REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2703294 - 10/27/17 01:51 PM Peroneus Longus stain
crotchgrab Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Had a bad drop and got lipped and compressed when my back foot was everted (b/c of the drop knee/ instep position of back foot). I heard a slight pop and instantly came in.
My physical therapist is quite certain that it's a peroneus longus strain due to my stability through all the other parts of my ankle and where it felt most tender. Also my talus had come out of alignment.
It's been about 5 days. I'm still having a bit of trouble with dynamic movement and the last bit of push-off with that foot while walking.
My question: when is a good to time to start actively rehabilitating? i.e. controlled calf raises, soft sand walking and stretching?
Thanks a bunch for any help.

#2705819 - 11/02/17 12:38 AM Re: Peroneus Longus stain [Re: crotchgrab]
VonMeister Online   mad
Phil Edwards status

Congratulations. You are a unicorn. A dislocated talus...holy moly.

This is an injury that you push through. Let pain be your guide. Active rehab starts at the end of the acute phase, about a week. High volume low stress initially. I had my peroneus longus tendon debrided during a surgical procedure and as far as that pain went, it resolved fairly quickly.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P. J. O'Rourke

When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look at him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend because she knows shes dating a pussy. -General James Mattis

#2706251 - 11/02/17 06:39 PM Re: Peroneus Longus stain [Re: crotchgrab]
crotchgrab Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

That's great to hear, VonMeister. Thanks for the response. I just let it rest for a few days but actually started feeling better when I started some high volume stability stuff. One-legged squats, flat side of the bosu ball,. It's amazing how your body immediately locks up an injured area.
TONS of stiffness all the way up the peroneus muscle.

#2706423 - 11/03/17 02:10 AM Re: Peroneus Longus stain [Re: crotchgrab]
VonMeister Online   mad
Phil Edwards status

Just staying on your feet is usually enough. Mine sometimes pops when I straighten or flex my foot, but it doesn't cause any pain. Once you can jog you're on the other side of it and it should resolve in a matter of days.

Careful of the stiffness. While it's probably no big deal, you could have a tear of some sort. Don't manually pull or use body weight to loosen it up by forcing range of motion. Just stick with natural movements and let it resolve. Last thing you want is to increase that injury and wind up off your feet for a period of time. Life is miserable then.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P. J. O'Rourke

When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look at him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend because she knows shes dating a pussy. -General James Mattis

#2706429 - 11/03/17 05:15 AM Re: Peroneus Longus stain [Re: crotchgrab]
crotchgrab Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Ok, great. That seems like a good game plan. I think I'll stick to the active range of motion while slightly upping load or dynamics. Then some slight static stretches. Thanks, VM.

#2710360 - 11/11/17 03:11 AM Re: Peroneus Longus stain [Re: crotchgrab]
crotchgrab Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

The good news is that the peroneus is healed but that revealed the deeper injury as that pain subsided. I'm posting this for anyone who may be searching the bowels of the erBB for it in the future:
My MRI revealed a torn Anterior Tibio-Fibular Ligament. Or, generally, a high ankle sprain. Turns out its a common injury for "elite surfers". Here's a study: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273146004_High_ankle_sprain_The_new_elite_surfing_injury

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32