REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2755150 - 02/26/18 12:45 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: Autoprax]
J_D_J Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: The OC
Originally Posted By: Autoprax
This is exciting!

Like a movie.

Starring Steven Seagal, the fat and weird looking version.

#2755195 - 02/26/18 01:39 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
gbarsby3 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

I hope they find this jackass.

#2755378 - 02/26/18 05:15 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: GDaddy]
deforest Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: GDaddy
Originally Posted By: deforest
The add is back up. Good luck. Id plan to meet for board but bring a baseball bat and a couple friends. That should do the trick.

Don't put yourselves at risk for getting arrested. No board is worth that. Don't get mad, get even.

The last I looked, possession of stolen property is a felony, regardless of its value or how the person came to be in possession of it. A crook who's arrested for a felony usually isn't getting out of jail without at least posting a bond and/or seeing a judge.

If you set it up with the cops, you might be able to work out a deal where they sit on some side street a mile away while you make contact (solo), then once you see your stuff you can call them on your cell to come keep the peace. "We are having a dispute and I'd like you to come keep the peace so that nothing bad happens." No search warrants are involved for that service.

The cops take some names down, get some pics of what they're seeing, they write a report, submit it to their investigators for follow up, and at a bare minimum your thief is on their radar.

You are describing a "perfect" scenario. In real life cops are a little too busy to worry about stolen surfboards. Plus, i'm sure the thief will be on the lookout for cops standing by. In my opinion, on something like this, you should try and handle it on your own. Once you threaten the lawless prick that you're gonna hurt them unless they give you YOUR shit back... you get your boards back... then you can call the cops and file a police report. Maybe write the license plate down, give a statement and be on your way (with your board back in your possession). Coordinating a "steak out" or "setup" with a local law enforcement on a small crime (less than $500 in damages) will only be a waste of time and energy.

#2755476 - 02/26/18 07:21 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
coldhands Offline
Grom

Ive been to the police and had a case when the stuff first got stolen. Been talking to them and all Ive gotten from them is how do you know its your board and we can go to the house with you an ask for it back, but if he says he doesnt have it we cant do anything and also we dont have enough evidence to get a search warrant and also the police said the only officer who can help is the detective who was originally assigned and hes unavailable for multiple days so sorry.

#2755479 - 02/26/18 07:22 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: deforest]
coldhands Offline
Grom

Definitely, this was exactly my thinking. So far the police have been no help

#2755503 - 02/26/18 08:01 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
Shacks Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I was a victim of buying a stolen board once .. purchased a board on clist ,used it for couple months then decided to resell it .. placed a ad on Craigslist ,next thing I know I get phone call from a police investigator , telling me the board I had was reported stolen ..officer showed up at my house and confiscated the board . Was out couple hundred bucks.. so now Im more careful especially if you see a board and the price is too good or something seems odd

#2755547 - 02/26/18 09:29 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
b.r. Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Leucadia
when i was younger surfing i.b. all the time, my friends David Craig board got stolen, a few weeks later a guy paddled out near my other friend Blake and blake noticed the board and said, hey that's my friends board, where did you get it, the guy said he bought it at a garage sale, and blake paddled up to him and pushed him off the board and grabbed it and yells at the guy, that board was stolen, its my friends and either you stole it or you bought a stolen board so take off your leash, the guy tried to argue but blake 'convinced' him it was a bad idea so the guy swam in and blake paddled two boards in. Jimmy was stoked to get his board back.

I hope you get your boards back, thieves suck,

and btw, a couple different friends had some stuff stolen and like you they did all the detective work, found the person trying to sell it and the police were no help at all. If you aren't stealing it in front of their face they don't want to deal with it...

#2755622 - 02/26/18 11:32 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Kek Point
Originally Posted By: coldhands
Ive been to the police and had a case when the stuff first got stolen. Been talking to them and all Ive gotten from them is how do you know its your board and we can go to the house with you an ask for it back, but if he says he doesnt have it we cant do anything and also we dont have enough evidence to get a search warrant and also the police said the only officer who can help is the detective who was originally assigned and hes unavailable for multiple days so sorry.

So the police aren't dealing with stolen property?

What sort of message does that send?

If those are the answers you're getting I would be aggressively - and I mean aggressively - pursuing multiple avenues including news media i.e. Turko. Go to your neighborhood substation and do not take no for an answer - start asking who is in charge of the department handling your case - demand name, phone # and email address. Contact that person and demand answers. Ask them how you are supposed to get your stolen property back. Then keep going higher if that's what it takes. Also, going in person helps. In certain situations email too - you can keep a record of their responses that way.

a) you have a report that was made when the board was stolen
b) you have photos of the board that were posted here when the board was stolen
c) the board in the OfferUp ad can be matched to those photos

Think about this - police in SD routinely recover stolen items (bicycles, tools, jewelry, etc) from pawn shops and used sporting goods stores based on very basic info from owners. And it's probably likely the thief already has a criminal record they can look into.

You're a young kid and cops (not to mention most other people who are older than you) expect they can blow you off - when you start pushing they'll do their job.

You need to learn to be a PITA when it comes to government agencies and bureaucracies otherwise they often will never do their job. Persistence and keeping on top of them pays off.

#2755642 - 02/27/18 12:38 AM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
manbearpig Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: in the bathroom
Police have been zero help in my experience with items of similar value, and even more so.

Edited by manbearpig (02/27/18 12:38 AM)

#2755743 - 02/27/18 10:13 AM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: manbearpig]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Kek Point
In my experience city employees (i.e. cops, code enforcement) are generally of no help until pushed to be of help OR until you you establish a relationship with them.

Also, establishing a relationship with your Community Resource officer helps too. In SD I've found them to be responsive to issues.

I would email and explain the situation and the evidence (maybe attach photos of the board) and ask them "What is the appropriate way for me to retrieve my stolen property since the police have told me they cannot do so?"

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/cros_area_map.pdf

#2755858 - 02/27/18 01:02 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
deforest Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: coldhands
Definitely, this was exactly my thinking. So far the police have been no help

In reality, you have to hand everything to the police on a silver platter. Pretty much spoon feed it to them. I personally think police officers should go to law school (same as attorneys) before becoming an officer. Lots of Cops dont even know the law very well... they just take orders and do what they're told.

Anyways... the thieves are probably reading this thread. They're probably gonna sell the board offline or get cash at a pawn shop or play it again sports type shop. I think the only way you're gonna get your boards back is if someone sees them out in the water or on the streets. I'll keep an eye out and hopefully everyone else will do the same. Good luck COLDHANDS!! fight

#2778812 - 04/15/18 04:35 PM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
rid Offline
Gerry Lopez status

#2779105 - 04/16/18 11:32 AM Re: San Diego STOLEN BOARDS! help [Re: coldhands]
Drumsurf Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Beach
Looks like a different board than the OP posted. Different logo on the bottom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32