***Official Work Out, Training and Exercise Thread***

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I do plenty of other things at the gym but I've found the leg raises to be particularly helpful.
The SkiErg machine I had to look up. Neither of the gyms I go to has one of those. That looks like a good machine.
i do the leg raises to in combo with dips.good sh!t.burpees are so valuable tho. i mean, its an actual pop-up.

im lucky - the gym in my apartment building has a row machine - that you can lift vertically to become the ski machine.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Right now I'm doing a 26.5 mile run and a 13 mile run. On the 13 mile run, after 6.5 miles easy pace (zone 2) I do 4x4 intervals- 4 minutes as hard as I can, followed by one minute walking, two minutes slow jog. 4 times. I decided to do them halfway into the run because I’d read to do speed work in the back half of a long run.

At first the limiting factor were my knees, or rather my right knee. I could tell I was straining it. It would hurt during and after the run. So I learned to run as hard as I could, but back off a little if I felt my knee hurting. I also focused a lot of attention on stretching the calves and hamstrings. Then the limiting factor became my breathing. I’d simply run out of breath, gasping for air. Most recently the last couple of intervals my limiting factor has just been running out of energy in the legs. They’ll just be be out of gas, getting rubbery the last minute of the interval.

Intervals are hard. Pushing your limit. I think everyone should do something that forces you to touch your max heart rate once a week. When I do the intervals I hold my phone in my hand because I have an app that will tell me my current pace. At the start of the interval it will be about 5:30-5:45 (mile). Then mid interval I tend to fade and it will go over 6:00. On the last interval I will fade to 7:00. Then I always sprint the last 30 seconds of each interval and get it back into the 5’s. I will also go past 4 minutes to make sure I hit max heart rate, or at least 95%. If my numbers sound slow remember I’m 62.

#Kento - you should try them. You can tell you’re tapping into different energy systems. Working muscles in a different way. I don’t get sore after running 26 miles but will get sore (calves) after doing intervals.

Other than that I do one set of push-ups every morning at the end of a 20 minute stretching routine. One set to failure which is now 40-45.

Oh, and one day a week 1-1/2 hour barbell routine. I hate doing the barbell, but it’s medicine.

Finally there’s surfing. I don’t consider it a work out, training or exercise. How lucky are we that we have found something we love to do that keeps us in shape? No one has to motivate me to surf. When it’s good I’m running across the sand to get to the waves.

:waving:

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Right now I'm doing a 26.5 mile run and a 13 mile run. On the 13 mile run, after 6.5 miles easy pace (zone 2) I do 4x4 intervals- 4 minutes as hard as I can, followed by one minute walking, two minutes slow jog. 4 times. I decided to do them halfway into the run because I’d read to do speed work in the back half of a long run.

At first the limiting factor were my knees, or rather my right knee. I could tell I was straining it. It would hurt during and after the run. So I learned to run as hard as I could, but back off a little if I felt my knee hurting. I also focused a lot of attention on stretching the calves and hamstrings. Then the limiting factor became my breathing. I’d simply run out of breath, gasping for air. Most recently the last couple of intervals my limiting factor has just been running out of energy in the legs. They’ll just be be out of gas, getting rubbery the last minute of the interval.

Intervals are hard. Pushing your limit. I think everyone should do something that forces you to touch your max heart rate once a week. When I do the intervals I hold my phone in my hand because I have an app that will tell me my current pace. At the start of the interval it will be about 5:30-5:45 (mile). Then mid interval I tend to fade and it will go over 6:00. On the last interval I will fade to 7:00. Then I always sprint the last 30 seconds of each interval and get it back into the 5’s. I will also go past 4 minutes to make sure I hit max heart rate, or at least 95%. If my numbers sound slow remember I’m 62.

#Kento - you should try them. You can tell you’re tapping into different energy systems. Working muscles in a different way. I don’t get sore after running 26 miles but will get sore (calves) after doing intervals.

Other than that I do one set of push-ups every morning at the end of a 20 minute stretching routine. One set to failure which is now 40-45.

Oh, and one day a week 1-1/2 hour barbell routine. I hate doing the barbell, but it’s medicine.

Finally there’s surfing. I don’t consider it a work out, training or exercise. How lucky are we that we have found something we love to do that keeps us in shape? No one has to motivate me to surf. When it’s good I’m running across the sand to get to the waves.

:waving:
Cholo squats have saved my knees holmes.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I started walking on the treadmill (farmer's carry) while holding a decent kettlebell, switching sides every 2 minutes. 20 minutes of that is pretty good workout.
My interest in farmer‘s walks/loaded carries started with watching Worlds Strongest Man as a youth. It was the event that consistently had the widest division in the field/broke the most competitors/had the most DNFs. Wasnt surprised much later in life that Dan John swears by them.

On a machine or actually rowing crew? Rowing was great stuff once upon a time but very hard on my lower back... pushed me into my first fusion and I had to give it up. It's a shame - rowing is fun cardio, not a lot of that around.
Battle ropes bro, I think they’re fun af. Endless variety keeps you from getting bored? Low to no impact on the joints and a surprisingly fast trip to anaerobic/puke city if you push it.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Based off of personal preferences(laziness, get bored real easy), pervious successes and necessity(finally found a battery for the scale and I def need to put some weight back on after being sick this winter) I’ve formulated a plan and it’s going to suck. Hard.

Big believer in Coaches Reeves and Even-Esh and the real world applications of farm strength to athleticism and now, aging smh. So it’s gonna revolve around work capacity using Loaded Carries(farmer’s walk bars, kettlebells, and sandbags all while wearing that awful weight vest to compensate for grip giving out before legs), Dbl Kettlebell Armor Building Complexes, and Sandbag Shouldering/Ground To Overhead. I like simple programming so I’ll be using Staley’s “Escalating Density Training” ie how much can I do in 20 minutes and can I match or beat that next session or even just try make the whole 20.

I should specific goals in mind so I guess mine are getting back to the place where I can really throw around a 50lb plus (75?) sandbag for 20 min no worries along with being able to carry 60lbs in each hand on the farmer’s bars for 1.5 min.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
@One-Off some of the method behind the madness

“Farmers walks and sandbag carries are an excellent way to produce upper back and trap hypertrophy as they create high levels muscular tension and allow an athlete to maintain that tension for a prolonged period of time. These types of movements work the entire body and have been shown to stimulate an excellent hormonal response for muscular growth. Strongman training incorporating various types of carrying exercises has been shown to increase salivary testosterone similarly to that of a traditional high volume hypertrophy training program.“

not that I carried anything td. Ended up doing 15 rds of sets of dbl kb cleans on the minute goal was 20 smh. Goal was also sets of 5 the whole time but after 5 min it dropped to 4 and after 10, sets of 3. Feeling it now bro.

Last edited:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Sounds like really hard work. I gotta trick myself using the perceived threat/likelihood of drowning or floating out to sea to get the slightest result.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Sounds like really hard work. I gotta trick myself using the perceived threat/likelihood of drowning or floating out to sea to get the slightest result.
Its wicked hard bro, especially the loaded carries and worse yet when wearing the awful vest(13 lbs) the way you should, tight enough to restrict your breathing and induce an overall sense of general discomfort.

When “Im doing it right” , first 5 min not so bad, next 5 this is getting hard, after that this sucks and all I want to do is fucking quit/drop whatever I’m carrying. During loaded carries you fight the urge to quit a lot. Like constantly. One thing that helps keep me going is the fact that I’m going to have to pick up whatever I’m carrying if I put it down smh.

I like intense 20 minute workouts bc I ain’t got time to lift weights all fucking day/get bored easy, along with believing strongly in the real world applications of them. A grappling match/fight, fucking your much younger girlfriend, paddling out on a not small day. I also believe in the importance of daily training whenever possible again bc real life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

“My goal in terms of programming is to do the most with the least effort and time
-categories I think are necessary for building well-rounded athleticism are:
Power, Grip Strength, Vision/Coordination/Balance, Core Strength, Conditioning, Mobility”

My laziness is what drew me to Max and his love of efficiency. I’d like to think my 20 min workouts along with accessory work are satisfying his basic requirements for now but at some point I kinda owe it to myself to do UA and take it seriously. I see a lot of one legged dead-lifts in my future lol.

His haters can say what they want but the dude figured out the key to unlocking athletic potential

1715096454274.jpeg

1715096499168.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
New 75lb capacity sandbag from BruteForce arrives td. Got a new slackline coming too. Anyone who surfs who has access to somewhere they can set one up like a nearby park let alone somewhere they could use it daily like a backyard is crazy not too. Balance training is sooo important especially as you get older. Plus slacking very addictive dank fun. That or get an indo etc board.

Sandbag shouldering = not fun lol
75lbs x 30 reps for time

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Sand is evil if you’ve never lifted it bro. Imo the relative hierarchy of easy to hardest to lift relatively speaking = barbell < dumbbells < kettlebells < sand Especially if you’re filling your bag correctly. Which is 2/3 full max and not stuffed like a sausage. It should be shifting around as you work with it making you fight it.

OG sandbag guy Josh Henkin had a booth at the Arnold bitd with his sandbags lying around and I forget how heavy it was (not ridiculously so) but a lot of really gym strong dudes (big squat and dl #s) stopped by and could not lift one of the big bags.

Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

That's not bad at all.

Did 4 miles of intervals this morning bracketed by a mile warmup and mile cooldown. Kept the pace around 6:10 for two minutes, then 3 minute cool-down jog. 7 total of those damn things, last 30 seconds of each were tough with slight fade and counted down last seconds of each to be sure. 50 minutes all told so another way to get 6 miles at that 8:20ish pace. Put me at 600 miles on the year.

Muscles not too sore, though, which is good. Gonna be hot tomorrow and intend on getting a medium-length run in.

Reactions: One-Off

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That's not bad at all.

Did 4 miles of intervals this morning bracketed by a mile warmup and mile cooldown. Kept the pace around 6:10 for two minutes, then 3 minute cool-down jog. 7 total of those damn things, last 30 seconds of each were tough with slight fade and counted down last seconds of each to be sure. 50 minutes all told so another way to get 6 miles at that 8:20ish pace. Put me at 600 miles on the year.

Muscles not too sore, though, which is good. Gonna be hot tomorrow and intend on getting a medium-length run in.
A lot of what I do is HIRT ? All I know is my legs hurt from fucking around with dbl kbs yd. Imo kbs are fun to use. I concentrate on perfect form and really like to clean and press dbls.

Just glad I didn’t hurt my back seeing if I could oh squat them atg. I could, barely. Gonna go fuck with the battle ropes now bc I’m high

VM would argue to the death otherwise but Marker and the SFGs know what’s up.

1715211859919.jpeg

Reactions: Kento

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
And to finish up since no one cares about the details of my upcoming workouts and to bring Max Shank up again lol, when I asked him about CrossFit! at the basic cert I did with him he answered the why kettlebells and by extension sandbags question as well. High skill movements (barbell Olympic lifts, muscle ups, etc) should not be done for conditioning. KBs and sandbags allow you to do it relatively safely along with training more stabilizers/using a lot less weight and I’m a big fan of finding the hardest ways to lift the least weight to get stronger bc athletic longevity

Reactions: Kento and sizzld1

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That's not bad at all.

Do you think you hit your max heart rate at the end of the interval?

Here's a bit of info- I've done two of my "marathon" runs on sore (from the barbell) legs. The first time I was trying to replicate a strong run from the week before where I charged up the mountain and on that run I bonked, had to run/walk at the end. This week I was sore (always happens when I let more than a week pass between barbell workouts) and my daughter had a good suggestion- just stay in zone 2. I did that and it meant walking up the mountain, but I finished running. It's an energy conservation thing and something to think about when you do the ultras.

Oh, and my zone 2 pace will differ from day to day. The day I did the fast run I timed it down on the beach at the beginning of the run and it was 8:15 fading to 8:30 after 6 miles. This week, on the sore legs it was 10:00. :eek:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Do you think you hit your max heart rate at the end of the interval?

Here's a bit of info- I've done two of my "marathon" runs on sore (from the barbell) legs. The first time I was trying to replicate a strong run from the week before where I charged up the mountain and on that run I bonked, had to run/walk at the end. This week I was sore (always happens when I let more than a week pass between barbell workouts) and my daughter had a good suggestion- just stay in zone 2. I did that and it meant walking up the mountain, but I finished running. It's an energy conservation thing and something to think about when you do the ultras.

Oh, and my zone 2 pace will differ from day to day. The day I did the fast run I timed it down on the beach at the beginning of the run and it was 8:15 fading to 8:30 after 6 miles. This week, on the sore legs it was 10:00. :eek:
Fitbit is screwing up and not properly recording/syncing. But it did show my max heart rate as 179 yesterday, which is a bit above what it is "supposed" to be. Today will absolutely be a cruise run. It's hard to be disciplined at times because I know the distance at a lot of waypoints on my 8.1 mile route and I get antsy, thinking WTF I better get to the 3.55 mile mark in under 30 minutes! Start edging into that Zone 3.

Exactly my strategy in this race. There are two 9 mile loops, one 7 mile loop, and one 5.5 mile loop, going from hardest to easiest. Conserve energy in Zone 2 as long as possible, powerhike the hills, cruise the downhills, and smoke the final downhill. I've been up in the area a bit but never from a running perspective. A little over an hour from where I live so I can get up there to check it out, run a little bit through there, also good way to get an idea how much water I need to bring.

The recovery runs following 20 milers are brutal. Definitely getting towards 9:30 but it's not necessarily because of the cardio - the legs are pissed off! And after doing enough of them by now, I have absolutely learned the folly of doing training runs in excess of 20 miles.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Fitbit is screwing up and not properly recording/syncing. But it did show my max heart rate as 179 yesterday, which is a bit above what it is "supposed" to be. Today will absolutely be a cruise run. It's hard to be disciplined at times because I know the distance at a lot of waypoints on my 8.1 mile route and I get antsy, thinking WTF I better get to the 3.55 mile mark in under 30 minutes! Start edging into that Zone 3.

Exactly my strategy in this race. There are two 9 mile loops, one 7 mile loop, and one 5.5 mile loop, going from hardest to easiest. Conserve energy in Zone 2 as long as possible, powerhike the hills, cruise the downhills, and smoke the final downhill. I've been up in the area a bit but never from a running perspective. A little over an hour from where I live so I can get up there to check it out, run a little bit through there, also good way to get an idea how much water I need to bring.

The recovery runs following 20 milers are brutal. Definitely getting towards 9:30 but it's not necessarily because of the cardio - the legs are pissed off! And after doing enough of them by now, I have absolutely learned the folly of doing training runs in excess of 20 miles.
Might want to try going a little longer on the interval. He explains why and how to adjust the length of the interval here-

This guy explains the reason for four minutes in more detail.

And the 4x4 is in the context of the 80/20 protocol (80% zone 2, 20% higher intensity).

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I would have to build up to that. 4 minutes out the gate at high intensity... not there yet. Could feel myself at 90 seconds yesterday wanting it to be over.

Hot day today (mid-80s) and ran 8 miles and change in 71 minutes. Started out around 8:20 pace but legs were getting really tired with the heat, previous intervals, etc., around mile 5 I was having to take brief walk breaks every 3/4 mile or so. Zone 2 pace was there, had average bpm of 142, and still finished up around 8:45 pace, even the walk breaks only dropped me down to around 9:15ish at that time.

Damn glad I brought 3 bottles of gatorade water. Dry wind to go with it but it was refreshing. Kind of. Was still hot and that route doesn't have much shade. Got myself to 21 miles the last 3 days with goal of another 23-25 more over the weekend to get me to around 45. Planning on doing the marathon about 6 weeks after the 50K, which is itself in 9 weeks or so. Will see how things go but may only taper for a week or two max before the 50K and get back into it. One week at a time.