The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Landloct

Kelly Slater status
Jul 18, 2002
Could be in my head, but I swear it restores the neoprene elasticity / softness . I usually only remember to do it when a suit is feeling a bit stiff.
That's likely a combination of the water you're using to shampoo the suit, plus the actual shampoo.
Even soaking a suit in a tub of water for a few hours after it's sat unused for a season will restore some of its elasticity.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Just make sure you don't shampoo with a degreaser......like Dawn dish soap or something equivalent.

That can potentially eat seam glue and neoprene (so I've meet told).

Reactions: sdsrfr

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
My wife just ordered a 7til8 custom suit for an Oregon trip and it was super easy to do, as they walk you through the whole measurement process. Then if it doesn’t fit they take it back for alterations. I am surprised that they only cost 700 dollars for the amount of work it must be to spend an hour on FaceTime with every customer; then take it back to alter if it doesn’t fit.

Aug 9, 2015
Colby+ yamamoto update. Few surfs in. Very lightweight, very flexible. No leaks. Zero flushing. Easy to get on and off. Nice suit. Only downside is just a touch tight in the crouch. There's a review on their site saying the same thing and that will be updated for next year. But if you are towards the taller side of a size range I would recommend going for the next length up.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Colby+ yamamoto update. Few surfs in. Very lightweight, very flexible. No leaks. Zero flushing. Easy to get on and off. Nice suit. Only downside is just a touch tight in the crouch. There's a review on their site saying the same thing and that will be updated for next year. But if you are towards the taller side of a size range I would recommend going for the next length up.
Like small D energy small in the crotch or My balls hang low nuts to shoulders small in the crotch?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Anyone using the needessesntials suits? I needed a new hooded 4/3 and I found a volcom one for dirt cheap on sale. Looks identical to the needessentials suits, I'd imagine they are made in the same factory.

I need a new 3/2 also. Was wondering about the sizing though. I'm 5'10 and vary between 175-190lbs. I'm at the heavier end right now and am in an XLS in the volcom. It isn't the best fitting suit I've had but for the price it's fine. Kind of big in the lower leg and waist. According to the needessentials size chart I'd be in a LS. For reference I wear large in rip curl, body glove and isarus (kinda tight).

Aug 9, 2015
Like small D energy small in the crotch or My balls hang low nuts to shoulders small in the crotch?
I'm not sure what that means, but it isn't terrible. I've had worse before on a bargain big brand lowest tier suit I got for one trip. I'm not uncomfortable, but I would definitely prefer a tad more room. Like I said, If you are height wise towards the top of the size range for a specific size I would get the next length up. If I ever buy another one (depends on if seams last a decent amount of time on this one) I will be asking about this specific situation.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
What's the latest verdict on Need wetsuits? Looking for a jacket for summer, and was pretty underwhelmed on my last Needs purchase 10 or so years ago.

Have they improved? Looking for a no-frills, minimum branding, stretchy...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta