REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2793897 - 05/16/18 01:01 PM Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why
BillyOcean Offline
Phil Edwards status

Do you use front traction?

Would you ever, or are you opposed in concept?

If you are opposed, do you use tail traction?

If you do, how do you reconcile this apparent contradiction?

#2793908 - 05/16/18 01:12 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
manbearpig Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: in the bathroom
Didnt everyone hate front traction back in the day?

Just seems like its the trendy thing to do right now. Tail pads only for me, and occasionally no pads. The latter especially on traditional fish, but Im not opposed to it.

#2793916 - 05/16/18 01:21 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
No.

I've tried astrodeck, versa traction, and viskus. I prefer wax though.

Yes, I use a tail pad.

I reconcile the contradiction because:

Astrodeck caused debilitating nipple rash. Also, my front foot would get caught on the corner of the astrodeck at times when I was popping up, especially when wearing booties.

Versa traction didn't have the tackiness of wax so your chest would slide off the board.

Viskus worked the best because it was tacky but becomes slippery after 10 uses or so.

Rear foot traction doesn't rash my sensitive bits, provides superior traction for the dominant foot used when turning (hpsb surfing), helps a bit in preventing tail cancer, helps my foot find the right spot.

#2793946 - 05/16/18 01:56 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: SJC
Like the nostalgia of wax, the process, the smell, grip is usually an after thought.

I mostly use tail pads, but if a board "tells" me it doesn't need one I'll leave one off. Usually works.

I've tried front grip, it's fine, but I don't like the way it looks.

Surprised by how well a raw cork deck works, never slipped off the boards I've had with it.

#2793958 - 05/16/18 02:08 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
A thin coat of the spray on traction and then a little wax over that is a good combo that won't tear up your chest.

#2794012 - 05/16/18 03:57 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Shorter boards prefer a tail pad, even though sometimes you're standing just in front of it, it's a good gauge of where you're at or where you should be.

Longer boards your foot placement can vary a bit more so wax only seems fine as you're not usually at the very back of the board anyway.

#2794015 - 05/16/18 04:06 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
GromsDad Online   content
Tom Curren status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
Front traction worked for Barton Lynch and Glen Winton back in the day. Not my cup of tea though. Tail pad is a must have on a short board.

#2794021 - 05/16/18 04:21 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
BillyOcean Offline
Phil Edwards status

Heres my grumpy old man take

Surfboard margins suck

Traction pad margins are great

Surfboard makers want to sell you accessories like traction so they make better profits

At one time, nobody used them

But now everyone is convinced you must have this $40 accessory

Soon everyone will be convinced you need the $40 front traction too

Now your board cost just went up by 5%

#2794036 - 05/16/18 04:32 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean

Surfboard margins suck

Surfboard makers want to sell you accessories like traction so they make better profits

I don't think so. I think there is a legitimate function to a rear pad. While one is still able to surf a hpsb without a rear pad, I argue you can push even harder with one.

Regarding front foot traction I think some people like them, some people don't, and some use them because their favorite pro uses them.

I agree that they are expensive though. Margins on those things must be yuuuuuge.

#2794037 - 05/16/18 04:33 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status

See photos of Barton Lynch and Glen Winton above.

#2794038 - 05/16/18 04:36 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean

Surfboard margins suck

No. I don't see front traction being a thing again. There have been so many traction gimmicks over the years that I've lost count. Everyone goes back to wax in the end.

Who remembers when nano speed sprays on the bottom of boards was going to be the next big thing?

Don't forget your $120 set of must have fins.

PS: Surfboard makers don't sell traction.....surf shops do. The real money there is in the clothing anyway.

#2794040 - 05/16/18 04:37 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: nightfly]
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: nightfly
See photos of Barton Lynch and Glen Winton above.

Dang I'm getting old........

#2794042 - 05/16/18 04:41 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
Racer1 Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I have rear traction on all boards and front traction on a few. I personally like the way I can move the board when my feet are in front traction. You can pull the board under you or push it ahead of you like a skateboard with grip tape. I also like that both my front and back foot are now on the same level. I also enjoy not putting any wax on when I surf. I think it's fun for a few boards in the quiver. The flat corduroy ones don't cause me any rash.

#2794051 - 05/16/18 05:00 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Here's proof:

/thread

#2794054 - 05/16/18 05:01 PM Re: Front Traction, or, Your Traction Preferences and Why [Re: BillyOcean]
EntropyFletch Offline
Nep status

Loc: San Diego
Normally I'd say yes to rear (for HPish boards, NO for old school boards/fishes) and NO to front...cause I'm 39 with bad knees and cant do airs.

However I just picked up a sick barely used CI Twin Fin that had Octopus traction front and back, and despite feeling like a goon while paddling out it worked quite well. I dont think im going to go to the trouble of peeling it off...but if I get a bunch of shit at my local (which is decidedly old school...) I may.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >