REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2672247 - 08/12/17 03:12 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
surfer4christ Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

You guys have nearly convinced me to drop the $$$ on an XTR. I was planning on going used but this XTR fervor is getting to me!

#2672303 - 08/12/17 12:15 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
pingsc Offline
Grom

I've got a XTR Pyzalien that I've had continuous delamination issues with, which were my own fault. I left the board in full sun for a few hours. I repaired the spot and then played whack-a-mole with new delams for a while before giving up and just letting it happen.

I've also got a Lib-Tech Puddle Jumper, but it's hard to give it a fair review because I only tend to ride it in waves that are barely rideable (think East Coast summer). It's plenty durable though.

Coil gets my vote for favorite alternative construction in terms of durability and ride feel.

#2672358 - 08/12/17 02:36 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
emtee Offline
Nep status

Loc: flat
I had a lib tech and it felt dead...I just don't understand why durability is such a marketing tactic, I'd rather have a board that feels good and alive that will ding than one that feels like shit but doesn't ding (but still dings)

my friend just snapped the nose on his lib tech

#2672376 - 08/12/17 02:55 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
Racer1 Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: surfer4christ
You guys have nearly convinced me to drop the $$$ on an XTR. I was planning on going used but this XTR fervor is getting to me!

Since you know and like the shape/design, invest in XTR and you can get your exact dimensions.
I'd go wood stringer 7.c - it looks and feels most like tradition PU. If weight isn't a concern you could go 7.0 and it will be even more durable.
Always put it in a board bag and out of the sun.
It will last you at least 3 years. I don't even know the end life of an XTR board. Forever? Boredom?

Edited by Racer1 (08/12/17 02:58 PM)

#2672478 - 08/12/17 10:02 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
surfer4christ Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

This is super tempting. Couple more questions:

-Do you guys go with less volume than PU like they recommend on their website?

-I leave my boards in my car a lot : / I have pretty dark tint on all the windows and always put the sun shade up, but it does get hot in there. Just not anywhere close to as hot as no tint/no window shade. I feel kinda dumb but my boards haven't shown any delam. Anyways, does this definitely diminish the life of the board? Will it be even worse for XTR?

#2672513 - 08/13/17 12:41 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
retodd Offline
Duke status

Since it's a puddle jumper you might want to ask for foiled out rails . Stock ones are pretty full

With the car thing , get the white bag that xtr sells and u will be fine

#2672515 - 08/13/17 01:01 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
J_D_J Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: The OC
I get paranoid about leaving XTR boards in my car, and I've owned a bunch of XTR boards (I really like the construction).

there are still delam issues with those boards.

#2672548 - 08/13/17 09:22 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: surfer4christ
This is super tempting. Couple more questions:

-Do you guys go with less volume than PU like they recommend on their website?

-I leave my boards in my car a lot : / I have pretty dark tint on all the windows and always put the sun shade up, but it does get hot in there. Just not anywhere close to as hot as no tint/no window shade. I feel kinda dumb but my boards haven't shown any delam. Anyways, does this definitely diminish the life of the board? Will it be even worse for XTR?

What Retodd said. With XTR, get a white bag, don't fully zip that bag tight when left in the car (leave about 4" open around the tail for ventilation), and crack your vehicle windows the slightest bit (1/4"). You should be fine. I leave mine in my car all day every day, but I have a truck with a tonneau cover.

You don't need to decrease the volume of XTRs to make them feel like your poly board. They will feel very close in normal dims. If you're really volume sensitive and it's in your head that it's going to feel different, decrease thickness of an XTR by 1/16".

#2672579 - 08/13/17 11:55 AM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
You could always ask Javier for more holes to vent.

#2672645 - 08/13/17 03:53 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: ghostshaper]
Racer1 Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper
You could always ask Javier for more holes to vent.

Didn't know that was a possibility...

But none of my XTR's have delamed (yet).

I have a FCD Surfboard (XPS foam) that delamed, I just poked two holes in the bubbles like XTR would do and all good.

#2672697 - 08/13/17 07:19 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: Racer1]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Not sure what he'd say but since he's still putting holes in the glass, what's a few more?

#2672744 - 08/13/17 10:38 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
Dudebro Online   content
Nep status

Loc: Oceanside
Possibly my favorite board of all time delamed in the tail after about five trips to hot locations and 8 years in action. Also busted a fin out on the sand bar at Colorados. The late great Joe Hendig fixed the fin box for me. Say late and great because he moved on to repairing carbon bicycle frames instead of surfboards and even though he is missed it is better for him. I digress though. After all this took the board to Javier to see what could be done and he had his crew fix it up. You would not even know if you were not looking for it. The board still rocks and might make another trip to Indo. Thanks Javier.

Am a big fan of XTR and the durability they have.

#2672751 - 08/13/17 11:08 PM Re: Any alternative constructions to AVOID (e.g. Libtech, Carbon Wrap, those by ...Lost)? [Re: surfer4christ]
Racer1 Offline
Miki Dora status

8+ fcking years!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3