REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2697089 - 10/12/17 12:48 PM Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon??
Mr_Stagger_Lee Offline
Phil Edwards status

Just saw this and figured it might be worth talking about. I heard rumors a few years ago but then it all went quiet until today!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/fl...year/756830001/

"Hawaii is an important place for Southwest Airlines because so many people count on us to take them everywhere they want to go reliably and affordably,'' Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said in a statement. "We're ready and excited to address a request we've heard for years."

#2697092 - 10/12/17 12:52 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
what's their board bag fee?

edit:
Sports Equipment - Special Items
The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

Surfboard/kiteboard, keels and fins must be removed and placed in carryon or checked baggage.

meanwhile
Golf bag in hard-sided golf bag carrying case provided by Passenger, including clubs, balls, and shoes. Hooded golf bags or golf bags in a soft-sided carrying case provided by the Passenger will be subject to limited release.
Note: Overweight charges will apply to golf bags exceeding 50 pounds.

fook them too

Edited by stu dog (10/12/17 01:00 PM)

#2697093 - 10/12/17 01:01 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: stu dog]
Mr_Stagger_Lee Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: stu dog

Dunno, but just imagine no seat assignment and the scramble to get situated for a nice 5 hour route, well maybe 6 if there are a couple delays on the tarmac. Last time I had to fly SW from LAX to SAC the only seat that I could get, because I was worried about my son getting a good seat, was between two round women. They felt so guilty that the only seat open was between them that they moved together and left me the aisle. We had to fly with all the arm rest up though because their bodies could not conform to the space. I had to fly the 1 hour flight in a lean position, unable to free myself from full upper body contact with the woman next to me! Pretty much sucked.

#2697100 - 10/12/17 01:14 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

I tend to stick to a single carrier
Hawaiian if at all possible out of loyalty and United for everything else
This way I can accumulate my miles into platinum or premier status for upgrades and free flights
It also means having to buy things on their cards as well.

The only problem with Hawaiian is they don't fly everywhere across the country and neither does Alaska were as Southwest can pretty much get you anywhere including he podunk places that aren't hubs. The only problem is they are budget airlines and provide a budget product. When you fly long distance liek 5-10 hours flight or multi hops/connections to allot of places you don't want budget service or reliability or the people that fly budget that can make or break you trip trapped in a sardine can.

Interesting if they create a price war with Hawaiian and the others like Alaska, United, Delta and American

I miss Aloha they used to fly into Oakland, John Wayne, Portland and Vancouver BC

something weird about being called up as a platinum pualani
feels like you're obligated to do some kind of mahu hand on the hip walk as you board the plane

#2697102 - 10/12/17 01:17 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
bruddahkine Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
I can't stand SouthWorst but if this forces Hawaiian and Alaska to reduce their prices I'm all for it.

#2697103 - 10/12/17 01:19 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: oneula]
bruddahkine Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: oneula

I miss Aloha they used to fly into Oakland, John Wayne, Portland and Vancouver BC

Usually had great pricing on those flights too.

#2697145 - 10/12/17 02:31 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: bruddahkine]
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Truly miss ... Aloha Airlines.
Hawaiian, is getting to be like United Airlines .... bricks
Loved / Luv'd ~ flying into John Wayne and not .... LAX , on Aloha Airlines.

#2697150 - 10/12/17 02:33 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: PPK96754]
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Orange County
Originally Posted By: PPK96754

Loved / Luv'd ~ flying into John Wayne and not .... LAX

Same PPK!

#2697154 - 10/12/17 02:41 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: bruddahkine]
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status

Loc: world's largest oregon
Originally Posted By: bruddahkine
I can't stand SouthWorst...

their seating policy is all

#2697173 - 10/12/17 03:15 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: PPK96754]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA

when they just came out of bankruptcy Hawaiian as I recall was the first to nickle and dime extra $'s for food during the flight & bulk head seat charge.

#2697176 - 10/12/17 03:21 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

it's weird how people either really love SWA or really hate it.

I'm all about the SWA love.

#2697179 - 10/12/17 03:23 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
LelandCuz Offline
Nep status

Loc: Lahaina
Hmm, I gotta check their checked pet policy. Right now Alaskan is the only airline left that I can use to get my dog and I back and forth from the Mainland. For what it's worth my Alaskan flight Oct 31 and June 6 was $721. Taj costs $100 each way with Alaskan.

Edited by LelandCuz (10/12/17 03:24 PM)

#2697187 - 10/12/17 03:35 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
92122 Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: Mr_Stagger_Lee
Originally Posted By: stu dog

Dunno, but just imagine no seat assignment and the scramble to get situated for a nice 5 hour route,

And I hear Southwest now sells the priority boarding (A) spots.

Try to check in the first minute you can, you'll never get A 1-30, and often you get B spots.

Not too keen on Southwest anymore. The seating free for all is a joke.

#2697188 - 10/12/17 03:35 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: PPK96754]
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Location Location
Truly miss ... Aloha Airlines.
Loved / Luv'd ~ flying into John Wayne and not .... LAX , on Aloha Airlines.

I miss Aloha too... they were the best for interisland... such a shame how an old local company got pushed out, and for what?

I am pretty much Hawaiian exclusive for mainland travel. Got my Hawaiian Miles card and I put everything on it that I pay off each month. Gas, groceries, bill payments, then just pay it off each month so no interest. Going to be able to pay my mortgage on it pretty soon. Rack up miles pretty quick -- I haven't paid for a flight in a while.

#2697190 - 10/12/17 03:44 PM Re: Cheaper flights to/from Hawaii coming soon?? [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
LelandCuz Offline
Nep status

Loc: Lahaina
Hawaiian got STRICT with the 70lb limit tqo years ago. My dog & kennel is always 71-713lbs and was never a problem before but last time they wouldn't take us and made me book him through cargo the next day after having to stay overnight at a LAX hotel. What a hassle and 6x the cost so no more Hawaiian flights. Alaskan doesn't care about a couple pounds and leaving OGG they didn't even weigh him last time.

Edited by LelandCuz (10/12/17 03:45 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32