Breaking down various EPS/alt constructions

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Really? Varial carbon is havier than one of their normally glassed shortboard? Would have thought they use less glass.
my 5-11 5-fin 646 Puddle Jumper HP weighs 6.6lbs and my 5-10 Carbon Twinsman weighs 6.8lbs.

both have wax and traction so there could be some variation there in how much wax is on each or whatever.

Reactions: kool-aid

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
my 5-11 5-fin 646 Puddle Jumper HP weighs 6.6lbs and my 5-10 Carbon Twinsman weighs 6.8lbs.

both have wax and traction so there could be some variation there in how much wax is on each or whatever.
That's odd because the Puddle Jumper is far stubbier and carbon is both lighter and stronger (which should require less material) than fiberglass.

Reactions: chilly1 and Aruka

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My Varial carbon is by far the lightest out of my four Varials. I have two polys and an epoxy as well. The carbon one doesn’t do the heat gun trick, or at least is wasn’t budging and I was concerned I was going to f^ck something up. The epoxy and polys are 4/4/4.

Oct 5, 2021
Thinking about getting a custom board made up for my new DD to replace an aging Tomo SKX (tossing up between custom SKX and Chilli churro 2). Lots of love on here for Stretch CFT which from what I can tell is a stringered eps construction with a heavier glass job. Never ridden a trad stringered EPS board before, do these still flex like a pu or fair bit stiffer? I’m after a strong, light build ideally that feels like a 4/4-4 pu which is obviously my other option but I usually only get a year or two out of trad pu whereas my LFT is over 5 years old now.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Worth taking a look at XTR also if you haven't tried it. I like there 4+4/4 with wood stringer. More durable and lighter than pu. I prefer their construction over the stringered eps i've had from Xanadu and Aipa in the past. I think it works well for dd type boards or grovelers

Reactions: Fishyhb and jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Thinking about getting a custom board made up for my new DD to replace an aging Tomo SKX (tossing up between custom SKX and Chilli churro 2). Lots of love on here for Stretch CFT which from what I can tell is a stringered eps construction with a heavier glass job. Never ridden a trad stringered EPS board before, do these still flex like a pu or fair bit stiffer? I’m after a strong, light build ideally that feels like a 4/4-4 pu which is obviously my other option but I usually only get a year or two out of trad pu whereas my LFT is over 5 years old now.
No experience with Stretch's construction so I can't comment on that specifically. I know someone who will most definitely chime in now that the Stretch bat signal has been lit :monkey:

As @trifish stated, XTR is an excellent choice. I like their 10.C stringered construction for it feeling closest to a 4+4/4 PU.

If it's standard EPS/Epoxy, I think the best option is to specify you want a 2lb stringered EPS blank with a 4+4/4 glass schedule. That will get you the closest feel to a traditional build and be more durable. The downside is they can suck water when you get a dink unless your shaper uses an EPS that is very tightly fused.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Question about stringered XTRs. Ive had one for about a year (10.0 Moonstone) but haven’t ridden it enough to answer my own question. It does have foot wells similar to my other PU boars.

The question is, how much longer will these stringered XTRs retain their pop as compared to a PU? I’ve always been under the impression that one of the main reasons a PU boar loses its pop is because the wood stringer breaks down over time. How would this be any different in an XTR build that still has a stringer?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Question about stringered XTRs. Ive had one for about a year (10.0 Moonstone) but haven’t ridden it enough to answer my own question. It does have foot wells similar to my other PU boars.

The question is, how much longer will these stringered XTRs retain their pop as compared to a PU? I’ve always been under the impression that one of the main reasons a PU boar loses its pop is because the wood stringer breaks down over time. How would this be any different in an XTR build that still has a stringer?
I've never had an XTR go dead on me. I've had some 5 years before replacing them......not due to loosing pop but mainly upgrading dimensions.

I think it's primarily the PE resin that looses its pop.

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I've never had an XTR go dead on me. I've had some 5 years before replacing them......not due to loosing pop but mainly upgrading dimensions.

I think it's primarily the PE resin that looses it's pop.
Same experience. The one I held onto the longest might of been a 6 year old xtr gremlin. I sold it to a friend and rode it again maybe a year ago when he was in town with it. Still felt like the same board, just yellow as fkkkk haha.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
do epoly lose their pop?

I always assumed pop was in the blank.
Could definitely be part of it as well.

I was listening to recent podcast from a shaper (maybe Jeff Hakman?) and he seemed to think PU/PE boards loose their pop because of the resin. Maybe it was Cheyne Horan?

Oct 5, 2021
Worth taking a look at XTR also if you haven't tried it. I like there 4+4/4 with wood stringer. More durable and lighter than pu. I prefer their construction over the stringered eps i've had from Xanadu and Aipa in the past. I think it works well for dd type boards or grovelers
Would love to try an XTR but based in Oz could get 2-3 pu for the cost of getting one of them made and shipped over the way our exchange rate is at the moment. Want to work with a local shaper too. Does seem like a great construction though given they don’t suck water like an eps

Reactions: jkb and trifish

terdroamer

OTF status
Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
CFT medium sounds perfect for you but you could depending on model go DFT also:shaka:

Reactions: Fishyhb and jkb