REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2734311 - 01/12/18 09:06 PM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: Duffy]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: Somewhere else
roflmao

No Duffy. That's not a translation. That's some kind of a personal interpretation/issue you are having. Some surfers are very well informed. Some of them on the other hand are decidedly less so. poke

I'm sorry you have had such horrible experiences with custom surfboards. Have you ever considered the possibility that perhaps you are part of your ongoing problem?

shrug

But rest easy, for the most part my interactions/efforts are confined to shapers. I'll be the first to admit I don't have the temperment to do retail with the surfing general public on a daily basis. Thank God huh?

Have a great weekend!

wave2

#2734321 - 01/12/18 09:42 PM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: rolling]
sakana_kid Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: 808
I often have shapers tell me that I might want to go a little longer, a little wider or narrower, or even change up the thickness. I initiate that type of conversation by asking if it fits a certain board models outline. Sometimes it doesnt and I have changed board model after discussion with the shaper. I tend to like email better and feel that it is less bothersome to the shaper.

#2734324 - 01/12/18 09:46 PM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: GWS]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
"I'm sorry you have had such horrible experiences with custom surfboards. Have you ever considered the possibility that perhaps you are part of your ongoing problem?"

More LSD !! drowning

#2734330 - 01/12/18 09:57 PM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: sakana_kid]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: sakana_kid
I often have shapers tell me that I might want to go a little longer, a little wider or narrower, or even change up the thickness. I initiate that type of conversation by asking if it fits a certain board models outline. Sometimes it doesnt and I have changed board model after discussion with the shaper. I tend to like email better and feel that it is less bothersome to the shaper.

That sounds shockingly reasonable.

#2734332 - 01/12/18 09:59 PM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: Greg Griffin]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
"I'm sorry you have had such horrible experiences with custom surfboards. Have you ever considered the possibility that perhaps you are part of your ongoing problem?"

More LSD !! drowning

Luke Short Designs.

Cut a few of those, but I would agree that I would like to do more!

wink

#2734340 - 01/12/18 10:30 PM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: GWS]
Duffy Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: GWS
roflmao

No Duffy. That's not a translation. That's some kind of a personal interpretation/issue you are having. Some surfers are very well informed. Some of them on the other hand are decidedly less so. poke

I'm sorry you have had such horrible experiences with custom surfboards. Have you ever considered the possibility that perhaps you are part of your ongoing problem?

shrug

But rest easy, for the most part my interactions/efforts are confined to shapers. I'll be the first to admit I don't have the temperment to do retail with the surfing general public on a daily basis. Thank God huh?

Have a great weekend!

wave2

I dont have any problems with customs. I rarely get them anymore. Ridiculous timelines, not making what I order, shitty attitudes. Sorry, you dont get my money when you that. Its 2018. Us customers dont have to put up with that kind of bullshit anymore.

When I do get customs, I get them from J7 Surfboards. Jason makes what I ask for (usually its pretty weird) and he gives me a realistic timeframe and hes never been late.

I aint that hard, yet many shapers are still of the attitude that they are creating some kind of alchemy and their customers are a necessary evil.

And shapers wonder why the custom market is drying up. They think its because the customers are stupid but it actually the opposite. The customers have figured out that they can get the board they want, right now and if they like it they can get another one that they can have a reasonable expectation of it riding pretty damn close to the same as their old board.

#2734382 - 01/13/18 03:25 AM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: jkb]
LoganV Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: jkb
If I order a custom board, I expect to get what I order.

If my tweaks aren't going to work for said board, then I expect a conversation from the shaper prior to shaping my board on why it won't work so that we can both agree on something that will work.

If a board shows up different than what I order and I get the "that won't work" line, then I'm going to assume you either fvcked up on shaping the board by not reading the dims or you fvcked up by assuming I wouldn't care that you made changes to my order.

Shapers need to communicate with their customers and take the time to help them understand shaping concepts, even if it's a time suck.

My view. Well said.

#2734641 - 01/13/18 03:04 PM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: rolling]
Havoc4k Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: in da hood next to paradise
also, saffas need to realize it may take 2-3 iterations to dial in a design to your surfing and body type.

#2734815 - 01/13/18 10:23 PM Re: too much focus on dimensions [Re: Havoc4k]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
also, saffas need to realize it may take 2-3 iterations to dial in a design to your surfing and body type.

I find that to be the case. Sometimes an off the rack board is good, but needs an adjustment, sometimes a custom isn't quite right first time. Pros and cons to either approach.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2