32 AM

The national park service is probably the only branch of government worth a damn.

-Ron Swanson

Truer words never have been spoken
Posted By: picklestein

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 02:13 AM

Here's a pic from our free campsite last month across the valley from the Tetons. In a couple weeks, I'm heading solo back to Jackson to knock off a couple hikes we didn't do. Then I'm off to 4 weeks in Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, and The Great Basin parks. Might add on Grand Canyon, but not sure. I'm super stocked.

Posted By: silentbutdeadly

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: manbearpig
The national park service is probably the only branch of government worth a damn.

-Ron Swanson

Truer words never have been spoken

this x infiniti
Posted By: ocean7847

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 03:54 AM

Posted By: ocean7847

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 03:54 AM

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: barnod
nice pics everyone!

bryce with fresh snowfall is a sight to see... the red and white contrast is excelllleeeent

Spring is a good time to go. We've caught snow at Sequoia, Yosemite, Bryce, Arches.

I love Bryce. Zion you're looking up at the canyon. The Grand Canyon you're looking down into the canyon, but Bryce is small and you walk into around and out of the canyon. On one hike we were descending into the canyon and a blizzard hit. Full white out. It only lasted about 15 minutes and then it was like a winter wonderland.

Arches with snow (in the background)-

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: picklestein
Here's a pic from our free campsite last month across the valley from the Tetons. In a couple weeks, I'm heading solo back to Jackson to knock off a couple hikes we didn't do. Then I'm off to 4 weeks in Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, and The Great Basin parks. Might add on Grand Canyon, but not sure. I'm super stocked.

This Spring we want to do Capitol Reef, the only park we haven't been to in Utah. We'll probably visit Monument Valley (for the third time). Not national park but definitely worth the visit. Judging from the photos, the Tetons should be on my bucket list, too.
Posted By: OneWorldEd

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 05:08 AM

Congaree National Park, South Carolina - biggest trees east of the Sierra Nevada.

Here's the story I wrote:
http://gardenandgun.com/article/discovering-southern-giants
Posted By: hammies

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 05:23 AM

Rocky Mountains NP. Awesome mountains, hardly anyone there. It's like 90% of Yosemite with 10% of the people.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: tacos
Rad pics everyone jam_on

Last week went to Grand Canyon and Zion. I'll try to post pics later.

I hadn't been to Grand Canyon since I was 8 years old and went to the North Rim (based on suggestions from a thread here a year or two ago) and it was incredible. Nice weather, no crowds, totally mellow. Stayed in an old cabin at Jacob Lake (~45 min away). Did a pretty mellow hike to Cape Final (4 miles round trip) which offered an incredible view of the canyon... however, a thunderstorm was approaching and the end of the hike is the highest point in the area... got the fvck down from there quick. Turned out there was some sleet back on the roads and the road we came up on was closed (and a hell of a mess) on the way back down.

Was my first time in Zion and loved it. Hiked almost 3 miles back in the Narrows--incredible. Didn't take our cameras cause we didn't want to get wet since you're walking in a stream the entire time, but here's some google photos. Would like to hike Angels Landing next time I'm there.

The Narrows is insane! jam_on

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 04:27 PM

Zion

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 04:28 PM

Death Valley

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 04:28 PM

Lassen

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 04:29 PM

Kings Canyon

Posted By: Mr_Stagger_Lee

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 04:30 PM

You guys are killing the shots! I gotta spend more time shooting outside.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 06:45 PM

Grand Canyon

Yosemite (7 years ago and last weekend)

A pair of bear cubs in an apple tree in Yosemite Valley

Posted By: Norm'

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 07:40 PM

President Obama designated a large swath of Maine’s North Woods as a new national monument Wednesday, creating what is likely to be the last large new national park ever established on the East Coast.

In a statement, the White House said the move aimed to honor the National Park Service’s centennial, which will take place Thursday. The move occurred almost exactly 100 years after President Woodrow Wilson established Sieur de Monts National Monument, which eventually became Maine’s sole existing national park, Acadia.
Posted By: JEwing

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 10:07 PM

Tunnel View, Yosemite National Park.
Posted By: Boneroni

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 10:36 PM

Great shots everyone! Makes me realize I need to get outside more!

While not strictly a national park, I thiought this good news belongs in this celebratory thread:

Obama creates the largest protected place on the planet, off Hawaii

"President Obama on Friday created the largest ecologically protected area on the planet when he expanded a national marine monument off the coast of his native Hawaii to encompass more than half a million square miles.

The president more than quadrupled the size of the Papahanaumokuakea (pronounced “Papa-ha-now-moh-koo-ah-kay-ah”) Marine National Monument to 582,578 square miles of land and sea in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands ................. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...49a6_story.html
Posted By: DerDer

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/26/16 10:53 PM

Kings Canyon NP
Posted By: _____

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 02:06 AM

Damn CA fires. Road, camping and trail closures and evacuations. Drove about halfway and talked with a friend near this weekend's destination. Turned around and headed back home. toilet
Posted By: picklestein

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 05:59 AM

Hey Joshua, great pics. On your first set of pics, which psychedelic hot caldron is that? That thing looks great. My trip is expanding to add Yellowstone, Mesa Verde, and maybe even The Grand Canyon. I'd love to score a permit to hike to The Wave way down south, but I'm not holding my breath. Good times this fall.
Posted By: ifallalot

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 06:46 AM

It just did. Damn I don't want to vote for Hillary but fook

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: picklestein
Hey Joshua, great pics. On your first set of pics, which psychedelic hot caldron is that? That thing looks great. My trip is expanding to add Yellowstone, Mesa Verde, and maybe even The Grand Canyon. I'd love to score a permit to hike to The Wave way down south, but I'm not holding my breath. Good times this fall. 🚙🏕🌅🏜🎣🚴☀️⛈🌲🐿🕷🦂👀😀🤓😍👍📸🗺🎉❤️X💯📖📝

Thanks! It's the Grand Prismatic Spring in the Midway Geyser Basin just a few miles north of Old Faithful. I climbed the hill across the valley to get a better view from up on the cliff...well worth the short, steep hike.

Have a great trip and good luck with the permit.

cheers
Posted By: GromsDad

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ifallalot

Our property in West Virginia was clear cut in the 1920s or 30s. Today it looks like a national park. Trees really do grow back. The only remnant of past logging activity are the old logging trails that snake around the mountain and make otherwise difficult terrain an enjoyable hike.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 01:08 PM

Deciduous, short-lived, shit east coast trees are not like the old-growth forests of the west. Our forests will never be able to grow back the same way as long as there is a high human population.
Posted By: kelly7873

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 01:55 PM

I took advantage of Every Kid in a Pack free pass this summer too, of course coming from Hawaii it probably only saved me 1% of the total trip cost. We went to Arches, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Dinosaur N.M., Grand Teton, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon.
Arches

Grand Teton

Yosemite from a couple years ago

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 04:15 PM

This thread is epic. Anyone who even tries to change the status of national parks should be tortured.

Besides the ocean, these parks are a great example of how cool our country is.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: GromsDad

Our property in West Virginia was clear cut in the 1920s or 30s. Today it looks like a national park. Trees really do grow back. The only remnant of past logging activity are the old logging trails that snake around the mountain and make otherwise difficult terrain an enjoyable hike.

Of course trees grow back. It took one hundred years in your neck of the woods. That means two generations only saw the devastation. In the Sierras old growth would take thousands of years to fully mature.

I can't be a total hypocrite- I love wood and use wood products a lot. I just think we should manage what we have and preserve fanatically what is left of the old growth.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 08/27/16 04:41 PM

Deciduous, short-lived, shit east coast trees are not like the old-growth forests of the west. Our forests will never be able to grow back the same way as long as there is a high human population.

roflmao cheers

was waiting for the "it grows back" comment.. classic it was via gromsdad

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/13/17 05:51 PM

FYI

Posted By: PES78

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/14/17 03:39 AM

Speaking of National Parks. I'm going to be in Vegas for a bit, what should I go see in Death Valley?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/14/17 04:48 PM

Drive in thru Shoshone, see bad water, maybe do artists palette (may be closed now) check out zabriske point or dantes view. For some easy hiking check out marble or golden canyons.
Posted By: PPK96754

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/14/17 06:28 PM

[

Able to purchase one when you're 62 y/o in which I did, while visiting the Pu'u Honua O' Ho'onau'nau Nationla Park on the Big Island of Hawaii

and also used at the Hawaii Volcano's National Park.

My location, prevents me from the Lower 48 National Parks but hopelfully in time I'll be able to enjoy what most of you have ..... ya lucky bastid's ~

bowdown
Posted By: PES78

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/15/17 02:40 AM

Thanks I'll check it out for sure. Pics on the google look real good
Posted By: bigsurfer67

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/15/17 05:54 AM

Great pics! Collected the state quartets & have them in a cool frame on the wall. Now doing the national park quarter series. Will have to find a frame for them as well once I acquire the set.
Posted By: brukuns

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/15/17 01:06 PM

Thank you for the National Parks, a lot of them still on my bucket list.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/15/17 04:34 PM

You can thank the greatest President in history for the parks
Posted By: PaulJensen

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/16/17 03:42 PM

Yesterday... Hurricane Ridge, Olympic National Park

Posted By: Norm'

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/16/17 05:43 PM

You can thank the greatest President in history for the parks

And John Muir.
Posted By: Mr Doof

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/20/17 10:49 PM

Summer vacation photos in Nat. Parks.

Zion (overlook near the tunnel)

Yosemite (oo, frazzle ice)

Death Valley (Manly Beacon and Mr Doof)

Top of Telescope Peak in Death Valley 65-70F at top, 110F a few miles over and down

A side canyon in Death Vally with nephew at 9 AM and 95F

Grand Canyon (looking down to where I took the next photo)

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/20/17 10:51 PM

This is the 'next photo' as mentioned above

Grand Canyon ( me looking up to sweetie-pie)

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/02/17 05:35 PM

Please see the addendum thread.

In the meantime, when is the best season to see Death Valley's bloom? I always check Death Valley when I check the weather radar and it has rained a lot this winter, not heavy but often.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/02/17 05:56 PM

Best season?

Why spring of course!

Lame-ass jokes aside, seeds need to germinate, plants need to grow, that needs heat and light, and cold snaps slow things down, heat waves speed things up, and thus it is a crap shoot year to year, but if you go towards start of April, then go up in elevation if spring came early and down in elevation if spring came slow, you will find something.

I err on the side of too soon rather than too late.

I like the canyons on the east side of Panamints best (access), but I hear tales of better stuff elsewhere.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/02/17 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
Best season?

Why spring of course!

Lame-ass jokes aside, seeds need to germinate, plants need to grow, that needs heat and light, and cold snaps slow things down, heat waves speed things up, and thus it is a crap shoot year to year, but if you go towards start of April, then go up in elevation if spring came early and down in elevation if spring came slow, you will find something.

I like the canyons on the east side of Panamints best (access), but I hear tales of better stuff elsewhere.

Do the Panamint Valleys require 4WD to access or is 2WD with a bit of clearance OK? I would see that Panamint gets slightly more rain. Also the range between the two valleys got a couple dustings of snow those lat couple of storms.
Posted By: ghostshaper

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/02/17 07:25 PM

amazing photos. I need to stop being so lazy and process/upload mine.

Had a parks pass the last two years (shouldn't have bought one last year b/c a 4th grader gets you into the parks for free), but money well spent.

Since summer of 2015:
Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce, Zion, Crater Lake, Death Valley, might be missing a couple

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/02/17 11:21 PM

My kids put together this National Parks display with books and maps of the parks/monuments they've been to...

Heading out to Zion in two weeks for my wife's birthday and we are currently planning a summer trip up the coast through PNW and over to Glacier.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/02/17 11:55 PM

...Glacier.

otherworldly

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/03/17 12:09 AM

...Glacier.

otherworldly

I can't wait...we were going to make our way up there last summer but felt like we needed more time there than we had. We're going to hit Lassen, Crater Lake and Glacier and a few other spots along the way this summer.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/03/17 02:21 AM

that'll be an epic trip. cheers
Posted By: Icu812

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/04/17 06:57 AM

Great thread! Always cool seeing photos of our awesome National Parks.
Glacier Bay NP...there are 2 bald eagles in this shot

Same bay, different glacier...dirty glacier coming out of Canada

Closer to home, while technically not in Yosemite NP (Ansel Adams Wilderness), one of the bluest lakes I've ever seen. Lake Catherine, at the base of Banner Peak and Mt. Ritter. To keep it surf related, we were camped by Thousand Island Lake before we hiked up here and a crew of folks came by that had just claimed to be the first ones to ever SUP this lake shrug They had backpaced an inflatable SUP up there...
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/06/17 04:49 PM

Grom's Penis: out West they replant clear cuts into Dougie Fir plantations which lack the biodiversity of the original clear cut. Our Eastern forests are much different.

Ifall we do have some pretty suite trees still, but obviously no old growth. Some pretty suite sand plain communities too.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/06/17 06:33 PM

Best season?

Why spring of course!

Do the Panamint Valleys require 4WD to access or is 2WD with a bit of clearance OK? I would see that Panamint gets slightly more rain. Also the range between the two valleys got a couple dustings of snow those lat couple of storms.

big gradient in % of average precip for water year to date> lone observation site at visitor center is 50% avg to date and 200%+above average along Sierras. west portion of park seems like best call w/ current situation.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/07/17 05:35 PM

Panamint Valley has a paved road going N/S.

[img]http://www.panoramio.com/photo/108214956?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com#[/img]

Going up to Beehive Kilns on Wildrose is unpaved but totally doable in 2-wheel car...I've made it to the top (Mahogany Flat) in front wheel drive 84 sedan back in the mid 90s. Check the road report before you go, because that road can wash out easily and if the snow melts fast, there will be a few water crossings.

Trail and Suprise Canyons from P.V. is doable for a a good while in 2 wheel car too.
Posted By: r32

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/07/17 09:50 PM

FYI, Lower and Upper Wildrose are closed. So is Titus Canyon, Keane Wonder Mine, and Scotty's Castle due to road damage and higher roads due to snow. I was just there.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/07/17 10:26 PM

^ Thanks.

I found Janet's site useful over the years.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/17 11:11 PM

We just did a quick 4 day trip to Zion for my wife's birthday. It was raining off and on all weekend but we still had an amazing time. Here are a few pics from the weekend...

My kids on the Riverside Walk along the Virgin River on the way to the Narrows.

The entrance to the Narrows.

Looking over at Angels Landing.

Panorama from Scout Lookout.

Upper and Lower Emerald Pool falls.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/17 11:12 PM

Awesome.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/17 11:14 PM

Awesome.

smile2

Overlooking the canyon.

One of the locals.

And to make it surf related...getting pitted at the entrance to the Narrows.

wink2

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/10/17 09:38 PM

Here are some upcoming 'free entrance' days at the National Parks. computer

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/10/17 09:50 PM

Going to Death Valley this weekend.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/10/17 10:00 PM

Nice! We're thinking about a quick trip out to Joshua Tree next weekend.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/10/17 10:59 PM

Going to Death Valley this weekend.

I'm leaving for same on the 17th for 4 nights. Looking forward to it.

By the way, the moon will be really close to Jupiter tonight.

Get your binoculars out and take a took at the bright 'star' next to the moon....you'll know what 'star' I am talking about when you see it, that is Jupiter. I could see 3 of the 4 Galilean Moons last night at 8:45 PM from the front door step of my abode even in light polluted San Francisco.

Will put the binoculars on a tripod tonight and see if I can take a photo through them.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/10/17 11:17 PM

We just did a quick 4 day trip to Zion for my wife's birthday. It was raining off and on all weekend but we still had an amazing time. Here are a few pics from the weekend...

The entrance to the Narrows.

Looking over at Angels Landing.

Super photos.

I like these two best.

Too rainy/slippery to try for top of Angels Landing? How warm was it when you took this snap?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/10/17 11:41 PM

Thanks Mr. Doof! Yes, between the rain & crowds, I wasn't comfortable taking the kids all the way to the top of Angel's Landing. Temp was in the low/mid 50's. Perfect hiking weather, just a little slippery in spots.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/10/17 11:55 PM

That chain would have been slick in the wet, and those smooth footholds are slippery when dry....

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 11/10/17 08:28 PM

Free entrance at National Parks this weekend! jam_on

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 12/05/17 06:01 PM

Going to Pinnacles NP in two weeks for four nights before Christmas. It was a National Momument that Obama designated a National Park. Being a Obama era designation it's probably in the crosshairs.

Any suggestions?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 12/05/17 06:06 PM

Pinnacles is cool and beautiful, but doesn't really compare with most other NP's, imo.

Do both cave hikes and the Pinnacles hike, for sure, but not sure there's much more than that....?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 12/05/17 06:59 PM

High Peaks trail looped in with the talus caves is easy enough for me and mine to get the various sets of nieces/nephews....all day hike though*. It is a small park, comparatively, so 4 nights should give you plenty of time to see it all. Bring blankets and binoculars for the stars at night....laying down and looking up can be pretty nifty for kids who don't know the dark of the countryside.

* - I am sure when I am lying in bed dying and asking for a someone to get me a drink, the various sets of nieces/nephews will troop past the bed and say, "Remember High Peaks trail? Remember me complaining about the heat and me being thirsty and you saying, 'Well, I'm carrying your back up water, and I told you not to guzzle yours it all earlier, and you ignored me, so now I have to ration whats left,' well, Uncle Doof I'm rationing your water now!"
Posted By: test_article

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 12/06/17 11:32 AM

Big Bend

Posted By: abalone

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 12/06/17 05:44 PM

Going to Pinnacles NP in two weeks for four nights before Christmas...Any suggestions?

The rock formations are really cool, and If you're a rock climber or a lover of geology, you'll be happy. Neenach is the other half of Pinnacles and 200 miles south near Lancaster where Pinnacles originated; been moving north at ~1"/year like the rest of California that's west of the San Andreas Fault. I've had good luck in seeing the California condor while hiking Pinnacles, also eagles and falcons. Bring good binoculars. Hiking trails not difficult, nor especially long; I think all are under 10 miles. I usually go in the West Entrance via Soledad, and the Visitor Center there is worth a stop. The caves are interesting, but sometimes closed to give the bats their space. Four nights seems like a lot, IMHO. San Juan Bautista is about 45 minutes away and worth a visit.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/03/18 03:10 AM

Quick update- went to Pinnacles the week before Christmas. Up the 101 we were passed by over 100 police cars (helping with evacuations?). Pinnacle was cold. I woke up the first morning thirsty and ever liquid was frozen solid. It was uncrowded. We were alone on our loop in the campsite. Trails were almost all deserted. If you like solitude Pinnacles, at least that week was perfect. Going home on highway 25 we only passed one car. One.

Pinnacles form the south-

Empty Highway 25

Police convey on the 101

Fall colors

Drunk trees

Love this pic of lichens that my daughter took

Posted By: Leaverite

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/03/18 03:14 AM

Death Valley would be an awesome destination right now. As long as you have a seriously good 4WD.

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/03/18 03:14 AM

Just outside Pinnacles East Entrance

This shows how cold it was. Dishwater from the night before-

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/03/18 03:20 AM

Pinnacles is cool. Farther to the south and east is Clear Creek. The New Idrea mining district. 300,000 acres of BLM land. Home of the Jouaquin Rocks, home base for Jouaquin Murietta, central Ca bandit.

As remote as remote gets. Winter/early spring only.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/03/18 03:25 AM

BLM, so dispersed camping is OK?

The cold at Pinnacles was compounded by the campfire ban, but having driven through the Thomas fire on the way up it was totally understandable. I'm always obsessed with ensuring that I have cold beer when camping and when we got to Pinnacles the first thing I did was buy a bag of ice at the Visitor Center. In retrospect the lady there must have thought I was crazy

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/03/18 03:34 AM

You have to apply in advance to the Hollister BLM office to get entrance down there. Gates, locks, combinations. There are no campgrounds. Squirrley narrow dirt roads, mountain lions, golden eagles. A 100 miles away from anywhere. The rocks have a weird energy. A whole spanish cult used to worship there back in the 1800's. Makes the Pinnacles look like a picnic.

Do a search on the New Idrea mining district.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/20/18 11:44 PM

My family and I just spent 4 days in Death Valley for my wife's birthday. Weather was absolutely perfect...mid to high 70's and clear, blue skies. We could not have asked for a better weekend and there was so much to do out there. Thanks for the tips Kento! cheers

We drove up the 395 and stopped by Manzanar before heading over to DV.

We drove in through Panamint Springs and hiked out to Darwin Falls. Then drove through Stovepipe Wells and checked out the Mesquite Sand Dunes.

Saturday we drove out to Rhyolite to check out the old ghost town and then drove through Titus Canyon...what an amazing drive!
Here are a couple clips driving in from the road and through one of the valleys.
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/20/18 11:52 PM

After Titus, we made our way up through Ubehebe Crater and out to the Racetrack to see the 'moving' rocks.
The Grandstand out on the lakebed.

The moving rocks...I don't think midday is the best lighting to capture the moving effect but you can still see the trails.

Stopped by Teakettle Junction on the way out to the Racetrack.

We also visited Badwater Basin, Devil's Golf Course and many other canyons & lookouts along the valley.
Zabriskie Point

Sunset horseback ride out of Furnace Creek.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/20/18 11:56 PM

Some of the random ghost town, gold mine stops throughout the park...
Rhyolite

Leadfield in the middle of Titus Canyon

Skidoo - out of Stovepipe Wells

Charcoal Kilns in Wildrose.
Posted By: Kento

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/18 12:07 AM

Nice! Sounds like you had a great trip out there and really lucked out with the weather. Stocked you got to do Titus Canyon! I love that drive. Looks like the road was in pretty decent shape too. jam_on

End of March/early April, family and I are going to Zion. That's the next big trip going down. Can't wait. Have the kids so can't do hikes like Angels Landing. Weeping Rock, Riverside Walk, Emerald Pools are some planned hikes. Any other suggestions that are within the abilities of 3 and 5 year old? They're good with bouldering and can probably do 2-3 miles in one stretch, given not too much elevation change. Can carry the boy aka Lead Butt in the ergo carrier.
Posted By: ringer

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/18 12:20 AM

My older daughter just this week started a pretty nice job in Durango, Colorado. She decided to live a bit outside town near Mancos, 5 minutes from the entrance gate to Mesa Verde National Park. Here is her living room view towards the National Park from the house she is renting, located on 20 acres:

[img]https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11093-Road-40-5-Mancos-CO-81328/2126275062_zpid/[/img]

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/18 12:23 AM

Yeah, the ranger said that they had some rain early January and the road hadn't been groomed since, but the roads were in great shape overall. There were a few pretty bumpy sections mid canyon where all the really tight turns are, but we were going slow through those turns anyway. We really did score with weather. Sunday evening the winds started picking up and it was full on sand storms blowing through the night. The winds calmed down Monday morning but it was quite a bit colder.

I'd definitely recommend the hikes you listed as doable for the kids. I wouldn't recommend the whole 7+ mile Sand Bench Trail, but you could start at the Court of the Patriarchs and hike out a little ways and turn around. Also, drive up Zion Mount Carmel Hwy through the tunnel to Checkerboard Mesa. There are lots of little spots where you can park in a turnout and go explore. There are some bouldering and creek areas that are nice for picnics with the family. There's also the Canyon Overlook Trail up there that is just over a mile round trip. March/April should be a great time to be in Zion!

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/18 12:49 AM

Yeah, the ranger said that they had some rain early January and the road hadn't been groomed since, but the roads were in great shape overall. There were a few pretty bumpy sections mid canyon where all the really tight turns are, but we were going slow through those turns anyway. We really did score with weather. Sunday evening the winds started picking up and it was full on sand storms blowing through the night. The winds calmed down Monday morning but it was quite a bit colder.

I'd definitely recommend the hikes you listed as doable for the kids. I wouldn't recommend the whole 7+ mile Sand Bench Trail, but you could start at the Court of the Patriarchs and hike out a little ways and turn around. Also, drive up Zion Mount Carmel Hwy through the tunnel to Checkerboard Mesa. There are lots of little spots where you can park in a turnout and go explore. There are some bouldering and creek areas that are nice for picnics with the family. There's also the Canyon Overlook Trail up there that is just over a mile round trip. March/April should be a great time to be in Zion!

Thanks! That's a great idea with Checkerboard Mesa. We are staying at Ponderosa Ranch which is pretty close by and will be passing that area each day. Little short hikes are much more preferable than a long hike (my daughter mutinied on the way back from Dripping Cave in Wood Canyon, earning her the nickname Coyote Bait roflmao ) as it gives the kids a chance to recharge a bit.

Will be close to 6 years to the day that I proposed to my wife in Zion. smile2

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/18 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Kento
Nice! Sounds like you had a great trip out there and really lucked out with the weather. Stocked you got to do Titus Canyon! I love that drive. Looks like the road was in pretty decent shape too. jam_on

End of March/early April, family and I are going to Zion. That's the next big trip going down. Can't wait. Have the kids so can't do hikes like Angels Landing. Weeping Rock, Riverside Walk, Emerald Pools are some planned hikes. Any other suggestions that are within the abilities of 3 and 5 year old? They're good with bouldering and can probably do 2-3 miles in one stretch, given not too much elevation change. Can carry the boy aka Lead Butt in the ergo carrier.

They 'might' be able to make it to the top of Walter's Wiggles on the way to Angels Landing:

The view from the top is pretty good, and more importantly, will give your kids a reason to go back ("We have to go back next year, dad, so we can climb to the top!"

PS

If you go east on 9 past the long tunnel and then past the 2nd short tunnel, and before Checkerboard, try to find a place to pull out and park, then walk south through a gap,,,,no trail, but easy walking. There is another canyon to view on the other side, very few ever get there. Even if you can't make it all there, the off-trail walking is great fun.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/21/18 11:01 PM

Angels Landing will probably have to wait a couple years for the kids. Ditto The Narrows which looks quite awesome. Apparently where we are staying has child care but it doesn't start until a couple weeks after our trip. D'oh!!

Google Earth, my ultimate sidetracking device. Checked out some of those little gaps there. Looks like one straight south of smaller tunnel. I love that kind of stuff. Looks like a seriously fun hike through there. Kind of walks the kids love too. cheers

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/22/18 07:42 PM

I wrote that poorly....

With your help (carrying the youngest as needed), they can get to the top of Walter's Wiggles.

From there, they can see the top of Angels Landing...that is the 'top' they will want to return to later.

Or not, depending if they (or you) remember how hard the WWs are.

Even going up a little way, before WWs, gives one an interesting view.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/22/18 07:48 PM

I wrote that poorly....

With your help (carrying the youngest as needed), they can get to the top of Walter's Wiggles.

From there, they can see the top of Angels Landing...that is the 'top' they will want to return to later.

Or not, depending if they (or you) remember how hard the WWs are.

Even going up a little way, before WWs, gives one an interesting view.

I can see it now. Carrying the boy in the ergo while my daughter is on my shoulders, farting into her brother's face. In other words, a repeat of the hike to Vernal Falls lookout bridge in Yosemite. roflmao

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/23/18 08:09 PM

Your daughter is 5, right?

Make her walk, and carry her own water.

See if you can get your wife to race her to the top while you walk up.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/23/18 08:25 PM

I've found that bribing the kids really helps them gain energy and willingness to complete the hike.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/23/18 08:26 PM

Your daughter is 5, right?

Make her walk, and carry her own water.

See if you can get your wife to race her to the top while you walk up.

That's what we do. And my daughter is very competitive so we tell her she's going to lose and that usually motivates her to move her keister a little faster. roflmao
Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 02/24/18 04:09 AM

They 'might' be able to make it to the top of Walter's Wiggles on the way to Angels Landing:

Was just there this week. It snowed quite a bit the first day, so we waited two days to do Angel's... There was still a ton of snow and ice up those switchbacks, Microspikes were a must. Got about 3/4 of the way up the wiggles and it turned into total luge - no snow, just thick solid ice. Now granted, you cannot slide off most of the higher switchbacks in that part because there's solid rock you'd hit.

But it just so happened that the luge began on the only high switchback with a stone wall.. and the stone wall just happened to have been broken out shocked. roflmao

We had no qualms about turning our asses around, IMO there was no truly safe way to continue.

And looking down at the bottom and seeing the number of dumbfcks attempting to traverse the ice in sneakers (none of them ever made it past the first switchback), and then sliding back down on their assess, hands and knees, etc. as others were coming up attempting the same... crazy2

I'd think twice about taking young kids on that hike - not cause the kids can't handle it but for the fact they don't have an eye to anticipate stupid idiots yet - and Angel's Landing is full of stupid idiots by all accounts.

Also saw other nonsense occurring toward dark the first first day of the snow as Hidden Canyon trail began to ice...nothing but sneakers and a coat as the snow poured down roflmao...

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 12:36 AM

We were recently in Sequoia NP. I'll spare you the usual photos of giant tree trunks. They never capture the true grandeur of those trees anyways.

I will share a couple photos of the Buck Rock Fire Lookout. It's a 8 mile dirt road. I had asked at the Visitor Center if it was makeable in my 2WD VW Westfalia. I spoke to two different rangers. One said, "No." The other said he had a 2WD Jeep and made it, but bottomed out twice. I figured we'd have a look.

Just as we got on the dirt part of the road a truck was coming out. It turned out to be a ranger. I asked him if he thought my car would make it. He took a long look and said, "It'll be dicey in a few spots....but I think you can make it." Great. We pressed on. My wife, who is from Italy, asked, "What does 'dicey' mean?" I had to think of a good way to explain. "Mmmmm, like fun...exciting."

The road was pretty bad and we hit one smooth, sand covered boulder that made us slide sideways about three feet and had us all going, "Whoaaa!" The ranger who worked at the lookout suggested the other road out the back was better, not much better, but better. We took it out. It was better but it had the steep drop offs on the side, whereas the "bad" road did not. So a mistake on the bad road and we might flip over. A mistake on the good road and we might die. I'm sure the Rubicon Rock Crawlers would laugh at this road. For us it was a fun little adventure.

Anyways, I highly recommend a visit if you're ever in Sequoia (it's actually not in the National Park but is right between Grant Grove and the Giant Forest in the National Forest).

Also, one last suggestion- if you have not seen Ken Burns documentary series "The National Parks- America's Best Idea," see it! Great, inspirational film. And the acoustic guitar intro music is really nice.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 02:05 AM

Not a National Park, National Forest instead...

We were camping at the beginning of June up in the Plumas National forest, Lakes Basin area.

This is the fire lookout on the Sierra Buttes, which overlooks Lakes Basin.

We did a hike up to the top. Amazing view .

The chutes off of the Sierra Buttes are big for back country extreme skiiers when we have a good winter.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 03:48 AM

Nice.

They must have been on pretty high alert up there.

We were in Lassen a couple years ago. The highlight for me was hiking out to, up and then into the Cinder Cone. I want to try it at night some day. Or rather, some night.

Up at Buck Rock the Central Valley looked chocked with smoke, but the ranger there said it is almost always like that- smog from the Bay area enters the valley and circulates down but gets trapped at the southern end. She said only a rare day in the winter is clear and when it is, you can make out the Coast Range...

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 03:53 AM

I hope and pray every year the Lakes Basin (and the Willow Creek drainage) gets spared.

Up there and in Big Sur the forest service roads are the front line of defense for fire. Allowing people to keep those roads open and clear benefits eveybody.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 04:10 AM

A few pics from Lassen NP, at the Cinder Cone. To get to the Cinder Cone you have to exit the park and then drive around and back down into the park form the north, on another dirt road (this one is easy, just washboard).

The Cone-

Going up the Cone. It's only 700 feet if I recall correctly , but for every step you take in the loose lava rock you slide back down about a half a step.

That's me down in the Cone. For some reason no one else came down, ??

Zoomed in-

The reason I'm laying down was to get the "celestial vaulting" effect. I learned that working for James Turrell in Arizona (google "Roden Crater"). It feels like you're inside the earth, looking out a little hole. Totally trippy. Impossible effect to photograph. this is where I want to camp at night.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 04:17 AM

Nice.

They must have been on pretty high alert up there.

We were in Lassen a couple years ago. The highlight for me was hiking out to, up and then into the Cinder. Cone. I want to try it at night some day.Or rather, some night.

Up at Buck Rock the Central Valley looked chocked with smoke but the ranger there said it is aomost always like that- smog from the Bay area enters the valley and circulates down but gets trapped at the southern end. She said only a rare day int the winter is clear and when it is you can make out the coast range...

One of the best things about climbing up there on a windy, clear day was being able to see Mt. Lassen clearly to the north.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Leaverite
I hope and pray every year the Lakes Basin (and the Willow Creek drainage) gets spared.

Up there and in Big Sur the forest service roads are the front line of defense for fire. Allowing people to keep those roads open and clear benefits eveybody.

I would have no qualms about diverting a little of our defense budget to the Forest Service and CalFire. I saw some of the CalFire crews on the move when we were up there and and I tip my hat to them.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 04:19 AM

Mt. Lassen.

Did you do the Bumpass Hell loop???

This makes you think. Geysers, mud pots, hot pools. On the side of a volcano,

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 04:22 AM

Plaskett Creek Rd. Being pattrolled lately by USFS and Hunter Liggett Feds. You fvck up up there now,
everybody gets rousted.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 04:22 AM

Mt. Lassen.

Did you do the Bumpass Hell loop???

This makes you think. Geysers, mud pots, hot pools. On the side of a volcano,

Yes. Not my favorite hike. Unless you like egg farts.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 04:27 AM

Mount Lassen is an active volcano.

https://youtu.be/nZD9K4q55jk

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 06:17 AM

Patrolman, that place looks awesome. I've been wanting to go there for a while.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/01/18 02:52 PM

Buck Rock or Lassen?

Here's that acoustic guitar intro to the Ken Burns documentary. A must see for anyone who visits the parks.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/03/18 01:03 AM

I really liked the Plumas NF this year. It's about 35 miles north of Truckee.

6300' altitude, there are about 20 lakes in lakes basin. Old spruce forest. Great fishing with the lakes and 100's of streams running into and out of them.

Some really old school type fishing and hunting lodges. NF campgrounds, $10 a night for the ones that charge. The more inaccessible ones are free. They all have picnic tables, fire pits and bear boxes. Same as what you get at Plaskett for $35/night, minus the racoon box. Also pit toilets, but more modern, solar composting models.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/04/18 02:01 AM

Buck Rock or Lassen?

Here's that acoustic guitar intro to the Ken Burns documentary. A must see for anyone who visits the parks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LkZNgV-Mqoo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lassen. The Buck Rock station there is intriguing though. Looks like an incredible view from the top. I climbed Bertha Peak in Big Bear last night around 2 AM. Pics didn't turn out unfortunately but was supremely peaceful given the crowds during the day. Spooky up on that weather station at the top which was a bit in disarray to say the least. Hills have Eyes kind of vibe at times. Really cool at the same time with just the lights on the lake under Mars and milky way.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/04/18 09:21 PM

My family and I just returned from a 16 day road trip that took us through 5 national parks. First stop was Redwoods National & State Park. A few of our highlights were kayaking down the Smith River, hiking through Stout Grove, and driving out to and hiking through Fern Canyon.

Drury scenic drive

Stout Grove

Fern Canyon

From there, we drove up to Olympic National Park and stayed at Kalaloch Campground at the beach for a few days.

Tide pools were amazing!

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/04/18 09:26 PM

More tide pool action.

Then we camped at Sol Duc for a few days and did a lot of hiking...Sol Duc falls, Hoh rainforest, Hurricane Ridge, and on and on...

Then we drove south and camped at Cape Disappointment for a few days and hiked around the beaches and nearby trails and drove across the Columbia River and visited Astoria and the Lewis & Clark National Park.

Deadman's cove

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/04/18 09:31 PM

Next stop was Oregon Caves National Park just outside of Cave Junction. The cave tour was definitely one of the best parts of our trip...two miles through an active marble cave!

Our last destination was Pinnacles National Park.

We hiked out through the canyon up Balaconies and Cave trails hoping to see some condors, but never did.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 09/09/18 02:52 PM

Just counted from the list of parks: we've been to 19/58. Thinking about glacier next summer and all the way up to Alaska, which has at least 6. Not sure the new rig (2wd van) can handle it though. Anyone drive up there?
Posted By: afoaf

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 10/09/18 09:04 PM

does anyone have any reccos on National Parks during Christmas...

southwestern states, no snow on roadways, water activities (fishing)

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 10/09/18 11:15 PM

We did Grand canyon, arches, Bryce, and Zion on winter break: snowed on us at every park. Sold the 2wd tundra and got a 4wd. Now back to 2wd van.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 10/10/18 12:07 AM

Grand Canyon during winter....North Rim will be closed

South Rim can have snow. Careful of the ice on trail (in shade usually).

Organ Pipe Nat Monument pretty much shouldn't have snow, but other stuff in SW can be at elevation so snow can be very likely.

There is a volcano in NM right at the edge of the mountains and the start of the prairie. Sierra Grande. No fishing as far as I know. But it came be snow free in early winter. it is near Des Moines, NM. More interesting and lower is Capulin cinder cone. You can hike it even it is snowed in. Maybe see dino tracks at Clayton Lake NM, but there are better tracks elsewhere.

But if you go to NM, you'd be sad if you didn't do White Sands, then later go hiking in the barrenness of the black lava in Valley of Fire. Again, no water.

Water is in the north. Start in Farmington. Run into elevation problems quick though.
Posted By: Bayview

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 10/10/18 12:29 AM

Never done Glacier to Alaska. Did Glacier to Jasper, very doable. Watch wildfire season. British Columbia and Alberta were a mess this year, not sure if you could make it Glacier to Alaska through BC/AB. Enjoyed every trip to Glacier. Howe Ridge fire did some damage around Lake McDonald this year & Sprague fire in 2017 to Sperry Chalet. Suggest to go early in season Jun/Jul. Avoid Jul/Aug. Bear spray. Bear spray. Bear spray.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 04:20 AM

Anyone visit a National Park during the shutdown? We were going to go to Joshua Tree but decided against it after hearing rumors of piles of trash, closed restrooms, people defecating any where they could. The sub freezing temps were also not inviting. Been hearing bad thing sabout Yosemite, people 4 wheeling in restricted areas and what not. Distressing to hear about the defilement of such beautiful places....
Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 04:26 AM

Subfreezing temps are the best time for the desert. Basically the only time you can take maximum advantage of what the desert has to offer...

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Subfreezing temps are the best time for the desert. Basically the only time you can take maximum advantage of what the desert has to offer...

We had an experience at Pinnacles NP last winter (page 10 of this thread). It was unexpected. As soon as we got to the campground I went to the camp store to buy ice. foreheadslap I have this obsessive need for ice cold beer after hiking shrug

We woke up the next morning and everything was frozen. All our liquids, The campground taps. 1.5 liter bottles frozen solid. We couldn't drink anything for hours. I've learned to always have water in a pot before going to bed so I can heat it up and melt it in te morning.

I still would have gone but the wife and kid gave me the thumbs down.
Posted By: Oceanslide

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 05:25 AM

Article in the UT mentioning a free for all with trash everywhere, no toilets,
and only volunteers trying to keep JT and other parks remotely clean.
Our government blows.
Posted By: the janitor

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 05:43 AM

We had an experience at Pinnacles NP last winter (page 10 of this thread). It was unexpected. As soon as we got to the campground I went to the camp store to buy ice. foreheadslap I have this obsessive need for ice cold beer after hiking shrug

We woke up the next morning and everything was frozen. All our liquids, The campground taps. 1.5 liter bottles frozen solid. We couldn't drink anything for hours. I've learned to always have water in a pot before going to bed so I can heat it up and melt it in te morning.

ohhh, good tip, thanks cheers

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 09:55 AM

Wtf is wrong w people that they ruin a common resource just bc there's no official around to police them? No moral compass?

Isnt this why God was invented? Or santa?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 01:48 PM

They should have installed cameras and shot all offenders

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper
Wtf is wrong w people that they ruin a common resource just bc there's no official around to police them? No moral compass?

Bingo

People are whining about daddy gubmint not being there to police the people instead of pointing the blame at the real problem- entitled pieces of shit
Posted By: BillyOcean

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 03:25 PM

One time I was walking in the Bronx and this lady in front of me was eating a basket of chicken wings as she walked down the sidewalk. As she finished each wing, she just dropped the gnawed bone on the sidewalk like it was totally ordinary.

I think this is > 50% of the population

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 03:39 PM

Bingo

People are whining about daddy gubmint not being there to police the people instead of pointing the blame at the real problem- entitled pieces of shit

And that's why your libertarian fantasy falls the f*ck apart - way too many entitled idiots (mostly with the libertarian bent) that require regulation.

I suggest putting the offenders in stocks for a week outside the park entrance and seeing if they can be made more splattered with foulness than the Jumbo Rocks/Glacier Point toilets.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 04:29 PM

Death Valley, December 2018

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 05:02 PM

Bingo

And that's why your libertarian fantasy falls the f*ck apart - way too many entitled idiots (mostly with the libertarian bent) that require regulation.

I suggest putting the offenders in stocks for a week outside the park entrance and seeing if they can be made more splattered with foulness than the Jumbo Rocks/Glacier Point toilets.

Wrong. The entitled idiots have grown up with a worldview that they don't have to be self-sufficient and that there will always be someone to pick up after them and catch them when they fall. Hence, the entitlement.

The regulation doesn't stop them from being stupid pigs, there's just someone cleaning up after them usually.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 05:42 PM

I had a friend in high school who used to get off on littering

He would be all giddy after he did it

Like a pyro but with litter

Is there a name for that?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 05:47 PM

Great pics afoaf! Is that first one on the road out to Skidoo? Love the contrast of the charcoal kilns covered in snow. cheers

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
I had a friend in high school who used to get off on littering

He would be all giddy after he did it

Like a pyro but with litter

Is there a name for that?

asshole shrug

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 05:54 PM

Bingo

Wrong. The entitled idiots have grown up with a worldview that they don't have to be self-sufficient and that there will always be someone to pick up after them and catch them when they fall. Hence, the entitlement.

The regulation doesn't stop them from being stupid pigs, there's just someone cleaning up after them usually.

It slows them down a lot more when they're fined for littering.

Where you are getting the perspective wrong is that in their eyes, they are self-sufficient. While they are clueless regarding the Leave No Trace concept, they're not going to allow regulation or government to get in their way of their image of self-sufficiency. The people that crow the most about libertarian ideals are the worst kind of spoiled children and they are the ones most in need of regulation. Go to any off-the-grid property and see the squalor and trash for yourself.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:08 PM

roflmao

You have a great talent for applying your own biases onto people who you disagree with

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:11 PM

Nice pics, afoaf!

On subject of Death Valley, have you read about the search for the German family? Great write-up.

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Oh and just for fun, for those who do a lot of hiking, I'll just leave this here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit....#ampf=undefined

crazy2 crazy2

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:15 PM

The German story is so gnarly

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:17 PM

roflmao

You have a great talent for applying your own biases onto people who you disagree with

Or maybe you have an idealistic view of things that are not based on actual observation and experience. socrazy

For instance, you complain about people not being able to rebuild in Holy Jim Canyon after the fires but have you ever even driven up Trabuco Creek Road to understand why logistics of that would be unfeasible, especially when trying to minimize environmental impact?
Posted By: littlewave

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:19 PM

Nice pics, afoaf!

On subject of Death Valley, have you read about the search for the German family? Great write-up.

Oh and just for fun, for those who do a lot of hiking, I'll just leave this here:

crazy2 crazy2
Otherhand is one of my favorite websites. I've read the German story 4 or 5 times over the years.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:25 PM

The German story is so gnarly

Cascade of bad decisions. Driving in washes is hard enough, forget it in a minivan. Unfortunately, while they should have stayed in the Geologist hut, the concept behind going onto China Lake base was a good one. They had no way of knowing the remoteness of the base formed the boundary instead of a wall or sentries.

Desert is beautiful but deadly, especially if unprepared.

Hopefully not too many try to retrace their steps a la Magic Bus on Stampede Trail in Alaska.

Nature is callously indifferent to one's plans.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: littlewave
Nice pics, afoaf!

crazy2 crazy2
Otherhand is one of my favorite websites. I've read the German story 4 or 5 times over the years.

I know PPK does a lot of SAR. Be interesting to hear some of his takes on crazy shit he's seen on the job. Bet he has some stories.

On other note, part of me really would love to construct random staircases in the deep forest just for fun. computer

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:32 PM

roflmao

Or maybe you have an idealistic view of things that are not based on actual observation and experience. socrazy

For instance, you complain about people not being able to rebuild in Holy Jim Canyon after the fires but have you ever even driven up Trabuco Creek Road to understand why logistics of that would be unfeasible, especially when trying to minimize environmental impact?

I thought you were the one complaining about people not being able to rebuild? Wasn't it just government telling them they couldn't rebuild? The actual logistics were never discussed

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:35 PM

You sure the actual logistics weren’t discussed?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:37 PM

In the discussion between Kento and I? No.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:40 PM

roflmao

I thought you were the one complaining about people not being able to rebuild? Wasn't it just government telling them they couldn't rebuild? The actual logistics were never discussed

I was complaining about the Sovereign Citizen libertarian poster boy burning the whole shit down so no one can access that and surrounding areas for a long time (at least 2-3 years). I thought you were the one who complained about people not being able to rebuild in National Forest. shrug

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 06:41 PM

In the discussion between Kento and I? No.

No, I just brought it up now. That road would be very tough to haul any kind of heavy equipment through.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 07:08 PM

Why would you want to build, or encourage building, in national forest land?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 07:13 PM

I don't. It was ifallalot's gripe about government overreach.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 07:18 PM

Not an NP, but my family just spent 5 days up in Alabama Hills between Christmas and New Years. Freezing temps due to the winds first couple of days but it warmed up Sat/Sun once the winds died down. There is so much to do/see in that area!

Posted By: FecalFace

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 07:18 PM

Bingo

Gotta love the fact that he thinks that evil gubmint is not necessary and then proves that it's necessary in the very same post.

roflmao socrazy

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 08:10 PM

Yeah didn’t think you did. Hit reply to you like a n00b

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 08:26 PM

The cabins were already there, and at this point, are historical. Not to mention they are people's private property despite the land they are located on. The government has no right to take away their property

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: FecalFace

Bingo

Gotta love the fact that he thinks that evil gubmint is not necessary and then proves that it's necessary in the very same post.

roflmao socrazy

What's necessary? People to clean up after other people who are pieces of shit?

If those people actually had to have responsibility for themselves without someone to always come wipe their asses when they shit themselves they would have that responsibility or they would die.

Where do you guys think this entitlement comes from?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 08:59 PM

The cabins were already there, and at this point, are historical. Not to mention they are people's private property despite the land they are located on. The government has no right to take away their property

I'm guessing their insurance will compensate them for the loss. While they could conceivably keep the land, seeing as they can't rebuild, I think it would be fair for the government to additionally reimburse them for the value of their lot. If you had ever driven up that way, you'd understand how difficult/costly it would be to ferry materials and heavy equipment up there. Not impossible but very impractical.

Of course, none of this situation would have occurred if not for the arsonist. Maybe, just maybe we should think about indefinitely institutionalizing the mentally deranged. Pretty easy to identify them - just go onto any major media outlet's (Infowars, Breitbart, even more so) comment threads - instant screening. socrazy

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 09:00 PM

Bring back eugenics

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 09:07 PM

Bring back eugenics

who's going to impose it? I'm all for forced sterilization, but we're gonna need the govt to force it. start w/ the aholes in the NPs that are ruining it for everybody.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 09:20 PM

Bring back eugenics

who's going to impose it? I'm all for forced sterilization, but we're gonna need the govt to force it. start w/ the aholes in the NPs that are ruining it for everybody.

Deep state clerks running eugenics program will make ifallalot's head explode roflmao

But yes, you look at the wingnuts claiming flat Earth, faked moon landings (and yes, Steph Curry recently passed John Starks on the stupid athlete index), lizard people, vaccines cause autism, etc., some degree of sterilization is in order.

With the NP assholes, maybe not sterilization but at least some kind of medieval shaming is in order. Immersing them in a busy pit toilet is good too. cookin

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 09:21 PM

Singapore canes people who spit gum on the ground

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 09:38 PM

The faked moon landing thing is getting big again. I wonder what the next conspiracy trend is going to be

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: the janitor

I am sure the raccoons and/or feral pigs at Pinnacles will appreciate the clean (liquid) water in a pot at your campsite.

Thankfully I learned not to do this by overhearing of other people's involuntary wild-life feeding/watering experiences.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 09:56 PM

The faked moon landing thing is getting big again. I wonder what the next conspiracy trend is going to be

Keeping it nature related, the staircases in the forest one seems to be gaining a little traction. shrug

Hiking Bertha Peak in Big Bear solo around midnight/1 AM was creepy as hell. Very disconcerting that standing close to the support building shut down my phone AND headlamp. Both of which started working again after I departed the area. confused2

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: afoaf
Death Valley, December 2018

Roadway after the beehives (going up) was closed?

You come in from the north (past Skidoo) or up from Panamint Valley?

NIce pics....I am envious. Death Valley in winter is nearly as much fun as it is in summer.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:13 PM

Nice pics, afoaf!

crazy2 crazy2

I enjoy those search and rescue stories...thanks for the link. cheers .

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:16 PM

Keeping it nature related, the staircases in the forest one seems to be gaining a little traction. shrug

Hiking Bertha Peak in Big Bear solo around midnight/1 AM was creepy as hell. Very disconcerting that standing close to the support building shut down my phone AND headlamp. Both of which started working again after I departed the area. confused2

I could only imagine the things that would happen deep in the backcountry in certain parts of Nevada.

What Is this forest staircase thing? Is it like the Gobeki Tepe Magicians of the Gods thing?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:26 PM

1) The stock market is rigged for the 1%ers!

2) The IRS isn't in the Constitution...you don't have to pay income tax! (this may be seasonal and peaking around April 15, but it seems to come and go with varying degrees of intensity over the years).

3) The Lone Star Tick with its bite consequences is a DNA engineered plot by PETA.

4) The new solar minimum means we'll soon have two "moons" and enter a new ice age until the 3rd sun is turned on by our dome masters.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:31 PM

I could only imagine the things that would happen deep in the backcountry in certain parts of Nevada.

What Is this forest staircase thing? Is it like the Gobeki Tepe Magicians of the Gods thing?

Staircase stories are fun. I think a few of these were built for access into movable, elevated structures. When work is done, take away the mobile, elevated structure, leave the steps.

Structures rot pretty quick in the wild......but abandoned missile bases seem to just fill up with water.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:33 PM

Quote:
Roadway after the beehives (going up) was closed?

You come in from the north (past Skidoo) or up from Panamint Valley?

NIce pics....I am envious. Death Valley in winter is nearly as much fun as it is in summer.

not closed so much as people weren't really prepared for the snow

we came in from Skidoo side

it was deadsville in the campgrounds....surprise snow hike!

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:34 PM

1) The stock market is rigged for the 1%ers!

2) The IRS isn't in the Constitution...you don't have to pay income tax! (this may be seasonal and peaking around April 15, but it seems to come and go with varying degrees of intensity over the years).

3) The Lone Star Tick with its bite consequences is a DNA engineered plot by PETA.

4) The new solar minimum means we'll soon have two "moons" and enter a new ice age until the 3rd sun is turned on by our dome masters.

Yeah the proponents of #2 forget about this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:37 PM

Staircase stories are fun. I think a few of these were built for access into movable, elevated structures. When work is done, take away the mobile, elevated structure, leave the steps.

Structures rot pretty quick in the wild......but abandoned missile bases seem to just fill up with water.

My favorite is the Walker Lake conspiracies

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread300230/pg1

http://www.theeventchronicle.com/editors-pick/massive-submerged-entrance-found-california-coast/

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:48 PM

Nice pics, afoaf!

crazy2 crazy2

I enjoy those search and rescue stories...thanks for the link. cheers .

Absolutely! cheers

There's some good hiking scare-stories in the nosleep subreddit. drowning

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/04/19 10:58 PM

My favorite is the Walker Lake conspiracies

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread300230/pg1

http://www.theeventchronicle.com/editors-pick/massive-submerged-entrance-found-california-coast/

Oh Jesus. roflmao

Going back to the creepy wilderness stories, another good site is the Missing411 one which details the people gone missing in national parks and such. Lot of plausible explanations (mostly people doing dumb things) for them but it is funny to see the wingnuts coming out of the woodwork attaching it all to vast government conspiracies. rolleyes

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/05/19 12:39 AM

That sub base in Malibu connecting to a lake in Nevada sotry is great!

300 or so miles of underground tunnel from offshore Malibu (the oil platforms are a front!), under/through a granite batholith (basement rocks of the Sierra Nevada), past some crazy volcanism (Long Valley caldera) ..so this is why the soda tax was really put into place here in San Francisco. We need to pay for one the most wild engineering projects the world has ever seen!

And it would explain all those spiders at Walker Lake....obvious nuke sub radiation effects.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/05/19 04:11 AM

Death valley Germans was awesome, thanks erbB. I can't remember what thread that originated on.

I'll check out the other stories.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/05/19 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: the janitor

I am sure the raccoons and/or feral pigs at Pinnacles will appreciate the clean (liquid) water in a pot at your campsite.

Thankfully I learned not to do this by overhearing of other people's involuntary wild-life feeding/watering experiences.

Keep the water in your tent or camper. Or someone suggested to me to heat it up and put it in a hot water bottle. Two birds with one stone- warm up the sleeping bag on a freezing night and have liquid the next morning. I've never done it because I figure the water would taste bad, but waking up and not being able to drink anything for hours was drag.

Kento, what were you doing hiking at 1:00 am? I'd be thinking about how mountain lions are efficient nocturnal hunters.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/05/19 06:50 AM

Was camping with family and friends near the trailhead and I wanted to get the view of Big Bear Lake at night. Couldn't really convince anyone else. Way up there is called Cougar Crest Trail so cats and bears were a little on the mind. It was really well travelled during the day so I guessed/hoped it would keep most wildlife a little at bay. Kept a 360 view around me at all times and listened for anything that sounded suspicious like bugs going quiet all of a sudden. Was actually more worried about some crazy tweaker coming out of nowhere. roflmao Uneventful wildlife-wise except for seeing a large rabbit on way down upon which we both regarded each other and went separate ways.

View from top was cool. Would have been pretty serene if not for howling wind. roflmao

Speaking of cats, I won't go to Whiting Ranch with kids again. Red Rock Canyon is cool but saw a big cat track on way down that wasn't there on the way up. Been an attack there before too. That was pretty sketchy. Way too easy to picture one of them getting snatched by one. That would very much suck.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/05/19 04:18 PM

Was camping with family and friends near the trailhead and I wanted to get the view of Big Bear Lake at night. Couldn't really convince anyone else. Way up there is called Cougar Crest Trail so cats and bears were a little on the mind. It was really well travelled during the day so I guessed/hoped it would keep most wildlife a little at bay. Kept a 360 view around me at all times and listened for anything that sounded suspicious like bugs going quiet all of a sudden. Was actually more worried about some crazy tweaker coming out of nowhere. roflmao Uneventful wildlife-wise except for seeing a large rabbit on way down upon which we both regarded each other and went separate ways.

View from top was cool. Would have been pretty serene if not for howling wind. roflmao

Speaking of cats, I won't go to Whiting Ranch with kids again. Red Rock Canyon is cool but saw a big cat track on way down that wasn't there on the way up. Been an attack there before too. That was pretty sketchy. Way too easy to picture one of them getting snatched by one. That would very much suck.

Red Rock just past Mojave? I've always driven past there going up the 395 and always said to myself I want to camp and hike there some day but never get around to doing it.

As far as the NPs go, if they can't maintain and protect them during the shutdown IMHO they should just close them.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/05/19 05:15 PM

Red Rock just past Mojave? I've always driven past there going up the 395 and always said to myself I want to camp and hike there some day but never get around to doing it.

As far as the NPs go, if they can't maintain and protect them during the shutdown IMHO they should just close them.

Nah, it's the one near Lake Forest in OC.

Like you, I've driven past that Red Rock Canyon many times but never really explored. Looks like it would be a lot of fun although campground looks like it leaves a lot to be desired. This is the time of the year for going out to desert.

Agreed about the park closures without adequate staff. Would add the people littering/causing problems are the same donkeys blasting music on the trails. That was the nice thing about night hiking that peak - a lot more peaceful than during the day.

Waiting for a sale but I definitely want to get an InReach for when I'm doing solo hikes.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/06/19 02:04 AM

Just took the groms riding at whiting a couple of days ago. Was thinking about the cougars snatching one of them up. Gonna rethink taking them there again anytime soon. Lots of families hiking.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/06/19 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
Death valley Germans was awesome, thanks erbB. I can't remember what thread that originated on.

I'll check out the other stories.

I remember Death Valley Germans from the ADV motorcycle website.

There was a member, "Larryboy", from Sacto. Total DV exploration freak. He would solo down to DV a couple of times a year and explore on his lonesome. Some really good ride reports and photos.

This is a guy who has been struck by lightening, twice, while out riding solo. socrazy

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/06/19 02:35 AM

With the Govt shutdown it looks like the National parks are going to be or already are closed for the forseeable future. No maintenance/sanitation/security.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/06/19 02:50 AM

Our camping goal this late spring (end of May/early June) is the White Mountains.

East out of Bishop up Silver Canyon road. Bristlecone pine tree country. A lot of really good, off the grid
area to explore. You definitely need a good 4WD to do it though.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/06/19 04:35 PM

The problem is they are not closing the parks.

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-in-parks-closure-20190106-story.html

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/07/19 06:18 PM

Not an NP, but my family just spent 5 days up in Alabama Hills between Christmas and New Years. Freezing temps due to the winds first couple of days but it warmed up Sat/Sun once the winds died down. There is so much to do/see in that area!

Like a scene from Gunga Din.

Dear old dad is a big fan of those old British Empire movies and I got to watch it whenever it would play during those rainy winters in the Pacific NW as a kid.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/07/19 06:35 PM

Our camping goal this late spring (end of May/early June) is the White Mountains.

East out of Bishop up Silver Canyon road. Bristlecone pine tree country. A lot of really good, off the grid
area to explore. You definitely need a good 4WD to do it though.

I was coming down Silver Canyon in my old Subaru (had three creek crossing to get through, each around 2 ft deep), when tearing up/down were some 4x4 yahoos.

On my way down, I had the window open, so I hear 'em coming up and was able to find some room on a 180 degree hairpin turn (got showered by pebbles as they roared past).

Near the first water feature in the 'flats', I had pulled over so I could see if my car could get through (by wading in the creek in my underwear...have to know how deep it is in the middle), and I saw some big horn mt goats, then I hear the 4x4s again. They were coming down! The mt goats bolted, I stumbled quickly out of the creek/road, a few minutes later, they blast past with a horn blast and a wave.

I super much love the Bristlecone areas, and White Mt itself the easiest 14,000+ footer i ever walked to the top of, but man, that 14 miles hike (round trip) sure feels long when you are on the way back through the uphill part of marmot heaven.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/07/19 07:06 PM

I super much love the Bristlecone areas, and White Mt itself the easiest 14,000+ footer i ever walked to the top of, but man, that 14 miles hike (round trip) sure feels long when you are on the way back through the uphill part of marmot heaven.

https://theradavist.com/2016/10/cycling-up-white-mountain-peak-in-the-inyo-national-forest/#1

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/07/19 10:28 PM

Dear old dad is a big fan of those old British Empire movies and I got to watch it whenever it would play during those rainy winters in the Pacific NW as a kid.

Exactly, we visited the movie museum and checked out some of the set locations while we were there.
Posted By: SBSteve

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/08/19 02:59 PM

Exactly, we visited the movie museum and checked out some of the set locations while we were there.

Will be passing through there in a couple of weeks on the way up to MM.
Can you say ALABAMA HILLS CAFE? MMMMM... cookin

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/08/19 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: SBSteve

Will be passing through there in a couple of weeks on the way up to MM.
Can you say ALABAMA HILLS CAFE? MMMMM... cookin

Their baked goods are cheers
Posted By: MrDobalina

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/08/19 07:50 PM

I was able to go to Zion and Bryce over the New Year Weekend. Did the Narrows, Cruised, camped, short walks in Bryce. IT was beautiful. Cold, but beautiful

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/08/19 08:48 PM

How deep was the water in the Narrows?

Get to the junction at Orderville Gulch?

Any photos to share/brag about?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/08/19 09:15 PM

Do you ever work?? nana

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/08/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: PPK96754

Do you ever work?? nana

roflmao
Posted By: MrDobalina

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/08/19 11:23 PM

Water was pretty shallow for the most part. ankle to knee deep in most places, some waist to chest deep pockets. I'd imagine in the Spring thaw it gets much deeper.

Got to the junction, walked a bit further, but when we turned around to check Orderville, we were running low on daylight and didn't get to check up that way.

I have photos, but they are on my phone and I probably won't get around to posting them.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/09/19 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: PPK96754

Do you ever work?? nana

roflmao

I am waiting right now for the server to finish the model I just set up.
Posted By: Random Guy

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/09/19 01:08 AM

Ahhhh, so your work has to do with restaurants and people fashion industry?
Mystery Solved!
cowabunga
rg

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/09/19 11:22 AM

Headed back to my old stomping ground on the Big Island of Hawaii to visit friends and see the volcano at the Volcano's National Park. 10 days around the Island. Love the Big Island and it's mysteries.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/11/19 08:51 PM

WTF. They should find out who these people are and ban them for life from any National or State Park.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/visitors-chainsaw-iconic-joshua-trees-185205452.html

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/12/19 12:13 AM

WTF. They should find out who these people are and ban them for life from any National or State Park.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/visitors-chainsaw-iconic-joshua-trees-185205452.html

That shit pisses me off.

Why can't people comprehend the concept of Leave No Trace? These are the same type of meatheads that trash the beaches on 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. I hate the excuse of "well, the trash cans were full". So pack out your trash!

I'd add to your penalty that the off-road vehicles in question should be confiscated and recycled as scrap metal.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 01/12/19 03:11 AM

death by ants

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 03/23/19 02:11 PM

Not a National Park, National Forest instead...

We were camping at the beginning of June up in the Plumas National forest, Lakes Basin area.

This is the fire lookout on the Sierra Buttes, which overlooks Lakes Basin.

We did a hike up to the top. Amazing view .

The chutes off of the Sierra Buttes are big for back country extreme skiiers when we have a good winter.

Hey Leaverite. It's been a good winter. I bet those chutes were all time. ow do they get up there? Helicopters for the 1%?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/18/19 05:17 PM

We just did a short, 3 1/2 day trip out to the Grand Canyon. Lots of hiking, sight-seeing and offroading and while it was a short trip, we packed in a lot of activities. What a beautiful place to visit, there is so much to see and do. I can't wait to go back for a backpacing trek down in the valley.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/18/19 05:19 PM

A few more pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/18/19 05:39 PM

Awesome pics!

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/18/19 05:41 PM

Thanks! cheers

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/18/19 07:02 PM

Beautiful!

Went to DV NP again week before last.

Kids at the bottom of the crater:
[Linked Image]

Skating Artist's Drive:
[Linked Image]

Rad slot canyon:
[Linked Image]

- 300' to over 11,000' right there, like boom!
[Linked Image]

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/18/19 07:07 PM

Nice pics! Love the skating pic! Did you guys drive out to the racetrack?

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/18/19 08:46 PM

Not this time.

Yeah, they skated a couple miles down that buttery smooth road. I was super jealous.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks - 04/19/19 03:31 PM

^ - an amateur racer friend of mine says that road is smoother than any race track he's been on.
© 2019 SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting