REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2763157 - 03/14/18 10:10 AM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Location Location
By groveler, lots of guys mean "standard shortboard from the mid 1980's." Flat rocker, wide tail, thickness up through the nose. Throw some new construction into the mix and viola. Bon appetit.

#2763164 - 03/14/18 10:16 AM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: surfy1476]
Duffy Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: surfy1476
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: caramel_Sea
Was never my state of mind

Log, keel fish, quad fish, stubby shortboard, shortboard, step up

I ride my twin keel fish in everything from chest high to head and a half. Never thought to use it in tiny waves. Maybe I should try it.

Below chest its a grovler (or Wavestorm) and above head and half I go with a round tail.

No love for the firefly anymore? That's my go to for anything less than head high.

J7 Firefly? Still ride it. Havent much lately but I still ride it. Howd you know I have one?

Another thread a while back. Super fun board. I don't know why someone would get a super wide nose/tail potato type board when you can get a fish instead.

Oh. Right. So the Firefly is like a fish (sort of). Its wide and roundish but the tail isnt a deep cut fish tail, mine has wings and it most definately works the best as a tri fin. Its very similar to the original CI Pod but more fishy. I actually like the Pod better but the Firefly has more range.

I also have an OG Flyer which is better for on rail surfing (the Firefly is better for on tail surfing).

I like to change things up so I surf a bunch of different boards. I just havent surfed much these last couple months so its the twin keel fish.

You should see the borrowed board Im going to ride today.....

Its wacky.

- The Wasp

#2763170 - 03/14/18 10:38 AM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: Duffy]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
High Speed Grovel

52 x 20 x 2 3/8

#2763171 - 03/14/18 10:38 AM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: surfy1476]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
I don't know why someone would get a super wide nose/tail potato type board when you can get a fish instead.

Bottom end grovel, or more suitable to certain waves, depending on the fish.

There is for sure some room under something like the round nose fish or other quad fishes sized for thigh to stomach high surf with 2-3 things wrong with it. Sizing up a keel might result in a board as good as a hardcore, flat, wide grovel slab in glassy Shindonesia, but try tacking that across disjointed, bumpy lumps. A 70s keel might show its age relative to something more potato-ey when it comes to releasing, pivoting, and other quickness elements that facilitate grovel in micro slop.

#2763174 - 03/14/18 10:42 AM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: Greg Griffin]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
High Speed Grovel

52 x 20 x 2 3/8

Greg I don't mean to be disrespectful but that's in like the 70th or 80th percentile of of waist-stomach high surf. Put fins in Taj Burrow small wave pro model bump squash thruster, put weed in bong, have glorious day.

Edit: and not taking a shot at your shape or trying to fluff up my latest mass-produced used rack acquisition. Just saying, that surf is the solution to the needing a grovel board problem from the get go, not problem surf in need of a grovel solution.

#2763219 - 03/14/18 12:08 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: Sharkbiscuit]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

That wave is pretty flat and under belly high , maybe Butt high

Real grovel conditions at Backyards :

Not available anymore .

You know this guy on the bottom right ?

#2763275 - 03/14/18 01:08 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Miki Dora status

Greg that is a great point that I'm not seeing how flat the wave face is.

I do not recognize the surfer in the picture. Young Dunlop or Whiznant? Clay Bennet? One of St. A's Autrey clan? Rosborough?

I met a Backyards surfer travelling once. He was cool and had lots of great stories, but I didn't ask him any grovel stories. Invariably, all the stories he told involved getting complacent as he learned something new or improved his game at Backyards, then he'd try to bend or break this or that rule the long-time surfers had set him straight on.

This is where the really interesting part of the story started. They all seemed to involve a violent aquatic beating at the hands of the NPAC, an insta-snapped leash, a reef, and a serious swim.

#2763284 - 03/14/18 01:19 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
I liked my hynson twinzer better than my manta.

Maybe the manta was too big?

A little too much foam.

#2763491 - 03/14/18 05:28 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
deforest Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
I dont really get the groveler thing

You can get a shortboard going in 2-3 ft

Less than that, its longboard territory

Am I wrong?

No, you're right.

The idea behind the groveler is to fit modern good waves surfing into small surf when you would normally ride a longboard. But it's kinda BS.

I have had this discussion w/ 3 different shapers - and that's what all of them told me. All three of these shapers are exclusive shapers for three of the current top 10s on the WSL, and at least 2 of these shapers have grovelers in their lineup.

All three of them said basically the exact same thing. Your modern Southern California daily driver HPSB should be good in waves knee to chest high. If it's to small for it then get a longboard or find something else to do.

Actual quotes, from two of them, when I threw out the idea of ordering a groveler from them just to see what they would say: "No, you should stay off those things. Ride your regular board as much as possible." "You don't want that. Stay on your regular board." shocked

There's plenty of regular HPSBs out there that will work in small waves if the wave has curve. If the wave doesn't have curve you shouldn't be riding a groveler or a regular board. Ride a longboard.

Maybe a groveler is great for guys who can't make their own speed. That's really all I can figure. I had one in my quiver some years back and the actual number of times I needed to ride (or did ride it) I could count on one hand. It just wasn't all that necessary.

Totally agree with you Casa!

#2763545 - 03/14/18 06:35 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
rts265 Online   content
Michael Peterson status

when its too small for my quadfish I figure its a good time to rest

#2763549 - 03/14/18 06:49 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: deforest]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

The customer I posted doesn't care what Casa says .

He's experiencing something way more fun .

Riding it as a Twinzer in this pic

That's Dickie Rosborough in the lower right at Sunrise Surf Shop

Florida's 1968 world contest invitee .

#2763551 - 03/14/18 06:52 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
that board you posted looks fun Greg; i love trying different grovel boards.

#2763566 - 03/14/18 07:09 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: Greg Griffin]
Oceanslide Online   content
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
High Speed Grovel

52 x 20 x 2 3/8

Always liked the look of this one, especially with both the inline 3 and twinzer option.

I can't imagine ever not having a groveler or 2 or 3 in my quiver. Why? Because
they're way more f'ing fun in small surf than trying to jump around on a shortboard
in mediocre or less surf, and sometimes (most of the time) I don't want to ride a longboard.
I surf WAY more because of my Mantas than I would otherwise. I don't really care if
a pro-surfer shaper says I should be able to ride a shortboard or do something else,
because I'll never be a pro surfer and....I want to surf, damnit!! And, god forbid, have FUN.
wave2

Edit: I'm about 6'3" and 205 (at least), and the waves suck here most of the time. Make of that what you will.

Edited by Oceanslide (03/14/18 07:19 PM)

#2763570 - 03/14/18 07:16 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
oceanslide - you forgot to add that you are a full grown adult unlike the rest of us elf-like sized surfers.

#2763579 - 03/14/18 07:30 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
Maz Offline
Nep status

Loc: Upsidedownistan
Some waves/spots/days are super fun on a groveler, and awful on a SB, I don't understand why you would categorically write off grovelers. Nothing uglier than desperately trying to ride a 'performance board' in weak waves.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >