REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2820012 - 07/11/18 04:13 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: Havoc4k]
Racer1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
Originally Posted By: Racer1
I was interested in the Algae too, but they only use 25% less petroleum than regular PU boards and the algae used is an engineered form of algae only grown in laboratories.

attack of the algae monsters!

While there is the threat of monsters, I was more thinking that if the Algae blanks take off we'd have to create a giant warehouse of lab grown algae which seems counterintuitive towards sustainability. Now if they could use invasive species fished out of estuaries that would be different. And if it was more than 25% of the blank.

#2820014 - 07/11/18 04:14 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: Zander]
Racer1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Zander
Certified 100% Biodegradable Certified 99% Biobased Ultra-lightweight Virtually Waterproof Highly UV Resistant (won't yellow) Accepts epoxy or poly resin Hand-shapes or Machine-shapes Certified Industrially Compostable Certified Carbon Neutral GMO-free Manufactured with 100% Wind Power

https://www.biomblanks.com/

This has to ride shitty, right?

pretty interesting stuff...i still think all the bio stuff is overhyped. The most green board is the one you dont have to throw away, compost, recycle etc...getting your board glassed heavier, using denser blanks, diagonal glassing and making a board to last is much more environmentally friendly. Making less boards and replacing boards less often is the best way

Agree 100% (all my boards are either stretch CFT construction or XTR), but what if you could combine those building techniques with these materials? Closing the loop.

#2820017 - 07/11/18 04:22 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: Racer1]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
I was interested in the Algae too, but they only use 25% less petroleum than regular PU boards and the algae used is an engineered form of algae only grown in laboratories.

attack of the algae monsters!

While there is the threat of monsters, I was more thinking that if the Algae blanks take off we'd have to create a giant warehouse of lab grown algae which seems counterintuitive towards sustainability. Now if they could use invasive species fished out of estuaries that would be different. And if it was more than 25% of the blank.

I wonder if they could use that algae that is supposed to clean wastewater whilst providing biodiesel for our cars.

https://www.wired.com/2011/02/using-algae-to-clean-wastewater-make-fuel/

#2820047 - 07/11/18 05:49 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: jkb]
HobbitFeet Offline
Grom

It's a great idea, but not practical or scalable. There isn't enough consistency to the transient natural world algae, thus it can only be grown in a laboratory. The lab genetically engineer one or more morbidly obese algae strains for extraction of the replicable building blocks required for making the polyol (the 25% fraction in discussion).

Peace!

Edited by HobbitFeet (07/11/18 05:51 PM)
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

#2820075 - 07/11/18 06:38 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: HobbitFeet]
manbearpig Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: in the bathroom
Algae production is not at all lab based only. Algae farming is actually a sizable industry.

#2820136 - 07/11/18 08:50 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: Racer1]
Havoc4k Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: in da hood next to paradise
how bout lichens?

I think Tomo is with firewire for more than just money. He helped them developed the LFT tech. I think he sincerely believes in the tech -deforest

#2820172 - 07/11/18 09:36 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: Havoc4k]
manbearpig Offline

how bout lichens?

I think you can propagate lichen, but not 100% sure.

#2820212 - 07/11/18 11:37 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: manbearpig]
sushipop Offline
Nep status

Loc: The Dagobah System
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
how bout lichens?

Sounds like something Moss Research should work on...

Wait for it....

#2820242 - 07/12/18 02:21 AM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: sushipop]
Havoc4k Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: in da hood next to paradise
Originally Posted By: sushipop
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
how bout lichens?

Sounds like something Moss Research should work on...

Wait for it....

roflmao

I think Tomo is with firewire for more than just money. He helped them developed the LFT tech. I think he sincerely believes in the tech -deforest

#2820490 - 07/12/18 04:09 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: Racer1]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Nothing better than a good lichen joke.

roflmao

#2820582 - 07/12/18 07:15 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: 000]
deforest Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: 000
no way they are as awesome as they make it sound

i mean if the blank self disposes like this, u really think its gonna last?
I was thinking the same thing! Especially since its basically just sugar puff balls! lol. But its possible I'm not understanding the science behind it correctly?

#2820597 - 07/12/18 08:04 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: deforest]
HobbitFeet Offline
Grom

My understanding is that it breaks down in controlled environments only. Their use of the word "compostable" in that photo is not very clear in its use. Think industrial warehouse with massive piles of really hot compost (poop!)--much hotter than in your backyard leaf pile. Consistently high heat (~158F) + super-mega-colonies of microbes = "industrial composting" = bye-bye foam.

Edited by HobbitFeet (07/12/18 08:05 PM)
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

#2820628 - 07/12/18 09:14 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: HobbitFeet]
Racer1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: HobbitFeet
Consistently high heat (~158F)

Greeeeat. How much energy does that take running 24 hours in a giant warehouse?

#2820908 - 07/13/18 01:20 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: Racer1]
HobbitFeet Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: HobbitFeet
Consistently high heat (~158F)

Greeeeat. How much energy does that take running 24 hours in a giant warehouse?

I'm no expert, but I think the aforementioned heat is only created and maintained by the microbial breakdown of the organic material. Factors that would control this are the size of the pile, its moisture content, aeration, C/N ratio, and ambient temperature.

Edited by HobbitFeet (07/13/18 01:21 PM)

#2820972 - 07/13/18 02:52 PM Re: Biom Blanks [Re: HobbitFeet]
manbearpig Offline

^^^very good point.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >