REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2744145 - 02/04/18 03:23 PM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: surfflexx]
VonMeister Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
Originally Posted By: surfflexx
Do tell moron. "The diagnosis of shoulder impingement is a label given to anterior shoulder pain. The actual diagnosis is "shoulder pain".....although I wouldn't diagnose anything on the internet." roflmao

I stand by what I said. There's no way to know exactly what is going on in his shoulder via the internet.

Impingement is used incorrectly every day by people like you. Then you double down and start insinuating that he has a cuff injury....through a message board diagnosis. roflmao
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P. J. O'Rourke

When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look at him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend because she knows shes dating a pussy. -General James Mattis

#2744201 - 02/04/18 05:50 PM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
surfflexx Offline
Nep status

Loc: usa
You can stand on your ass. I neither diagnosed nor assessed. I suggest by my post to investigate possible reasons of injury. You are a moron who hides behind assess to a message board to pretend to be an expert after a couple of weekend seminars. Anybody with any brains knows your depth and years of experience is minimal.oh but please give me some rolling laughter. Bend over and crack a smile. Jerk.

#2744222 - 02/04/18 07:43 PM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: surfflexx]
VonMeister Offline

Originally Posted By: surfflexx
You can stand on your ass. I neither diagnosed nor assessed. I suggest by my post to investigate possible reasons of injury. You are a moron who hides behind assess to a message board to pretend to be an expert after a couple of weekend seminars. Anybody with any brains knows your depth and years of experience is minimal.oh but please give me some rolling laughter. Bend over and crack a smile. Jerk.

Was it the snake oil remark? roflmao
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P. J. O'Rourke

When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look at him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend because she knows shes dating a pussy. -General James Mattis

#2744223 - 02/04/18 07:54 PM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: VonMeister]
surfflexx Offline
Nep status

Not at all sweetheart. Xoxo

#2744230 - 02/04/18 08:42 PM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
Thin slice for efficiency and then test.
"[A]ccurate navigation requires triangulation at bare minimum. [S]adly, most human individual intellectual capacity is hardware limited to one of 2 or 3 basic world-views. [C]ontained within such structures, it's pragmatic and mandatory they ignore the infinite nuance that actually composes the world." --drunjk

#2744500 - 02/05/18 03:29 PM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
BillyOcean Offline
Miki Dora status

I had some minor shoulder discomfort recently which persisted for a couple of months

Its gone now

My not so scientific method:

Cut surf sessions a little shorter. I try not to go over 3 hrs now.

Varied weight training: hit overhead press 2x per week and horizontal press 1-2x per week. I had not bench pressed in years and surprisingly this seems to have helped. Use very strict form. Also mix in ring dips, ring pushups and kettlebell overhead presses. For warm up, I do pull aparts with a light band. Also added in mace swings on off days. I think the variety is strengthening shoulder from all angles and increasing stability. Biggest surprise is bench press- I think I had a horizontal pressing deficiency

#2744822 - 02/06/18 06:08 AM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: BillyOcean]
surfflexx Offline
Nep status

Science is but a work in progress. You have one hec of a strong workout going. I've not tried mace swings yet. Good that you're back to 100%.

#2745979 - 02/08/18 07:13 AM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
GromsDad Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
I have gotten tremendous relief to my shoulder problems by simply lifting the entire stack on my Lat machine and just holding it there for as long as I can. Basically hanging. I do it a couple times once a day. As the pain has eased now I have begun pulling my shoulders down as I hang lifting the weights an inch or two a few times. I've been doing this almost two months now and it is the first thing I've found that really works.
Building wave pools is just being desperate, hoping to make surfing something it's not. Surfing isn't done in a pool. Surfing's done in the ocean. I mean, are you fooking really going to travel to Kansas to surf the world's best wave pool? Bobby Martinez

#2745989 - 02/08/18 08:33 AM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
BillyOcean Offline
Miki Dora status

Yeah, Im no doctor but I wonder if strength imbalances coupled with repetitive stress from surfing is the issue in general

Strengthen the muscles all around the joint and the joint is better able to cope with the surfing stress

#2746211 - 02/08/18 03:07 PM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: ex-pat Huntington Beach
This thread is no longer worth the bytes it's memorialized upon. Let's move on shall we? Face it, shoulder pain is a pain in the butt.

#2778637 - 04/15/18 01:23 AM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
SlicedFeet Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Swarm Diego
Theory now.

Wounds never go away...its an evolutionary trait. I still have pain in the same place and have learned to deal with it. Mechanical breakdown that, yes, can be helped by building the supporting muscle and rest, but will never be the same. The beauty of evolution, a 45+ plus individual should not be doing the same stuff as a 20 year old.

There would never be progression in the species. Get wise, train the next gen, etc.

The hard part is accepeting to slow down...

#2778675 - 04/15/18 09:42 AM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
I would reframe slowing down to being more efficient by drawing on experience.
"[A]ccurate navigation requires triangulation at bare minimum. [S]adly, most human individual intellectual capacity is hardware limited to one of 2 or 3 basic world-views. [C]ontained within such structures, it's pragmatic and mandatory they ignore the infinite nuance that actually composes the world." --drunjk

#2778700 - 04/15/18 11:59 AM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
VonMeister Offline

Older people just need to be smarter about volume and recovery. There's no reason to avoid physical activity based on age.

#2778832 - 04/15/18 05:09 PM Re: Another shoulder pain question. [Re: SlicedFeet]
JLW Offline
Billy Hamilton status

You can make a full 100% recovery. It just takes time.

I tore my rotator cuff and bicep tendon in 2014. I couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder. It took a full 6 months of physical therapy rehabilitation to be able to paddle a surfboard for 15 minutes. Then pain would set in.

It then took another 3 months to be able to surf for 2 hours....then maybe another 18 months before I could surf absolutely 100% pain-free as if I never had the injury at all.

That's over 2 years before making a full recovery...and I had been doing exercises and stretches to strengthen my shoulder joint the entire time.

So once again, while it does take a long time to make a full, 100% recovery, you can do it with some effort put into rehabilitation. Physical therapy does wonders.

Avoid going under the knife. It should be viewed as a last resort. If you read studies, it's been shown that shoulder surgery is just as effective as physical therapy. One should only go through with surgery if physical therapy fails them after several months.

Edited by JLW (04/15/18 05:10 PM)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32