REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2711309 - 11/13/17 06:05 PM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
RattimusB Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Torrance, CA
It would be sweet to see a video of Tomo talking about the El Tomo but I guess Firewire/Slater boards are more of a priority right now. Wonder what he thinks about the hatchets haha I'm sure he has his reasons for putting them on there.

Edited by RattimusB (11/13/17 07:24 PM)

#2711321 - 11/13/17 06:31 PM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
I think the El Tomo is supposed to be a Firewire model at some point, but it won't come with fins. I'm sure there will be a video discussing its design then.

As far as the hatchets go, I think Dan probably designed them around surfing a place like Lennox Head that has plenty of power on tap. For everyday NCSD, I think flat foiled fins are the call for this board. I suspect the same might be true for the south bay.

#2711345 - 11/13/17 07:28 PM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
RattimusB Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Yea, you're probably right. Had a few experiences with Aussie boards that didn't work so good out here. I'll switch out the double-foil fins for something else.

#2711359 - 11/13/17 08:03 PM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
waxurDyl Offline
Nep status

Loc: SoBay
Originally Posted By: deforest
Originally Posted By: waxurDyl
I ordered a 53 couple years ago. It was a good board that did just about everything I wanted it to do. Never tried a FW so cant compare. But the bottom contours do seem more pronounced(for the better) coming out of Javiers shop.
Sorry again for the small pics, I wish I didnt suck at technology

WOW! That color though!! jam_on So nice!! I would love to have one in that color! Didn't you sell that board to Ron?? lol.
Lol!! Ive sold him a few boards, not that one didnt go east

#2711456 - 11/14/17 12:04 AM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
Fingers Offline
Grom

Loc: Gold Coast
Tomos not the missah. Hes just a very naughty boy
Heres the link to JS surfboards- Japanese company - look at the U2FOUR XPS model. http://www.jssurfboards.com/model.html

This model has been around pre 2007. Tomo was still dicking around with his fishes at the time(he had a (co) interview in the board guide publication).... I was involved with the industry at the time and couldnt believe the blatant rip off > so much for his golden numbers and theorys on aeronautical design! Just go to another country and give no credit to the original designers.
Nice job

Edited by Fingers (11/14/17 12:05 AM)

#2711536 - 11/14/17 11:18 AM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: Fingers]
njsurfer42 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: shrouded in a 5/4
Originally Posted By: Fingers
Heres the link to JS surfboards- Japanese company - look at the U2FOUR XPS model. http://www.jssurfboards.com/model.html

This model has been around pre 2007. Tomo was still dicking around with his fishes at the time(he had a (co) interview in the board guide publication).... I was involved with the industry at the time and couldnt believe the blatant rip off > so much for his golden numbers and theorys on aeronautical design! Just go to another country and give no credit to the original designers.
Nice job

rolleyes rolleyes

that model has WAAAYYY more outline curve than the evo & the bottom is completely different. hardly a "blatant rip off".
from your tone & word choices, i'm guessing you have a chip on your shoulder regarding tomo.

#2711563 - 11/14/17 11:50 AM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: Fingers]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Nice job

On the website you linked, it says the U2Four came out in 2014 shrug

#2711618 - 11/14/17 12:55 PM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
delmartian Offline
Grom

Loc: San Diego
I agree with jkb on the Evo range. It's a classic shape and fun to surf in a very wide range of So Cal conditions. But there does comes a point when all that speed the the board creates starts to become a liability and you start skipping across the surface just trying to control the thing.

In my opinion, it's the parallel rails that get it going so fast, not really the channel(s). But I'm certainly no expert. I just know that both my Evo and Hydronaut have very similar channels, but there is a world of difference between the two boards when it comes to speed generation vs speed control. I'm sure rocker plays into that too, but to me it seems like the outline is the biggest factor.

#2711699 - 11/14/17 02:38 PM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
RattimusB Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Tomo vs. Biolos vs. JS PT2 lol toilet

#2711929 - 11/15/17 07:31 AM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
Fingers Offline
Grom

On the website it says it was actually launched in 2002; its in Japanese so Im not sure what section you were referring to?

that model has WAAAYYY more outline curve than the evo & the bottom is completely different. hardly a "blatant rip off".
from your tone & word choices, i'm guessing you have a chip on your shoulder regarding tomo

seriously... thats what youre coming back with thought

Dont really care, I thought Id just bring it up as a piece of information. Ill leave it at that.........continue on

Edited by Fingers (11/15/17 07:40 AM)

#2711930 - 11/15/17 07:41 AM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: Fingers]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

On the website it says it was actually launched in 2002; its in Japanese so Im not sure what section you were referring to?

It says the U2 was developed in 2002. It's the board on the far left in the pic and looks nothing like the Evo.

The U2Four (the model you're referring to) came out "last year." Last year referring to 2014 since the list of board models you linked is from 2015 (it says that on the top of the page). Evo came about in 2012 or so.

Not that it matters anyways. I'm sure someone made this outline long before Tomo or JS. But Tomo has given credit for his design inspiration on this one. He calls the Evo a MPH or Modern Planning Hull, which is a nod to the planning hulls developed by Bob Simmons 60 years ago.

#2712131 - 11/15/17 05:46 PM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
Fingers Offline
Grom

Just so were on the same page, Id suggest clicking on the website link and scroll to the bottom of the page.

#2712165 - 11/15/17 06:50 PM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Sigh. Here, let me help you. Yes, I'm looking at this board.

And here is the description.

Quote:
U2FOUR XPS
Hybrid model of U2 announced in 2002 and FOUR announced last year. Enjoy free surfing! The picture uses XPS (Styrofoam). Urethane, EPS is also acceptable. ※ XPS is all light blue.

So in other words, the U2 (the board pictured in the magazine I posted) was developed in 2002. The U2Four was an update (or hybrid) to the U2 developed "last year," meaning 2014 since the link you posted is a rundown of models for 2015.

#2712323 - 11/16/17 06:49 AM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: jkb]
Fingers Offline
Grom

Sigh
jee, your a bit of a patronising prick.
So the way youre reading it, Im a retard with no perception of time or concepts!
As I said originally... pre 2007 have the magazine .
I was there & involved at the time....boards outlines evolve and change
I understand you cant change fan boys perceptions (usually have there eyes closed when there on there knees) ban

Edited by Fingers (11/16/17 06:59 AM)

#2712325 - 11/16/17 07:27 AM Re: TOMO EVO XTR [Re: deforest]
Fingers Offline
Grom

In case you missed it, I was insinuating that you go down on guys!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >