REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2806908 - 06/11/18 11:34 PM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: Doug93003]
Leaverite Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Central Cal
One thing we need to prepare for in California is with the new, increasing diesel emission standards the vast majority of the semis now in use in this state to haul our foodstuffs and goods will be phased out of service in the near future.

This is going to be a huge expense to the existing trucking industry. And like everything else, this expense will end up being passed along to the end consumer.

#2806989 - 06/12/18 09:34 AM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: kane]
GromsDad Online   content
Tom Curren status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
Back in the early 90s we had a 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel with a manual transmission. Highway driving on long trips we were getting just over 50mpg and about 40 around town. Back then diesel cost about 10 cents less than gasoline at the pump......as it should. We were paying about 94-99 cents a gallon for diesel. That was some inexpensive transportation. These days you pay considerably more at the pump for diesel so any gains in fuel economy are eaten up by the higher cost for the fuel. The down side was very few gas stations in our area had diesel at the time. What finally did us in with this car was we had a brutal cold winter one year and it was near impossible to get this car to start when the temps were below 10* and we needed reliable transportation for work.

#2807618 - 06/13/18 01:24 PM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: kane]
crustBro Offline
Miki Dora status

wish we lived in a world that was laid back enough to be happy with 0 to 60 in a couple of minutes... then i'd drive a toyota hilux 4x4 with a 1.4 liter diesel... it would last forever, probably get close to 40 mpg, and go anywhere!

slowly

:-)

Edited by crustBro (06/13/18 01:51 PM)

#2807625 - 06/13/18 01:50 PM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: crustBro]
Norm' Offline
Duke status

Loc: Lovetron
BMW 335d looks like fun.
"The Wright brothers decide to make themselves a flying machine. You fools! You idiots! Whats your problem? everyone shouted, That will never work because plywood weighs more than air! To which the Wright brothers responded, No, it doesnt. The Wright brothers were dreamers."

#2807759 - 06/13/18 05:40 PM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: kane]
john4surf Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: CBS, CA
BMW i8, properly launched 0-60 mph sub 4 seconds. Factory estimated fuel consumption 76 mpg. Not diesel, but a kick in the pants!

#2807771 - 06/13/18 06:07 PM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: HydroSprout]
FecalFace Online   happy
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
Originally Posted By: HydroSprout
One of the best cars I ever had was a Citroen Xantia turbo diesel.
Once you get used to the grunt and the torque of the diesel engine there's nothing better.
Low and cheap maintenance, no tune up/timing issues, low mpg and loooong life.
I also had a diesel VW Transporter (Eurovan) which was a killer surf wagon.

Yes, I agree.

#2807775 - 06/13/18 06:24 PM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: FecalFace]
_____ Offline
Miki Dora status

laughingpointing hat

#2807783 - 06/13/18 06:39 PM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: FecalFace]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

high today of 81` with a 75% chance of false outrage.

#2807793 - 06/13/18 07:43 PM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: john4surf]
GromsDad Online   content
Tom Curren status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
Originally Posted By: john4surf
BMW i8, properly launched 0-60 mph sub 4 seconds. Factory estimated fuel consumption 76 mpg. Not diesel, but a kick in the pants!

My next door neighbor has an i8. I'd much rather have his wife's 911 Carrarra S. If you have that kind of money for toys who cares about the fuel cost?

#2807826 - 06/14/18 12:10 AM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: oneula]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Originally Posted By: oneula
thanks god they haven't outlawed diesel in Hawaii
I guess with an active volcano polluting our air with toxins and ash diesel is the least of our worries.
Too bad it's so expensive
but engines last longer and not as dangerous as getting gas on your skin when you spill and I can get 500+ miles on a full tank on my Jetta Sportswagon.

When I took it in to inquire about the "fix" the dealer told me most owners were refusing it as it wasn't mandatory here and the effect on performance was noticeable on the turbo diesels so I didn't. I'd like to get 200K on this investment if the body doesn't rust/sun out like all cars do here.If they do a diesel versus of their new camper van they are selling in Europe and that comes here I'd been very interested if the price is right.

The pure electricals are great, but if the electric company here still has to import more oil and burn it so you can charge the device, I don't see the purpose. Charging via solar and stored solar is an answer but then you have the problems of getting rid of the batteries. For now Hybrids seem to make more sense.

I loved my golf tdi. Sold it too early. If I had it for two more years, I would've made $5k more due to dieselgate.

Now I have the egolf. More fun to drive than the tdi. Sucks when it doesn't change and I have to stop on the way to work or back home to charge somewhere. CA uses natural gas, so charging isn't as dirty as an ICE.

Ate lunch w my mom and her husband two days ago. He complained that CA ouawed benz's bluetec diesel due to some maintenance issue. I said that Benz was probably cheating anyway. The story broke that same day.

#2808351 - 06/15/18 03:48 AM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: kane]
Peter1 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Diesel will be dead for all but commercial vehicle and heavy trucks in the near future.

VW emissions defeat device scandal fallout is killing diesel for passenger cars here in Europe. (and there are no other markets for diesel -- China is gas and EV, Africa and middle East is gas, SA is gas, North America is gas)

Even though the latest generation of euro6 (the current emissions standard) is way cleaner than gasoline engines (albeit with scrubbing technology that requires you to dump in some AdBlue into a seperate tank every 5k miles or so) in terms of CO2, the general public has lost trust in what the automakers say about diesel. NOX particulates (diesel's bugbear) are way down with this technology

On top of that, cities like Paris are banning older diesels. So the residual values are plummeting. Consumers are voting with their wallets -- overall diesel penetration rate in Europe is down something like 10 percentage points alone in the past year.

Volvo, Toyota and a few others will stop selling diesels in Europe by next year, and the mass market makes like Renault are switching to 3-cylinder turbo gas engines and hybrids to meet the emissions standards.

But, yeah, you can easily get 65-75 mpg with small 1.5 liter diesel engines on the highway. However, the fact that diesels won't ever penetrate the US market and are dead in Europe is a completely self-inflicted wound by the automakers.

#2808352 - 06/15/18 03:57 AM Re: 65mpg diesel power [Re: kane]
Peter1 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

in the foreseeable future, look to efficient gas engines and hybrids. Full EV won't happen unless government mandates it and pitches in to help with charging infrastructure and encourage renewable energy. And, there's the unresolved question about rare earth metals and inefficient, dirty coal fired plants. If you add tens of millions of EVs to the world's electrical grid, then you'll be burning a lot more carbon-based fuel to power them at this time. That's just a fact.

EV's are great, but they are something of a bait and switch UNLESS there's a holistic effort to incorporate them into a renewable energy circle. That is == start with wind/solar/tidal, store energy in EV batteries that can be downloaded into your home in the evening, recharge overnight etc.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32