REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2671921 - 08/11/17 12:36 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
Racer1 Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
The value in XTR for me:

Customizable within 4-6 weeks.
Much more durable than PU or EPS (I have a three year old tomo that still feels new).
Waterproof foam (that tomo has had a rail ding for a year now, one day I'll fix it).
Works well in wind (I normally surf 20mph side shore waves, works much better than EPS).
Epoxy doesn't yellow.
Delam issues solved (I regularly leave that Tomo in my car during the day with no problems).

Also have a 5'9 Neckbeard and a 5'10 sampler that have been surfed 10-15 times each with very minimal deck pressures.

#2671926 - 08/11/17 01:03 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: Racer1]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
well that sounds pretty good

So shralpy, you get em for resale? Cause you don't have em long enough to wear em out!

#2671930 - 08/11/17 01:10 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: ]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Can't wait facelick

#2671950 - 08/11/17 05:38 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
Racer1 Offline
Miki Dora status

Forgot to add: XTR price is roughly the same as off the rack PU.

Lost is $720
CI is $729
Pyzel is $695
Patterson is $625 (ordering one next)
Tomo is $797

They also shipped three boards in one box to Hawaii for $180.

Edited by Racer1 (08/11/17 05:46 AM)

#2671973 - 08/11/17 08:05 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
SharkBoy Offline
Michael Peterson status

I like XTR...but it's best for clean surf IMO. Maybe the new and stringerless stuff has a different feel. They are responsive, but less drivy.

LFT from firewire feels a lot like a hpsb poly with ultralight glassing.

#2672043 - 08/11/17 01:05 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Before I tried XTR, I would demolish a PU board every 6 months. A typical XTR board will last me 2+ years with fairly heavy use and that's comparing both constructions with a stringer and a 4x4oz on top and 4oz glass schedule on the bottom.

Like racer said, they keep their lively feel longer than a PU, don't have to fix cosmetic dings, get custom dims, made in the USA, lots of different models to choose from, and are the closest feeling alternative tech to a PU I've found. I personally haven't found them to be any less drivey, like sharkboy stated. Quite the opposite for me actually. I feel like they have a really positive spring and liveliness out of turns.

#2672126 - 08/11/17 04:52 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
Racer1 Offline
Miki Dora status

All mine are 7.c wood stringer 4x4 deck and 4 bottom.
I surf 95% of my sessions in 20mph side shore wind blowing into the face.
No problem with drive, speed or chatter.

Feels like PU but with 4 times the durability? I don't even know the multiplying factor cause I've never had a PU board feel this good after three years.

Like someone above said, XTR is made in the USA. Add to the value list.

Since I got the XTR Sampler and Neckbeard this year, I decided to start treating my Tomo (3 years old) like an old PU to see how much abuse it can take. I leave it in the car, sometimes on the side of the house with no bag, let friends borrow it, put in the truck with no bag, just being kinda lazy with it. Still holding up well and still feels new when I ride it.

Edited by Racer1 (08/11/17 04:58 PM)

#2672175 - 08/11/17 08:20 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: kool-aid]
Bman76 Online   content
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: kool-aid
Originally Posted By: Bman76
Yeah - i found the carbon wrap just dented up like a golf ball after five or so surfs. It cost me a fortune and i sold it at less than half price only three months later. I've had better experiences in prison and the service industry.

Hmm, that hasn't really been my experience but I do agree they don't hold a lot of value right now.

For sure. I know a few guys who bought at the same time and they are holding up well. Like many large production boards quality can vary. All my firewire boards have been excellent - but i have heard horror stories.

Edited by Bman76 (08/11/17 08:21 PM)

#2672239 - 08/12/17 12:44 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: Bman76]
mjst Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

CI Flexbar construction feels great to surf, very responsive and no chatter at all. Very similar to PU but lighter and way more alive, Noel Salas is right in my opinion....,however CIs claims on it being durable is completely false. They pressure dent easier than PU and the decks are brittle and crack easily. I've had 2 and both have cracked in multiple places on the deck with one cracking under the tail pad. I peeled off the tail pad and was shocked to see a 2 inch crack under my foot (this has never happened in 30 years of surfing). Great feel but not worth the near $900 price tag.

Have to also mention that their warranty doesn't cover cracks in the glass. I've had both of mine used but in near new condition, was considering buying a new one but will not be now.

XTR for durability every time.....

Edited by mjst (08/12/17 07:22 AM)

#2672247 - 08/12/17 03:12 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
surfer4christ Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

You guys have nearly convinced me to drop the $$$ on an XTR. I was planning on going used but this XTR fervor is getting to me!

#2672303 - 08/12/17 12:15 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
pingsc Offline
Grom

I've got a XTR Pyzalien that I've had continuous delamination issues with, which were my own fault. I left the board in full sun for a few hours. I repaired the spot and then played whack-a-mole with new delams for a while before giving up and just letting it happen.

I've also got a Lib-Tech Puddle Jumper, but it's hard to give it a fair review because I only tend to ride it in waves that are barely rideable (think East Coast summer). It's plenty durable though.

Coil gets my vote for favorite alternative construction in terms of durability and ride feel.

#2672358 - 08/12/17 02:36 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
emtee Offline
Nep status

Loc: flat
I had a lib tech and it felt dead...I just don't understand why durability is such a marketing tactic, I'd rather have a board that feels good and alive that will ding than one that feels like shit but doesn't ding (but still dings)

my friend just snapped the nose on his lib tech

#2672376 - 08/12/17 02:55 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
Racer1 Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: surfer4christ
You guys have nearly convinced me to drop the $$$ on an XTR. I was planning on going used but this XTR fervor is getting to me!

Since you know and like the shape/design, invest in XTR and you can get your exact dimensions.
I'd go wood stringer 7.c - it looks and feels most like tradition PU. If weight isn't a concern you could go 7.0 and it will be even more durable.
Always put it in a board bag and out of the sun.
It will last you at least 3 years. I don't even know the end life of an XTR board. Forever? Boredom?

Edited by Racer1 (08/12/17 02:58 PM)

#2672478 - 08/12/17 10:02 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
surfer4christ Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

This is super tempting. Couple more questions:

-Do you guys go with less volume than PU like they recommend on their website?

-I leave my boards in my car a lot : / I have pretty dark tint on all the windows and always put the sun shade up, but it does get hot in there. Just not anywhere close to as hot as no tint/no window shade. I feel kinda dumb but my boards haven't shown any delam. Anyways, does this definitely diminish the life of the board? Will it be even worse for XTR?

#2672513 - 08/13/17 12:41 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
retodd Offline
Duke status

Since it's a puddle jumper you might want to ask for foiled out rails . Stock ones are pretty full

With the car thing , get the white bag that xtr sells and u will be fine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >